Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FLEET COMMLINE ALPHA > Galactica and Fleets News
Notices
Galactica and Fleets News ADMIN ANNOUNCED, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and
COLONIAL FLEETS NEWS
ONLY please.

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Tigerclaw

Thumbs up Joining you & Banning Neo-Galactica from my sites!

I just wanted to let you know that after reading your comments on this issue, and after reading Ronald D. Moore's B.S. response, I have decided to follow your lead and BAN neo-Galactica from my site's message board.

I am also working to get this done over at B5Tech.com, which hosts the b.board for my Galactica Technology page.

Keep up the good fight!

Old October 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Welcome to Colonial Fleets, Tigerclaw.

I just visited your site....very nice. I look forward to visiting it again soon. Also, the tech site is one that I'd never seen before.....hmmm, think I've got another place to check out.

Oh, forgive my manners....what's a welcome without one of these

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Did you run the old News Flash Galactica site?
Another Film Maker
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4
larocque6689
Warrior

I am closing all the TNS forums at my site.

Wait... I don't have ANY forums at my site ;-)
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

No you don't? Another subject, who is the old dude with the Cylon suit, how long ago did he buy it?
Another Film Maker
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:58 AM   #6
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerclaw
I just wanted to let you know that after reading your comments on this issue, and after reading Ronald D. Moore's B.S. response, I have decided to follow your lead and BAN neo-Galactica from my site's message board.

I am also working to get this done over at B5Tech.com, which hosts the b.board for my Galactica Technology page.

Keep up the good fight!
Tigerclaw .. I have always enjoyed your Technology page .. great to have you here..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:29 AM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

Wink

From the first day that I established Battlestar Caprica, I have never allowed discussion of TNS. Nor will I ever. We have other scifi shows there and so if you want to check it out, here is the link http://viperqueen.proboards18.com

We have an rpg that is running as well. Many canon characters are still available.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the support Tigerclaw, it's nice to know that were not alone in our fight.

Jon, if i remember right yes he did run the News FLash Galactica site. If i recall he also was an avid modelor back then.

Hmmm?

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I considered striking GINO from AllGalactica.com but thought that wasn't viable given the mission of the site. I just couldn't justify saying "everything Galactica except for that thing Ron Moore did". It won't recieve any better consideration than Galactica 1980 or Larson's IMAX idea. I will spend some good efforts on the guys who created the Mark II Viper model and that sort of thing so the hardware will be flaunted. Otherwise, the site will have the GINO elements that are mandatory and little more.

On a more personal note, I erased the GINO episodes from my DVR. I'm not sure why I had the episodes saved anyway since I had no intention of watching them again. I've also withdrawn support for the GINO fanfilm efforts I was engaged in. The folks who were working these are great people and they honestly didn't ask me to do very much but I can't conciously support anything GINO related anymore (beyond the AllGalactica.com mandate -- and then only on that site as required). I've also dropped plans to bring some GINO-related content to IFB. I had a couple of things lined up for future broadcasts that I thought would likely interest GINO fans, partly to balance the slamming I gave the show in illustating its anti-Americanism/anti-military aspects but I think GINO can be altogether ignored on Bill's show without any harm being done. If Bill wants to do these things, he can do them without my efforts helping them along.

I would like to thank Jim (KR) for offerring to help with some of that. I appreciate your support on that even though it won't likely come to pass now.

For those who were on the waiting list for me to do some GINO graphics to help your sites and personal projects, sorry, but it won't happen. If you really need my work, contact Michael Hinman or Robert Falconer. They're both skilled at stealing my stuff.

If anyone else would like my help in promoting or otherwise helping in anything GINO-related the answer is "No", no matter how nicely you ask or how great you guys are personally ... and yes, I know some of you really are super people.

I'm another of those who has hit the point where I say "Enough" regardless of any damage control letters Ron might want to send to try to spare his image or idiots who "bravely" slam good people from behind their keyboard and sound an aweful lot like Ted.

Sandy
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

My Yahoo group used to have discussions on the new show, but after some of the bile spewed by many of the TOS fans there (especially towards Richard Hatch), I banned discussion in any form of TNS long ago. The membership was more focused on trashing the new show, than on discussing the TOS (and other sci-fi) fanfics that were posted there by many talented people. I damn near shut the group down because of their personal attacks against people they don't even know.

My site was meant as a celebration of TOS, and in my definition, celebration of one thing does not mean trashing of another.

I hope it will be the same way here. If TNS discussion is truly forbidden, then that includes both praise, and trashing of the new show (and everything in between). That is all I will say on that.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #11
Zynn
Shuttle Pilot

Heya...

I'm new here...

Would someone be kind enough to explain to me why the new BSG is being boycotted/banned here as well as other sites?

I read the Ron Moore letter, but it sounded like a response to the bannings, not the reason for them...
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #12
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Zynn, the thread is here: http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=11888 It's about the show's content, not about it's fans.

Welcome to fleets.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #13
Zynn
Shuttle Pilot

Wow ok...

All I can say is, I'm in my 30s... I grew up on TOS as a kid...

I grew up on Star Wars as well...

I've noticed that each incarnation of the Star Wars universe, is still targeted toward the child I once was... This irritates me... Something I love didn't grow up with me...

The BSG new series did... It isn't target toward the child I once was... and it IS realistic...

Is everyone blind to the way humans in this day and age really are?

We have real beheadings on the internet...
We have people strapping bombs to themselves and running into crowds...
During the Hurricane Katrina ordeal, we had looters killing other looters for their loot... People looting bodies of the dead laying in the streets... People trampling and killing other people in order to save themselves...

So many other evils going on in the world, which only get amplified during times of crisis and devastation... During these times, people are out for themselves... they are animals...

So why isn't it realistic that people behave the same way or worse when their entire world gets destroyed and they are trapped, stir-crazy and constantly being hunted down for termination? I have yet to see anything in TNS that I wouldn't think that people are capable of here and now...

As for the military, I spent a decade in the U.S. Army, in a combat arms unit, and have seen some awful things... There is no sugar-coating to make things go down easier... There is no hard candy shell to protect you... Some people just change during these situations and end up doing awful things...

So while some of you would rather avoid or denounce realism by hiding in the fru-fru cosmic joyride that TOS gives to you, I'd rather see truth depicted as well... the way humans *really* are... Of course TOS was more familiy friendly, the FCC/broadcasting laws were very different back then as were the target audiences...

TOS and TNS are works of art and expression...

TOS being more traditional while TNS being more avante-garde in their direction...
To ban, boycott, denounce, etc TNS is censorship and repression...

This is a huge sci-fi website... not unlike a huge art gallery...
You banish an avante-garde work in favor of the traditional old way...

So did Hitler...

Does TNS really have to be considered "Entartete Kunst"?

If the problem is that grown adults are actually being so juvenile as to fight/argue/flame each other over the differences of TV shows in the threads because they have no other outlets for frustration in their dull and pathetic lives, then just get rid of them... Hell, bring the section back and I will mod it... I'm admin on a couple boards now, I'm sure I can mod on yet another one...

The people who don't like TNS don't have to go into the section... I'm sure that people who don't like Stargate SG1 don't go into that section... Seems simple to me... Just like changing the channel when there is an infomercial on you don't want to see...

I like both shows, so I would fight just as hard to keep either one...

Just my two cents...
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #14
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Thanks for your comments, Zynn. Discussion of the merits or lack of in TNS is over here. Some of our members are Jewish and any references to the actions of a single, small website on the internet to what their people and much of Europe sufferered under Hitler is at worst utterly out of proportion to that monster's crimes and at best an insult. You have internet access, you have the ability to use any number of free forum providers to build your own forum.

The people here are passionate about the original Galactica. Those who also enjoy TNS are finding new places (and there are MANY) to discuss that show at. You're fellow TNS fans assembled a list which can be found in the Forum Feedback section. Enjoy exploring them.

Any other discussion of TNS will be deleted from this thread.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #15
gmd3d
Major

Lucky I did not post in time.. I spent ages work on a cool answer

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #16
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Sorry Taranis!

As you know, the art section can still have both TOS or TNS (or art from any other franchise as well: ST, SW, SG, etc.). It's the discussion of the series that's gone.

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #17
gmd3d
Major

ahhhhhh!!! Ok as long as I post my Pics I a happy camper ..

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #18
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Don wants the site to be more art focused again, so post away!

You do good work and this is a good venue for getting feedback on your work without, say, getting ripped up on renderosity.

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #19
gmd3d
Major

Cool

Old October 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #20
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Zynn, one thing i'd like to add. Your talent as an artist is really exceptional. That's where ultimately i want this site to focus on, art. We haven't banned anything regarding art. You might say to yourself then why ban the new Galactica? Well some of us still want that family show and there's really nothing out of this world about it. You said you grew up with BG. Well so did i and a ton of others as well that feel BG has not come back with it's core elements in tact. BG had a certain flare to it, a certain epic feeling that i want as a scifi fan to feel again.

To be quite honest with you i find scifi not scifi anymore. Real world events should be left to the nightly news. Constantly pushing real world events into entertainment has not only become consistent in everything but to me and many others it has also become down right boring. The new Galactica is drama with suit and ties, hummers and sub machine guns. It's like watching the nightly news with the events depicted in Iraq. Where is the epic feel, where is the fantasy of being swept away to another universe. As much as some have expressed disdaine over what Lucas did with Star Wars, i feel that if i need to forget the real world for a small amount of time i can watch Star Wars or TOS Galactica and be swept away from all my real life troubles. For just a small amount of time it's a different world.

I guess in the long run it's about what *we* here want to see happen. TOS Galactica is a vastly under developed product. Singer and DeSanto were on the cusp of bringing Galactica back with a bang. There was updated material and more than likely there would have been things we would have not liked as well but the core element would have been intact. Galactica right now in my eyes and other's is the next great franchise. At it's present pace the new series is only drawing a maximum of 2 million viewers. TOS Galactica drew 70 million during it's run. A vastly different product, a vastly different time.

I hope that you can understand our thoughts on this but if you can't i totally understand. Your artwork is superb and i'd like to see more of it.

Don
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #21
Zynn
Shuttle Pilot

Whoa... Don't get me wrong...

I wasn't attempting to start a fight...

Just speaking what's on my mind...

Also, I made no mention of what that he did to Jews... I only referred to what he did to artistic expressions... He did that before he lashed out at the Jewish people... so it's not a Holocaust discussion...

Your Quote: "Some of our members are Jewish and any references to the actions of a single, small website on the internet to what their people and much of Europe sufferered under Hitler is at worst utterly out of proportion to that monster's crimes and at best an insult."

Actually, you using all of his crimes as a whole to snap at me with is WAY out of proportion to the one non-lethal act that I pointed out as an example... even more so since you are using it as an implication that I am in any way attempting a deliberate insult upon this site or the people who run it...

If I am guilty of anything it is of thinking I could speak my mind in a civil manner without having a mod flex at me and insinuate that I am spewing an insult.

I love Sci-fi, I stumbled upon this site, I like it, so just let me have my sci-fi fun without the politics...

BTW, I am European as well... I moved to the US with my mother when I was young... So yeah, my family tree was affected during WWII as well...

-----------------------------------------------

hmmm apparently I didn't know that someone else posted while I was typing this...
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #22
gmd3d
Major

Here 'here .. always wanted to say that.. I guess I am easly pleased
Anyho got anymore rendering coming this way any time soon.

Old October 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #23
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynn
Whoa... Don't get me wrong...

I wasn't attempting to start a fight...

Just speaking what's on my mind...

Also, I made no mention of what that he did to Jews... I only referred to what he did to artistic expressions... He did that before he lashed out at the Jewish people... so it's not a Holocaust discussion...

Your Quote: "Some of our members are Jewish and any references to the actions of a single, small website on the internet to what their people and much of Europe sufferered under Hitler is at worst utterly out of proportion to that monster's crimes and at best an insult."

Actually, you using all of his crimes as a whole to snap at me with is WAY out of proportion to the one non-lethal act that I pointed out as an example... even more so since you are using it as an implication that I am in any way attempting a deliberate insult upon this site or the people who run it...

If I am guilty of anything it is of thinking I could speak my mind in a civil manner without having a mod flex at me and insinuate that I am spewing an insult.

I love Sci-fi, I stumbled upon this site, I like it, so just let me have my sci-fi fun without the politics...

BTW, I am European as well... I moved to the US with my mother when I was young... So yeah, my family tree was affected during WWII as well...

-----------------------------------------------

hmmm apparently I didn't know that someone else posted while I was typing this...
Zynn, sorry if I was reactive. I had a friend I no longer get to chat with pushed over the edge by a troll clone a few years ago that started making comparisons of TOS fans to Hitler a few years back. Anytime I see someone using that reference I think of the personal pain it caused him.

This is still a good place for artwork of any scifi show.

Jewels

Old October 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #24
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Well... that was certainly a noise... but like a warm breeze, its past.. lets crank the music a bit, sip a little cylon juice and get back to the regularly schedules chaos... :P

tabbi
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #25
gmd3d
Major

I have a Guinness and a new render by Zynn..

Old October 6th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #26
larocque6689
Warrior

Jewels

According to Dawg, there was a campaign by a handful of "GINO" supporters to convert this board (and all BSG boards) into a "GINO" Galactica board. With that assessment, I think it's fair to say the decision wasn't exclusively driven by the show's content.

( Note - I was unaware there was any campaign by these supporters. There were definite issues with the forum, but I never saw this as one of them. )
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #27
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

If I recall correctly, John, that comment came last week after the announcement of the decision to close down the GINO discussion forum. And, I was referring to those few individuals (or their clones) who continually berated us (CF) for allowing a real discussion of the show rather than falling in with the party line and worshipping the Moore creation as the greatest television ever.

They waged a losing campaign.

The decision to close the forums was made based on the show content. The fact there were those particular - *ahem* - people throwing fuel on the fire certainly didn't help, but they weren't the major issue.

Just to be clear about that.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #28
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I think you've made it perfectly clear my friend!

Best,

Peter
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #29
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Those are all points! And I am glad people asked questions. I demand answers! I feel that both sides have their own views. Further, I feel that there are conflicting things happenning at times in places that make it hard to do what would normally be done in those places at those times. Finally I would like to thank you all for the things you have done, and to show my appreciation for the things undone. Thank you all, and have a day.

tabbi
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #30
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I have a Guinness and a new render by Zynn..
*shudder on the Guinness*

Closed Thread