gmd3d
Major

you can count on me .. for sure

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #32
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I have to admit there is something highly condescending in our being asked to produce 10,000 signatures just to prove there's any kind of interest in continuation stories in a comic book devoted to Battlestar Galactica. It frankly shows a condescending approach to the subject material in that they feel evidently it's not strong enough to be sustained beyond the nuances of the original episodes (or maybe their writers just aren't creative enough to come up with some ideas on the subject).

Regardless of what happens on this, I think TOS fandom got screwed big time that this company ended up with the rights. At a time when a Galactica comic most needed the likes of a Chris Scalf, what we got instead are people who are fundamentally clueless about all things in the TOS universe, and boy does it ever show.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #33
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Howdy, KJ.

I am really sorry that someone decided to fake your name and use it for trolling purposes. I don't think I have any editing control whatsoever over the petition once it's been signed.....and that is sad....because I hate hearing of one of my friends' names being besmirched in this manner.

And you are correct, the signings are now coming in low and slow. It would take forever to get 10,000 names....let alone 5,000 on a subject like this.

Fortunately, I have not (as BST advised me) put too much emotional capital into this. I am glad people are signing, but it's not bringing in the numbers that I figured it would if TOS did indeed have such a super-loyal fanbase. I figured TOS fans would be chomping at the bit for something like this...but all indications are that it isn't the case.

I wish I could delete the name, KJ, but as far as I know, I can't. Probably the only thing I could do is see if I can just halt the petition. It's lost its steam already....count is now up to 73 names...and many of those are annonymous...not very encouraging.

I guess that's what I get for trying to be proactive about something.

The other thing that's irking me (and I should've entered a caveat advising against such things) are these people that are trashing TNS in their signatures/comments. This is about the original series. There is NO NEED whatsoever for them to bring up the new show.

That's what I get for trying to show my loyalty to the original show.

In fact, I am of half a mind to just halt the petition and concede.

TOS fans apparently DON'T want a continuation. The word's been spread, and I know there are more members at the TOS sites than have signed the petition. Maybe not in the thousands...but certainly more than the 73 who have signed thus far.

I dunno. I'll let the petition fly a little longer....and if it doesn't pick up steam soon...I'm just gonna terminate it, and not bother Dynamite anymore about it.

Again, KJ, I am really sorry that some airhead (substituted for the word I'd really like to use) had to trash your name like that...and outside of terminating the petition, I wish there was something more I could do.

DAMN!!!!

I better stop before I go off on a tirade.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, bro.

Martok2112
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #34
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Martok, you did the best you could do with a stacked deck that was dealt you. IMO, Rybrandt was well aware of what one is up against when one gets forced to go this kind of route, in which the true measure of what TOS fandom thinks about wanting continuation stories can not possibly be measured by an on-line petition that the rank-and-file of TOS fandom can not easily find access to. He was trying to come up with something to say with a sham air of legitimacy that what they're doing is just fine and wonderful, and only a bunch of malcontents in need of a life think otherwise. That is IMO all that's been demonstrated here, and not that there isn't a groundswell of desire for continuation stories in this medium.

What Rybrandt and company should have the guts to do is *do* a continuation storyline and see what the reaction is from the audience, because *that* would be a true test of its potential and not what's happening in this way the cards were dealt.

And you are right, that other show should not be part of the equation when judging this. But let's not forget that Rybrandt and company were the ones who rather senselessly brought it into the mix to use as part of their justification for not doing a continuation storyline, and that doesn't speak well of them anymore than those who would use the petition as an occasion to reopen that debate again.

You are to be commended for having tried to take a step, and for that a well-earned salute (I can't get the icon to work!) from all of us.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old November 24th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #35
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Hey Eric,

If you're doing the smilie, "longhand", it would be : salute : (of course, delete the spaces before and after the colons).

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #36
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well, here it is this time, better late than never!

Old November 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #37
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thanks, Eric.
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #38
jjrakman

Don't be too discouraged Martok. You did your best. This show definitely has a super-loyal fanbase, but it also has a lazy and pessimistic fanbase as well. A good part of this has been brought about by being pissed on repeatedly, so it's understandable to a point. Since the announcement of, well you know, it's generally taken an Act of Congress to mobilize this fanbase to do much of anything, with only a dedicated few still willing to contribute some sweat equity. Most I think are just worn out from trying to have dialogue with a production company that for all practical purposes seems like a brick wall.
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #39
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I think that hits the nail on another point, namely that so many of us in the fanbase feel tired of having to prove something through petitions, or taking out ads in Variety to get the point across about what we think about TOS and would like to see. A lot of us, especially myself, think that what we've done for so many years to demonstrate appreciation for TOS should be something that should be *instinctively* recognized by the Powers That Be who control these things, but it seems like that effort always gets brushed aside and always anything bearing the name "Battlestar Galactica" is used by those Powers That Be in a way that never once gives any consideration for the people that love Galactica most.

Old November 24th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #40
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

That constant need for us having to 'prove something' is another thing that didn't go over too well with me. While giving the petition all the attention that it deserves, we also decided to invite Rybrandt to this site as well as other TOS sites. Let him see for himself what this fanbase has to offer.

Who knows, maybe some of our Colonial Library residents can offer some pointers.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #41
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the kind words, JJ.

Well...lemme check and see where the petition stands now.

We're up to seventy four names. (Thanks, Julix )

I can most assuredly understand the situation for my TOS-only brethren and sisters. After so long of feeling like the fanbase has been ignored in one form or another, it does end up getting to the point of "What's the point?"

So, still, it's up to the fans to keep the spirit of the show alive through fanworks (fanfic, fanfilms, fanart, fanaudio, etc.)

I will still continue to support the Classic (and TNS) Galactica comics, and try to maintain a dialogue with Joe and Tommy, and try to plow the road for a possible continuation story.

Wish me luck, folks.

Appreciatively,
Martok2112
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #42
jjrakman

I think Kingfish also has Battlestar Rycon, and there's a Battlestar Orion.

But I think inviting them here and at other websites is a good idea. Hell, every registered member should serve as a signature in and of themselves.
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #43
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Rycon is only the back-up site for Pacifica. Once you post the info on Pacifica, you pretty much take care of those associated with his sites.

Old November 25th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #44
KJ
Strike Leader

I had a good mind to post a disclaimer saying that person/poster was wrongly using my name. But as i'm saying, such a thing needs to come from somebody else here? I'm also surprised how nobody else noticed this and didn't say anything until i brought it to everyone's attention, surely other Galactica fans would've reckonised that something was up (as i've seen various names from BG fandom members on there) thats how it is huh?

I really ought to post as somebody annonymous and say whomever at "number 69" isn't me. But i just don't want to fall for that crap is all.

Whomever posted it hasn't grown up and just wants attention badly to disrupt a petition.

And as i've said, although i understand the importance of this petition. What its asking is kinda too much and should've been a little more reasonable considering the circumstances of a Galactica comic book's revival each time its happened etc.

And thank you for the kind words Martok.

Perhaps you and others can explain to RGrant next you seen him elsewhere's, that the person messing around on this petition isn't the KJ of BG fandom he's talked to in the past etc.

KJ
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #45
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I'll try to PM RGrant and advise him of such, KJ.
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #46
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Yo Martok!

I see this petition has probably brought "trolls" out as i see number 69 of the petition has somebody claiming to be me? Ted? Languatron? Scooter, Stallion and the idiotic moist boys? I don't know do did that, but i haven't signed this thing yet (how could i have, i've been away?) So i suggest if you have any connections with this Joe person, please retify this nonsense and remove any Trollish comments front here etc. whomever's I.P. address was used to make that idiotic signature '69' should be tracked down and be dealt with, ban their i.P. address etc. Cos i don't want some "braindead" loser using my name in that way claiming i said that sh*t?

Kinda childish of whomever to stir up any possibly 'hornets nest' with this crap after 5 or so years later on the internet don't ya think!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/B...ignatures.html

Pathetic of whomever to try and get a rise in this way.

Be gutsy enough to challenge or reveal yourself to me and everybody else or go away you sad excuse of a person?

KJ

Hey, KJ,

I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. I think it needs burping.

Just to let you know, I spoke with RGrant via PM, and he wants you to know that all is well between you and him. I explained the situation, and he has his suspicions about who may have done this, but obviously I won't post those suspicions in open forum.

Your name is good with him, and all is cool.

If I can find the means to edit my petition, I will.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

P.S. The petition has stagnated at 78 signatures.
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #47
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks for that Martok.

I better get burping then?

KJ
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #48
KJ
Strike Leader

Done try re-sending your PM.

KJ
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #49