Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old March 20th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Mustex
On Vacation...

Default GWOM question

I've been trying to figure out how to order the magazine, but can't seem to get the form, or something. Can someone please just tell me what to write down, and where to send it to?

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #2
julix
Bad Email Address

I am not sure but did you check the website?
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #3
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix
I am not sure but did you check the website?
Yes. I checked several affiliated with it as well. The closest I came was comicslop.com, which is apparently supposed to have a form for ordering it, but so far as I can tell doesn't.

I UNDERSTAND THAT GWOM IS GOING TO BE CAMP! I ALSO UNDERSTAND IT'S A WAY FOR HATCH TO TOOT HIS OWN HORN THE SAME WAY SHATNER DOES! BUT I STILL KNOW IT'S GOING TO ROCK (most people think Tekwar did too...speaking of which I need to read/watch/both that some time)! AND I WANT TO READ ABOUT IT!

Old March 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

HEY, MUSTEX!

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING????

Doesn't seem all that noisy in here....

If I heard correctly, the GWOM site is undergoing an update and some time in the next week or two there will be new stuff.

If I heard right.

I had not heard that GWOM was going to be campy, and what I've seen doesn't have that feel. Do you have any source that is saying that this is the case?

Shatner's a better writer than he's given credit for. I've read all the Tekwar books (seen many of the show's episodes, too - I like Greg Evigan) and I've read his Star Trek books and own a couple others as well. He's fortunate that his face and name are still recognized enough to be sought out as a spokesman, talented enough to produce creative works, and savvy enough to market himself so he remains financially secure. And have the time to do all of it.

No, I'm not a particularly big fan of his, but I do admire a smart man.

I would not categorize Richard Hatch pushing GWOM as 'tooting his own horn', though. He's in the business, being creative, and doing his job. If some money-men listen to him and he recovers his costs and gains some clout in the process, then I say more power to him.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

As much as I think Kirk should stay dead, I did like what I have seen of Tekwar.
Old March 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

The Chat transcript has Richard stating the status of the GWoM web site.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #7
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
HEY, MUSTEX!

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING????
Just felt good.

Quote:
I had not heard that GWOM was going to be campy, and what I've seen doesn't have that feel. Do you have any source that is saying that this is the case?
Of all the sci-fi and fantasy shows I've ever seen, only Andromeda and TNS don't qualify as "campy" in my book (although they both have campy moments). B5 might not be, but I haven't seen that (I want to though). Basically, I consider things with alot of "soft" science to be "campy". Under that definition "non-campy" is almost unheard of. Also, "epics" tend to be campier, because they involve larger-than-life characters (another staple of "campy"). I'm not insulting any of these things, just saying that I think they're pretty dang unlikely.

Quote:
I would not categorize Richard Hatch pushing GWOM as 'tooting his own horn', though. He's in the business, being creative, and doing his job. If some money-men listen to him and he recovers his costs and gains some clout in the process, then I say more power to him.

I am
Dawg
O.k., so he just writes a story, putting his heart and soul into it, and decides to shoot a trailer. The time comes for the trailer, and he starts running screen tests. Then, irony of ironies, he finds out that he looks exactly like the main character, and is the perfect person to play him.

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
O.k., so he just writes a story, putting his heart and soul into it, and decides to shoot a trailer. The time comes for the trailer, and he starts running screen tests. Then, irony of ironies, he finds out that he looks exactly like the main character, and is the perfect person to play him.
Mustex -

It's fairly common these days for actors to Produce, Direct and Act all at once in the same feature or series. As far as genre SciFi goes, the first one that comes to mind is Richard Dean Anderson in SG-1. Look at all the Trek actors that have directed episodes they acted in - Gates McFadden, LeVar Burton, Jonathan Frakes (who also directed 2 Trek films). Some of those actors continued to direct in other Trek series such as Voyager and Enterprise.

Outside of the genre, I can think of names like Tom Hanks and Drew Barrymore to name just a couple. When Hollywood has only so many roles around, there are some actors that choose to make their own opportunites - on both sides of the camera.

Just because the industry lables someone an actor, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. It's a rare one that has what it takes to wear more than one hat and wear it well.

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM   #9
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

The only thing remotely campy about the GWoM trailer was it was modeled and composited by semi-pros (as far as movie experience and available hardware for rendering). He's got some good actors, some young actors, some very experienced, well-trained actors. That he plays the sort of "middle-aged" Akillian: I've always taken it as that was one less body to find plus he wrote the character and knows him the best so why not play him? It's only a concept trailer. Richard Lynch played the aged Akillian, at least in the trailer version I saw a year ago.

Actors that did well with parts they wrote and directed and acted include Mel Gibson in Braveheart. His directorial debut and won him the best director Oscar that year. Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford have had their share of multiple-hat successes. Katherine Hepburn did it back when actresses and especially women were not supposed to be producers (The Philadelphia Story). Ron Howard has had as much success (if not more) behind the camera, as in front of it. Jonathan Frakes is known for being a decent director, post-TNG (decent doesn't always mean the movies are successful, just that he puts the film together well, even if the story is not that great).

Just some food for thought.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM   #10
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Mustex -

It's fairly common these days for actors to Produce, Direct and Act all at once in the same feature or series. As far as genre SciFi goes, the first one that comes to mind is Richard Dean Anderson in SG-1. Look at all the Trek actors that have directed episodes they acted in - Gates McFadden, LeVar Burton, Jonathan Frakes (who also directed 2 Trek films). Some of those actors continued to direct in other Trek series such as Voyager and Enterprise.

Outside of the genre, I can think of names like Tom Hanks and Drew Barrymore to name just a couple. When Hollywood has only so many roles around, there are some actors that choose to make their own opportunites - on both sides of the camera.

Just because the industry lables someone an actor, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. It's a rare one that has what it takes to wear more than one hat and wear it well.

Best,
Bryan
Yes, but all those actors do those things because it helps both their careers, and their egos. Do you think Clint Eastwood isn't tooting his own horn when he directs a trillion movies staring himself? And from what I've read Captains Return involves Kirk coming back, and single-handedly taking out the TNG crowd. I'm not saying it keeps these works from being quality, simply that at some level their ego-driven. That's why Hatch created Akillian specifically for himself.

Old March 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM   #11
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
The only thing remotely campy about the GWoM trailer was it was modeled and composited by semi-pros (as far as movie experience and available hardware for rendering).
Maybe I was jumping to conclusions, because I knew it was from Hatch (I was expecting it to have something resembling the style of TOS). I haven't been able to download the trailer, and have only seen stills from it. Either way, I think it looks great.

Quote:
Actors that did well with parts they wrote and directed and acted include Mel Gibson in Braveheart. His directorial debut and won him the best director Oscar that year. Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford have had their share of multiple-hat successes. Katherine Hepburn did it back when actresses and especially women were not supposed to be producers (The Philadelphia Story). Ron Howard has had as much success (if not more) behind the camera, as in front of it. Jonathan Frakes is known for being a decent director, post-TNG (decent doesn't always mean the movies are successful, just that he puts the film together well, even if the story is not that great).

Just some food for thought.
Yes, but all these actors are still driven by ego at some level.

Old March 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM   #12
repcisg
Bad Email Address

We are all driven by ego, Doctors, Lawyers, Carpenters, Movie Actors - you name it, every successful person has an ego.

Especially BB posters.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #13
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
We are all driven by ego, Doctors, Lawyers, Carpenters, Movie Actors - you name it, every successful person has an ego.

Especially BB posters.
Exactly!

Old March 21st, 2005, 06:19 PM   #14
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I’m looking forward to Richards story, from what I’ve seen so far it has an interesting twist, on the apocalyptic fall of a civilization.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:35 AM   #15
Fragmentary

I desperatly hope that Hatch gets the chance to really make something happen with GWOM. I support any project that is fueled by one person's passion. So often movies and televisions shows are weak just because there isn't a single person working on them that really deeply cares about what they are making. That's why sequels for both movies and books so often fall flat. They're just going through the motions and cashing fat checks. Hatch is obviously driven by his love of this idea. That's the kind of scenario that produces real gems. Good luck to him. It would be nice if there were more success stories in Hollywood about somebody getting their personal dream project on the screen.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:04 AM   #16
GalacticanCajun
Warrior

Just watched the trailer. Looks like a great story. Is this to be a TV series, a telemovie or a theatrical release?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM   #17
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticanCajun
Just watched the trailer. Looks like a great story. Is this to be a TV series, a telemovie or a theatrical release?
Hatch will take any, but so far he's only been able to get comics.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:02 PM   #18
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Mustex,

Was there a point to your last reply?

Perhaps, if you viewed Hatch as someone who has a vision for a story and as someone who is trying to marshal the resources needed to make that vision a reality, then perhaps you would have a different opinion of it and him.

I strongly suggest that you give it some thought.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #19
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Mustex,

Perhaps, if you viewed Hatch as someone who has a vision for a story and as someone who is trying to marshal the resources needed to make that vision a reality, then perhaps you would have a different opinion of it and him.

Pete -

I've been wondering the same thing... The thread started out as an inquiry for info regarding GWoM and since then, that person has criticized and marginalized the creator (Hatch) for his efforts. The info has been provided and disucssed (at some level), maybe this thread has served it's purpose and should be closed.

Just a suggestion -

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM   #20
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Mustex,

BST
I was simply stating that Hatch will use whatever format he can to portray GWOM. Is this incorrect? Are you denying that if he could do it in as a T.V. show or movie instead of a comic he would?

Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM   #21
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Pete -

I've been wondering the same thing... The thread started out as an inquiry for info regarding GWoM and since then, that person has criticized and marginalized the creator (Hatch) for his efforts. The info has been provided and disucssed (at some level), maybe this thread has served it's purpose and should be closed.

Just a suggestion -

Bryan
I simply said that at some level Hatch is glorifying himself through Akillian. I write stories and glorify myself through the characters. That doesn't mean my stories are bad (or at least I hope not), simply that at some level they're ego-driven.

Anyway, back on the topic has anyone been able to order the magazine?

Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #22
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Mustex,

Let me ask a question - is there a literary rule that says an author cannot "glorify" himself or herself through a character is his/her story?

If the answer is no, which I feel very confident that it is then, what would be the problem if Hatch does choose to go that route? The story is, or should be, the primary concern. As with a story, of any genre, the author's primary goal is to capture the reader's interest. If the story does that, then it is deemed to be a worthwhile story. If not, then you don't read it again.

Rather simple, eh?

Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #23
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I see someone skating on the edges of antagonizms... and that edge is about to chip off.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM   #24
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I had a friend mail me a copy. *still eagerly anticipating*

Once comicslop has their order page running you should be able to get it. Or talk to someone at a comic book shop. It's published by Blam! comics but the imprint will be Vanguard for the comics themselves as they start to come out later this spring. Or go to a convention that Richard or the comic company will be at.

Oh, as to people glorifying themselves being about ego: sometime peruse the autobiographical section of your library or bookstore. Out of Africa and West with the Night are 2 I'd recommend off the top of my head, one of the authors is Issak Dinesin (spelling is not correct), the other was one of her friends, I think. Fantastic prose, amazing adventure in both. Kamikaze Cowboy is a positively unique one that Dirk wrote about himself, also extremely well written. I still need to read some Churchill myself. Though ego was centric to the survival strength in each of these people, you will find that they are not books about ego.

Some people are just excellent storytellers: some of fiction, others of their own lives, others of other folks' lives. Magellan has the potential of the wonder of the first time you saw The Matrix, or read LotR. It will be wonderful to see how it plays out, and where the market will allow it to go.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM   #25
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Mustex,

Let me ask a question - is there a literary rule that says an author cannot "glorify" himself or herself through a character is his/her story?

If the answer is no, which I feel very confident that it is then, what would be the problem if Hatch does choose to go that route? The story is, or should be, the primary concern. As with a story, of any genre, the author's primary goal is to capture the reader's interest. If the story does that, then it is deemed to be a worthwhile story. If not, then you don't read it again.

Rather simple, eh?

That's exactly what I said! I don't mean this as a flame but, as with a certain earlier debate, I don't think you're reading my posts very thoroughly.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:43 PM   #26
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Sorry, Mustex but, I didn't see your arguments that way. I viewed them as having Hatch primarily doing GWoM, for ego purposes. As I mentioned, any author's primary goal is to capture the reader's interest. If the author also finds a way to weave a character epotimizing himself or herself, along the way, more power to them. As long as the primary goal is achieved, what difference would it make if any underlying 'interest' went along for the ride?
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #27
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Pete -

I think that until you say that Richard is an "obsessed, self-serving, mirror-loving, glory mongering publicity hound", it's going to be seen as a "communication problem"......

Best,
Bryan

Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #28
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Well Bryan, that comment will not come from me, no matter WHO wants to see it.

As far as I'm concerned, Richard can write GWoM any way he sees fit AND for any reason he chooses. He's the author and has that creative license.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old March 24th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #29
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I had a friend mail me a copy. *still eagerly anticipating*

Once comicslop has their order page running you should be able to get it. Or talk to someone at a comic book shop. It's published by Blam! comics but the imprint will be Vanguard for the comics themselves as they start to come out later this spring. Or go to a convention that Richard or the comic company will be at.

Oh, as to people glorifying themselves being about ego: sometime peruse the autobiographical section of your library or bookstore. Out of Africa and West with the Night are 2 I'd recommend off the top of my head, one of the authors is Issak Dinesin (spelling is not correct), the other was one of her friends, I think. Fantastic prose, amazing adventure in both. Kamikaze Cowboy is a positively unique one that Dirk wrote about himself, also extremely well written. I still need to read some Churchill myself. Though ego was centric to the survival strength in each of these people, you will find that they are not books about ego.

Some people are just excellent storytellers: some of fiction, others of their own lives, others of other folks' lives. Magellan has the potential of the wonder of the first time you saw The Matrix, or read LotR. It will be wonderful to see how it plays out, and where the market will allow it to go.

Jewels
Mailed your magazine yesterday. Hope you like it.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #30
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
I simply said that at some level Hatch is glorifying himself through Akillian. I write stories and glorify myself through the characters. That doesn't mean my stories are bad (or at least I hope not), simply that at some level they're ego-driven.

Anyway, back on the topic has anyone been able to order the magazine?

I have a few extra I got at Mega Con, if you would like one all I ask is the cost of the magazine plus shipping.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote