Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #271
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I am SO friggin' jealous. I SO desire the time to do what you're doing right now. Work schedule is filling up so I won't have any hobby time in the next two or three weeks (which I guess is okay since you're not exactly finished casting the kits... how's THAT for kismet?). But I know I have an SMT Colonial Shuttle kit coming in the next two months or so, plus a secret private project that I've taken on for Peter Noble. Plus the continuing creation of obscure Galactica resin replica kits for all you good folks. Add to that all of my non-galactica related commitments (making puppet videos, writing my comic series, building art-piece ray guns, commitments to the Starship Exeter production, writing two books, blah blah blah) and It's going to be a task to carve out a time when I can lavish the kind of "finish love" on the kit that I so enjoy. Its a matter of available time and residual energy by the end of the day.

So Michael, did you win the lottery or something? Or are you making a living wage being an artist? I know it's possible to do so, but I know very few people who are.

-Gordon
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #272
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
I am SO friggin' jealous. I SO desire the time to do what you're doing right now. Work schedule is filling up so I won't have any hobby time in the next two or three weeks (which I guess is okay since you're not exactly finished casting the kits... how's THAT for kismet?). But I know I have an SMT Colonial Shuttle kit coming in the next two months or so, plus a secret private project that I've taken on for Peter Noble. Plus the continuing creation of obscure Galactica resin replica kits for all you good folks. Add to that all of my non-galactica related commitments (making puppet videos, writing my comic series, building art-piece ray guns, commitments to the Starship Exeter production, writing two books, blah blah blah) and It's going to be a task to carve out a time when I can lavish the kind of "finish love" on the kit that I so enjoy. Its a matter of available time and residual energy by the end of the day.

So Michael, did you win the lottery or something? Or are you making a living wage being an artist? I know it's possible to do so, but I know very few people who are.

-Gordon
Hey Gordon!!!
No, did'nt win the lottery or anything. Have struggled for over 20 yarhens with this artistry career. I have paid my dues, and am just begining to be recognised. I do commission works, have been in shows and galleries, online portfolios at http://www.artwanted.com/MichaelMiles and sell on e-bay as well as do this everyday of the year, with rarly a day off. And even then i am painting or sculpting before the day is over.
Here is the next pic of the painting process. I added to the base color I described before, flat white 7 parts, acryl aluminum 4 parts #4677 and lt. grey #4765 10 parts to begin the different panel tones. Take a look.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #273
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

NEW PICS!!!

Further panel tones being added. Do not stay completely consistent when adding you lighter tones.
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #274
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

PAINTING!!!\
We have added 7 parts acryl skin tone to our last color and 12 parts white and a dab of light grey and did a dusting of the model with this. The last pic is of the first only deeper contrast to pick out the details!

Back for more soon!
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #275
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Looking good.

Jim
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #276
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

New pics with Jesse's TOS viper just for fun. I've begun the panel variations and weathering as well as various blk washes to pick out details. Am off now to do a commission painting for a good customer out in Calif. So I'll be back with more tomorrow!
Goodnight!

Old January 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #277
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

LET'S HAVE FUN WITH THIS!!

Though you all would like to take a peek at the original drawing that I had done back over 2 years ago when I was originally pre-paring for this project. I really did'nt like the DeSanto design, and as you can tell.... I TRIED a little to much to alter it back to TOS viper as much as I could.
It was ridiculous now that I look back at this drawing, but I hated it. Now i love it. And understand the evolution that it took. But still, here is my silly re-designing of the Mk.IV viper. A blast from the past!

Old January 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #278
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
LET'S HAVE FUN WITH THIS!!

Though you all would like to take a peek at the original drawing that I had done back over 2 years ago when I was originally pre-paring for this project. I really did'nt like the DeSanto design, and as you can tell.... I TRIED a little to much to alter it back to TOS viper as much as I could.
It was ridiculous now that I look back at this drawing, but I hated it. Now i love it. And understand the evolution that it took. But still, here is my silly re-designing of the Mk.IV viper. A blast from the past!

Hey can I get a copy of that to go with my Viper?

Jim
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #279
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
Hey can I get a copy of that to go with my Viper?

Jim
I kinda was gonna frame this and place it above the viper squadron that I'm gonna make. I could probably make prints of it for $20.00 a piece. If your interested? Are you still interested in the painting of the Frazetta remake of the warrior women? If you are, I'll make a package deal on that set up.
I've decided to do another painting of that same theme that Frazetta had done, but with all the female warriors wearing the DeSanto outfits and the Mk.IV Vipers behind them with the advanced cylon raiders overhead! But, making them in very dense watercolor and gouache and hand painting each one so that each will be unique and original in itself. And only offering a limited set of 10 just exclusively for the purchasers of the Mk.IV viper kits. 18x24" heavy archival watercolor paper with signed certificate of authenticity. The price will be especially low at $ 125.00 and will be shipped for free to those that want it. This is a great idea that I'm about to discuss with Terri, (if I can ever get her to answer the phone!!! ) Just came up with this idea on the spot while typing this reply. My mind is racing through a constellation of thoughts and ideas. I wish I could write them all down. But too fast! I've decided that just for fun...again I'm gonna throw in another old pic of this project back when it was just begining over 2 yarhens ago, this is cool for me to come across, cause I have so many pics of this build-up it's ridiculous, I could write a book, and fill it with pics.

The wings were just too long, and the fuselage was all the wrong shape to fit the intake area and according to the plans, just wrong underneath in general. so I remade the whole thing...no problem!

And last but not least, one of my very favorite pieces is one of the blasters that I got from Rob over at sci-fi models that I worked over like HELL and spent a long time on the finish. I still have yet to add the red and yellow light details, but I just think that painted activation and power light look like s**t! But I'll add them if I figure out a way to make them look realistic. I now love this piece and everyone has played with it!

Just for fun!
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #280
z28barry

Everything is coming together very nicely, can't wait to see the finished product.
If your viper looks this good, the raider should be the cats meow when done!
Keep up the great work.

Old January 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #281
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28barry
Everything is coming together very nicely, can't wait to see the finished product.
If your viper looks this good, the raider should be the cats meow when done!
Keep up the great work.
Thanks Barry!!! And what do you think of the painting idea?
And an announcement to all that have wondered about the raider, and when something was going to be let known. We have just recieved the main construction materials to continue this project, and are waiting just for the right moment to launch the new thread on this subject here at the fleets! Keep watching!
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #282
z28barry

Paint looks great so far.
I think you should paint the viper in the traditional style of the originals.
I am going to paint mine that way with some minor modifications, like painting the nose the same color as the stripes.
The email I sent you will give you an idea of what I am saying.
Got to go now, time to hit the Linux books and fire up the Linux Box.

Later, Barry.

Old January 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #283
chasd25
Bad Email Address

Wow! Looking good. Nice to see it stacked up next to Jesses Viper!

Can't wait to get one! I need to make room in the display case so I can display all 4 Mks (1, 2, 4, 7)!

Charlie
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #284
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28barry
Paint looks great so far.
I think you should paint the viper in the traditional style of the originals.
I am going to paint mine that way with some minor modifications, like painting the nose the same color as the stripes.
The email I sent you will give you an idea of what I am saying.
Got to go now, time to hit the Linux books and fire up the Linux Box.

Later, Barry.
thanks for the thoughts Barry. And actually, when done, the painted viper will have almost the same tones once I get the panels all done. The way I'm painting it now with the various tones added just gives it more depth to the finished subject. It'll be looking like it belongs next to TOS viper in colors and details.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #285
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasd25

Wow! Looking good. Nice to see it stacked up next to Jesses Viper!

Can't wait to get one! I need to make room in the display case so I can display all 4 Mks (1, 2, 4, 7)!

Charlie
We look forward to hearing from you. And can't wait to see your build-up of this viper.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #286
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

If the price is right, I'd go for that. Just send the total and I'll let you know.

Jim
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #287
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
If the price is right, I'd go for that. Just send the total and I'll let you know.

Jim
Give me a call in about an hour1
Mike
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #288
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Big Grin

Got to over to Michael's house today and saw the one he's currently building up for Box Art. This thing looks awesome built up! Thinkin' I might have to break my promise to myself about buying off-scale (for me) models.

Went out w/Michael afterwards and had a beer and shot the breeze w/him. Even talked to Dilbertman - Good talkin' to ya, dude!
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #289
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks
Got to over to Michael's house today and saw the one he's currently building up for Box Art. This thing looks awesome built up! Thinkin' I might have to break my promise to myself about buying off-scale (for me) models.

Went out w/Michael afterwards and had a beer and shot the breeze w/him. Even talked to Dilbertman - Good talkin' to ya, dude!
Good talking to you to.

Jim
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #290
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

New Painting Pic!!

Here's what I have done thus far for detailing the models various paint tones. Added multiple parts of dark gull grey, light grey, and white. On some panels, specifically the two laser torpedoes on either side of cockpit, a slight tint of chameleon pearlecsent was added to give it a different kind of metallic look. But don't over do it with this, as you only want it to appear reflecting color, not solid. Then I slightly tinted italian red, (all colors by the way are still modelmaster acryl) with a little yellow, then began marking my lines and hand painted (very thinly) the orangish-red stripes. Then have begun slight weathering on panels and engine section of viper. But she's no where NEAR DONE!
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #291
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Again, a remarkable piece of work.

Sandy
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #292
z28barry

Sweeeeeet!!!!

Old January 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #293
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

UPDATE: Progress Pic!!
Okay, alot of you have been hollering..."Cockpit Pics!!!!"
Here it is finally sculpted right. I've tried and failed at numerous attempts and different ways of trying to build it, but being an artist I went with natural instinct and actually sculpted the thing with Aves Epoxy Sculpt! The BEST sculpting compound period, in my opinion.
Whats next with it? Once cured, about another hour from now, I'll be able to remove it from the fuselage, then begin filing, sanding, drilling, dremeling, and adding instrument details and what nots! But here it is, before refinement.
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #294
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

SORRY ALL!!!

Had to spend a couple of days getting regular art commissions finished for customers. Will be posting here tomorrow or later tonight on the progress of this teeny- weeny simple project!
But will also be in the process of redesigning my work area here to become a multi-functional area. To work on paintings, models, and sculpts, and multi-task in general. I'd like to be able to say, while a background color is drying and am waiting on it to go back to my sculpt, and keep progressing on all projects. We'll start tonight and see how it goes.
By the way....Where is Peter Noble??? Have'nt seen him in this thread for quite a while! Worried about that guy.
Let me hear from all of you, as I definately become more ENERGIZED by hearing from you and getting suggestions or questions.
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #295
z28barry

With all those late nights you put in, I thought it would be better if I didn't bug you.
You deserve a few days to yourself, heck everyone does.
Like always, I check the tread to see what's new and exciting and I'm sure you'll be posting more killer images.

later, Barry.

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #296
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Are you done yet?

Jim
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #297
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Are you done yet?

Jim
DILBERTMAN!!!!
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #298
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
DILBERTMAN!!!!
BlueSquad2001

Just trying to get you ENERGIZED!

Jim
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #299
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Pilot of the airwaves, here is my request...

Michael,

How's the pilot sculpt coming along?

Best to you and Terri,

Peter
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #300
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Moreover, how's the rest of the Desanto Viper MOLDS coming along?

C'mon Michael... I'm like doing a little Snoopy dance in anticipation of getting my kit!!!

-Gordon

Closed Thread