Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old August 15th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #61
mikala
Warrior

Wow a Lightwave native Galactica! Coming along real nice. A must watch thread for me.
mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #62
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Great link... is that the guy that did the new G orginally? Passaro?
I don't know for sure, T think that would probably be something that Titan would know. As he worked on the details for the bow section of the production model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala
Wow a Lightwave native Galactica! Coming along real nice. A must watch thread for me.
Thanks for the kuddo's mikala, and welcome to the boards . . .
I think you are right when you say the Galactica is a native of LW. I saw a clip of the mesh in the extra's of the mini series dvd and the screen shot was LW.
They may not have used LW to do the rendering but I am pretty sure the model was built there.

Right at the moment I am trying to fix the port openings for the arms holding the landing bays. On the Zoic model the header edges are rounded off . . . .

The one that I built is very square not at all like the original production model . .

Now because I am twisted about trying to maintaining exact detail on "some things", I am working on this area to make it rounded. I tried to round off the edges buy building it that way but the surface edges were unstable and hard to manipulate. As you can see in the image above the hull section before the opening slopes down . . . . This is one of the symptoms of weight map correction.
So the next method is to actually cut the rounded hole out of the hull and rebuild the finishing touches by hand so to speak . . I will post that up later today when I am finished . .

first I need to mow the grass around my house as the little woman is on my case about it . . . and also the garden is full so I need to pull out the ripe tomatos and
cucumbers, veggies and beans . . . Then water the grass and paint the patio deck. . . .

did I say I was going to post progress today . .???

T
gpdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #63
wjaspers
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Great link... is that the guy that did the new G orginally? Passaro?

No, he only did the engine. If you look closer at his site you will see he re-textured the Viper MVII, for season 2.
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #64
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjaspers
No, he only did the engine. If you look closer at his site you will see he re-textured the Viper MVII, for season 2.

he did an awesome job on those textures I think, you can almost see the paint chipping and peeling off the hull . . . .
3d rocks . . . .

I got the basic shape in, now I just need to tweak it a bit more and start on the retractable arms . . .
Dang this is a lot, and I haven't even started any of the actual fittings yet. The ship is still in peices. I will need to start joining them together before I can start to lay in any of the details . . .
This is going to be a long project, but I won't drop the ball . . .

T
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #65
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Totally like a kid at christmas time, when I finished the retractable arm mock-ups, I put the ship together and did a few renders just to see what it looked like. . . . I just couldn't waite.

So now that the arm sections are done, this completes the basic bulk building of all parts of the ship . . . . yeah . . !!
The easy stuff is done . . . D'oh !

Now I can start on molding and cutting all the sections of the ship. This is where I start putting in the base details that bring the ship to life, the ribs, cutting the landing bays, bulk details on the arms . . . .
Once this is complete I will start on the gross details . . . boy . . I am looking forward to that. In my opinion that is the best part

So this afternoon after I finished in the garden . . . I started fooling around with color schemes, trying to find the right steel-blue shade that the ship is going to be.
In photoShop, I found a really neat method of putting together the shaded patchwork design for the hull of the ship, hopefully when the time comes it will go togther as planned, but I will do a few test runs before hand so as to not waste too much time on it.
Anyway enough talking, here are the renders. . . . it's coming together I think.

T

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #66
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

You know something....

It's interesting seeing the TNS Galactica without the ribs and the dark paint scheme. I know that what we're seeing is the "raw" version of the render, but it has a 1701-D sleekness to it. It'd be interesting to add some minor detailing and the ST:TNG "Aztek" paint treatment to it just to see what a sleeker version of the Galactica looks like....

Just a thought - you're the artist.... I'm looking forward to seeing the intended completed version of the TNS Galactica.

Keep up the good work!
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #67
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
It'd be interesting to add some minor detailing and the ST:TNG "Aztek" paint treatment to it just to see what a sleeker version of the Galactica looks like....
Thank a lot Bryan, you'll have to tell me tho, what is the Aztek paint treatment?
It sounds interesting, you must educate me on this.

T
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #68
Fragmentary

So that's what the Galactica would look like if it were a submarine

Looking good.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #69
Cinnamon
Shuttle Pilot

Coming together indeed. She's pretty *now* so I know she's gonna be spectacular when she's complete.

I'm curious too. What *is* an 'Aztek Paint Treatment'?

-jaime
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #70
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee
Thank a lot Bryan, you'll have to tell me tho, what is the Aztek paint treatment? It sounds interesting, you must educate me on this.
Santee -

Sorry I took so long getting back with an explanation, I had assumed everyone knew what I meant. The "Aztec Paint" treatment is basically the type of painting scheme that has been used on Federation starships since the 1701 refit in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The term, "Aztec" is in reference to the pattern templates used, not the paint itself.

Here's a pic to illustrate:

The look is accomplished with varying shades of paint to give the look of multiple panels being welded together to form the skin or hull of a ship. The one thing about the 1701 in TMP, is that it gave a very sleek hull design the look of "texturing" without actually scribing hull lines to create the effect.

(Coincidentally, the pic above is a CGI render done by Lee Stringer (of Zoic) for the "Directors Cut" of ST:TMP)

When I saw Santee's sleek and shiny "raw" render, I saw what the modelmakers must have seen when painting the 1701-D for Next Generation.

Just one of my wacky suggestions....

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #71
neilfsmith
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up New Galactica renders

Hey there. I'm new here. Been into 3D modeling for a couple of years. I like the smooth version of the Galactica. The comments about the Aztec pattters made me think it might be cool to try to do all the detailing with textures and not geometry. It would be a great low poly version for wide shots.
neilfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #72
wjaspers
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfsmith
Hey there. I'm new here. Been into 3D modeling for a couple of years. I like the smooth version of the Galactica. The comments about the Aztec pattters made me think it might be cool to try to do all the detailing with textures and not geometry. It would be a great low poly version for wide shots.

NOOOOOOOOOOWAAAAAAAAAAY. Do not make a low poly version, I did that already, and many comments are, that they can not do any close ups. So please continue with the detailing. Also if possible the panels, try and model them, someone at scifi meshes started with them on my model, but I did not hear from him in a loooooong time.

So, sorry Neilsmith, my advice for santee would be keep on going.

BTW, yes it would be interesting how the sleek version would look like with startrek aztecs.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #73
neilfsmith
Bad Email Address

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOWAAAAAAAAAAY. Do not make a low poly version, I did that already, and many comments are, that they can not do any close ups. So please continue with the detailing. Also if possible the panels, try and model them, someone at scifi meshes started with them on my model, but I did not hear from him in a loooooong time.

So, sorry Neilsmith, my advice for santee would be keep on going.

BTW, yes it would be interesting how the sleek version would look like with startrek aztecs.

Please don't misunderstand me. My idea for a low poly version is only for wide shots. I usually develop a low res version of an object of I plan on shooting it from a long distance. There's no reason to load your processors with a highly detailed model for such a wide shot.

Obviously Santee should continue with the detailing of the ship - but it still would be nice to have a low poly for those specific reasons.
neilfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #74
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
The look is accomplished with varying shades of paint to give the look of multiple panels being welded together to form the skin or hull of a ship. The one thing about the 1701 in TMP, is that it gave a very sleek hull design the look of "texturing" without actually scribing hull lines to create the effect.
Thanks for the tutorial Bryan . . . I think I may try this on my ship, but use it as a painting solution to help with the plating. That "Aztec" design or versions like it are used on the new version of the Galactica now I think. In some of the close up shots you see the square break up pattern through out the plating. Visually it helps with the "idea" of welded panels, but it also serves as color texturing. I may be wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

Anyway I am going to give it a shot, thanks for helping me out on this . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfsmith

Welcome to Colonial Fleets neilfsmith, That smooth version of the Galactica is cool looking I think `Fragmentary` called it a submarine . . . ha ha I just got antsy and wanted to see the ship put together one time so I did a few quick renders . . . .
I will make use of that Aztec pattern but I won't stiff out on the full blown details.

Quote:
. . . . Don't worry wjaspers, I won't chince on the details, besides I don't think `Titon` would let me get away with it . . . .
I tell you what I have been thinking in regards to the detail, I think I will do it like the T.V. production version, and have "Detail Packages". You know like level 1 details, level 2 details, and so on . . . just adding on these packages as needed. Like if I am doing close up front bow shots, then I won't need any of the engine details . . . and for far away shots I will have basic hull effect details . . .
If i keep the details as a separate lightwave model, then I won't have to build different versions of the ship. I think it will be less confusing that way.
Anyway these are just ideas . . . I will see when I get there.

I started on the details for the engine section . . . It took about 6 hours to get this much done but I had a ball doing it . . . I think adding the details are going to be the best part.
I am trying to stick as close to the orininal details but were I can't make out an object from the images I have, I replace it with something else, plus I am adding some of my own objects just to make it interesting . . .
I still have a long way to go on this engine section, but tell me what you think so far . . .

T

Old August 20th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #75
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Nice start.

If you do this across the whole model, rendering is gonna be a huge hassle but it should give you a basis for some really nice animations.

Good job so far.

Sandy
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #76
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
If you do this across the whole model, rendering is gonna be a huge hassle
Soooo true . . . . and I am just running a G4 400 with only a gig of ram . . . .
But detail is where it is at, I try to do all of my models with as much detail as possible.
I have hit the render button before and come back 68 hours later . . .
and that was on a still . . . D'oh !

I have a feeling it will be another Month before this model is done, lots of things still yet to do, and lots of learning in the process...

T
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #77
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

You, my friend, seriously need to invest in some more RAM and a much faster processor.

You have some definite talent for this. You need the tools to explore that talent.

Sandy
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:58 AM   #78
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
You, my friend, seriously need to invest in some more RAM and a much faster processor.
Sandy you got that right . . . .
what I want "my wish list" is a G5 Dual processor 2.7ghz . . . this machine friggin' rocks . . and ram . . you can load up to 8 gig of ram in this puppy . .
I shudder just thinking of the possibilities.
Tho' once I got that maching then I would be forced to go out and get Lightwave 9, you know, . . just because . . . .

So what are we talking here . . 5-6 thousand . . ? yeah! I got that
no seriously though, I know I need a faster machine, I will get it one day but right now cash is a bit tight.

I started baging out some of the details on the engine section, I wasn't ready for task yet, but once I got started I just couldn't got out of it. I am 85% completed with just the back face plate. still a bit more detail to drop in. Once this is done I will just finish off the entire section of the model just to get the Engines done.

I am realizing that I may have to put a cap on the amount of detail I put into each section of the ship. I am going to try and keep the total number of poly's and point's in and around the 1 million mark as I would like to use the ship with my limited machine. I am going to try not to be cheap with the detail but I need to be realistic here. Already I am up to 88,128 points and 56,320 poly's on just what you see in that image below. and trust me I can just keep loading in the detail, that is the easiest part . . . I can see where you can go over-board.

Anyway from the image below you can get an idea of what type of detail I am headed for and know that close up shots are definately in order for the renders.

T

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:27 AM   #79
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Very nice job. Outstanding in fact.

I despise this ship design but I marvel at the work you're doing on it.

Check your PMs.

Sandy
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM   #80
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Santee, just remember that poly count nowdays is becoming irrelevant. Well maybe not totally but you should render in layers. Make sure you render only what's needed to be seen. Load your model and render different sections at a time and composite together later.

That include shadows, objects, lights ect. ect. Gives you much more control over the entire scene in the end.

Great work though!

Old August 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM   #81
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I enjoy seeing the detail...there is an old time original series battlestar in there. Who is Curtis?
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:46 AM   #82
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
Well maybe not totally but you should render in layers. Make sure you render only what's needed to be seen. Load your model and render different sections at a time and composite together later.
I have heard of this but never really looked into it, i will have to check and see if version 7 is capable of this. That would be great if I could load the entire model in and rernder it out. I do know that "Modeler" on my machine has issues with saving files larger than 100,000 points. I get up to 128,000 and the machine starts to freak out, error messages come back really fats at that point.
Thanks for the info Titon, I am going to check into this later today . . . .

Quote:
I despise this ship design but I marvel at the work you're doing on it.
Thanks for the kuddo's TBC, don'y know why you hate the design tho' ?
I loved it the first time I saw it, it just has this organically stern feeling to it.
The idea of the retrackable landing bays is awesome. the ship is very round very bullet like, a lot more aero-dynamic than TOS galactica, Tho' I do like the old one still, the old galactica has the classic hard-nose hard edge feel to it . . .
I guess the new one is just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept17th
I enjoy seeing the detail...there is an old time original series battlestar in there. Who is Curtis?
I can see that a bit . . . "Curtis . . ?"
That's my last name . . of course I had to tag it somewhere,
Why not on the a _ _ end . . . .

T
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM   #83
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Your doing some realy first class work here, keep going!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:31 AM   #84
Cinnamon
Shuttle Pilot

Oh, this is going to be one /gorgeous/ model when you're finished with it. The detail level is just beautiful.
I can't wait to see more of her.

Noticed that you use a Mac - I'm glad I'm not the only one. ^_-

-jaime
(who actually bought an evil PC to play with all this too)
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #85
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon
Noticed that you use a Mac - I'm glad I'm not the only one. ^_-
(who actually bought an evil PC to play with all this too)
Go Mac . . . . Don't fret about buying a PC, we all have moments of weakness, besides you need a machine to break into mainstream every once in a while . . .
I am thinking of getting one myself soon, of course it will have to be kick-butt as I don't want a weak link in my chain.

Well I have been at it for 2 days straight, I am starting to get the thousand mile stare . . . my brain is fried, but I finally got the bulk of the top part of the engine section done . .

Count so far in just what you see:
Points = 222,161
Poly's = 184,230

I can see why the original rose to the 4 million mark, cause man it is easy to put detail in, you just have to know when to stop. I was toying with the idea of putting in some micro details on what I have already but with almost 1/4 of a million points already I think I will slow up a bit.

hope you like the progress . . .

Santee

Old August 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #86
wjaspers
Shuttle Pilot

What can I say, very very good, keep it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #87
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
What can I say, very very good, keep it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know I will . . .

I started on the bottom details this morning and am almost finished. Seems this section of the ship isn't that intense on the details as the reverse side. Which makes me want to go back into the top section and put in those micro details that I wanted to put in. True no one will ever see them unless I get extremely close to the engine section, but . . I will know they are there, and it will lend in my imagining scene senarios when I finally get to do some art renders.

I did some advanced speculation on the amount of points and poly's in this model. I figured out a guide-line for me to follow, so as not to be blindly building away. In a perfect world and on a better machine this would not pose a problem but with limited resourses I think it best if I had poly goals in mind.

What I figured is about 500,00 points in the tails section. ( am at 300,000 already )
About 1.5 million points in the mid section, this includes the body of the ship and both landing pods.
And about 750,000 points in the nose of the ship. I will try to keep it under 3 million when all is said and done . . . . . Hopefully . . . .

Santee

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #88
mikala
Warrior

Are you going to go completely crazy and model all the guns in a separate layer and have them animatable as well? I'm just joking of course.
Wow 3 mill.....but she's worth it...
mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #89
wjaspers
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Are you going to go completely crazy and model all the guns in a separate layer and have them animatable as well? I'm just joking of course.

What do you mean with joking? Of course he will model all the guns , or ....?

Anyway Santee, take a little advise and leave those engine details till the end, (of course you can do what you want, it is you who is modeling) believe me you are in for some surprises at other points of the ship.

But again, keep it up
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #90
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Quote:
Are you going to go completely crazy and model all the guns in a separate layer and have them animatable as well?
I was thinking about that in the shower the other day . . . I think what I was going to do was Model just one of the different types of guns at 0 registration and then duplicate them in the scene so that they have their own rotation point of reference. I was going to do a test on this theory later but the truth is if I model the guns as part of the ship as a whole the center point for the guns will be incorrect for pivoting when animation time comes . .
I will tae class on this later . . . . .

Quote:
Anyway Santee, take a little advise and leave those engine details till the end, (of course you can do what you want, it is you who is modeling) believe me you are in for some surprises at other points of the ship.
Ohhh . . . trust me wj . . I know, I have seen the ship all 8 points . . . .
The bow is intense I know, and i am going to do full details inside the hanger deck
but still I will try . . . (try being key word ) to keep it under 3 million poly's

he he he he . . .

Santee