Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old July 6th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Default After at least ten years, I'm finally rebuilding my Galactica

Senmut made an inquiry sometime back about when and if I was ever going to get back to working on my classic Galactica models. Well.....

FINALLY after at least 10 yahrens, when I made my first attempt at making a 3D model, that being the classic battlestar, Galactica, I have gotten around to rebuilding it. In the time since then, I have built models in the universes of Star Trek and Star Wars, improving in my abilities with each build. I figured now is the time to try and get back to where my CG ventures started.

With the new techniques I've learned, or stumbled upon by happy accident, I have already constructed the head of the ship. She won't be perfect, and she certainly won't look as good as other far more talented modelers make her, but, again, for my filming purposes, she'll do just fine.

Anyhoo, without further ado, here are a few pics of the head assembly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battlestar rebuild 07 04 17 001.jpg (313.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg battlestar rebuild 07 04 17 002.jpg (355.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg battlestar rebuild 07 04 17 003.jpg (376.0 KB, 10 views)
Old July 7th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: After at least ten years, I'm finally rebuilding my Galactica

Cool!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Qeutzal
Shuttle Pilot

Nice, can't wait to see more
Qeutzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Thanks, all. Will hopefully have more done this week.
Old July 13th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Here is a little more progress on my rebuild of the classic version of the Colonial battlestar.
First, a textured image:

Then a wireframe image:

My technique for building models now, whilst far from perfect, delivers much faster results. I actually pretexture, and then using the Knife Project feature in Blender, I am able to cut out a shape with the textures intact. Then, I use the Knife Project feature to extrude what would be greebles on the hull of the ship. As you can probably see, I've only gotten down to extruding elements on the top part of the main body of the ship. In iClone, this will look even more convincing, especially with the way I'll have light playing off the hull. For now, these are shots from Blender.
Old July 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Here's some progress on my classic battlestar rebuild.

Will work on the struts for the underside, and then start on the engine....and then, the flight pods.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Here's an update on my rebuild of my classic battlestar CG model:

Hope ya' like.
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:38 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Updates:
Flight pod struts added

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Still needs a few tweaks, but for the most part, the battlestar is done. Nameplates are easily changeable so I can have the battlestars Galactica, Pegasus, Atlantia, Rycon, Triton, Columbia, and Pacifica.

For now, she's the Galactica.

Landing bay approach lights are animated

A few more details to add here, and it'll look better:

I hope you like.
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Here's a progress pic of my battlestar bridge.
I'm going to take some liberties for the sake of time, but will try to remain accurate as possible in other areas such as workstations, the command dais, Athena's station, etc.
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

One of the liberties I'm taking with the Galactica bridge is the area behind the starmap. Behind that area, I'm going to make it a workpit, like the forward area of the bridge. Map personnel will have consoles to work at to update the starmap. Two sets of steps will lead down to either side of the map intel room.
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Still a few details to add, but for the most part here is my bridge of the classic version of the battlestar, Galactica.
The main viewport shield can be animated for "positve shield" or "negative shield". (IOW, open or closed for those who might not know their Colonial jargon. )

The woman on the bridge is Athena (my constant model for most of my sci-fi set builds, regardless of property...Star Trek, Star Wars, and of course her native Battlestar Galactica.)