Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 20th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Starbuck's Still The Same!?!

From Sci-Fi Wire:

Katee Sackhoff, who plays a female Starbuck in the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that fans shouldn't worry that the character is no longer a man. "Even though it's a woman, it's the same person," Sackhoff said in an interview on the miniseries' Vancouver, B.C., soundstage. "Extremely sarcastic and smoking cigars all the time, really doesn't care, but is an amazing pilot. And that's what Starbuck was. So it really doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy, it's still Starbuck."

A female Starbuck brings the story more up to date, Sackhoff added. "I think it's very realistic of the times, of what's going on right now in the world. ... I think that it's about time that we show that women can do just as much as the guys can, if not do it better."

Asked if she would like to meet Dirk Benedict, who played Starbuck on the original ABC television series, Sackhoff said, "I'd be interested to see what he thinks. He had longer hair [then] than I do now." SCI FI's Battlestar Galactica will debut in December."

Note to producers. Never let an actress/actor talk about their latest project without a script!

Hence the above.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I wrote the sci-fi wire and told them how the fans were stepped over. I also let them know why a continuation was feasible.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Re: Re: Starbuck's Still The Same!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
This chick on drugs or what?

*WHY* does it *need* to reflect the current times?

Someone let her see the original series with all the female Viper pilots!!!!!!!
I don't think Katee knows what's going on in the world today.

Not only Katee can't act (I have seen her other work), but she doesn't seem to have a brain either.

No brains and no talent is not a good way to go through life.

"A female Starbuck brings the story more up to date, Sackhoff added. "I think it's very realistic of the times, of what's going on right now in the world. ... I think that it's about time that we show that women can do just as much as the guys can, if not do it better."

So tell me Katee! What's going on in the world today?

Can someone with your knowledge give some constructive criticism without mentioning the haircuts?

She obviously doesn't know anything about the original Starbuck that was portrayed by Dirk Bennedict.

She probably read something that David Eicke written for the damage control that was inflicted by Edward James Olmos.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #4
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Katee - The Face that Launched

a 1000 Honey Dipper Trucks...
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter2000:
She probably read something that David Eicke written for the damage control that was inflicted by Edward James Olmos.
I wouldn't doubt it.

Am I wrong, or does everything we are hearing out of this production scream "LOSER" louder and louder?

Does that make me happy?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #6
repcisg
Bad Email Address

The lady is out to lunch!

Did I say lady, sorry, I ment young girl.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks, listen while lurking elsewhere i guess i missed out earlier on news but hears what i just come across now on comingsoon.net

Quote:
Katee Sackhoff talked to Sci Fi Wire about her starring role in the upcoming Battlestar Galactica mini-series...

[She told] SCI FI Wire that fans shouldn't worry that the character is no longer a man. "Even though it's a woman, it's the same person," Sackhoff said in an interview on the miniseries' Vancouver, B.C., soundstage. "Extremely sarcastic and smoking cigars all the time, really doesn't care, but is an amazing pilot. And that's what Starbuck was. So it really doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy, it's still Starbuck."

A female Starbuck brings the story more up to date, Sackhoff added. "I think it's very realistic of the times, of what's going on right now in the world. ... I think that it's about time that we show that women can do just as much as the guys can, if not do it better."

Check out the link above for more of the article.
Guess i got beaten to it hours ago but no ones put it up here! so here it is.

Later, hope to pop in now and then

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #8
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

KJ,
I'm going to dupe your news to it's own thread in G03 discussion. (realized that's where my feedback goes too

I just wrote a scathing response to that Katee wench's airheaded comments on skiffy. We will see if they post it. Grrrrrrrr. She. Is not. Starbuck. Never. Ever. She doesn't display the intellect or the class.

Perhaps that is what the whole production lacks, Intellect & Class.

Jewels

::edit:: once I moved it I realized Peter had started a thread on the same topic, voila, one thread. *wipes sweat from brow*
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #9
ShebaApollo

Hello All!

I just finished reading what Katee Sackoff said about Starbuck being the same. I am right now taking in at least ten deep breaths. The biggest reason that I find this whole project to be distasteful is the whole female Starbuck. I need more deep breaths.

So just what can be done about this tasteless and brainless "Battlestar Galactica". :bash:

I feel better now! :light:

ShebaApollo

Original Starbuck Fan! :cowboy:
Original Battlestar Galactica Fan!

:colwar:
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:14 AM   #10
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Re: Re: Starbuck's Still The Same!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter2000

She obviously doesn't know anything about the original Starbuck that was portrayed by Dirk Bennedict.

I agree that Ms. Sackhoff's comments may have been some kind of attempt at damage control. It wouldn't surprise me if over the next several months we see several more interviews and statements that try to show how this remake travesty is similar to TOS. Isn't it ironic that after supressing the opinions of dedicated Galactica fans, there's this sudden attempt to appease us? Perhaps some of the "powers that be" over at Sci Fi are finally beginning to realize what a disaster (artistically and financially) they have on their hands.

I agree that Ms. Sackhoff's comments demonstrate virtually no understanding of the character of Starbuck. I imagine that she watched perhaps all of ten minutes of footage from TOS, quickly presumed that Starbuck was cocky and irreverant, and took that attitude into filming the RDM farce. Clearly, she didn't grasp the character's complexity. It's pitiful for such a strong character to be so badly mishandled.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:04 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs down Goes To Show You

Katee isn't even playing Starbuck. She is playing Kara Thrace who is using the handle of one of the most beloved characters in sci-fi history. Why am I mad? Where is good old Glen to put a stop to this maddness? He was there to put a stop to the R Hatch continuation project.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:28 PM   #12
dah66
Warrior

"I'd be interested to see what he thinks. He had longer hair [then] than I do now." - Katee Sackhoff

"He needs a makeover. Especially that '70s hair." - Ronald D. Moore

The new production seems to have an obsession with hair.

I guess to "reflect the current times" and to make "science fiction once again relevant" you must be properly groomed.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:09 PM   #13
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Darnit, I LIKE guys with long hair =)

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:55 PM   #14
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

I used to have long hair.......

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote