Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BG-10: War Of The Gods

Several Viper patrols disappear, including one with Bojay and Jolly, while ghostly lights harass the Colonial fleet. And on a barren world, Apollo, Starbuck and Sheba encounter the mysterious Count Iblis, the lone survivor of a large spaceship crash. Iblis promises salvation for the fleet -- at an extreme price. Meanwhile, Sheba finds herself romantically drawn to Iblis, while Apollo, Adama, Tigh and Starbuck see Iblis as a growing threat -- and one which the desperate fleet is willing to embrace. Count Iblis's influence over the entire Colonial fleet--and particularly Sheba--grows as he works miracles, including the delivery of the traitor Baltar to the Council of the Twelve. Adama, Tigh, Apollo and Starbuck seek to uncover the truth about Count Iblis. And the Ships of Light/Beings of Light are revealed -- and coordinates to Earth are given to Sheba, Starbuck and Apollo.
(Note: This is the first appearance of the Triad game.)

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, Anne Lockhart as Sheba, Jack Stauffer as Bojay, Ed Begley, Jr. as Greenbean, and John Colicos as Baltar.

Guest starring Patrick Macnee as Count Iblis, John Williams as a Statesman, Janet Louise Johnson as Brie, and Olan Soulé as Carmichael.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH

Last edited by Flamingo Girl; May 10th, 2003 at 05:57 PM..
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Question

I have a question about this particular episode that I'm hoping that one of you knowledgable folks can answer. Not long ago I learned about the cut footage from part II where Sheba, Starbuck, and Apollo discover cloven feet amongst the ruins of Iblis' ship. Does anyone know any more details about this abandoned footage, such as the reason why it was dropped and the possible meanings of the discovery intended by the writers? The symbolism of TOS fascinates me, particularly the religious symbols. I'm aware that Larson incorporated several Biblical symbols into the series, especially from Genesis. Anyway, I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this to satisfy my curiosity.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

It was dropped because ABC felt that it was too harsh. Actually it was a goat carcass that was to be seen when Sheba looked into the ship. ABC felt that it represented devil worship..
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

That was the POINT!!!!! As usual, the NitWerk suits didn't understand! Iblis is the Devil, so...
They wouldn't understand good plotting if it fell on them!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

IBLIS:

http://chrisscalf.com/images/fantasy/wog5.htm

Chris is one of the GREATEST artists.
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #6
Shatter
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
Chris is one of the GREATEST artists.
Agreed! That's an outstanding portrait of Iblis, as well as the other characters.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Shatter in Jewish folklore .................the cloven feet are
the only true way to recognize a demon or the devil.

The cloven feet are especially evident in YIDDISH folklore.

It could be that particular footage was dropped because in
the 70's they thought that the finding of the feet was simply
too violent.

(ALso getting off topic ..........I believe that's why the
flag for the battlestar gallactica was changed as well .........
God forbid that a Six pointed STAR should represent anything
POSITIVE in BOnnie Hammer or in RON MOORE'S eyes.)
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Rickyrod70

Default I thought the whole count Iblis thing was lame.

I never liked any of the Iblis episodes or those of the Lords of Light. I thought they were weak.
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I respectfully disagree, rickyrod.

The conflict between the 2 groups, i.e., Good and Evil, was what the show was all about.

I have the belief that, properly handled, the interaction between the Beings of Light and Count Iblis et al and their manipulations of their respective 'underlings' - Colonials and Cylons - held the possibility of being a storyline which could span an entire series.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Agree to a point...

I think War of the Gods was the best of all the Galactica episodes, however, Experiment in Terra was not done well and I have always disliked that episode. They just wanted to use the beings of light again but it did not work and the whole plot was pointless...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #11
blade45

SO Ibly wasnt the Imperious Leader , in which both sounded just alike?
And the crashed large ship wasnt the Pegasus in which most were lead to believe?
blade45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by blade45
SO Ibly wasnt the Imperious Leader , in which both sounded just alike?
And the crashed large ship wasnt the Pegasus in which most were lead to believe?
Welcome, blade45!

Iblis alluded, to Baltar, that his voice "may" have been downloaded into the Imperious Leader's programming (and for this to have happened, he -Iblis- would have to be over a thousand yahren old).

Regarding the ship, there was never a direct explanation as to whose ship it was.

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default The Hatch Explanation

According to the novels, Iblis was a human who was exiled to the planet Cylon where he began to alter the original Cylons via DNA infusion(Iblis own). This is why the Imperious Leader has the same voice. The Cylons eventually kill Iblis but he isn't transformed into a Being of Light rather a horrific creature.
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #14
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Thanks, Kingfish.

I was going by what appeared on the televised version. I hadn't taken into consideration what appeared in the novels. OOPS!

It would make a lot more sense actually having him lay the groundwork, by re-creating the Cylon society as machines, than to just appear, on the Cylon homeworld, one day out of the blue.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM   #15
cdlegend
Shuttle Pilot

I really liked this one. I think that not showing the cloven footed alien when Sheba looked just suddenly gave us hope that the Pegasus was still out there.... somewhere... I was secretly hoping that it wasn't a colonial foot there.... releaved that it was cloven... The Pegasus story has yet to be told. But War of the Gods seemed to set her free for me...

As far as the story... The Ship of Lights was fantastic... to think about god-like superior life forms... Remember, Adama told Apollo that they would seem god like to a civilization lesser then theirs.... Makes you look at God a bit differently. I loved the entire message delivered by the "angels" on the ship. "What you are, we once were... What we are you will become." Very Morman - but very deep in a universal way. Apollo's association with STarbuck.. he being dead only in a primitive way... all of it was very well written. All of it fit well with the characters, the journey they each were experiencing... the time at which the story took place in their lives. I would not change it. Nor would I touch "Hand of God." Excellent writers... GAlactica needed more writers like these. Actually - Isac Isomov was supposed to write for Galactica had she made it to the next season. One could imagine what they were planing for the Galactica.

Legend
cdlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #16
MMaola
Shuttle Pilot

"War of the Gods" was another of the stand-out episodes of Galactica. Patrick McNee as Count Iblis was terrific! While you could sort of see where the episode was going (or maybe that's just hindsight on my part), it was still creepy fun getting there! Actually, there were some interesting twists in the storyline that both explained things about who the Galactican's people were as well as offered tantalizing hints of what future episodes might lay ahead. And the ending, with Apollo, Starbuck and Sheba reciting portions of the co-ordinates to earth, I thought was a real good touch. Even though it was a good thing and something Adama had been longing for, as a capper to everything they had just gone through with Iblis, it still struck me as somehow a little forboding or menacing... Again, a foreshadowing of future episodes we never got a chance to see, perhaps?

Old November 5th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Shatter in Jewish folklore .................the cloven feet are
the only true way to recognize a demon or the devil.

The cloven feet are especially evident in YIDDISH folklore.

It could be that particular footage was dropped because in
the 70's they thought that the finding of the feet was simply
too violent.
They also appear in "Greek Mythology" creatures called Satyrs had cloven hooves. As did Centaurs (half man /half horse)

As do many other mythological creatures scattered through many biblical and myth related stories.

As for it being violent? No it was cut due to the executives thinking it would be a clear sign of demonic/ Satanic references for the audience to handle. according to the script, after we are suppose to see the foot the frame pans up to reveal the form of a man covered in a hairy body. there was also suppose to be a "tail" out near the creatures hoof?

I take it the props were made, but then the footage was cut on orders by the studio. I personally think ABC got jumpy about the thing anyways. today TV would have made the footage seem tame by comparison.

Although as i've said, there was an episode of "Space 1999" that would have made the cloven hooves scene seem weak, the episode inwhich they discovered a dead pilot in one of their Eagle Shuttles?

Burned to the skeleton no less!!! -

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #18
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

According to Gene Roddenberry the character of Spock was modeled after the image of the devil. The network did not like that and if they had it their way the character would have disappeared from the show.
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #19
dru
Shuttle Pilot

I always loved this two parter but after rewatching it last night I have a few issues with it. I don't see any point to Sheba saying Earth has one sun and among nine planets in light of The Long Patrol and Starbuck's correcting Boxey's map of Earth's system as taught to him by Adama.

I liked how Sheba is used. This was the intro of Triad. Sheba left her Viper back at the crash site when Apollo is "killed" saving her from Iblis. The lights fly around for no apparent reason. Why does Iblis seem to need to go with the Warriors to their fleet if he can travel from Galactica to the crash site seemingly without assistance? Why is he worried about Colonial tech but alter appears unaffected? Does it have something to do with him drawing sustanence and power from Sheba's devotion and later that of so much of the fleet? With the deaths on his 'ship' perhaps he was in a very weakened state.

I took the conversation with Baltar to mean Iblis was the original of the IL-series Imperious Leader's voice and thus a 1,000 or more yahren old. Iblis was being coy but not denying Baltar's charge. If we accept the Cylon machines turned against their reptilian progenetors then Iblis was probably behind the machine's revolt. Somehow he undermined the organic Cylons perhaps by becoming their "final" leader before the revolt. Perhaps even he planted the creation of the mechanical Cylons in the minds of the organic Cylon leadership. Definitely something to explore, but clearly Iblis feeds of the loyalty and devotion of his fallen flock. I believe the robotic Cylons were the undoing of their reptilian creators not unlike the ultimately fatal destiny of the cloven victims at the crash site whereupon Iblis was encountered.

I don't know why so many thought the ship was the Pegasus. Apollo said the ship seemed to be perhaps the size of a Battlestar but Iblis clearly told Sheba she would meet her father again. Knowing about the cloven hoves, it wasn't the Pegasus.

"According to the novels, Iblis was a human who was exiled to the planet Cylon where he began to alter the original Cylons via DNA infusion(Iblis own). This is why the Imperious Leader has the same voice. The Cylons eventually kill Iblis but he isn't transformed into a Being of Light rather a horrific creature."

If that's Hatch's explanation I'm glad I didn't ready any of his novels. That is ridiculous!
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #20
KJ
Strike Leader

Sheba actually didn't leave her viper behind if you take into account the telemovies where the shuttle lands on the Galactica and Apollo, Starbuck and Sheba find out from Tigh and Boomer that all the missing pilots were found on the "Red Planet" where Count Iblis was found.

In doing so, i guess they found Sheba's Viper also! (with limited fleet resources, they wouldn't leave a fighter ship like a Viper behind would they?)

As for the wrecked ship being the Pegasus?

No it wasn't, but i'm glad the episode had the "red herring" clues and lines of dialogue which led to so many interpretations of what the wreckage was. No wonder people thought "THAT" it was the Pegasus at the time.

"War of the Gods" does have, so many levels to it, as a 2 parter episode. Which adds to it every time.

KJ
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:32 AM   #21
dru
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
Sheba actually didn't leave her viper behind if you take into account the telemovies where the shuttle lands on the Galactica and Apollo, Starbuck and Sheba find out from Tigh and Boomer that all the missing pilots were found on the "Red Planet" where Count Iblis was found.

In doing so, i guess they found Sheba's Viper also! (with limited fleet resources, they wouldn't leave a fighter ship like a Viper behind would they?)
KJ
It just occurred to me that perhaps her Viper was stowed aboard the Galactica Shuttle. The shuttles appear to be quite large. Otherwise, I imagine there would've been a piece of dialog about finding Sheba's Viper abandoned down on the planet.

According to http://ravensbranch.allen.com/galacticasize.html, the BSG Scrapbook suggests the shuttle would be about 110 feet long (the set was only 33 ft). Although not entirely proportional to the scale model, the full-sized Viper mock-up was only 28.5 feet, less than one third the length of the shuttle craft. That suggests there might be enough cargo capacity in a Colonial shuttle to store Sheba's Viper on the return trip to Galactica from the crash-site planet. Helicopters are known to be transported inside cargo planes, for example. Why not have a shuttle available to transport a Viper?

Don't ask me to explain how they got the Viper on board, perhaps there's an enormous cargo door on the virtually unseen starboard side of a shuttle craft.

I'm just saying this fits the "facts" at least as well as anything. Perhaps more. I can't see Starbuck and Sheba just leaving her Viper behind while they flew Apollo's lifeless body back to the fleet.

Edit: I did a scaled graphic from some line drawings of the Viper and Shuttle I found online. There's *plenty* of room for a Viper to be stored inside the Shuttle. I don't have anywhere to link to the image, unfortunately.

Last edited by dru; November 20th, 2003 at 04:03 AM..
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:18 PM   #22
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I really love this ep. A new mysterious "enemy", and you're not sure which it is, the lights or Iblis! MacNee is outstanding. Tons of possible plot developments could have come from this ep. I'm thinking this may beat Living Legend for me as best ep - but it's so hard to choose! I dearly love them all!

Hey all! I was so anxious to see the deleted scenes of this and see the cloven hoof bit. NOT THERE! What gives? When was this shown so everybody knows about it (except me)? I was SO waiting to see that bit of deleted footage. No fair! Tell me, tell me friends how everybody else saw that footage and not me since its not on the DVD...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:26 PM   #23
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

But why does God need a spaceship?

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 06:32 PM   #24
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Flamingo Girl
But why does God need a spaceship?
LOL! Welcome to Voorta Vor!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #25
Domiano
Bad Email Address

I was going to ask several questions but most were answered in the posts before mine.

Ibilis needed souls to feed off of, that's why he was weak at the crash site.

Apollo made a remark that the crash site was the size of a battlestar and near the end Apollo and Starbuck would not let Sheba look in the wreckage. Then when they decide to let her Count Iblis stops her. My question to all of you is: If it was cloven feet in the first place why would Starbuck and Apollo let her see them? Parts of the wreckage looked like a Colonial ship. Someone asked why would the Count tell Sheba she was going to see her Father again if he knew he was dead. Simple answer there, he did not specify how she was going to see him again.

Also there was an interesting comment ,"Why did Gods need a ship?" Count Iblis needed people of their own freewill invite and accept him. Apollo did not and that is one of the reason the "angels" gave Apollo back his life.
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I really, really liked this episode. I think Patrick McNee
was BRILLIANT in his portrayal of Iblis.
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #27
KJ
Strike Leader

Domiano that part about Iblis feeding off souls is the most interesting thing said from a Galactica fan in a long time?

Godlike being in sci-fi have all been cheapen somewhat by Star Trek's finger snapping ones. That "soul-eater" type idea is another intrepretation of the Count's powers that relates to his demonic abilities fans may or maynot have picked up on from time to time.

As for the wreakage it was one of a few things Galactica fans have interpreted themselves over the years.

In fan fiction some have said it belonged to the 'Delphians' of Gamoray from the episode "Living Legend". others may have said it belonged to "Satyr like" creatures, that became demons through the Count's evil. That may have appeared in the second season of Battlestar Galactica?

Or just mere aliens that came upon the Count and he subjugated them.

Whatever happened it didn't last long. As the 'Ships of light' battled them and destroyed the ship! Even when the episode of 'War Of The Gods' begins, the Galactica picks up a huge distubance which leads to them launching 3 Vipers to find the missing "Silver Spar squadron patrol" which they believe was caught up in the massive explosion they had just picked up!

As for the "Let Sheba see inside the crashed ship" part? It was to break her free from Count Iblis spell. I take it, they knew his true appearence would break, the hold he had on Sheba. Even if they lived in a universe where the Colonial Warriors see plenty of ugly aliens on and off.

Good theories you got there though.

later

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #28
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Good points Domiano.
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #29
Starwarrior
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Hey all! I was so anxious to see the deleted scenes of this and see the cloven hoof bit. NOT THERE! What gives? When was this shown so everybody knows about it (except me)? I was SO waiting to see that bit of deleted footage. No fair! Tell me, tell me friends how everybody else saw that footage and not me since its not on the DVD...
I am also wondering why this footage isn't included with the dvd release.I just watched this episode and then all the deleted scenes but there was nothing about cloven hoves or even footprints.Is Universal still concerned about devil worship?
Starwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #30
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I was shocked that the footage wasn't there.
and I do have the dvds