Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Colonial Fleets Fan Project
Notices

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #1
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Cbsg ftl?

Has anyone taken a crack at Colonial/Cylon FTL systems, and how those might affect the story?

My Niven/Pournelle "Alderson Drive" is still out there, awaiting a home...
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Cbsg ftl?

A friend mentioned Macross Frontier.
Quote:
In MF you had to build energy for a week to be able to jump (Fold space). I prefer the idea that this takes MASSIVE ammounts of energy to do.
I like the idea .... Lightspeed is too slow or some kind of Hyperspace.

I see it like this ... the smaller ship or the civilian ships perhaps need longer times to rebuild the energy.

where as the Galactica been a military ship has the greater resources same for the larger ships

so the Rag Tag ships spend more time in real space waiting for the smaller ships to build up again....

perhaps in some area they cannot jump.

perhaps before each jump the larger ships need time to scan ahead for the next jump..

well this is the one I like at the moment.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I like Marcross Frontier, but it doesn't work within the context of what happens on screen IMO.

The Alderson Drive theory is one that's been put forward since thje early days of fandom as I recall, and is generally accepted as the way the RTF moves through space.
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
I like Marcross Frontier, but it doesn't work within the context of what happens on screen IMO.

The Alderson Drive theory is one that's been put forward since thje early days of fandom as I recall, and is generally accepted as the way the RTF moves through space.
I have to read up on it. I read the books
Quote:
The Mote in God's Eye
years ago but I cannot remember details or characters ...

I know it had a name in the BSG novels, Marrion Drive or something like that,, and Hyperspace jump is mentioned too.

Old March 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

From Sue Paxton's Battlestar Zone site:

Quote:
What kind of hyperlight drive did the Colonials use? Any time we see the fleet it’s in normal space, traveling at below the speed of light, and for the Galactica or Pegasus to approach light speed is apparently quite an event (as well it should be - check into a physics phenomenon called the Lorentz Factor sometime). Are we to assume that the Colonials had no form of faster-than-light drive? The production team (amongst whom was no one with a scientific or even science fiction background—something else that shows) appears not to have realized that the Colonials would need some sort of “warp drive” elsewise they would have gotten nowhere very slowly, and so they never mentioned an FTL drive in the series. But there is in-series evidence about the Colonial form of FTL drive. In fact, it’s a form of FTL travel used by large numbers of science fiction writers today because it seems at least remotely possible. Cal Tech physicist Dr. Dan Alderson developed the idea for Jerry Pournelle. He theorized that there are lines of force between stars along which nearly instantaneous FTL transit is possible. A ship has to be in precisely the right point in space to enter one of these ‘flaws.’ The ship arrives at the warp point, switches on its FTL drive, and reappears in another star system. All other travel is slower-than-light. Warp points are near stars, which explains why the Colonial fleet is usually in or near a star system; they’re searching for the next warp point! Therefore the Colonials, like Pournelle, McCollum, Bujold, Weber et al use the Alderson Drive. For more thorough explanation of the Alderson Drive, read “Building the Mote in God’s Eye” by Larry Niven and Pournelle in Pournelle’s A Step Farther Out. This form of travel could be the basis for a number of very interesting stories, so fan writers take note.
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #6
gmd3d
Major

Yes that works for me too.......at least it explains it well ..

Old March 12th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
WarMachine
Warrior

Okay -- I was just checking. I had never seen that at Sue's site, but it always struck me as correct within the context of the show.

Should I repost the link to my first article on it that I posted here, years ago?
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #8
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Hello All,
Been occupied with RL for a few days and haven't been able to participate in discussions til now.
If I may, I'd like to add more possibilities to this discussion. The FTL capabilities of a Battlestar has puzzled me since the show aired. There are a number of very interesting possibilities presented over the years.

I stumbled across this site quite a few years ago. For the life of me cannot remember where I found it and who was behind it or compiled it. There are some interesting ideas that might be useful.
http://www.tecr.com/galactica/engines/engines.htm

The whole site has some rather interesting things in it as well. Here it is. Not sure if this could be helpful or not.
http://www.tecr.com/galactica/

If someone knows who did this, by all means feel free to give credit to them.
Best regards.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Okay -- I was just checking. I had never seen that at Sue's site, but it always struck me as correct within the context of the show.

Should I repost the link to my first article on it that I posted here, years ago?
yes go ahead.
whatever is chosen will be by Voting.

Old March 13th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #10
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever View Post
Hello All,
Been occupied with RL for a few days and haven't been able to participate in discussions til now.
If I may, I'd like to add more possibilities to this discussion. The FTL capabilities of a Battlestar has puzzled me since the show aired. There are a number of very interesting possibilities presented over the years.

I stumbled across this site quite a few years ago. For the life of me cannot remember where I found it and who was behind it or compiled it. There are some interesting ideas that might be useful.
http://www.tecr.com/galactica/engines/engines.htm

The whole site has some rather interesting things in it as well. Here it is. Not sure if this could be helpful or not.
http://www.tecr.com/galactica/

If someone knows who did this, by all means feel free to give credit to them.
Best regards.
this is a good site cannot think of the guys name now..
some of the ideas there fit in with Peters "Alderson Drive"

good to have you back .

Old March 13th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #11
WarMachine
Warrior

This was my very first post to the board, where I argue in favor of an Alderson Drive as CBSG's FTL engine: http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=12033 -- I actually reference the TECR website, but only as a complimentary site for some generic data.