Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM   #31
Ramses
Bad Email Address

Default Re: JJ Abrams "Star Trek", Success or Failure?

okay I wasnt all to thrilled with the new design. but no biggy. overall. I loved it. it had action, the characters ended up being enough like the originals to satisfy me. it had humor. and the CGI was top rate.

okay so I can hear the shouts of the Mob, and see the torchlight in the distance LOL. Gotta go.

oh.. just to let you know I grew up watching TOS Star Trek. from 1969 till it went off syndication and every spin off they made. so dont stab me to hard with the pitch forks.
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM   #32
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
okay I wasnt all to thrilled with the new design. but no biggy. overall. I loved it. it had action, the characters ended up being enough like the originals to satisfy me. it had humor. and the CGI was top rate.

okay so I can hear the shouts of the Mob, and see the torchlight in the distance LOL. Gotta go.

oh.. just to let you know I grew up watching TOS Star Trek. from 1969 till it went off syndication and every spin off they made. so dont stab me to hard with the pitch forks.
if you enjoyed it , Great !! over all it was a success as they are making a new one.
but it not my Trek .. and I think it is not as Roddenberry would have like to see Trek go .. we know he disliked the direction of trek after TMP .. and he lost control of the franchise.

Trek was about where we are going (possibly)

The new film was Star Wars Trek .

I am not saying I don´t like action i do but tempered with a good story which Hollywood is failing with as each year passes.

but the unbelievability of the story was the worst .. and Kirk s Jump in rank from a Cadet to a Captain .. was laughable.

but that´s for me to gripe with.

But I still hate the design ....

as I said also I think the casting was over all great . (apart from Pegg´s Scotty.)

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #33
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Hate the design of the enterprise and some of the interiors... especially the brewery engine room. However I loved the movie. It made Trek exciting again for me. Grew up on the original series, and while upped a bit for today's audiences, it brought back that adventure, friendship and spirit that I have found lacking in everything since TNG and on. I really liked TNG when it aired, but cannot rewatch it now... its a giant politically correct yawn fest.

I know Roddenberry was not happy with the direction the series was taken after TMP, but in all honesty if Harve Bennet didn't do what he did I doubt we would have had TNG, DS9, and the rest. TMP is an amazing looking film, but also a yawn fest that can be hard to sit through if you're not a big Trek fan.

Plus Abrams created this in a way where it can reboot, yet not erase everything before as that is safely protected in the other timeline. No matter what certain fans say, this does not erase everything that came before. And for me that is great. Unlike how other creative types have to ignore and destroy everything that came before to do it the way they want to.

Must agree that the bump to Capt. was silly, but they had to set it up and get the crew in their places for the next film, so I can live with that stretch of logic.

So I say Success!
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM   #34
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
Hate the design of the enterprise and some of the interiors... especially the brewery engine room. However I loved the movie. It made Trek exciting again for me. Grew up on the original series, and while upped a bit for today's audiences, it brought back that adventure, friendship and spirit that I have found lacking in everything since TNG and on. I really liked TNG when it aired, but cannot rewatch it now... its a giant politically correct yawn fest.

I know Roddenberry was not happy with the direction the series was taken after TMP, but in all honesty if Harve Bennet didn't do what he did I doubt we would have had TNG, DS9, and the rest. TMP is an amazing looking film, but also a yawn fest that can be hard to sit through if you're not a big Trek fan.

Plus Abrams created this in a way where it can reboot, yet not erase everything before as that is safely protected in the other timeline. No matter what certain fans say, this does not erase everything that came before. And for me that is great. Unlike how other creative types have to ignore and destroy everything that came before to do it the way they want to.

Must agree that the bump to Capt. was silly, but they had to set it up and get the crew in their places for the next film, so I can live with that stretch of logic.

So I say Success!
I agree with all your observations Dave . from TNG onward they did dilute the feel of adventure of the original.

But when I first saw TNG ship . I did not like it much .. but it grew on me over time and I like it more now... the reboot version is just baaa it looks like 2 or 3 different styles kitbashed together

but I going on to much about the bloody ship.

perhaps the next one will bring be back around to it. who know

Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM   #35
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #36
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I agree with all your observations Dave . from TNG onward they did dilute the feel of adventure of the original.

But when I first saw TNG ship . I did not like it much .. but it grew on me over time and I like it more now... the reboot version is just baaa it looks like 2 or 3 different styles kitbashed together

but I going on to much about the bloody ship.

perhaps the next one will bring be back around to it. who know
When TNG came on the two things I waited to see was the revised Enterprise, the phasers and uniforms... wait, that's three (I have a bit of a design interest)! All three I could not believe what I saw. What utter dissappointment. Who picked those????? And I have to say the same for the new movie's Enterprise and the engine room design.

With TNG, the Enterprise D never grew on me. Hated it and was glad to see it go in Generations (I did like E). They at least changed the uniforms part way through (liked Picard's jacket) and the Phasers got an upgrade, but they were still a suck-ass design. How is it more ergonomic to twist your wrist like that for a weapon? A traditional gun/phaser actually fits the form better.

As for Roddenberry I have to respect the man. He did wonders with the series. But by the time of the movies and TNG I wonder if a new point of view entered Gene. He tried to say the Federation was non-military, and from TMP and TNG first couple seasons you can see that it was a new world of correctness that had taken over the galaxy. I'm all for the betterment of humanity, but it made it boring, and almost painful to watch at times. In the post TOS era it is ironic that the series (film and TV) really took off after Roddenbery stepped into a lesser control position. Bennett for the movies, and Berman for the series. Although Berman proves that even a good thing can stay too long and completely ruin a series. And helped prove that Manny Coto can have the stuff to save it... even though too late.

For me Star Trek has returned and it didn't crap on, obliterate or sexually molest what had come before. Unlike what a certain writer hack felt he had to do with another scifi series. Where we have one ex-TNG writer that feels he has to blow his creative feces over something to make it the way he wants it, I'm glad there are others who can pay respect to the original without treating it like garbage, and bring it up to date for a modern audience. So I can still enjoy new Trek and Doctor Who... while sadly another fond memory of mine was sacrificed to the pool of arrogance. I know there are D-Bags out there, but why did he have to get hold of that one?!

Ah well... hope that didn't go to ranty.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM   #37
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman View Post

Jim

Thank God for "Quantum" torpedoes. What are they? Who knows... just like inverted tachyon beams and negative polarity phase inductors... it was the crap that easily solved the problems and made the new series a huge f*cking bore to watch.

Give me the end of the new movie where Kirk fires everything they got to just blow it the crap out of the sky. And I can at least understand that you blow up the ejected warp core and it may make a huge explosion and push you forward. At least they didn't fire a polarized inverted sensodined (for sensitive teeth) tachyotronically preparation H'd neutron particallized inverted sensor array beam into the black hole to break themselves free. Although I do have to admit that I used just that maneuver to help change a flat tire once.

Give me a Captain that doesn't need to hold a conference with the staff to make a decision!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:51 AM   #38
gmd3d
Major

Quote:

Ah well... hope that didn't go to ranty.
No . Just interesting observations

Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #39
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Thank God for "Quantum" torpedoes. What are they? Who knows... just like inverted tachyon beams and negative polarity phase inductors... it was the crap that easily solved the problems and made the new series a huge f*cking bore to watch.
yes, that was my biggest dislike of TNG onward.

Push this button and cross the do hicky with the flow something..

it sucked the danger out of the shows.

perhaps a new thread is called for .

Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #40
WarMachine
Warrior

Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised -- I fully expected a GINO-scale disaster.

Like:

* Finally, finally, FINALLY we get a realistic Engineering section! Maybe not the best, but infinitely better than anything previously.

* Liked the characters, especially Kirk right at the very end: he had the 60's leg-cross/recline down pat...Yes, that's a nit, and an important one.

* Liked seeing more "lower decks" crew, both on-ship and at the Academy.

Dislike:

* The Bridge - Too Berman-Drek, too much glass, too bright.

* The lighting - Too bright, overall, at least on the 'E'.

The Story:

* Much better than I expected, internally consistent and closed-loop, not sanctimonious or overbearing, and not simpering or dumbed down, all of which I found surprising and refreshing, after 26 seasons of Berman & Co.

* Thought the whole "waiting 25 years for 'old-Spock'" thing should have been better explained.

* Nero needed a little bit more development - you can only sympathize with him a little, since he blames Spock not only for the death of his planet, but of his wife and family...He's not Khan, by any means, but there is a certain depth there that could have been gone into more.

* The 'E' needs a better targeting system - fast.

* Without the heavy influence of Vulcan, the Federation is going to be a VERY different place -- the internal dynamic is going to be completely whack, and very different overall, within 20 years, in-'verse.

Zachary Quinto:

* Should get an honorary Oscar for not bollocksing one of the most iconic roles on film.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:02 AM   #41
WarMachine
Warrior

Hmmmmmm.......

Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #42
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised -- I fully expected a GINO-scale disaster.

Like:

* Finally, finally, FINALLY we get a realistic Engineering section! Maybe not the best, but infinitely better than anything previously. (that's the section I think is the worst of the design)

* Liked the characters, especially Kirk right at the very end: he had the 60's leg-cross/recline down pat...Yes, that's a nit, and an important one. (The Character where very good, I would not have liked them to parody the orignals, Hated the Spock and Uhura relationship)

* Liked seeing more "lower decks" crew, both on-ship and at the Academy. (That was good in the film)

Dislike:

* The Bridge - Too Berman-Drek, too much glass, too bright.
(agreed)

* The lighting - Too bright, overall, at least on the 'E'.
(agreed)
The Story:

* Much better than I expected, internally consistent and closed-loop, not sanctimonious or overbearing, and not simpering or dumbed down, all of which I found surprising and refreshing, after 26 seasons of Berman & Co.

I thought the story had some interesting ideas but poorly delivered by the script

* Thought the whole "waiting 25 years for 'old-Spock'" thing should have been better explained.

Never got that .. and choose to forget it

* Nero needed a little bit more development - you can only sympathize with him a little, since he blames Spock not only for the death of his planet, but of his wife and family...He's not Khan, by any means, but there is a certain depth there that could have been gone into more.

* The 'E' needs a better targeting system - fast.

* Without the heavy influence of Vulcan, the Federation is going to be a VERY different place -- the internal dynamic is going to be completely whack, and very different overall, within 20 years, in-'verse.

I like the Vulcan´s and always thought that should have been more fully explored .. to late now

Zachary Quinto:

* Should get an honorary Oscar for not bollocksing one of the most iconic roles on film.
Zachary Quinto did a stunning portrayal of Spock ,,