Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old April 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Finally got the BSG Videogame

...and it took a long, long time for me to track it down after I quit my job at GameStop to join a rock band. I finally found Battlestar Galactica the videogame at a GameStop in Minot, ND.

What can I say? I LOVE THIS GAME! There are a couple of things I do not like about it though. Once you start flying the more advanced Vipers (Mk II and Strike), the familiar laser cannon sounds are replaced with more generic sounding lasers. Give me that familiar "fyeer, fyeer!" zap sound that the MK I's have in the game.

Many times, through the game, I like to buzz the Galactica! The sheer scale of the ship awes me.

Anyway, I have advanced pretty far in the game. The only word of advice anyone really needs in the game is this: "Triangle button to pick primary targets, and keep any wingmen close to defend you!" If you can keep those two maxims in mind, you should be able to get through the game with minimal fuss. When I restart the game, I will endeavor to make sure that I do not lose any wingmen. I do pretty well with one wingman...I cannot imagine what I could accomplish with three.

It is so cool to be able to hear Richard Hatch's and Dirk Benedict's voices in the game. Were you aware of some of the other sci-fi personas in the game. The voice of Adama is the guy who played the "Ranger" on Babylon 5. And, Kristanna Loken, the Terminatrix from T-3 plays Iphi in the game.

The only thing that would have made this game better is a two player dogfight mode. Hopefully, if another Galactica game is made, they will implement this.

Anyhoo, two thumbs up for this great game. I have always wanted to fly a Colonial Viper....now I can.

SO say we all!
Martok2112
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:56 PM   #2
Captain Morgan

I'm going to get this game I mean I gotta get a PS2 as well but I've needed one
of those anyway and this game seems like a good reason to get one!I can wait
to fly with APOLLO & STARBUCK as my wing-men!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Phoenix

I LOVE the game and I've had it for a month or so. I'm stuck on level 6 but I've replayed the earlier missions in hopes of obtaining an A grade, but B is the best I can seem to do even in expert mode! I too have always wanted to fly a Viper and like many of you, now I have my chance to do just that!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:02 PM   #4
Jayworld
Warrior

Having Apollo and Starbuck as your wingmen are really awesome...the voices of Dirk and Richard certainly do add a lot to the experience. In my PS2 version, I'm still on level 5, and I'm playing "regular" (not expert) mode. My grade is B or A in all missions.... Can't seem to get an A on mission 1, though, no matter how many times I play....

Jayworld
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Getting an A in first mission.

Basically, when you start the game, you start with highly configurable missiles. But did you know that as you progress through the game, your missiles gain their attributes. But here's something even better. Let's say that you are playing through mission five, and you suddenly decide you want to replay mission one again. Whatever attribute points your missiles have gained throughout your tour will carry back into mission one...in other words, you can play mission one with more powerful missiles after you've progressed through the game.

Now, with that in mind...configure your missiles to emphasize power, and blast radius,...with agility if possible. With your missiles configured thus, you should be able to take down a few raiders with one volley, provided they are close enough together.

The best thing to do is use your missiles constantly. It greatly helps your weapons accuracy grade. Use lasers only on slow moving targets, or on raiders that you know you can nail. The more raiders you splash, the higher your rating.
The more chain kills you score, the higher your rating. Make sure you have a lock on your target, then let the missiles fly. Regular Raiders take about one missile at full power. Raider leaders, two missiles.

Remember to use your primary target button when a new threat arrives.

Also, the faster your completion time, the better the grade. I managed to score an A on expert mode.

Also, the cool thing is...whatever missile attributes you had when you complete normal mode will carry over into EXPERT mode. Is that not shaweet?!

I would say "use the Force" but...wrong franchise. LOL!

Respectfully, and with wishes of success to your endeavor,
Martok2112
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

It's taken a while but I've just bought a PS2 (there was a special discount at one of my local stores over the May Day holiday weekend). I actually got the game in January! (I wanted to choose the format first - I've always leant towards the Sony systems, rather than X-Box).

After watching the preview on the re-release movie DVD last year, I was looking forward to getting my hands on the controls of a Viper, and now I've got the chance!

More later......

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Ian -

I hope you have as many hours of fun playing it as I have....! It can be frustrating at times, but it's still a blast!

Best always,
Bryan
________
Paxil Settlement
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #8
Ian_W359
Warrior

Cool "Lock S-foils in attack position...."

Oops..... Sorry, wrong galaxy!

I've played the game for a couple of hours and all I can say is -

WOW!

I'm normally used to the more sedate forms of space combat (Homeworld, Starfleet Command etc. on the PC) and hadn't really experienced this kind of game since one or two titles on the SEGA Megadrive (known in the US as the Genesis).

But even though this title is known for it's difficulty in places, the sheer feeling of speed (love those turbo-thrusters!), and knowing that you're knocking 7 shades of Hades out of the Cylons more than makes up for that.

I haven't been using the missiles much though, I guess I've been going for the 'Jango Fett' approach (using the flak cannon) - but my accuracy isn't the best (early days! I'm sure it will improve in time).

A couple of notes to end on - first : Do you think the 'tutorial' mode is a bit skimpy - I mean describing the controls isn't really the same as a full blown tutorial, ie. a flight school or something like that.....

Also - PS2 users - have you noticed the twee little Viper on the Memory Card browser screen? (the PS2 screen that shows all the saves on your memory card as graphic icons).

That's all for now, I'm gonna go and use some of the hints from Martok and the others, and turn those golmonging tin headed Cylons into scrap metal!

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote