Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 21st, 2003, 11:02 PM   #1
jjrakman

Default What elements from the Moore script do you find offensive?

Here's the script if you haven't read it:

http://battlestarfanclub.com/battlestar/bgarticle26.htm

Is it the baby skull crushing scene? Is it the sex? Is it the poor portrayal of the military? Is it the lack of family values between Apollo and Adama?
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:11 PM   #2
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

All the problems in my family make Apollo and Adama's relationship tame to me, sadly enough.
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 05:41 AM   #3
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default Kara Thrace

Upset that once again the lead female character has more "balls" than brains. She passes her fiance, Zac Lee's brother, through flight school even though she knows he's not an acceptable pilot because she "couldn't bear to fail him." Oh, but it's OK if he dies? Obviously, Ron doesn't understand how women's minds work! The slugging a superior officer thing is, I suppose, Ron's idea of letting her show her anger at herself for letting Zac die, but Lee makes the comment "Same old Kara" which leads one to believe that she's been doing stuff like that for years. So was she just weak once about the man she loved, or is she just stupid? I vote STUPID!
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 06:55 AM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

The WHOLE thing is offensive because it isn't the show I still love as an adult. It is just plain Feldercarb. My it can be fixed post in the other forum is definately a SAVING FACE post. This wreck is bad very bad.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:54 AM   #5
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default The Galactica as Museum-Ship

The warp-coils, the humano-cylons, the character rewrites, (and no Hatch, Benedict, and the rest.)
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

The shorter question is, what don't I find offensive.

The Viper.

And I'm offended they're using it in this POS.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:40 PM   #7
StallionCornell
Shuttle Pilot

The sex scenes are tacky, but they don't leave me aghast with righteous indignation. I'm more offended by the thematic elements than I am by specific plot points. The Cylon's "religion" that justifies genocide demonstrates a contempt for genuine faith. The dishonest cynicism of William Adama; the corruption of Paul Tigh; Kara Thrace's contempt for authority - all of these demonstrate a contempt for the military. I find both of these ideas offensive.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 03:02 PM   #8
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

I find his Cylon created by humans very annoying. The referance
to the mythology could have still been woven into the plot without losing
the secular slant that he wants.
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:24 PM   #9
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Also the non-battlestar, "battlestar"

They film the show to be, "Not your Dad's (or Mom's Battlestar Galactica)" and then they call it Battlestar Galactica. The Powers That Be Need to Get A Clue.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM   #10
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Don't misunderstand, I don't like much at all, if anything, about the mini.

But,.........what I find OFFENSIVE is the arrogance of the 3 fools, Bonnie, Ronnie, and Davey, as well as their little puppets (except Olmos), in trying to convince us of how this IS Battlestar Galactica.

No, fools, IT ISN'T!!
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:59 PM   #11
jjrakman

I think we can all gree that we don't like the script because it's not eh BSG we deserve. But I was more curious if beyond that, if there were elements within the script that anyone found personally offensive, besides the "it's not BSG" level.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:25 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yes, JJ, there are aspects of this production that offend me, beyond the fact that this isn't BSG (which is offensive enough).

But you don't want that rant posted here, Boss.

And it's not about the sex. It's about the portrayal of the military. It's about babykilling. It's about the stench of all the bleeding-heart liberal pity-the-poor-victim-Cylon felgercarb that permeates this POS.

But I'm not going to go there, not yet, no, sir.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:06 PM   #13
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
I think we can all gree that we don't like the script because it's not eh BSG we deserve. But I was more curious if beyond that, if there were elements within the script that anyone found personally offensive, besides the "it's not BSG" level.
I know...

Regarding specifics, I don't like the 'dysfunction for everyone', 'lack of discipline/respect' for the military, 'call-signs', 'gender change', 'human-created Cylons', 'Earth possibly not being the destination', 'gratitious sex', and 'baby killing' elements of this "effort". When one considers what might be left, the opening and/or closing credits might be the only thing of value.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote