Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default Lets look on the bright side..... Hard as that is!

Well it's not really a silver lining, but things could be worse!
If you're of the opinion that the situation we're in is that we didn't get the continuation we all wanted, and the 'new' show is garbage? Then perhaps there is something to be greatful for!
We could have got a continuation that was as bad as GINO is!
Imagine if that twat Moore had been filming this crap with the original cast tied into contracts to be in it!!!
We'd really be 'fracked' then. (I thank the Gods that Richard's not Apollo in the new show! And I didn't think I'd ever say that!)
At least the more ghastly Ron makes his show, the more that fans of the original show will turn off and want the original to return.
And OUR beloved show is safe from his inept mishandling.
Let him have his suicide bombers, his torture, rape and murder, and let those who like that sort of thing watch it.
From now on, when ever it annoys me, I'll just think of the legions of disapointed Star Wars fans, and think "it's not Phantom Menace, we've still got a chance to see it done right! They haven't".

Keep The Faith!
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2
mocha2112
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian Draco
Well it's not really a silver lining, but things could be worse!
If you're of the opinion that the situation we're in is that we didn't get the continuation we all wanted, and the 'new' show is garbage? Then perhaps there is something to be greatful for!
We could have got a continuation that was as bad as GINO is!
Imagine if that twat Moore had been filming this crap with the original cast tied into contracts to be in it!!!
We'd really be 'fracked' then. (I thank the Gods that Richard's not Apollo in the new show! And I didn't think I'd ever say that!)
At least the more ghastly Ron makes his show, the more that fans of the original show will turn off and want the original to return.
And OUR beloved show is safe from his inept mishandling.
Let him have his suicide bombers, his torture, rape and murder, and let those who like that sort of thing watch it.
From now on, when ever it annoys me, I'll just think of the legions of disapointed Star Wars fans, and think "it's not Phantom Menace, we've still got a chance to see it done right! They haven't".

Keep The Faith!
I dunno, after this past week I don't know how I can see a "bright side" any more. My heart sank last Monday when I first saw the promo for the "Peagus" episode. I didn't watch this past episode of TNS, but from what I'm reading, it sounds awful. I used to be sheepish about telling people my favorite Sci Fi was BSG because I really don't want the ridicule and mocking about liking "the cheesy show". Now I feel I have to keep my opinion to myself even more so in case people think I mean TNS, because I certainly don't want anyone to think I even remotely like that thing. (Even when a certain someone wears a black leather jacket. )

I think Sci Fi and BSG has been damaged beyond repair after last Friday night... I hope history proves me wrong.

Old September 26th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I agree with you 100%.

I remember Tom DeSanto's interview with Commander Taggert and he actually thought of Moore as one of his show runners.

I wonder what he actually thinks now?
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocha2112
I dunno, after this past week I don't know how I can see a "bright side" any more. My heart sank last Monday when I first saw the promo for the "Peagus" episode. I didn't watch this past episode of TNS, but from what I'm reading, it sounds awful. I used to be sheepish about telling people my favorite Sci Fi was BSG because I really don't want the ridicule and mocking about liking "the cheesy show". Now I feel I have to keep my opinion to myself even more so in case people think I mean TNS, because I certainly don't want anyone to think I even remotely like that thing. (Even when a certain someone wears a black leather jacket. )

I think Sci Fi and BSG has been damaged beyond repair after last Friday night... I hope history proves me wrong.

I hear you mate!
But I see it this way:
I'm proud of TOS, just like I'm proud of Roddenberry's vision of the future in Star Trek. Sci-Fi SHOULD be about hope, and humanity's best aspects. About striving to overcome adversity without becoming animals.
I no longer feel that ANY other sci-fi fans have the 'high ground' of fandom when it comes to 'their show' over BSG! I'm proud to say that I love TOS, not this new ghastly rubbish!
Sci-Fi fans DON'T want this kind of garbage! It's what has now killed the Star Trek franchise, and it'll kill GINO as well.
GINO has NOTHING to do with OUR show Mocha!
NOT A FRACKING THING Mate, so don't despair!

Lords of Kobol only know what Moore is attempting with this trite rubbish!
Perhaps he thinks himself the 'Tarantino' of the genre? If so his attempt comes accross more like: An even more 'cut price' Guy Ritchie does 'Space Above and Beyond'.
I thought for a while he was attempting the kind of clever 'shock value' of Robert Heinlein in the classic 'Starship Troopers' but having looked a bit more closely, I think he lacks the talent (in spades) and the intelligence to even see what a great writer like Heinlein was attempting.
I really wanted to at least find something in GINO to like! I've analysed it to the Nth degree! I even fantasised that he was shooting for a kind of 'role reversal' where the Cylons end up being more Human than the Colonials, and as there appears to be some kind of 'morality' based conflict amongst the Colonials, perhaps he'd turn one of them to the Cylon side (like Corum in Moorcock's Eternal Champion novels) to create an anti-hero 'nemesis' to lead the Cylons in a crusade to destroy the corruption and cruelty of the humans.
I think I was giving him WAY too much credit there!
I think he's more about shocks and controversy, with an extemely dodgy morality reflected in the 'ends justify the means' sotylines that are so far removed from what TOS was all about.
However, that said, imagine how we'd all feel if he'd been given the reigns of a show with the original cast to mess with?
We should all be greatful!
We've seriously dodged the bullet here!
The one thing that talentless wanker can't mess with is OUR vision of the show, or our memories of it!
I don't think I'd feel the same if I'd just watched Dirk Benedict torture a prisoner for 45 minutes!
Not that I think Dirk would have swallowed that felgercarb for a second! I think he'd have stuffed the script where the sun don't shine on RDM.
But you take my point? Let him destroy HIS show! Let us be greatful he can't touch OURS!
I think that he's in the process of gifting us with the best 'boost' for the cause of of a revival in the last few years!
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
I agree with you 100%.

I remember Tom DeSanto's interview with Commander Taggert and he actually thought of Moore as one of his show runners.

I wonder what he actually thinks now?
I tell you mate, seeing it this way has totally changed my POV.
When GINO arrived, first I was excited, then I was hopeful, then disapointed, then totally gutted, then sickened and angry!
But nothing cheers you up like the other side scoring an own goal!

Keep the Faith!!!!!
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #6
mocha2112
Warrior

It's nice that you're trying, really. You're much stronger than I am. All I can think is that *we* know the two shows aren't the same, but if the "average" person still l describes TOS as "cheesy" and "campy", I can't see them not seeing the whole franchise as just simply bad TV after this week's episode of TNS.
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #7
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

GINO is simply that. Galactica - IN NAME ONLY.

And not even remotely a worthy successor to the name.

I DID watch the Pegasus episode - and hated it. I mean... there was so much that could have been done with it, that could have made it a good - GREAT - show and, once again, Moore missed out.

And, while Star Trek had the knack of relating to events going on they didn't ram it down our throats and they didn't PREACH. And what Moore is saying is trite, it's CHILDISH, BOORISH and damned sad.

So, sayonara, GINO. I hope both crews blow themselves up!
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

A friend of mine met with Tom DeSanto a few weeks or so ago and asked him if he knew who was playing female Cain on GINO. DeSanto asked to brace himself first then asked who. My friend told him Michelle Forbes and DeSanto shook his head and said Oh No.

People say the new show is more popular than the original? doubtful. and time will tell on that.

I don't want to keep bashing the new show anymore but when I saw a woman in her early 50s in Best Buy 3 weeks ago buying the 1st season of GINO and the 3rd season of the original Star Trek (she also had the much better ST:ToS season 2), I did jokingly think that she was a glutton for punishment. And I'm a big ToS Star Trek fan.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

And if Bryan Singer did get his continuation and hire Moore like he considered, yes imo the continuation would be bad and bring back memories of something horrible that aired in January 1980.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #10
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

I agree - I think getting a sucky continuation could have been as bad as what we ended up with.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #11
JLHurley
Warrior

Speaking of "campy" Battlestar Galactica...

The first time I heard BG described as "campy," it struck me as inappropriate--and of course, it was in an article about the new BG. Campy to me has always been the 60's "Batman" or the 70's "Land of the Lost." What campy TV/movie depicts things like the near-genocide of the human race (and not just a planet's worth of humans either, but TWELVE PLANETS' worth of humans) or the deaths of a beloved mother and wife (Serina), living legends like Cain or Kronos, or barely-heroic characters like Leda?

Campy my *ss!
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #12
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImmortal
I agree - I think getting a sucky continuation could have been as bad as what we ended up with.
Worse Rhonda! GINO doesn't damage your memories of TOS. Think what 2 series of Ron Moore working his 'magic' with the original cast could have done!!!

We've been lucky! And our luck is getting better!!!!
The further removed from TOS that GINO becomes, the stronger the case for a continuation.
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I feel it is wrong headed for any TOS fan to be so disheartenned. Hear me out here. TOS is about hope. Its about overcomming the destruction of all that we hoped for, believed in, it was all destroyed by a parasitic menace called GINO.. I mean Cylons. Well we fled at first, to where we were safe, and we waited, and some of us were duped into believing that white was black and all, ala 1984, but we HAVE survived, we have excellent leadership in the form of this forums staff, we have great dreams, and we will overcome. THis is actually inspiring to me, we are living, rather mundanely, the BSG experience. GINO... I mean the Cylons are kicking up some dust, sure, but we will previal. Good overcomes bad, it has always been that way, it will be that way again.
Im in the medical field, we sell hope, we sell futures. THats our job, to treat whats wrong, and make it better, to give back the hope and dreams that the patient is lacking due to an affliction. Well, allow me to set the sickenss in perspective. Its only temporary. Like all bad TV, it will go its way. There are other shows that have come along, were a flash in the pan, and went away. How many people railed against ST:TNG when it first came out? Unlike GINO, it changed itself, it became more what the STTOS fans wanted, not exactly, but it got better. So too, will this one, it will either get better, I hope, or go away. We WILL win in the end, good BSG will one day come to the small screen. We have great leaders supplying good medicine in the form of support pages, chat room supports and much more than I am not privy to. Trust, faith, hope, dreams... this is what we found in TOS, and Im NOT going to let that slip away because of a bad BSG on TV. So take heart, we will win, it cant last forever!

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #14
JLHurley
Warrior

"Its about overcomming the destruction of all that we hoped for, believed in, it was all destroyed by a parasitic menace called GINO.. I mean Cylons."

...!
Old September 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #15
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

You know...

I always wondered if Ron's problem with his 'vision' is that he has no hope for himself and, therefore, can't write about it. It makes me wonder how he ever headed up a single Star Trek episode, though but there we are.

There will ALWAYS be the optomists in any situation - the people that WILL see a silver lining, regardless of how dark a situation is.

I don't see any of that optimism.

No matter how dark things got on TOS - and they did get dark - there was hope. The good guys were good guys and acted that way. They stuck up for each other and you know why? Because they knew all they had to rely on was themselves!!!!!

And that, primarily, is something that is missing from Gino - and has been from day 1...

--Rhonda