Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Quickie reviews 003

VIDEOGAME: SOCOM: US NAVY SEALS COMBINED ASSAULT
DEVELOPER: ZIPPER INTERACTIVE
PUBLISHER: SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
SYSTEMS: PS2
RATING: T (TEEN for DRUG REFERENCES and VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (2-4 CO-OP ONLINE OR LAN) (2-32 LAN OR ONLINE)

Graphics: 4/5
Sound: 5/5
Control: 4/5
Story: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 5/5
Frustration Factor: 2/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4/5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: SOCOM SERIES, GHOST RECON SERIES

DETAILS: Zipper Interactive has done it once again with their fourth console entry (fifth total entry) into the SOCOM US NAVY SEALS franchise. The US NAVY co developed this game, but in no way endorses it. However, that does not stop this game from being a slight recruiting tool for the U.S. NAVY, especially it's SEAL branch. It even has a sort of recruiting passage at the front of the game's instruction manual.

Ah, but to the game. Well, it handles just like any other SOCOM game. The controls take a slight bit of getting used to...maybe about 15-20mins of gameplay before it becomes second nature to you. As with previous SOCOM titles, it utilizes a USB headset so that you can voice command your fireteam, or better yet, chat with your buds in online deathmatches and missions.

Unlike previous entries in the SOCOM series, this game takes place in the fictional nation of Adjikistan as opposed to the globe trotting nature of earlier titles.

If you own both SOCOM CA, and SOCOM FT Bravo 2, you will see how the two teams' adventures cross over and effect the other.

The voice command is still pretty quirky. On occasion, even if you speak clearly and crisply through the mic, your teammates might respond with "All due respect, sir, but what the hell are you talking about?" It also doesn't take long to memorize the specific voice commands needed to make things happen. You can even go so specific as to direct a single teammate, as opposed to half a fire team. Of course, if you are not of the voice command bent, you can use the in-game menu with a touch of the "circle" button to bring up available commands for your fireteam. (It's pretty fun using the voice command though....I try using my best Michael Ironside voice during the game...a tip of the hat to Splinter Cell, of which that actor does lend his voice). Also, you cannot give seperate orders for Able and Bravo elements to perform simultaneously, it just doesn't work. I tried to get Able Two (callsign Jester) to restrain one target, and get Bravo element to restrain another. Only one of the targets will be restrained, and you have to reissue the order to the element that failed to carry out your command....or just go restrain the enemy yourself.

Graphically, the game really hasn't improved over the three previous console releases. It does look rather dated now, but it does not detract from the game play. Sounds are nigh perfection. And the music is really good...gets the blood pumpin' for those missions.

You can also use vehicles in this game, in addition to mounting machine gun emplacements. That adds a nice elemental touch to the SOCOM series. I'll be interested to see how this pans out in online (or LAN) multiplayer games.

There is a pretty heavy frustration factor here though...especially in terms of body count clutter. On one occasion, I was using non-lethal weapons to try and capture as many enemy soldiers as I could. At one point, I thought I had four of them lined up, ready to be restrained....but as it turned out, one of them was still armed, and did not show as red in my cross hairs until it was too late....and thus fell Martok. In another occasion, I lost one of my teammates, and accidentally restrained an enemy soldier on top of him, thus I could not lift the body of my fallen teammate to carry home. Arrrgghhhh.

A.I. in this game is also somewhat quirky. Sometimes the enemies are down right stoopid....other times, they can pick you off in seemingly total darkness. (Did the enemy get night-vision capabilities, and H.Q. didn't notify us?)

Sniping is always fun, and you have to pick your targets carefully. Shoot a target that happens to have two or three of his buddies close by, and the stealth goes the way of the dodo. I also like using flashbang grenades on a roomful of enemies, watching them surrender obsequiously to my superior firepower.

This game also features the crosstalk function, which was introduced between SOCOM 3: US NAVY SEALS, and SOCOM Fireteam Bravo for the PSP. Essentially, what you do on one system can effect the way the game plays on the other. Same thing here with SOCOM COMBINED ASSAULT, and the most recent PSP title SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2. The crosstalk function is pretty fun. You can have Fireteam Bravo on the PSP clear out a crash site, and when Fireteam Alpha on the PS2 comes to that crash site, they'll find fewer enemies to contend with, thanks to the little bros on the PSP. It is also a means to unlock multiplayer characters and weapons, and a host of other things between the two.
A special USB cable is required to make the connection between the PS2 and the PSP.

It would also seem that Zipper has decided to tone down SOCOM for this latest entry. Previous SOCOM titles were rated M because of Blood and Language. For this game, they've toned it down to rated T so that young'n's parents might be a little more inclined to let them in on this exciting game series.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're a SOCOM fan, this latest entry in the SOCOM series won't disappoint. Just expect the usual troubles and tribulations as in past titles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEOGAME: SOCOM US NAVY SEALS FIRETEAM BRAVO 2
DEVELOPER: ZIPPER INTERACTIVE
PUBLISHER: SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
SYSTEMS: PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP)
RATING: T (TEEN for DRUG REFERENCE and VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (2-16 AD HOC--WIRELESS LAN, or INFRASTRUCTURE-- WIRELESS ONLINE)

Graphics: 4/5
Sound: 5/5
Control: 3.5/5
Story: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 4/5
Frustration Factor: 3.5/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4/5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: SOCOM US NAVY SEALS FIRETEAM BRAVO, MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES

DETAILS: Another nice title for the little system that could from Zipper Interactive. This is the second PSP based title (sixth total title) of the SOCOM franchise. For this gamer, it does not disappoint.

Graphically, the game is about the same as the previous PSP installment, and that is not a bad thing. Sounds are perfectly on par with its console big brother. Controls are a little more simplified, given the limited nature of the PSP's setup, but it still handles pretty nicely. The compromise is that you sometimes have to activate free look, or switch to a scope if equipped to look high and low, and all about...but it's not too bad a compromise.

As with the first PSP title, you can actually lock onto nearby enemies, and then zoom in with your sniper scope for a head shot....and do it with fairly rapid succession.

In a new twist for the SOCOM series, you also get rewarded in Command Equity and Local Influence points in this game for certain actions. Here's how it works: Command Equity points are gained by accomplishing objectives both primary and secondary. You can use these command points to purchase certain assets in the game like body armor, or airstrikes, or other advanced tech to help your missions. You are rewarded in Local Influence if you do things like capture enemy forces as opposed to killing them, or liberating hostages. Local Influence points open up black arms weapons you can use later. I've rather taken a liking to trying to capture enemies...and see if I can get through a mission without killing a single soul. (It's even carried over into my SOCOM COMBINED ASSAULT playing, although there aren't really any rewards for taking disposable enemies alive in that game.)

The crosstalk feature also opens up other options in both Fireteam Bravo Two, and Combined Assault. Extra multiplayer characters, different weapons, etc. What you do in one game can affect events in the other.

Apparently, as with the previous PSP entry, you can also use a special headset that allows you to chat with your buds online, but unlike the console titles, this game (nor the original Fireteam Bravo) allows you to voice command your teammate. (In Fireteam Bravo, you have only one teammate, whereas in the console versions, you have three.)

Context sensitive icons appear whenever you can perform an action, or direct you virtual teammate to carry it out. It's quite fun.

I haven't tried online multiplayer yet, but it oughtta be a blast. I still have yet to see if my headset works online.

Also, like the console cousin of COMBINED ASSAULT, this title has received a TEEN rating as opposed to Mature like past titles. Zipper must be wanting to extend its fanbase considerably, given the popularity of the titles.

BOTTOM LINE: If you liked the original Fireteam Bravo, then this one will be a sure winner in your PSP library.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------