Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old July 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #31
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Has anyone not seen it yet? Mrs. Dawg and I went today. And I say: Go see it, at least once, in the theater. It's worth the price of admission.

4.5 of 5.

A few spoilers follow.

This was a fast 2.5 hours - one of the marks of a superior film. It draws you in, holds the tension well, and makes you believe a man can fly...

I watched for the material some say was lifted from S1 - and yes, it was, but no, it wasn't. This was an airplane rescue, but a different airplane rescue - Supes didn't have an easy time of it this time - and the lines that were lifted from S1 throughout the movie were delivered with a nod and a wink, a twinkle in the eye, that said to those of us who remember S1 and 2 fondly that the filmmakers are right there with us.

I liked Kate Bosworth. I liked Brandon Routh. Loved Kevin Spacey. I even liked the kid - who is Superman's son, they left no doubt.

There was a lot of emotional pain in the character interactions that came across. You can already see the wheels turning in the mind of the Richard White character - how can you compete with Superman?

And as for him moving the kryptonite-laced land mass? That was him reaching down deep for the strength to do what was necessary despite the odds against him - the wound, the beating he took, the fact he didn't have the strength he needed to do it, but he did it anyway. That's what a hero does.

But above all else - this was a highly entertaining movie about a comic book character. Just like S1 & 2. Superman is an iconic figure (dare I say 'cultural phenomenon'?) who is an old-fashioned, true-blue hero. To portray him otherwise would be disrespectful to the source material.

This movie was fun. It was entertainment. It was a comic book come to life - spectacular life. We don't see many movies like this in a year, one you can go in and root for the good guy and boo and hiss the bad guy. And just have fun.

Frankly, we need more movies like that.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #32
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Well told, Dawg. Well told indeed!
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #33
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

The one scene that gets me every time is the one in the baseball stadium....

The scene where the entire stadium is clapping and cheering with the John Williams theme playing - I feel my throat catch every single time so far. At that point, you realize that Superman really is back and people are glad to see him.

You can't ask for more from a film when it generates an emotional reaction, now can you?

I'm feeling a fourth showing in my future soon, but I think that I'll wait until next weekend!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #34
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

What I loved about this movie, and I think it's been mentioned by someone else perhaps here, is that there was more than just one hero in this film.
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #35
KJ
Strike Leader

What you all make of this over at Supermancinema though?

True or a bit too harsh.

http://thecinemaforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2954

Hmmmm? Hate to say it but it could very well be true indeed, and i've yet to see the film. I just happen to share their opinion about the audiences judgement considering the box office numbers i've been hearing for films as of this past weekend?

Quote:
But other than that, most of the time it seems like all of the CRAP movies do the huge business.
KJ
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #36
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Then why doesn't this FARQUAAD move out of our country, and go somewhere where his rights to say such things would be greatly diminished.

"Oh, and Americans do suck. I'm more and more ashamed to be one of them each day."

The country'd be a better place without his ilk.

Sorry, I just hate hearing my fellow countrymen slapping my home in the face like that.

Back to the subject at hand. My friends, we've seen this before. Take Serenity. Granted, it wasn't as well known as Superman, but still there were a lot of FF/Serenity fans who questioned the country's tastes when Serenity (for all intents and purposes) bombed at the B.O....box office receipts favoring other films at the time like DOOM. Americans want to blame the American movie going public....citing that general America is dumber than themselves, which pisses me off to no fracking end.

I can agree about the points regarding reality tv....I HATE reality tv...but these are movies we are talking about. While I am saddened that SR is not doing as well compared to POTC2, I hardly think it is a statement about the American public. So tastes change. Frankly, I enjoyed SR a lot more than POTC2.

At least Superman Returns is not a bomb. I figure, if it's already done triple figures, then it must be doing pretty well. Now, there is the question of whether or not it will break even, or draw profit.

Anymore, I think that any film that grosses more than 80 million, even if that number is worldwide, is considered a hit.

I just hope SR does well enough to warrant a sequel or two.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #37
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I will agree that the American film and television audience is quite different from that of other countries. I really don't understand it fully myself. I've seen plenty of successes that I don't fathom and the same with some of the failures as well. There is no simple explanation and I'm not looking for one.

Superman Returns is still generating revenue and hasn't had a full overseas release as yet - it's far from over. If someone doesn't like the film, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong with them, it's just either not what they expected, or some of the story elements didn't work. My initial reaction was kind of mixed, but after giving it a bit of a think and watching the film a couple more times really worked for me. It's not perfect, but it's an excellent restart to the franchise.

I still see a sequel coming....

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #38
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Beautifully told, Bryan.