Old February 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #31
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Viper Jacket Pattern For Those Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnessworks View Post

Right sleeve along longest edge with the "don't do" spot 19 1/2 inches

Left sleeve largest piece along the bottom (smallest) edge 14 3/4 inches
I have longish arms, so I'll add accordingly.
Apolloisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Harnessworks
Bad Email Address

When you get the pattern pieces cut out, lay it along your arm before you cut your material, or line up all the pieces, overlapping 1/2 inch each and measure them and then your arm to compare before you cut. The measurements I posted are for you to blow up the pattern to a correct size to start with. Otherwise you might have a teeny weeny viper jacket for a Barbie doll. Hard to get buckles for those
Harnessworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM   #33
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnessworks View Post
Hard to get buckles for those
Oh, I'll be fine.
You've given me (us) the essential basics; I'll hover with the fine points!
Thanks so much!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #34
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Soooooo awesome!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #35
Harnessworks
Bad Email Address

Alright, got a better idea for posting the pattern pieces and took a picture of them on my cutting mat. Why I didn't think of that before I have no idea but this will make it easier to get the pattern right if you want to trace it off at home. You can get a mat like this anywhere they sell material pretty much.

I LOVE that you can upload more than one photo at a time here THANKS!!!
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #36
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

I can certainly hover with THIS!
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #37
Harnessworks
Bad Email Address

Hi everyone,

I had it suggested by an individual that the pattern I have for this jacket could be a lot simpler by making a whole sleeve and solid fronts. You would then make the cording and top stitch all of that to the jacket in the appropriate places.

Here's my take on that. Yes this would initially seem like a simpler option to making this jacket but you will have this issue..

1. You will have to turn all your pieces of cording so that the edge of the casing is on the interior, or cut it very short before you top stitch it to your uniform.

2. If you top sticth the cording to your uniform your going to have a lot of time hand stitching (not my personal favorite).

3. You now have the challenge of making sure that you keep your lines straight while your sewing.

My favorite method:

1. Cut a 2 inch wide strip of material.

2. Lay your cording in the middle and stitch the material over the cording. A zipper foot gets you really nice and close. (Miel has a really nice set of photos showing how to do this on her tutorial).

3. When you put your two sleeve sections together (for example) you will lay one section good side up down first. Then along the edge that is to be sewn and corded, lay the cording, with the cord closest to the inside and the raw edge against the raw edge of the bottom piece.

4. Lay the top piece (the other part of the sleeve) good side down along the matching raw edge.

5. Pin and then using a zipper foot, sew as close to the cording as you can get.

When you lay this piece out flat you will have a very clean line with no exposed stitching in less than half the time it would have taken to top stitch this on or even turn your cording inside out.

Another thing that you can do if you have the cuts as I described, is you can easily insert a pocket below the box on the left chest and under the flap on the right arm. Makes a nice little place to tuck something if your out and about.

So anyway, that gives you another way to think about the uniform or the pattern. If some of you want to top stitch this, I can easily take some photos of a full sleeve for you. Let me know.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM   #38
Nitestar
Just Lost My Cherry!

Do you know where we can find the buckles for this? Besides the person on ebay who rarely posts them... or answers questions.
Nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #39
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestar View Post
Do you know where we can find the buckles for this? Besides the person on ebay who rarely posts them... or answers questions.
The buckles are quickly becoming impossible to find. with the recent surge in classic BSG costuming eating up the supply that had been out there. unfortunately it's starting to look like we may need to find someone to remanufacture these, but that's going to raise the price a lot

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #40
Nitestar
Just Lost My Cherry!

Here's the thing... the more people who get in on a group order, the more the price will go down. We just did this with a helmet purchase, which helped a lot. The thing here would be finding a manufacturer who would do it. And if nothing else... an option might be to switch material... go with plastic rather than metal. Those 3D printers can make quite a few things... a scad of these probably wouldn't be much for one... the only trick will be making the mechanics work. With the new plastic paint that they have out that is metallic, it would look like metal when finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2SN6JDF5I

They can do it in silver or gold... very cool!
Nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #41
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

oh, I know all about group orders and using 3D printers. Blackstar Squadron has done 2 group orders on Uniforms from Battlestargalactica.org and we're just completing a group order on lasers.

it's a complex buckle, and would require at least 5 or 6 parts for each buckle, plus a system to attach them to the jacket itself (I have a set of chromed buckles here since I intend to have blue jacket made for my wife)

manufactures I've heard from will not make fewer then a couple hundred buckles at the least. That ALOT of people to get into a group order.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #42
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
manufactures I've heard from will not make fewer then a couple hundred buckles at the least. That ALOT of people to get into a group order.

With 4 to a set that is only 50 sets. I wouldn't have thought that was an unrealistic amount to move

Cheers
Lara
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #43
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
After reading this thread: http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=18592 Especially the post from Jacktraven (with the screenshots from "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero"). I instantly thought of the winter coats (which use the same buckles) as well.

10499659_1[1].jpg 14358104_1[1].jpg 14358104_2[1].jpg 14358104_3[1].jpg 10499659_2[1].jpg

I think that this will finish off any Colonial Warriors uniform requirements.

Last edited by Rhaven Blaack; January 28th, 2014 at 06:37 AM..
Rhaven Blaack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #44
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Plastic isn't really a good option for the buckles and in the end I don't think it would save that much money. As a costuming community the shortage is definitely something we need to find a solution for. The buckles are such an integral piece of the jacket that absolutely define the look. I've seen some knock offs (on some horribly produced jackets by a certain costumer of ill repute) that really take away from the look of the jacket.

Any idea where we could get them made? Alibaba?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote