Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Costuming Guild
Notices
Costuming Guild For the costuming

Old September 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Default Warrior's Battle Jacket

Does anyone remember the adverts that were on the backs of the big black and white comic magazines like EERIE, CONAN, CREEPY, VAMPIRELLA, etc.?

I did and rather than look through my stash of back issues, which would take weeks, if not months, I got a back issue of EERIE magazine with the advert on it.

I don't know my new printer all that well, so I can't use the scan function yet, but I'll describe what the blurb says on the back.

WARRIOR'S BATTLE JACKET: Super deluxe space jacket of some of your favorite T.V characters in a ruggedly constructed light olive brown denim. Its unique styling and its 100% cotton denm durability make this the perfect family jacket for anywhere wear. Whether it's from the baseball game to the disco, or from the backyard to your own space fantasy, this jacet will get you there warmly and in style! Machine washable and dryable, comes with special patch, emblem, 2 insignia pins, care and handling information and four unique clasps (3 on sizes 4-6X) to complement that unique look of your favorite television heroes!

The prices were ranged from $24.95 for childrens sizes 4,5,6 and 6X up to $39.95 for a Men's extra large.

The manufacturer was called Captain Company, and the issue even has the order form in the back, as well as kits advertized for the Battlestar Galactica a Cylon Raider and a Colonial Viper. And talk about CHEAP! The Viper was only $4.50 and the BG was marked at $7.95!

Of course, these prices are what was indicative of the late 1970's, early
1980's.

As a teenager, I dreamed of having one of these jackets for my own, but seeing as how I was of a large frame back then, at least in height, I would have had to get a Woman's large or a man's medium in order for it to fit.

It's too bad that this company is no longer in business of making the jacket, or any of the other stuff.

Anyone else?
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Re: Warrior's Battle Jacket

There were a few discussions of these jackets and Yes, I would have loved to have had one. The problem with them was only a VERY few of them were the correct color. They then switched to an Olive Green color and finally to a "new and improved" Tan color. They were also made of denum, not any sort of suade product.

A member of Blackstar Squadron uses one of these jackets, Dyed the correct colors as her costume Jacket. And another has a JAcket he has used in his Battlestar Callisto Film shorts for his wife to wear.

Still a GReat looking jacket.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

someone reposted this over on the Blackstar Squadron forums.

thought you'd enjoy it

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Matador
Viper Pilot

Cool add. I remember seeing those... I used to want one myself. Glad I waited.

So is there anyone from this forum that knows how to make the jackets and suits?

Just looking for another option besides BSG.org or that Katarra woman.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Grrrr!

Who do I talk to about purchasing the licenses to manufacture and sell the jackets?

This time in a nice faux suede instead of denim!

Ultrasuede is waaaay too pricey, as I have said in another post, so I would look at something else for the jacket.

Or, barring that, the license the manufacture and sell the sewing pattern?

Which is more feasible, do you think? Pattern or jacket?
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Matador
Viper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chirri View Post
Grrrr!

Who do I talk to about purchasing the licenses to manufacture and sell the jackets?

This time in a nice faux suede instead of denim!

Ultrasuede is waaaay too pricey, as I have said in another post, so I would look at something else for the jacket.

Or, barring that, the license the manufacture and sell the sewing pattern?

Which is more feasible, do you think? Pattern or jacket?
I think both... Can't have one without the other.

Do you really need a licnese for that? Maybe you can call it something else. Like Super Warrior jacket or something.

Do you know the patterns?
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Unfortunately that would be a NO!!!!

In order to even START on drafting a pattern, I'd need accurate shots of the jacket from the front, back and sides, as well as detail shots of the collar, cuffs, closures, lining, pockets, shoulder pads, etc.

Since I am a complete fumble fingers when it comes to drawing, I'd have to invest in one of those sewing pattern drafting programs and they ain't that cheap!
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

ok, my first comment to Captain Chirri and Matador is You should both register over at the Blackstar Squadron forums, since alot of this has ben discussed already

Now to answer Matador's question about anyone else besides BSG.Org and Katarra doign costumes, it's a Yes and a no.

Monolith21 Put this together listing everyone who says they make costumes and "graded" the quality of those costumes
http://www.forums.colonialfleets.com...ad.php?t=16943

As he mentioned a member here and a co-founder of Blackstar Squadron is working on making The Tan tunics and pants for the Uniform. But there is no one currently working on a Jacket. Monolith is Mieal Deneb's customer on the commission. But her waiting list of commissions is a bit long since she also does Star Wars costumes. And she just had a little addition to the family.

Ultra Suade is concidered the correct Screen used material (although there is still some debate about that) But a couple of alternatives have come up. I haven't picked up sampled of either of these, but I hear they are usable fabrics.

http://www.syfabrics.com/Browse.aspx...uede-Cloth/253

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Butter...6VVviewcat.htm

They are cheaper then Ultra Suade, and The first link I believe is closer colorwise to the Correct brown color.

As for patterns, well, I really can't help you there. There was a project going on last year to creat a pattern from a jacket (without taking the jacket apart) but that project has stalled. There are members of Blackstar Squadron and I believe here Who could provide you with detailed photos of the Jackets. (possibly even screen used ones) If you think that would help you develope a pattern for fan made jackets.

Another goal of mine for Blackstar Squadron is to get everyone who can sew and make these costumes together to co-ordinate and develope the best patterns possible for the costumes and help make more accurate and cheaper (hopefully, while not discounting the work being put into the costume by the maker ) available for anyone who wants them.

Even some of the variations, like the G1980 Woman's Jumpsuit. Or the Tunics that zipper up the back.

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Matador
Viper Pilot

OK, I'll move this over to the Blackstar squadron.

I would be happy to provide detailed photos of my jacket if you would like.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Okey doke.

I just registered over at Blackstar Squadron.

I'd appreciate any and all help in this little endeavor of mine.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

ok, I just checked and you are already cleared to read and post on the forums Captain (I went over to do it, but it was already done)

The first area to look at is labeled costume resources, right now it just includes the 2 links I already posted here, but as more and more people try to work on home made costumes, I expect that to grow.

Also in that section is a repost of Monolith21's costume break down. basically who offers what and ups and downs of each place.

In the costume section there should be a more detailed discussion of costume fabrics, but I'd need to check to be sure.