Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Cylon Alliance- critical Error.

http://www.cylon.org/phpBB2/index.php
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #2
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

I'm getting the same thing. I'm sure Sandy will have it back up before my withdrawal symptoms make T'Pol look well-adjusted.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #3
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I have been wondering about looking to join CA. But the public apology from Sandy a while ago, lead me to believe that it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Without racking over old wounds, can I ask how much happens at CA more than happens here at Fleets ? Is it worth joining ?

Thanks in advance....

Ernie90125
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #4
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Ernie, CA is a wonderful place. In the end, it's my online BSG "home." The thing that separates CA is that it's a Free Speech Board, and very little moderation occurs. All bets are off... you can say anthing you wish... and to anyone to whom you wish to say it. But, be warned, that means anyone can say anything they wish to YOU. There's no running to the mods or admins if you're offended... as the rules say... they aren't looking for "girlie men," but as long as you're not a clone, and as long as you tell the truth, and as long as you don't intentionally try to incite trouble (and as long as your skin is reasonably thick) then CA can be a wonderful place to let your hair down, have your say, enjoy some pretty incredible debates (and not just limited to BSG... or even SciFi, either).

I suspect anyone who would take the trouble to trash CA is somone sitting int he corner licking his or her wounds. It's quite a family over there... and I have a pretty damn good time.

Know that CA is, by and larege, pro-TOS. And while the board doesn't have an anti-mini/series stance, the majority of its posters do. Pro Moore folks are welcome to post... but don't think for a second that they won't be challenged. And be sure not to mistake a challenge that's intended to spark or carry on legitimate debate as "an attack" suggesting that Moore folks are "unwelcome." The heat can be turned up pretty high at CA, but, if you can take it, you will make some warm, wonderful, and caring new cyber family members.

Sandy's apology, while unnecessary IMHO, should suggest to you what an incredbile conscience he has as an administrator, rather than make you wonder whether CA membership is "worth the trouble."
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #5
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Mind if I ask what 'being a clone' is ?

If it is private membership, will you sponser my entrance ?

Thanks in advance....

Ernie90125
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Mind if I ask what 'being a clone' is ?

If it is private membership, will you sponser my entrance ?

Thanks in advance....

Ernie90125
Ernie -

Being a "clone" is in effect someone that registers under more than one handle for the purpose of causing trouble - basically what is known as "trolling".

Bryan
________
Lovely Wendie99
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #7
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Ah... I think I understand. My clone won't be signing up at CA - he's too busy apologising for having altered the stitching of Janet Jackson's top..... :-))))))))

I'd never even thought of cloning myself......
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"The thing that separates CA is that it's a Free Speech Board, and very little moderation occurs"

I do not wish to reopen an old wound, but for the benefit of those who are thinking of joining that place, I feel I have to say this.

There *is* one restriction on Free Speect at that place and that has to do with what I consider to be an outrageous practice of theirs called the "Call Out" section. Yes, you can say anything you like without interference, and others can say anything they like about you, but if someone gets offended rightly or wrongly by what you say, and decides to "Call You Out" then your freedom of speech becomes forfeit and you will be *forced* to engage in a long-term pissing contest with someone to the amusement of others whether you want to or not.

I left that place for good because my own reputation was dragged through the mud by someone who wanted to keep up a pissing contest in the "Call Out" section *after* I had made a post deciding that things had gotten out of hand too much and I wanted to walk away from some pretty ugly OT arguments that had nothing to do with Galactica. But because this person wanted to keep things up in the Roman circus of the "Call Out" section I was told that to avoid being branded as "Shamed" I would have to (1) be forced to waste hours of my life responding to allegations over and over again and (2) I had no choice in the matter as to whether or not I wanted to participate in that farce.

In effect the moderator of this place decided that he, not I, was in control of what I wanted to do with my life, and that I had no right to simply walk away from something I wanted to put behind me and move on. I considered that outrageous then, and I still regard it as the most outrageous thing I have ever seen on the part of any moderator of a forum I have ever seen in my life.

Be forewarned that if you do end up at that place (which I refuse to ever visit again) you will be checking one important freedom of yours at the door, and IMO it's one that isn't worth losing.

I apologize for having brought this up again, but this is something I felt I could not stay silent about. I do not want to reopen the exact circumstances of why I left that place, but I think the presence of the "Call Out" section is a legitimate reason for not thinking too highly of that place.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I started this thread because I couldn't access the site, not as a pissing match on Sandy or CA. The place does have merit. TwoBrain wrote an apology post which should have been locked, instead it was used to attack the guy.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #10
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Whoa Whoa.... I asked a question... I don't want a pissing match....

I just asked a question. It has been answered, please for the integirty of CF...no more posts which might offend.......
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Eric....

Eric -

Speaking strictly as a moderator here - I would refrain from using Fleets as a platform to air your disagreements with another site. I have been a member of CA as long as I have been a member of Fleets - there are a great many of members here at CF that post at CA and a lot of them do enjoy posting there. CA does have a lot of merit and it has a great "Preserving the Past" section that has very well written articles on Sci Fi TV series and films. The BBboard does have some interesting a lively topics on a regular basis and some might find it challenging.

It's true that CA is a "rough and tumble" site and free speech is encouraged - the waters can get kind of rough and it is not a site for those that are sensitive of heart.

Ernie is correct though - what you stated has little to do with the topic at hand and is more of a personal issue. Eric asked specific questions and has had them answered for the most part. If you have some gripe with the CA website, you can either take it up with the staff at CA, talk about it privately (outside of Fleets), or drop the subject.

Ernie - You show good judgement in your posting and if you need a recommendation to join CA, I will let Sandy know. I think that you need 2 reccomendations though - if you have someone else to sponsor you besides myself, then you stand an excellent chance.

Best regards to all,
Bryan
________
Volcano vaporizer
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #12
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Ernie... two things real quick: (a) I'll be happy to support you for CA membership, and (b) regarding the Call Out section... ANYBODY can refuse to take part in a Call Out if they wish. It means that they'll get a tongue-in-cheek little Avatar that says "Shamed" next to their hande for a couple of weeks... then it goes away. It's all in good fun.

Now... back you your regularly scheduled BSG discussion.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I would like to make a few small points clear.

I wish to apologize to sandy for what was perceived as my public "attack" on him after an apology. It was never my intent. I misinterpreted the thread as a desire to clear up and discuss the problems that occurred from a thread in CA over in FEB. I honestly thought we were just going to have a discussion about it. But obviously my post didn't come out well.

Regarding Free Speech, Colonial Fleets IS just as much a free speech site. You can have any view you want. An you can express that view. We believe in that.

The main difference is that we don't tolerating people bashing each other. Not that Cylon ia about that. Cylon is about active and lively discussion. And it is very energetic and provides a geat deal to the online community.

But Battlestar Galactica never had that klingon love of who is strong. Galactica valued the underdog. It saw nobility in the ones who LOST the war, not the victors. It respected the ragtag people just struggling to survive a single day when the universe was against them...they were the ones worth saving and not Baltar and the all powerful Cylon Empire. And in that tradition, CF honors highly the meek, the kind, the gentle ones of good heart. We believe in the importance of them. And we believe in protecting them and providing a friendly peaceful environment that they can call home.

That makes CF what it is.

I hope no one finds anything in my post that is meant as anything less then respect. Nothing less was intended. But I am going to close this thread and have the last word.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."

Closed Thread