Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

View Poll Results: Which title sounds better?
Journey's End 5 35.71%
End of the Exodus 1 7.14%
The Final Flight 3 21.43%
Journey's Fate 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #31
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I've looked at the arc as the two Raiders approach the Enterprise, and I think its only a small point that will change when you introduce another 6 Raiders.

Another thing I'd like to point out is the underside to the front section of the Galactica (and possibly Pegasus) is not something that is there in the Original Series. In the original series the underside of the front section is roughly flat.

Do we presume that this is an upgrade the Battlestar has undergone over time ? Quite reasonable to believe that, which is probably why the model maker included it.....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #32
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Update Time

Sounds like a plusiable reason. The Pegasus is more likely to have the upgrades, so why wouldn't Commander Cain share that with the Galactica.

Update time! Four (actually 3) pictures of update!

That cartoonish shot of the Battlestar Galactica is gone...replaced by this shot!

Appearently the U.S.S. Enterprise is more of a threat then first thought.

Their sheilds are down! Let the attack begin!

Not a still from the film, but my attempt at getting the turbo engines from the Colonial Viper right. I need feedback on this one.

And that covers it for now. I'm going to stop these nightly updates sadly , but, in their place, I'm just going to update as updates become avalible. So, expect more updates...well...as they become avalible!

EDIT: Just wondering here, did anyone try to go to my website? It's at the end of my trailer. Please, feel free to have a look.
Digger_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #33
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Great to see more images.....

I was pleased when you said you would increase the number of Raiders attacking the Enterprise to 8....although I still wasn't sure it was enough. However, seeing your update picture has convinced me that 8 is the right number. It'll be interesting to see how the Enterprise, a ship designed for engaging other ships of similar size, will fare against 8 small targets.

No problemo about not continueing the pattern of nightly updates. I for one, both as a member here and webmaster for the fanfilms website, and grateful beyond words that you are spending your time making an animation that is generating vibrant discussion and excitment on this forum. I'll look forwards to any updates, regardless of date/time of arrival !!!!!!!
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #34
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Cool New Galactica Shot

Wow! That is gorgeous! Really top notch! The Galactica is back in her full glory. Excellent.

The shot of more Raiders looks MUCH better too.

As for the turbos, didn't they have more of a cone shape? I seem to recall that they were narrow and went wide in almost a perfect cone shape. I also seem to recall that ithe blast was almost as long as the viper itself.

I will miss the updates. Tonight I made sure to go online just to see what was new. I can totally understand why you are cutting back. Looking forward to more in the future!

Keep up the wonderful work!
~KA
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #35
JSC1
Warrior

I'd love to try to come and be a warrior in your fanfilm, but there are things I'd need to know.

One, where are you located? If I knew that I'd see what I could do about trying to make it there. No guarantees though.

Two, how long would you need me there to film. I will admit I have a job that I have to get to and money to make in order to keep my own life on track.

Summer might be the best time, but I am also loath to schedule anything that far in advance. I may also have some information coming in about a theater project around the beginning of April, so that's something I'm waiting for right now.

SO I guess everything revolves around when, where and for how long. Then I'd see if I could make it.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #36
JSC1
Warrior

Unfortunately the smoke at the end of the Viper engines reminds me of a plane that's going down. Not the turbo thrust of a Viper. I could believe this shot if a Viper was damaged, but not if it was going at turbos.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #37
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Hey JSC1, I live in the San Francisco area and my husband will film me for this. We will have our green screen in operation for it. Are you planning a trip out west anytime? If so, we can film you too. Maybe we can knock it out in a day. I guess that depends on how much we will be invloved.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #38
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Text update. Not much of one, but it's worth mentioning. I have in render right now a scene in which the U.S.S. Enterprise opens fire on the Cylon Raiders. It's a worthy update to me because it's the first time I've managed to get Phaser Fire from the Enterprise. It's quite a challenge to get "Wrath of Khan" style phaser fire from the hypervoxels. Anyways, unlike Battlestar Galactica laser fire, I hope that this phaser fire is going to be good enough to do only in Lightwave. Considering I don't have that "dramatic" lighting anymore, I don't have to worry about the phaser fire changing colors on me .

I'll have a picture posted soon, hopefully after the render finishs. Keep the feedback rolling in, please!

EDIT: Update with picture!

Here she is, the U.S.S. Enterprise opening fire on the incoming cylons.

Definately need some feedback here. Something's wrong with the phaser fire, but I can't identify it.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #39
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

If you were working in Maya then I would say it has to do with your particle emitter calculation. Is that how it works in LW? You might want to pop on over to some of the other modeling threads and ask those guys to take a look. They may know.

Still looks mighty pretty though!
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #40
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I don't know if this will help, but I took a look on the Internet and found a site with screencaps from throughout the movie :

http://databank.lowerdecks.com/movies/twokcaps.shtml

There is a screenshot very similar to yours. The Enterprise firing at a similar angle on page three. There is a difference in the colouration of the phaser fire, and it shows the beams of light as being straight and unbroken.

Hope this helps........
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #41
rjandron
Warrior

If you're going to use Hypervoxels to simulate phaser fire in LW, I would suggest that you use geometry rather than particles to create the beam. ST Phasers are a continuous beam.

For the Phaser, create a single point in Modeller, and then clone that point along the Z axis about, say 100 times, with an offset of 0.2 metres. Save this out as an object and bring it in to Layout and parent it to a null.

Now, in your Hypervoxels window, apply the hypervoxel settings you used for the Phasers to the object of points you just created and set your hypervoxel size to at least 0.2 metres, so that the hypervoxels blend together in a continuous stream. Use the null to rotate and aim the phasers, and you can scale the points object on the Z axis from scale 0 to scale 1.0 to show the beam "shooting out."

You may have to play with the settings to get it right. I'm guessing that the 0.2 metre spacing is going to be adequate.

As far as what's happening in your picture, I expect that either the Enterprise is moving, or the emitter you're using for the phasers has its angle changing as particles are being emitted.

My personal preference however would be to avoid using hypervoxels for phasers and use actual geometry.

Now it's our turn.

www.battlestarfanfilm.org
rjandron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #42
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Call it an experiment, because in the past, I've alwayed used a straight beam rather then hypervoxels for phaser fire. The only reason I've used it here is because there's something differant about the phaser fire in "The Wrath of Khan", like it's laser fire almost. But, after this little "Experiment in Terra", I'm going back to using geometry to simlulate the phaser fire. The Hypervoxels look like the Enterprise is firing the stuff inside lava lamps.

Thanks for the feedback, and here's yet another update.

Nightly updates are hereby re-enstated. I found myself last night trying to make the dead line for the night, and ended up making it. I'm just so used to it, so I'll just start them again. Look for an update tonight.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #43
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Looking forwards to the update then.....

This is fun !
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #44
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Oh yeah, been meaning to ask....what do you estimate the duration of the finished fanfilm will be ? Or is to too soon to tell ?
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #45
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Right now, I'm looking at 15 minutes, more or less. It's a good round number, but it is a little too soon to give a definate estimate.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #46
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Wow !!!!!!

I didn't realise it would be that long ! That's amazing ! And all developed so quickly !
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #47
JSC1
Warrior

Kamekazi Athena:

Unfortunately I live in the midwest. In Ohio, so San Francisco is not exactly a hop skip and a jump for me.

I could try to make plans for a trip to San Francisco, but my days off are on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I have to be back at work on Thursday night. So maybe I could fly out tuesday, shoot on wednesday and catch a late flight out which would get me back home thursday morning. Just have to figure out what day that would be.

Also a ride to and from the airport, and a cot for the night would probably help too. I'd also have to look at discount airfare to see what would get me out there at the cheapest, and best, price.

Let me know what you think and maybe something could be worked out.

And Digger?

One of the things I loved about the phasers in 'Wrath of Khan' was the sound they made. They sounded deadly as they shot from the Reliant and the Enterprise.

Visualy the fire looks a little crooked.
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #48
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Hey JSC1,

Let's keep in touch and I will see what I can do. We can chat when a formal timeline is set. I am sure I can help you out.

Cheers!
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #49
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Nightly Update time. I've ditched the hypervoxels approuch, mainly because it's just a little too hard to get right. I'm going back to the geometry phasers, and hoping they look right. Here it is.

I will be using the Wrath of Khan phaser sound. So, no worrys there. I had hoped to be on the Galactica shots by now, but because of the low number of raiders, I had to redo these scenes completely. So, I'm hoping to be on to the Galactica shots by next week. As it stands, I'm also hoping to edit together act one by the end of this week. So, there's the update. Keep the feedback rolling in!
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:11 AM   #50
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Great shot......
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM   #51
JSC1
Warrior

Beautiful shot digger. The phasers look good.

KamakaziAthena. How do you prefer to keep in touch? Through the message boards? Personal messaging? Cell phone?
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM   #52
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

And once again, here's my update of the night. Did some more work on the scene of the Enterprise taking fire, and a new scene, as shown here.

The scorching mark left by a trail of fire from a Cylon Raider. Still some work to be done on this shot.

The U.S.S. Enterprise scores the first hit with this phaser shot. One raider down, seven to go! Problem is, from here on out, they're going to be quite hard to hit.

And that's the update for tonight! Stay tuned for more updates tomorrow night. Like I said, I'm hoping to have act one cut together by the end of the week. So...Comments? Questions? Random Jokes? Donated Cubits?
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM   #53
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Another great couple of shots. If its Kirk, I suspect he won't fire first. Am I right in suspecting since you show a picture of the Enterprise taking a hit before your picture of a Raider being destroyed - that you've taken this into account ?

I also think its great that people are talking about filming scenes, and even flying places to film for Journey's Fate. It might seem disappointing at first that more people don't post on the thread, and the poll has only had 11 participants....but this should not be misunderstood a sign of little support. I think this is a magnificent addition to the fandom and KA and JSC1 prove how we feel. Keep up the good work !!!
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #54
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Announcement

I agree with the fan participation. It's definately beyond what I expected. I guess I never knew how nice and friendly the Battlestar Galactica fan base is. I'm used to working in the Star Wars fan base...not as friendly

About the above shot. The U.S.S. Enterprise was indeed fired on first by the Basestar, and missed. There for, when the raiders started to approuch...well...Captain Kirk must have declared the basestar and it's fighters hostile. Can't say I blame him.

One more announcement...All things pending, I'll be releasing...ready for this?...a second trailer by this weekend. More of a trailer v2. I don't want to give everything away. Really more of an update on the shots seen in the orignal trailer. And, after the release of that trailer, I'm going to make the title final. As of right now, the title is still "Journey's Fate". As of Friday, presuming no more votes tip the balence beam up there, the title will perminately be "Journey's Fate". In addition to all this, there is one more opinion I need. This is going to be a "Battlestar Galactica" show, reguardless of the crossovers I'm doing. The opinion I need is that I'm going to re-do the opening title sequence from Battlestar Galactica. Do you think I should stick carefully to the original opening? Or, should I shoot for something new? Something like the Fifth or Six season opening would have been. (I like to think Battlestar Galactica was cheated 6 seasons). I will be re-doing the exterior space shots reguardless, but I would like to know everyone's opinion before I start that.

That's all for now. Keep the great feedback rolling in.

EDIT: Holy Frack! 3 pages!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM   #55
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Which intro is a tricky one.

I think we the fans are heading into the future here.....making our own future.....so perhaps it is fitting to make an intro which is new, but within the 'family' of what we're used to as a BSG intro. I think you should develop something that is an evolution of the original.

Looking forwards to, all being well, trailer v2 this weekend......
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #56
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

These shots are awesome!

I think gently moving forward with the titles is good. Like keeping the same font but updating the structure and design a bit.

JSC1 and others interested in being filmed that can make it to SF, feel free to PM me. I check my mail almost daily.

I am pretty excited about this!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM   #57
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Update Time!

Once again, thank you everyone for the feedback. And now, it's time for more pictures! Tonight, I'll be doing a "Before and After" segment. I'll shot the before picture, then the after picture.

BEFORE: Just imagine the hulls being grey. I fixed this later. Take note, two Cylon raiders departing a Hades Class Basestar.

AFTER: The new swarm. Note the eight raiders departing, in that formation they usually seemed to take up when they where landing.

BEFORE: The first raider opens fire on the engineering hull of the U.S.S. Enterprise

AFTER: A squad of three opens fire on the same spot. I lost a little bit of the dynamic in the first shot, but I like the action of this one better.

And there you have it, some improvments over the older shots. I'm still very hopeful on having a new trailer ready by Saturday at the least. Questions? Comments? Random Jokes? I'll still take Donated Cubits! Gotta gamble with something on the Rising Star

EDIT: My first cut of Act One is finished, done, and almost final. I have some visual effects to finish for the first act. The First Act, FYI, is mainly the U.S.S. Enterprise being attacked by Cylons. As of this weekend, I should been able to get into Act Two, with the Galactica shots. It also includes the parts with the Colonial Viper Pilots. I'll have a script ready soon to send out, so be sure to drop me a private message if you're interrested. I know that KamikazeAthena and JSC1 are interrested, anyone else? Also, be sure to look for my updated trailer this weekend!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM   #58
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Great to see the before and after pictures.....

My only comment on the first of the basestar, would be I prefered the closer up view we got on the first picture. Aside from that everything is great, and really great to see it coloured grey !!!

Can't wait for the weekend update. This stunning fan production is moving at an amazing pace. How many hours a day are you spending on it ? 25 ? I think your dedication to this is fantastic.....
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM   #59
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Maybe 27 hours if you include lunch

Nah, I spend a few minutes here, and few there, and leave overnight renders going. I'm accually going a little slower then I would on a Star Wars/Stargate/Star Trek crossover fan film (Don't even ask to see it, It's too big to upload, and it's just flat out wierd )

Moving on to the update part. Tonight, all things pending of course, I should have the first pictures from Act Two of this film up to show. Act Two, being mostly Galactica. So, stay tuned.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM   #60
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Okay, I'm a little late with the update tonight, but with good reason. I'm going to release the second version of my trailer tonight. It's going through a final render right now. There is some, although severely limited new stuff in there. I'm not going to list the updates here, but I will say that I've improved most of the shots everyone mentioned to me. Also, I've corrected the text coloring which went dark at the end of the first trailer, now it's all that amber style color. I'm a sucker for that color.

I'm also uploading over the old one, so the old one will not be avalible after I finish uploading this one. Trust me, it's for the better.

I look forward to your feedback. Please review and critique it here in this thread if you download it.

EDIT: UPDATE! UPDATE! Here it is. The new version of the trailer for "Journey's Fate". By the way, the final name of the film is "Journey's Fate".

"Battlestar Galactica : Journey's Fate" Trailer 2.0

Again, please, feel free to download and review. Please, I do beg you to review in this thread, so I can get a sence of direction when correcting these shots.

It's late over here, so I'll just and sign off. I look forward to the feedback!