Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #31
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I was switching channels and caught that scene, too - I thought it well done.

Certainly better than the Kirk/David hug at the end of WOK.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #32
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Gaelen: Great thought! It shows another area where the plot of the mini may be deeper than people give it credit. Again it shows how if you don't put the mini down out of hand there is a lot to ponder.

Whenever people get cancer they blame something even though the genetic and environmental reality of life is that 33% of all people will die of cancer.

For all we know Zak died like many other novice and even experienced pilots in training. For whatever reason Zak chose to be a pilot and died. At a minimum he passed whatever initial training and education requirements the colonies had to enter flight school. Should Kara Thrace have failed him at school we don't know. We do know she feels guilty about it and at least told Lee Adama she blames herself. We also know that Lee Adama prior to his knowledge of what Kara said found it perfectly fine in his mind to blame his father for Zak's death. Whether anyone is really responsible for Zaks death we don't know. Obviously a board of inquiry did not find Kara Thrace responsible. Guilt is not a rational thing sometimes.

My own wife says she would never forgive me if my son joined the military and died in a war and gets upset when I talk positively of my military experience in front of my children. In a military family with a strong military tradition I could see a lot of unspoken pressure on a son to perform that could lead to tragedy. Many would find blame or guilt where it need not be.

The whole idea and its many ramifications is another interesting idea Moore explores in the mini and hopefully the series. I think Commander Adama and Apollo made their peace on the subject and Kara'a expression of sorrow to Lee will be enough for her to receive his unspoken forgiveness. I doubt they will revisit the issue in the series, nor do they now need to.
There's not only pressure for the sons to join the military in a military family
but on the daughters as well. In my family if you didn't join ...........you were
in the same class as a draft dodger ..................... My sister resisted that
pressure While I joined before they could ever put the pressure on me.

She didn't join and was treated like scum by everyone in the family but me.
So yes the pressure for a person in the military family is HUGE .......... and you are
right in the fact that they may find guilt in areas where none actually
exists.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #33
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
There's not only pressure for the sons to join the military in a military family
but on the daughters as well. In my family if you didn't join ...........you were
in the same class as a draft dodger ..................... My sister resisted that
pressure While I joined before they could ever put the pressure on me.

She didn't join and was treated like scum by everyone in the family but me.
So yes the pressure for a person in the military family is HUGE .......... and you are
right in the fact that they may find guilt in areas where none actually
exists.
I imagine that since you did not treat her that way it must have been hard for you to see her put through that. I'ts very sad, hurts my heart to hear that kind of thing. Everybody has something to offer our world it doesn't always have to be the same as everyone else. I'm glad to hear she had such a nice sister
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #34
Aeneas
Warrior

Starbuck DID harbor guilt about letting Zac take his place on the Cimtar patrol. ONE scene says it all: the "locker room"

STARBUCK: Zac pulled that patrol for me.

Athena: [reasurring] He wanted to go.
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #35
Westy
Warrior

Default Adama and Starbuck in some kind of conspracy???

Quote:
Obviously a board of inquiry did not find Kara Thrace responsible. Guilt is not a rational thing sometimes.
How is that obvious?

One of 2 things must have happened, there was either a cover up and Starbuck lied, or Apollo is brain dead and Starbuck lied.

Apollo brain dead: If a board of inquiry was formed, and there was no cover up, then somehow the deceased's own brother (Apollo) never bothered to keep track of the inquiry into his own brothers death....unlikely. Starbuck failed to tell him the truth (we all know that) and Adama for whatever reason allowed Starbuck to keep her secret(s). I really doubt Apollo would not have found out the results of the inquiry. If this scenario is right, then he's dumb as a brick.

Cover up scenario: If there was a board of inquiry, and they didn't find Starbuck liable or to blame, then her eventually admitting to Apollo that she *was* to blame implies that there was a cover up of some kind in this matter. Since Adama knew the truth, he was in on it as well. If this is correct, then Adama covered up Starbucks involvement or at least lied about it.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #36
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy
How is that obvious?

One of 2 things must have happened, there was either a cover up and Starbuck lied, or Apollo is brain dead and Starbuck lied.

Apollo brain dead: If a board of inquiry was formed, and there was no cover up, then somehow the deceased's own brother (Apollo) never bothered to keep track of the inquiry into his own brothers death....unlikely. Starbuck failed to tell him the truth (we all know that) and Adama for whatever reason allowed Starbuck to keep her secret(s). I really doubt Apollo would not have found out the results of the inquiry. If this scenario is right, then he's dumb as a brick.

Cover up scenario: If there was a board of inquiry, and they didn't find Starbuck liable or to blame, then her eventually admitting to Apollo that she *was* to blame implies that there was a cover up of some kind in this matter. Since Adama knew the truth, he was in on it as well. If this is correct, then Adama covered up Starbucks involvement or at least lied about it.
Excellent point Westy. Because in the mini .......no such Inquiry board took place...
so it was only 'assumed' by fans that it did.
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #37
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
I imagine that since you did not treat her that way it must have been hard for you to see her put through that. I'ts very sad, hurts my heart to hear that kind of thing. Everybody has something to offer our world it doesn't always have to be the same as everyone else. I'm glad to hear she had such a nice sister

Thanks Gaelen she's doing much better now!
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #38
Antelope

Quote:
How is that obvious?

Actually there are many possible scenarios that involve neither idea of the above scenarios:

Zak may have died as a result of pilot error that may or may not have killed another pilot. Lee blames Adama for letting Zak become a pilot even though neither his entrance into the fleet and the crash are related issues except in the mind of Lee.

Same scenario as above. At an earlier time Kara passed Zak when he should have failed. The crash again may be unrelated to the earlier event with Kara but in her mind she feels guilty.

Zak may have died as a result of a mechanical malfunction that a better or seasoned pilot may have overcame. In either scenario it may have killed any inexperienced pilot facing the same issue.

The real reason for Zak's crash may be unknown but as usual in life, everyone must find something in their minds to blame. His aircraft may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Both seem to believe Zak should have never been a pilot and blame someone for that issue. Ultimately however Zak wanted to be a pilot for some reason and managed to get through the system until his unfortunate accident. As a former military officer I know that I saw people who should never be made officers and the majority of people who were around them knew it, however the system sometimes fails to weed out these individuals because those in charge of the system are under various pressure. A perfect example is that the government will close down an ROTC detachment if they graduate too few new officers. The Professor of Military Science is under pressure to keep that detachment open while he is in command. A person who does not meet the standard but refuses to give up can sometimes make it through to graduation in these circumstances. They become a danger to themselves and the men they lead but it is a reality of life. Zak in the mini may be such an individual. He may not have been mentally or physically gifted but had the drive and determination to put himself in a situation beyond his abilities.
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #39
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

If the situation was 'beyond' his 'abilities' then he should not have been there.
THe fact that Starbuck passed him when he wasn't qualified and actually failed
should have been made public from the get go instead of starbuck allowing the
strain to be put on Adama's and his son's relationship. Instead she 'let it slide'
and only bought it up much later when the damage was done.
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #40
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
If the situation was 'beyond' his 'abilities' then he should not have been there.
THe fact that Starbuck passed him when he wasn't qualified and actually failed
should have been made public from the get go instead of starbuck allowing the
strain to be put on Adama's and his son's relationship. Instead she 'let it slide'
and only bought it up much later when the damage was done.
Here is a thought. What if Starbuck is attempting to deflect Apollo’s anger away from his dad and on to her in an attempt to get father and son back together? In other words what if she is lying to Apollo about what she did. After all as she puts it it’s the end of the world either of them could die any minute in combat, its obvious she really cares about the commander and this situation between father and son because she’s always bringing it up with Apollo. Maybe it's more important to her that if Apollo dies out there that Commander Adama isn’t left in pain over never having reconciled with his son.

(posted farther down this thread)
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #41
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Here is a thought. What if Starbuck is attempting to deflect Apollo’s anger away from his dad and on to her in an attempt to get father and son back together? In other words what if she is lying to Apollo about what she did. After all as she puts it it’s the end of the world either of them could die any minute in combat, its obvious she really cares about the commander and this situation between father and son because she’s always bringing it up with Apollo. Maybe it's more important to her that if Apollo dies out there that Commander Adama isn’t left in pain over never having reconciled with his son.

(posted farther down this thread)
That's always possible I suppose ...............
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #42
Antelope

I'm with you Gaelen!

I think that's the main point. We see the issues of anger and guilt but we really don't know the real story at this time or maybe ever. If we don't dismiss the story out of hand there is a lot of depth to be explored in a series. It is entirely possible as you say that in a noble act Kara takes the blame upon herself for an accident solely to heal the wounds of father and son.
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM   #43
CrysWimmer

Quote:
In TOS the Cylons killed him. To say that Starbuck killed him for trading places is like saying that his parents killed him by giving birth to him.

In the mini on the other hand, Starbuck did kill him, indirectly anyways. She didn't intend to, but by breaking rules which would have prevented it, she kill him.
The piece that everyone misses is that you can't be objective when you love someone. How many times do we let our kids do things and hope for the best (buy them that scooter they want) and then deal with the inevitable results (trip to the ER to put that arm in a cast). Telling some you love that they can't have what they want more than anything (and if you've ever known a pilot, there's something WEIRD about them... they MUST be in the air... it's scary) is a position that Kara never should have been in. What the hell were they doing to have her in the position to pass OR fail her fiance. Talk about a mess.

I actually sympathize with Kara - I don't think she had a clue what would happen when she fudged that one little pass. As for admitting it, given the treatment that Lee gave William, would YOU tell him you did it? Especially when you're already mired in guilt from it? Not likely.

I think she did the best she could with a sad situation.

That's my story... I'm sticking to it
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM   #44
CrysWimmer

Oops - kinda posted it twice... not intentional. It didnt say it posted the first time...

I think Kara did the best she could with what she had. She gave the man she loved what he wanted more than anything, and then when she realized that it was her last chance, she told Lee what he needed to know to forgive his father.

I still think she's one of the good guys... just not sure what she has against Tigh. Granted, his apology was a little forced, but the reception was... well... she could have been more... diplomatic <g>.

Last edited by CrysWimmer; March 1st, 2004 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: double-post
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:28 PM   #45
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysWimmer
The piece that everyone misses is that you can't be objective when you love someone. How many times do we let our kids do things and hope for the best (buy them that scooter they want) and then deal with the inevitable results (trip to the ER to put that arm in a cast). Telling some you love that they can't have what they want more than anything (and if you've ever known a pilot, there's something WEIRD about them... they MUST be in the air... it's scary) is a position that Kara never should have been in. What the hell were they doing to have her in the position to pass OR fail her fiance. Talk about a mess.

I actually sympathize with Kara - I don't think she had a clue what would happen when she fudged that one little pass. As for admitting it, given the treatment that Lee gave William, would YOU tell him you did it? Especially when you're already mired in guilt from it? Not likely.

I disagree with you on that one. I am a parent and am often in the position
of telling my children that they can't have everything they want.

If Kara was in charge of failing or passing someone in flight ...............
then that was her job ............and she had no business passing
someone if they had infact FAILED flight training.

Infact I've been in the position where my superior officers wanted me
to pass a boy through a course that I was responsible for teaching when
he in fact FAILED with FLYING COLORS. I risked court martial but that is
one order that I refused to obey. And I thank GOD ..........for the sake
of the people who would have put their lives in that BOYS hands ........
that I refused to pass him.

I took responsibility for my actions .........I did the right thing .........while
risking my very Military RANK and Career not to mention MY FREEDOM
while doing it. In the end ..........I retained everything ..........the BOY
was FAILED .............and lives were saved because I REFUSED to
comprimise my principles.

IF IN FACT what Kara Thrace said was true and she passed ZAC when
in fact she should have FAILED him ..........should have been put
before a military INQUIRY and should have answered for her actions
in a MILITARY COURT.

I answered for my actions ............. and I have NO REGRETS.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:19 AM   #46
CrysWimmer

Quote:

Infact I've been in the position where my superior officers wanted me
to pass a boy through a course that I was responsible for teaching when
he in fact FAILED with FLYING COLORS. I risked court martial but that is
one order that I refused to obey. And I thank GOD ..........for the sake
of the people who would have put their lives in that BOYS hands ........
that I refused to pass him.

IF IN FACT what Kara Thrace said was true and she passed ZAC when
in fact she should have FAILED him ..........should have been put
before a military INQUIRY and should have answered for her actions
in a MILITARY COURT.

I answered for my actions ............. and I have NO REGRETS.
To begin with, I do understand what you're saying - and as a teacher, I agree with you ethically 100%. What I'm saying was unfair about the situation was that she was placed in that postition when she was ENGAGED to Zak. That compromised the ethics right there - and the objectivity. Could I fail my own son when mine was the one class he needed before he could move on? Could I fail my husband? I honestly hope I never have to answer that... and it's unlikely, because I wouldn't put myself in the postion of teaching them in the first place. THAT was the mistake - no, what she did wasn't right - I'm just saying that I understand it.

As for military procedure - she would have been courtmartialed for hitting Tigh regardless of his pressing charges - the MILITARY would have pressed charges, because there were witnesses. So we can't really look at military courts in this series, because they are already showing us that things work a little differently there.

So... one last time... I did not say that what Kara did was right, nor that she should be allowed to deny responsibility.... I said 1) she should never have been in the situation in the first place and 2) I can understand where her emotional involvement clouded her judgement.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM   #47
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
To begin with, I do understand what you're saying - and as a teacher, I agree with you ethically 100%. What I'm saying was unfair about the situation was that she was placed in that postition when she was ENGAGED to Zak. That compromised the ethics right there - and the objectivity. Could I fail my own son when mine was the one class he needed before he could move on? Could I fail my husband? I honestly hope I never have to answer that... and it's unlikely, because I wouldn't put myself in the postion of teaching them in the first place. THAT was the mistake - no, what she did wasn't right - I'm just saying that I understand it.

As for military procedure - she would have been courtmartialed for hitting Tigh regardless of his pressing charges - the MILITARY would have pressed charges, because there were witnesses. So we can't really look at military courts in this series, because they are already showing us that things work a little differently there.

So... one last time... I did not say that what Kara did was right, nor that she should be allowed to deny responsibility.... I said 1) she should never have been in the situation in the first place and 2) I can understand where her emotional involvement clouded her judgement.
Yes in the real world .............Kara would have been court martialed for
hitting Tigh. Boomer and Tyrol would have been given an article 15 for
having an affair or at the very least a written reprimend. As would
anyone else engaging in that behavior. Also anyone who was disrespectful
to a superior officer as they were in the leaked script ........would have
been put up for military discipline as well.

In the real world that type of behavior in the military simply is NOT
allowed. That also includes alcoholism, drug abuse etc...............

So I do see your point.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM   #48
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
The piece that everyone misses is that you can't be objective when you love someone.

I have to admit I know I'm an idiot when I'm in love with a guy, no brains whatsoever, I don't think straight! I could very well have found myself in Kara's situation, a desire to please and a belief that all he needed was a little more practice and I could help him with that a little later and he'd be fine, it would be ok, I mean what are the odds that anything could go wrong between him passing the test and a few more lessons afterwards . Then the accident the loss, the overwhelming guilt, the recriminations, the fear of losing the only family I've ever know If I tell them what I did. Frankly I could see myself in a mess like that, trying to hard to be helpful, or please not just zac but his dad as well how would you like to have that on your shoulders . The person ultimately responsble for your life, dedicated his whole life to his military carreer, only thing he believes is that his sons are nothing without the wings and this chick is going to deny him this, take this away form his son, family ,would there not be a high expectation on Kara to pass him? food for thought...(I need a thinking face here)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM   #49
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I have to admit I know I'm an idiot when I'm in love with a guy, no brains whatsoever, I don't think straight! I could very well have found myself in Kara's situation, a desire to please and a belief that all he needed was a little more practice and I could help him with that a little later and he'd be fine, it would be ok, I mean what are the odds that anything could go wrong between him passing the test and a few more lessons afterwards . Then the accident the loss, the overwhelming guilt, the recriminations, the fear of losing the only family I've ever know If I tell them what I did. Frankly I could see myself in a mess like that, trying to hard to be helpful, or please not just zac but his dad as well how would you like to have that on your shoulders . The person ultimately responsble for your life, dedicated his whole life to his military carreer, only thing he believes is that his sons are nothing without the wings and this chick is going to deny him this, take this away form his son, family ,would there not be a high expectation on Kara to pass him? food for thought...(I need a thinking face here)
I think one of the reasons I love my husband is because he knows that I'm no
pushover. I never was and never will be. He knew from the get go ......that
I was my own person and I wasn't afraid to stand up for him or stand up TO
him as the case arose. Yet the big lug married me anyway
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #50
CrysWimmer

Quote:
I could very well have found myself in Kara's situation, a desire to please and a belief that all he needed was a little more practice and I could help him with that a little later and he'd be fine, it would be ok, I mean what are the odds that anything could go wrong between him passing the test and a few more lessons afterwards
I think that's the bottom line right there... she didn't plan for him to die. She passed him, but I'd say she probably planned to work with him a little on the side... that way she could save the paperwork, his embarrassment, and explainations to the family and still teach him to fly. I don't think she did it with the intention of him hurting himself. I mean, if that were the intent, they'd call it an "on purpose" instead of an "accident". No one was meant to die... that's why she took it so hard. At least, that's my viewpoint. The series may prove me quite wrong... but I certainly hope they address it. That's the one series hole that made me nuts... there was no closure at all between Lee and Kara, and that's a discussion that MUST take place - somehow.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM   #51
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I think that's the bottom line right there... she didn't plan for him to die. She passed him, but I'd say she probably planned to work with him a little on the side... that way she could save the paperwork, his embarrassment, and explainations to the family and still teach him to fly. I don't think she did it with the intention of him hurting himself. I mean, if that were the intent, they'd call it an "on purpose" instead of an "accident". No one was meant to die... that's why she took it so hard. At least, that's my viewpoint. The series may prove me quite wrong... but I certainly hope they address it. That's the one series hole that made me nuts... there was no closure at all between Lee and Kara, and that's a discussion that MUST take place - somehow.
There was an old saying I learned to live by .............

"The road to HELL is PAVED with GOOD INTENTIONS"

She might have not "MEANT" for him to die ........but if what she said
was true ..........SHE was the one who was responsible for him dieing
out there and She is the one who needed to answer for it infront
of a military inquiry.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #52
CrysWimmer

Quote:
She might have not "MEANT" for him to die ........but if what she said
was true ..........SHE was the one who was responsible for him dieing
out there and She is the one who needed to answer for it infront
of a military inquiry.
And that would solve.... what? Make her feel that much worse? Take away the Galactica's top pilot? Make Lee and William feel that much worse? It was an accident... how can treating it like a deliberate crime have any positive repercussions? She's not a serial killer that's likely to strike again. She made a bad decision, and trust me... she's paid. She lost her fiance! She's accepted responsibility, and trust me... the military can't be any harder on her than Lee will be. Forgiving that guy is not! I just don't see what good it would do... there is no justice for a dead man. It won't bring him back. Also - even if he'd marginally passed, or not passed and been on Caprica - Zak would be dead now anyway. That doesn't make it right, but I still don't see how a trial would make anything better.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:23 PM   #53
Antelope

As a former military man I can say that from time to time you become aware that some people let others pass that shouldn't. I don't approve of it and wouldn't expect anyone to do it for me but it is reality. I don't think anyone that ever cut somebody some slack ever thinks it will result in their or someone elses death. In the Army I know that some people majically pass the weight test or physical fitness test. Most people involved in such activity rationalize that they are keeping a "good" soldier in the military. 90% of the time they are probably right. I can only imagine the guilt one would carry however if a knowing non-earned pass ultimately resulted in someone's death. It might just make one into an angry self destructive person...just like the mini Kara Thrace.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM   #54
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
I think one of the reasons I love my husband is because he knows that I'm no
pushover. I never was and never will be. He knew from the get go ......that
I was my own person and I wasn't afraid to stand up for him or stand up TO
him as the case arose. Yet the big lug married me anyway
shiningstar it really depends on the situation I find myself in. I know when I'm in love my brain is a fuzzy with thoughts of him. But with regards to being a pushover I have risked my personal safety/life in defence of others more times than I have fingers and toes.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM   #55
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
And that would solve.... what? Make her feel that much worse? Take away the Galactica's top pilot? Make Lee and William feel that much worse? It was an accident... how can treating it like a deliberate crime have any positive repercussions? She's not a serial killer that's likely to strike again. She made a bad decision, and trust me... she's paid. She lost her fiance! She's accepted responsibility, and trust me... the military can't be any harder on her than Lee will be. Forgiving that guy is not! I just don't see what good it would do... there is no justice for a dead man. It won't bring him back. Also - even if he'd marginally passed, or not passed and been on Caprica - Zak would be dead now anyway. That doesn't make it right, but I still don't see how a trial would make anything better.
In the REAL WORLD ............that would be considered a deliberate crime.
Especially in the MILITARY. You're right a military inquiry would not bring
Zac back ..........But if KARA THRACE had thought out her actions before
this happened then .........there wouldn't be a NEED for an inquiry in the
first place ............while she may have well lost Zac's love ...........I think
in the long run ...........he would have redoubled his efforts to PASS the
training ........and have become a better pilot for it........or at the very
least ..........he would still have been alive .........
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM   #56
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
As a former military man I can say that from time to time you become aware that some people let others pass that shouldn't. I don't approve of it and wouldn't expect anyone to do it for me but it is reality. I don't think anyone that ever cut somebody some slack ever thinks it will result in their or someone elses death. In the Army I know that some people majically pass the weight test or physical fitness test. Most people involved in such activity rationalize that they are keeping a "good" soldier in the military. 90% of the time they are probably right. I can only imagine the guilt one would carry however if a knowing non-earned pass ultimately resulted in someone's death. It might just make one into an angry self destructive person...just like the mini Kara Thrace.
I'm noticing this same kind of thing in my nursing program. there are students who are passing clinical who the students know should never be passed. Frankly it terrifies me that in a year that they will be making these mistakes without anyone there to step in in time to fix it. Hopefully they will improve sufficciently in the interem.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #57
Rowan
On Vacation...

In school when we question why a certain student was allowed to pass when we don't think they should have we are told there is a certain amount of subjectivity to the judgement. Possibly Kara in hindsight is second guessing herself. what if, Maybe I shouldn't have passed him, maybe he wasn't as good as I thought he was , maybe he wasn't ready after all he did have this accident, maybe if I had been tougher on him and failed him he would have lived, it's all my fault...
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:36 PM   #58
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I'm noticing this same kind of thing in my nursing program. there are students who are passing clinical who the students know should never be passed. Frankly it terrifies me that in a year that they will be making these mistakes without anyone there to step in in time to fix it. Hopefully they will improve sufficciently in the interem.
I believe you ......... We had a doctor here ...........a year back. I couldn't
place my finger on it ..........but I simply did not trust her ability to do the job.
When My doctor asked me to transfer to her .......I refused. A few months
later .......a lot of women were having problems with 'exams' ..........and a
woman bled to death on 'her watch' just after giving birth to her son.

After a very THOUROUGH investigation it was discovered that she
had problems in OTHER hospitals where she practiced medicine ...........
and even put on REVIEW ..........that REVIEW never made it to MY hospital
or MY TOWN ............if it had .........I know a little baby boy and a wonderful
man who would still have their MOTHER and WIFE alive.

The People who PASSED this woman is now being SUED by her former
patients and the Family of the woman who didn't MAKE it.

THere are also inquiries to what happened to pass her through when
she wasn't qualified to do the job. ............ I can assure you that
when the inquiries are OVER ........the people who passed her WILL
answer for their actions as well they SHOULD.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:40 PM   #59
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
In school when we question why a certain student was allowed to pass when we don't think they should have we are told there is a certain amount of subjectivity to the judgement. Possibly Kara in hindsight is second guessing herself. what if, Maybe I shouldn't have passed him, maybe he wasn't as good as I thought he was , maybe he wasn't ready after all he did have this accident, maybe if I had been tougher on him and failed him he would have lived, it's all my fault...
According to the 'script' that's not what she said.
And going on the basis of what she actually said in the mini
she should answer for her remarks in a military inquiry.