Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 8th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Default What the heck makes this One-season ABC cancellation so memorable, anyway?

It must have sucked, right? The ratings didn't justify a second season of this expensive mess, correct?

Man, back in the day I was totally DEVASTATED by the news of its cancellation.
And then, of course, I *HAD* to watch G1980....
And then Empire did a frozen planet thing, just like Galactica did.....

The sheer creativity & dedication poured into the project was phenomenal for a TV project, IMO!

The Galactica itself was an amazing & original design for a space-aircraft carrier, and the Vipers were a total step up from X-Wings, again, IMO.

The actors were excellent & passionate (especially Richard Hatch, obviously).

The music by Stu Phillips was grand & engaging.

What a bad call by ABC. One or two seasons more would have made them an extra 80 to 100 million in the long run.

What made this series so special to YOU?
Apolloisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: What the heck makes this One-season ABC cancellation so memorable, anyway?

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...43&postcount=6

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: What the heck makes this One-season ABC cancellation so memorable, anyway?

If I may indulge in a shameless plug:

Tombs of Kobol Battlestar Galactica Section

Over at TOK, we have an extensive tribute/report on Battlestar Galactica, which includes (among a lot of other stuff) an article written a couple of years after ABC's mysterious decision to end the show - which pretty much proved our running theory that while BG was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough to suit the suits.

I was a little older than most of you when Battlestar Galactica aired. For me, it was the tale of hope from hopelessness, the rich backdrop to the story, the detail of the backstory, the idea that we are not alone in the universe.

And having Maren Jensen there didn't hurt.

Or Laurette Spang..........

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

If Battlestar Galactica had stuck to the original plan.... creating seasonal telemovies (a feature tv film every three or four months) as opposed to caving to ABC's demand to produce a full on TV series, Galactica might have lasted a helluva lot longer.

As such, during the series, production problems, last minute scripts, and other factors contributed to the show's downfall.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

Cost killed it.
Scope killed it

cast made it great
effect (for the time) made it memorable
it ultimately was about people and not effect

it was based around an exodus idea that every culture around the world at one time went through.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

What sucks is that the very fact that it was as good as it was is kind of what killed it! To make something that good takes a real commitment. The dedication was there in every aspect except with those funding the show. They would rather do something stupid and cheap than something great that might take a bit more money.

The existence of Galactica 1980 proves two things.

A. They realized very quick that they had screwed up in canceling Galactica.
B. They should have stayed the hell out of it...because when they did it their way it was lame.

Sometimes I think big ideas scare the studios. It seems like they'll be afraid to set the bar too high. This continues even today. It is why "Firefly" was canceled after half a season and we'll probably have to endure the existence of "Jersey Shore" for twenty years.

I don't even know where to begin saying what made the series so special to me. It captured my imagination, gave me some fun mythical heroes, gave my whole family something we could enjoy together, and it has been the common thread that has introduced me to many great friends over the years.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
More Galactica goodness there! Thanks!
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
If Battlestar Galactica had stuck to the original plan.... creating seasonal telemovies (a feature tv film every three or four months) as opposed to caving to ABC's demand to produce a full on TV series, Galactica might have lasted a helluva lot longer.
If only...
Funny, in the first half of the series, the one-shot eps seemed like filler between the two-parters. Then after Sheba came on, they started to get their weekly footing IMO.
Except for Hector & Vector...
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

One thing I thought was kind of neat was the Eastern Alliance star cruiser...it looks like a fore-runner to the Firefox (from the Clint Eastwood movie).
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
One thing I thought was kind of neat was the Eastern Alliance star cruiser...it looks like a fore-runner to the Firefox (from the Clint Eastwood movie).
Y'know, I can totally see that.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #11
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
If I may indulge in a shameless plug:

Tombs of Kobol Battlestar Galactica Section

Over at TOK, we have an extensive tribute/report on Battlestar Galactica, which includes (among a lot of other stuff) an article written a couple of years after ABC's mysterious decision to end the show - which pretty much proved our running theory that while BG was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough to suit the suits.

I was a little older than most of you when Battlestar Galactica aired. For me, it was the tale of hope from hopelessness, the rich backdrop to the story, the detail of the backstory, the idea that we are not alone in the universe.

And having Maren Jensen there didn't hurt.

Or Laurette Spang..........

I am
Dawg
Psst: you left off Anne and Jayne and a host of guest pretty gals.

Dirk and Richard were easy on us gals' eyes.

I had a really good answer in the older thread, but the short version: The story visually had me at the first viper launch, the storyline having that connection to earth I though made it better than Star Wars. The focus on always having hope, the characters' faith in something/someone beyond what they could see and the functional family and even extended-by-friendship family that Adama fostered crystalized it as a forever favorite for me.

That there is so much more story that could be told only makes it better.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Cost killed it.
Scope killed it
No, actually, greed killed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
What sucks is that the very fact that it was as good as it was is kind of what killed it! To make something that good takes a real commitment. The dedication was there in every aspect except with those funding the show. They would rather do something stupid and cheap than something great that might take a bit more money.

The existence of Galactica 1980 proves two things.

A. They realized very quick that they had screwed up in canceling Galactica.
B. They should have stayed the hell out of it...because when they did it their way it was lame.

Sometimes I think big ideas scare the studios. It seems like they'll be afraid to set the bar too high. This continues even today. It is why "Firefly" was canceled after half a season and we'll probably have to endure the existence of "Jersey Shore" for twenty years.

I don't even know where to begin saying what made the series so special to me. It captured my imagination, gave me some fun mythical heroes, gave my whole family something we could enjoy together, and it has been the common thread that has introduced me to many great friends over the years.
The very elements that made BG have the impact it did and the effect it had was what killed it, because of short-sighted executives who wouldn't know a creative idea if it came up and bit them on the ...

Fox killed Firefly for the same reason ABC killed BG twenty years earlier - the profit margin wasn't what they wanted. They paid lip service to supporting the show while doing everything they could to insure it was a single-season expense.

Which makes no sense to me from the standpoint that they did X-Files for so long, they know there is a market for sci-fi... I guess space-based sci-fi doesn't have the profit margin to suit them.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:

The very elements that made BG have the impact it did and the effect it had was what killed it, because of short-sighted executives who wouldn't know a creative idea if it came up and bit them on the ...

Fox killed Firefly for the same reason ABC killed BG twenty years earlier - the profit margin wasn't what they wanted. They paid lip service to supporting the show while doing everything they could to insure it was a single-season expense.

Which makes no sense to me from the standpoint that they did X-Files for so long, they know there is a market for sci-fi... I guess space-based sci-fi doesn't have the profit margin to suit them.

I am
Dawg
Ironic, considering how much you'd figure they'd want to cash in on the big screen success of the Star Wars movies. You'd think they'd want the same for their small screen projects.
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Often times the pencil pushers and bean counters of this world dont have any clue about the product they are selling, and have no "big picture" thinking capability. Its not just the entertainment industry.
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:

My favourite NEW show. Gorramit!
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
Often times the pencil pushers and bean counters of this world dont have any clue about the product they are selling, and have no "big picture" thinking capability. Its not just the entertainment industry.
Very, very true.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote