Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old September 9th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #31
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Here's mine...

I have been involved in the BSG online revival since 1998. I wanted a username over at Skiffy and when trying to come up with one, I chose the little known character of Charybdis, from the episode Murder on the Rising Star. (I know that some think that it should be spelled Karibdis since that's how Apollo tries to spell it, but since BSG is replete with historical references to gods, etc. the Charybdis in Homer's Odyssy is spelled with the 'CH'). Since I began roleplaying in our Battlestar Callisto group, I created a character with that name who is actually the original Charybdis' nephew! Ortega was blackmailing him, he had to get rid of him!

I use the "holy frack" signature because that was one of my favorite "cuss" lines from the series! And I use it as my email address as well.

I don't have an avatar but am wanting one!!! hint, hint

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #32
Shatter
Bad Email Address

This is a great thread, 14th! I've enjoyed reading about everyone!

Handle: I've been a longtime fan of science fiction and comic books. As some of you might have guessed, my handle comes from the title (and main character) of the comic book series produced by First Comics in 1984. Shatter was created by Mike Saenz and Peter Gillis, and has the distinction of being the first comic book that was entirely produced on a computer. All of the art was generated on a Macintosh with 128K of memory. The storyline and setting was reminiscent of Blade Runner. By today's standards, the art in the books looks somewhat rough. But at the time, it was revolutionary.

Avatar: Heh. Well, I haven't been able to snag an image from the aforementioned comic book that suits me. For some reason, I had the image I'm using in my "My Pictures" folder at work, and I liked it.

Signature: My current signature comes from one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. It's a bizarre, quirky movie that perfectly fits my offbeat sense of humor. John Lithgow's performance as Dr. Emilio Lizardo is one of my comedic favorites.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #33
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Buckaroo is a favorite of mine...how come they never made the sequel???
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #34
Shatter
Bad Email Address

From what I have understood, Banzai didn't do all that well at the box office. I've heard several factors blamed, including that the film was not sufficiently promoted, and that the movie was too off beat to perform well in the mainstream market. Whatever the reason, it apparently didn't do well enough for studio execs to be willing to invest in a sequel.

Interestingly, Ernest Cline, a would-be screenwriter, wrote a screenplay for Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League, which you can download here. There was also talk in 1998 and 1999 of Fox developing a Banzai series entitled Buckaroo Banzai: Ancient Secrets and New Mysteries, but development seems to have halted. You can find a lot of info on the proposed series (and a lot more) at the Buckaroo Banzai FAQ. The official Buckaroo Banzai site, The Banzai Institute,is well worth visiting too.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #35
originalsinner

Default things that make you go humm

My Handle; From the Epispode "'The Long Patrol" Inhabitants get lock up just for being the kin of a Original Sinner, and thats like the way, The Sciwhy channel, Bonnie Hammer and Ron Moore, is treating us. the original fan and pushing us- aside, doing some mini behind our backs. Where in lock down, so I, like you are, a original sinner, in a cell that never shuts, WE must lead a spirited revolt to get our show back, the way it should be fellow Warriors
Avator, humm, my webtv dos'nt have the power Capt,
Signature, I think i said all in the handle!

*there seems to be a few Warriors from my part of the Blue Planet
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #36
jjrakman

My Signature:

Generally changes with the current events of the BSG production, but I'll settle on something more personal when the smoke clears.

My Avatar:

These also change depending on the wonderful source material that the Hammer/Eick/Moore Hydra give us in their updates and statements. But I'll also settle on something more personal with this too when the smoke clears.

My Handle:

It's actually the name of my psuedonym which I apply to all of my artwork and writing. I always thought that if I ever did get any kind of noteriety, even locally, I'd want to seperate my public and private lives. My psuedonym is Jaeson K. Jrakman. It's my real first name, but the last name is something I came up when I was in Middle High School. As a kid, I was a big fan of the old 30's and 40's black and white horror movies. Plus I'm sort of a Goth. Jrakman is actually a combination of my two favorites; Dracula (Drac), and the Wolfman (man), with the D changed to a J, and the C changed to a K. Jrakman.
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #37
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Wow, this was cool to read.

Handle: My name is Julie, my real life friends and my spouse call me Jewels and insist it must be spelled like that. I had no clue what to use for a handle when I came here last year (my one year anniversary as a poster here is next week). Long & short--I used my nickname.

Avatar: the planet & nebulae one is on hiatus for a bit: I made it from 2 NASA photos in photoshop. My current one (yea, that's Jane Seymour, a year or two prior to BSG) was given to me by Thomas. It disconcerts me still. I'm more comfy with my planet.

Handle: My original one was from the Lord of the Rings. It was in a poem about Aragorn, heir to the throne of Gondor. Somehow for me it described the "gold" that TPTB were missing in BSG and it also describes the "gold" we may not see in the people around us. The entire poem is: "All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost. The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a flame shall be woken. A light from the shadows will spring. Renewed will be the blade that was broken. The crownless again will be king."

My current signature is an Annie Dillard quote: she set up that statement with a story about learning to split wood for a wood stove. Every time she aimed for the wood she wanted to chop, she only knocked it off the block. Once she learned to aim for the chopping block, she was able to split the wood. She paralleled that to achieving goals in life, sort of saying you have to aim for your goal and through the tasks to achieve it to actually reach your goal. Annie writes about the process of writing and crafting your words as well as fiction.

I would like a continuation of BSG to happen--I don't see the path or the tasks to make it happen, but my mind can see the goal. Because I can see the gold that lies beneath 25 years of dust, tarnish and wandering.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #38
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

oh heck...go back to your planet! LOL

but keep Jane if you ever plan to mod CA again. Jane is frightenly effective.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #39
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

I loved your planet Jewels, I said so before, but that pic of young Jane is mesmerizingly lovely. She was always beautiful, but that is the sweetest looking pic I've ever seen of her.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #40
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
Protecting the Peace from the Nouveau
Thomas, I hope I don't come across as ignorant, but what is the Nouveau?

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #41
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Jane...

Have got to agree with you 14th. When I saw that pic of the sweet Jane Seymour, I instantly thought (and pretty much still do) that she has got to be one of the most beautiful women on the planet!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #42
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Heh heh, I have felt that way since seeing her in Live and Let Die. Of course, I was much younger when I first saw that, but my feelings about her have never changed.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #43
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
oh heck...go back to your planet! LOL

but keep Jane if you ever plan to mod CA again. Jane is frightenly effective.
Hey! you know "I'll be back." For the news section. The effectiveness of Jane is amazing.... it's been an interesting....experiment.

*Gives to Jane avatar creator aka Thomas*

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #44
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
14- The nouveau referes to the new scifi mini and its creators. Which is kinda apropo since the scifi channel is still to this date owned by a french consortium. That phrase is also used in a dark anime I really like called Noir. -7
I gotcha now. Thanks!

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 14th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #45
Stray Viper
Warrior

Greetings everyone, fellow BG fans. This is my first official post here at CF, and it is the culmination of lots of time, anxiety, and hard work by Thomas. Tom -- thank you so much!

My name - Stray Viper. It just sounded cool, and I have always loved the Viper fighter. Even the continuists had to admire it -- the new Viper is strikingly similar to the original.

My avatar - I assume I have to post a few more times before I get an avatar. I don't seem to have that option right now. But when I get one I want a pic of Apollo, because it matches my sig which is a quote from him.
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #46
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hey!!!!!

WELCOME!!!!!

I'm hoping everything is working well right?

Man... it was hard tracking down the errant computer that was killing the signal between our server and Stray's ISP. Thanks for helping with that trace!

btw- I'll give you that avatar, just as a way of saying thank you for being so patient and helpiing us remove that problem. You cleared the path so other people on your isp can see us too!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #47
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Woo hoo! Stray Viper has finally gotten on the right path and found us! Welcome, my friend. Now you can finally see for yourself how great this place is, like I've been telling you for months!
Have one on me, dude!
Or if you prefer!

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #48
Stray Viper
Warrior

Tovor, I'll take the milk. Chocolate. Make it soy.

Thomas: thanks for the avatar! It's perfect, even from the episode where the quote came from!

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #49
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Soy it is then. I like your avatar (good choice, Tom!). Apollo looks pretty startled there.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old September 14th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #50
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome from one stray daggit to one Stray Viper!!!
You'll love it here!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #51
amberstar
Strike Leader

Hi Stray Viper! Glad you made it to CF, I hope you enjoy it here!

Amberstar:sunshi:
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #52
LucianG
Warrior

Great thread everyone!

My username is from one of my two favorite AD&D characters from my college & grad school days. Lucian had a long and interesting history, and was quite fun to play. Since Lucian had more of my personality (my favorite character was loosely based on BG's Starbuck, complete with description, "looks a lot like Dirk Benedict"), I choose Lucian and the first character of his last name (sometimes with a number) as my on-line user name.

My avatar is a knight, since a knight's duty was to accept challenges and to protect the innocent or downtrodden. In this case, Battlestar Galactica and science fiction are definitely being stomped upon by the SciFi Channel. My signature reflects the knight avatar and our valiant but possibly quixotic fight against SciFi and the mini-series.

P.S. Welcome, Stray_Viper

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #53
Lusitan

My turn now.

Handle : The lusitans where a tribe of celtic origin that ocupied the north-western part of the iberic peninsula (northern Portugal and the spanish province of Galiza). They resisted the Roman invasion for almost 200 years before being defeated. Most portuguese consider them our ancestors.

Avatar : That is the Portuguese coat of arms.

- The five blue shields represents the five moor kings defeated by the first King
of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, at the Battle of Ourique (1139).
- The dots inside the blue shields represent the five wounds of Christ when
crucified.
- Counting the dots and doubling those five in the center, there are thirty dots
that represents the coins Judas received for having betrayed Christ.
- The seven castles represents the fortified cities D. Afonso Henriques conquered
from the moors.
- The globe represents the world discovered by the Portuguese navigators in the
fifteen and sixteenth centuries.

Signature : I first used it as a tribute to all those involved in any space program, after the last shuttle accident. I compare what they're doing with what my ancestors did when they took those litle boats and decided to explore the oceans, establishing the sea route to india, the first voyage around the world, etc.

Last edited by Lusitan; January 8th, 2005 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: Avatar changed.
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #54
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default OK. Here Goes.

Back in Highschool, every so often I'd write a story where one of the characters was named Cobrastrikelead. It was established early that he was a fan of BG. He often wore a black t-shirt. The other characters usually got most of the lines, so he didn't have a whole lot to say. One of the rules of the stories were that if Cobrastrikelad played a trick on another character, unless it was to save the day, the trick would almost always backfire. It was only a question of how much and to what extent. My teachers tended to roll their eyes skywards whenever I handed in an assignment. And invocations like; not again, here we go again, and why me, were often quoted.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #55
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default It's also quite possible,

that the ten sensible handles I had picked out were all taken in some form or another, and I chose Cobrastrikelead as a last resort.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #56
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default What's in a name?

Hello, all,

Very interesting backstories for your SN's, Avatars, and Siggies. This place already feels familiar to me because of so many familiar names from other boards.

Well, like nightscape2112, RUSH is one of my alltime favorite bands. I picked martok because he is one of my two favorite Klingons (the other being General Chang,...my moniker on Skiffy and Cylon.org) The reason that I picked 2112 as a suffix to my screenname is because martok (on its own) had already been taken at Yahoo.com. So I thought of a number that remained indelible in my mind...that of one of RUSH's greatest albums 2112.

The signature I chose on this site is due to a sudden surge of approval from people who come to see my band's shows in Charleston, WV. We recently picked up GoldenEarring's "Twilight Zone" as a coversong, and it goes over like Gangbusters! Granted, it is an old song, but it is a rocker, and people's jaws literally drop to the floor when we play it. I finally prevailed upon my band to play this song. The last couple of bands I was in wanted to do "Twilight Zone", except for the drummer. He felt that the only GE song we should do would be "Radar Love". My response to him was: "Every band around here, and their best Garage band friends has played Radar Love to death. I have never heard a band around here do Twilight Zone." My perserverence paid off, and now we have people rockin on the floors and in their seats when we play it.

My signature on the Cylon.org is from a line of dialogue in the pilot/movie of BSGTOS. "Forgive me, Mr. President, but the Cylons hate us with every fiber of their existence."

I also have a cool email signature from my martok2112@yahoo.com.

"You know you're a Harry Potter fan if, when approaching the automated doors at a supermarket, you flourish your hand and incant 'allohamora'."

Still waiting to do an avatar here. My avatar on Cylon.org is simply a wide shot of a Cylon Centurian.

Respectfully,
martok2112
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #57
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Ah! You're General Chang? Nicest person on Skiffy!!! So glad to see you here!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #58
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Thanks, Muffit.

I am happy to see you here too. You definitely have the pulse of the fans with your poetic license. I think "Beauty, Warmth, and Familiarity" at Skiffy is one of the most profound posts I've read in a long time...and any TOS fan would find much to identify with in that post. I will always remember the heart of that post.

Thank you for the kind words, my friend. (scratches Muffit behind the ear.)

Respectfully,
martok2112 aka General Chang
Old September 28th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #59
winterrose
Galactica's Space Angel

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
BG & LotR Forum

Default Hi

my father always called me winterrose,because i was born in the winter december the 24th and I had rosie red cheeks so the fore the name winterrose.My sig is because I always missplace where i park my car and if I was a warrior I be asking the same.My avatar was a rose for winterrose,but know its Athena my favorite character on the show.

Have you seen my viper I forgot where I park it !

Parking tickets i laugh at them..Hahahaha

Come join Battlestar Orion or Battlestar Galactica Club II a new forum all is welcome New and old Battlestar Galactica fans....
winterrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #60
amberstar
Strike Leader

Martok aka general chang-
Its good to finally see you here at Fleets. Hope you will stay around, I like keeping in touch with you.

Your friend
Amberstar