Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #1
Westy
Warrior

Default My next project - The Cylon Basestar studio model in CGI

I think I have enough quality references to do an accurate Basestar finally. On the one hand, it'll be easier, as from all the measurements I've done on it, it appears to be highly symmetrical, but it's also highly detailed with more visible and large section/surfaces, definitely of an order of magnitude complexity which is on par with the Galactica. I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking about 10 megapolys, probably more...I'll know more when I start getting into it. My Galactica model is at 8 megapolys, and it's like maybe 3/4's of the way to hyperaccuracy.
The first pic is my starting point. I forget where I got this basestar model, it was like 15 years ago? It's very rudimentary, just basically big blocks and little blocks...an occasional spherical object etc. Anyways, I'm going to start here see what happens...I'm sure it'll take years before it looks as good and detailed as my baby does, but it'll be fun I'm sure. The second pic we all know and love, and that's what I want to produce eventually.
First I have to by hand recreate the basic hull in AutoCAD, as that's the program I'm best at for pure modeling. I'll post pics as I go.

I think I have enough quality references to do an accurate Basestar. On the one hand, it'll be easier, as from all the measurements I've done on it, it appears to be highly symmetrical, but it's also highly detailed with more visible and large section/surfaces, definitely of an order of magnitude which is on par with the Galactica. I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking about 10 megapolys, probably more...I'll know more when I start getting into it. My Galactica model is at 8 megapolys, and it's like maybe half way to hyperaccuracy.
The first pic is my starting point. I forget where I got this basestar model, it was like 15 years ago? It's very rudimentary, just basically big blocks and little blocks...an occasional spherical object etc. Anyways, I'm going to start here see what happens...I'm sure it'll take years before it looks as good and detailed as my baby does, but it'll be fun I'm sure. The second pic we all know and love, and that's what I want to produce eventually.
Here goes nothing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustStartingOut.jpg (81.8 KB, 8 views)
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Westy
Warrior

Default Re: My next project - The Cylon Basestar studio model in CGI

forgot the pic I want to make my model look like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 275px-BasestarTOS.jpg (7.9 KB, 9 views)
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

That should be a fairly quick build compared to your excellent Galactica. I have no doubt the baseship will look every bit as awesome.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Westy
Warrior

yeah...but the complexity is way up there. It's radially symmetrical in both a pentagram, and top/bottom, and near symmetrical for each of those halves. So that's like 20 sections, with probably 250,000 polys each or there abouts...Then the launch entrances/exits have all those walls and the the arch/brige thing all with tons of details on all surfaces. I'm shooting for accuracy, so I won't be guessing for details much...It's going to be a big job I think...but you're right, it's not ridiculous like the Galactica is. Plus I've learned a lot since I started the galactica...
We'll see....if I ever decide to do the death star, just kill me please....

Oh yeah, there's a few familiar nurnies I can take from my battlestar, not many, but a few...that'll help a little bit.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #5
Westy
Warrior

day 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day1.jpg (670.4 KB, 9 views)
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

You're off to a great start, and you're taking an approach that never even crossed my mind before. I might have to try that.

As for the Death Star...well, I think in all honesty that that would be an even simpler model to build, unless you are thinking about somehow applying every single terrain feature to it....IOW, when you get up to bombing range on the DS, you can see the city sprawls, turbolasers, shield generators, Darth Vader's bath tub, etc.

I'm actually considering doing a Death Star build for my video adaptation project (excerpts, not the entire thing) of the Star Wars Radio Play that came out in 1980, penned by the late, great Brian Daley.
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Westy
Warrior

I was just kidding about the Death Star, but if I did do one, I wouldn't be satisfied unless it was accurate to an extreme level of detail...and I don't think the computer to render something like that has been built yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.01.jpg (766.3 KB, 7 views)
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Your basestar is definitely shaping up.

I would love to be able to build a Death Star model that looked as good as it did in Rogue One. (To me, the BEST Star Wars movie ever made. )
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Westy
Warrior

It's so much easier starting this than the Galactica was. I didn't know much about modeling back then...except really basic stuff, like platonic solids, and that was about it. All the mistakes I made learning on that thing I can avoid this time.
You liked Rogue 1 eh? I thought it was ok...a bit formulaic but fun. The effects were top notch, that's for sure.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Liked Rogue One? I freaking loved it.

The thing I loved about Rogue One was that it was, on no uncertain terms, a war movie. It played out and felt like a good WW II movie in a lot of areas, and maintained just enough humor to still remind you that it was a fun Star Wars movie as well. K2S0 stole the show. I also liked how there were a lot of firsts in this SW film:

Most prominently:
1. Covering three stages of a character's life, in this case, Jyn Erso at ages 7, 10, and 25.
2. Interrupting someone saying: "I have a bad feeling about this."
3. Showing the Rebellion as not quite the squeaky clean white hats we've generally known them to be in the OT movies.

There were other little touches I liked, such as putting tactical lights on the stormtroopers' E-11 blaster rifles.

Yes, the visual effects were par excellence. It was nice how they also integrated some original Episode IV footage of some of the veteran X-wing pilots (Red and Gold Leaders) into the final space battle.

And the acting was far and away better than anything George Lucas got out of his actors in either the Orignal or Prequel trilogies. (Acting in Episode VII was even better than the PT or OTs.)

While I thought it was great that Rogue One went all "TRON Legacy" with Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia, the only thing I didn't really like about Tarkin was that he always had this hawkish scowl on his face by default. In Episode IV, his expression was much more neutral. But, such is the nature of mapping a face onto another model. I end up with that in iClone as well.

Yes, the basestar is extremely simple to build, well, at the level of detail I use....and I may take another go at it very soon....right now, I'm focused on internal set building. I don't always have the patience to get uber-detailed on capital ships.
Old September 11th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #11
Westy
Warrior

I liked Rogue One a lot. It was infinitely better than Episode 7, that's for sure.

Ok, I think I nailed all the proportions correctly for this new model. It took 2 days to get it right. All that's left in that department is a little tweak here and there.

I plan on this being at least as accurate as my Galactica is, or as you call it, uber accurate, or as others call it, hyper accurate. I've found that, like the Galactica, it too is not symmetrical. It's not as bad as Galactica is...symmetry speaking, but it's definitely not symmetrical :-( It's mostly the nurnies though...placed in different places and what not. That'll take back seat until I get one full 5th section 100%.
Here's a progress pic: 289 kilopolys btw (these are going to add up quick!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.04.jpg (468.2 KB, 6 views)
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

That is looking very good there, Westy. The general shape and placement of the larger details looks great. It's gonna be those tiny nurnies, greebles, and implements of hull pimpleage that will be the time consumer, I'm sure.

I wish I had your patience.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Westy
Warrior

It's not patience, it's boredom that makes me do it. If I don't have a new show to watch, or I'm not in the mood for Family Guy, I get bored, and pick a new nurnie to do. Then I'm not bored anymore. A day or so later, I have a new toy to add to the pile....It adds up man lol
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
It's not patience, it's boredom that makes me do it. If I don't have a new show to watch, or I'm not in the mood for Family Guy, I get bored, and pick a new nurnie to do. Then I'm not bored anymore. A day or so later, I have a new toy to add to the pile....It adds up man lol
Oh, I can agree with that.
Build a nurnie/greeble, and not only apply it to your model, but store it away as a potential piece to add to other models later.

I've sometimes made nurnie projects just to hold a bunch of them to apply to future builds.

Did you get to check out "The Orville" yet? I enjoyed the pilot ep. It certainly looks better than what we've seen of Star Trek Discovery.
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #15
Westy
Warrior

I don't know about either one of them. I'll try Orville, because it looks like it might be funny...a la Galaxy Quest. As far as the new Trek goes, I'm Trekked out. I'll refrain from ranting here, I'm sure you've heard it all before. All I'll say is they need to go back to the roots and stay there, because what the Trek universe turned into is my definition of hell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.07b.jpg (508.1 KB, 8 views)
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Personally, I love all the Treks from TOS up through the Abrams' films.
Trek, I've always said, has something for everyone..... action, drama, comedy, contemplative stories.

TOS didn't bash you over the head with a lot of social justice crap. TNG started off just wayyyy too politically correct, and then it kinda wised up.

DS9 was my kinda Trek. Back to a sort of frontier, wild-west kinda Trek...with lots of epic space battles to boot.

VOY kinda straddled that political correctness pony again, but it had some good stories.

ENT had some interesting tales and takes on certain aspects of the Trek mythos.... and it has probably my favorite two-part episode of any Trek series which dealt with the Mirror universe.

And the Abrams movies were honestly the Trek movies I'd probably waited my entire life for. And Beyond was probably my favorite of the three.

Again, for me, it all boils down to that fandom crap. Lots of fans (not all fans) have ruined everything I love, (Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) so I had to just dismiss fandom for the religious zealotry it had become, and become an Afan. (Like an Atheist, except that I don't believe in fandom anymore.) I'll like what I like, and no one's judgment will make a damn to me.

I will say this about The Orville.... it is turning out so far about like what I expected it to be, a sci-fi comedy drama. Seth McFarlane's humor works a lot better in animation than it does in live action. That's not to say that The Orville isn't funny....it certainly does have its "laugh out loud" moments, but what I like is that it also adds just enough drama to make it a contender for light hearted science fiction.

The visual effects are definitely "Galaxy Quest" ish..... it makes me think of somewhere between the visuals of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and the first couple seasons of Star Trek TNG....except slightly better.

Even the title for the pilot episode lets you know that this is going to be a sci-fi dramedy. "Old Wounds".

I am definitely looking forward to the next episode.

The big thing I'm not looking forward to about ST: D is that it looks and sounds too much like social-justice propaganda...especially behind the scenes.

I just want Star Trek....or, for lack of that, I'll take The Orville.
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Westy
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
TOS didn't bash you over the head with a lot of social justice crap. TNG started off just wayyyy too politically correct, and then it kinda wised up.
Exactly! Ok:

TNG: Love some of the stories
Voyager: I actually liked a lot, as it was just them out in the worldiness...no Star Fleet to save 'em, etc., plus some of the comedy was great (Capt. Proton was my favorite lol).
DS9: Boring! It was like watching the news of current events...for me, I watch scifi and fantasy to get away from the real world, not transplant our world into theirs.
Enterprise: Loved most of it...couldn't get enough actually.
Abrams: Much better! They should have gone further with meeting TOS imo, but I'll take it.
I'm so sick and tired of having political crap shoved down my throat. I want SCIFI! Not political commentary. When people say that Star Trek is our future, I just want to puke. No thank you, I'll take a BSG style world over Star Trek anyday, or better yet, Firefly. I'm conservative in that respect, I want freedom, not enforced social justice and fairness. Just leave me alone, I'll leave you alone, etc.
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Westy
Warrior

forgot a progress pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.12b.jpg (520.7 KB, 6 views)
Old September 17th, 2017, 03:49 AM   #19
Westy
Warrior

I'm watching Orville haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.14b.jpg (537.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg V1.14e.jpg (698.5 KB, 8 views)
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

The baseship is really shaping up there, Westy. I look forward to more developments.

And I agree with you on a great many of your points. I'm pretty conservative as well.
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #21
Westy
Warrior

Ok, I actually liked Orville. It's rough getting a new show off the ground, but I think they did ok there. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it. I'm hoping they do some good stories and actual scifi and it's not all just a comedy show, but we'll see. If you close your eyes, that's really Brian in the Captains chair. I'm watching episode 2 now.
What did you think of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.15a.jpg (653.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg V1.15b.jpg (568.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg V1.15c.jpg (1.13 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg V1.15d.jpg (1.02 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg V1.15e.jpg (736.9 KB, 8 views)
Old September 19th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #22
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Good Lord, that baseship just keeps getting better and better looking.

Yeah, my roomie and I are loving the hell out of The Orville. Shaping up to be a really good sci-fi comedy drama.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #23
Westy
Warrior

Thanks, I'm trying to do at least one nurnie a night. There's a few hundred of 'em, so...it'll be a while til it's done.
And yeah I think it's going to be a good show too...a friend of mine thinks it's dull, but I don't see it that way at all.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #24
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

I think some people who hear the name Seth MacFarlane immediately expect raunchy, irreverent humor and cheap laughs out of his shows, ala Family Guy and American Dad.

But see, that kind of humor works best in his animated fare. When it comes to his live action stuff, he likes to mix drama in with the comedy.

Witness "A Million Ways to Die in the West". I was expecting it to be a laugh out loud, raunchy film in the vein of Family Guy. But it turned out to be a Western comedy drama, and it was enjoyable.

So, when The Orville was announced, I pretty much expected the same thing, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. I think this show is going to be more Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery will be.
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:06 AM   #25
Westy
Warrior

That would be something and so far so good imo.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:16 AM   #26
Westy
Warrior

I'm liking how this area's coming out a lot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V1.18f.jpg (753.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1845.jpg (169.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Westy; September 23rd, 2017 at 03:28 AM.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:28 AM   #27
Westy
Warrior

first is mine, second is what i'm modeling it from
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:03 PM   #28
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Very accurately done!
Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:21 PM   #29
Westy
Warrior

that's what I'm aiming for :-) After this baby is done, I'm gonna learn about animating...I want to make my ships fight.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #30
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

I've found iClone (currently, Iclone 6 PRO, although 7 is now out) to be my choice when it comes to animating the ships. Then I use Hit Film 4 Pro to do the laser effects and such.

Here's an example using older model builds in iClone 6 and Hit Film 4