Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old November 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #31
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Stargate universe

I've managed to distance this show from the other recent Skiffy show and do like a fair chunk of it. I'm tiring of the "stones" and especially tiring of the 'triangle'. Without getting into a long diatribe about what I'd like and not like, suffice it to say that I'd like this show to get its "sea-legs" and succeed because there's not a whole lot of sci-fi on tv.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #32
spiderr987
Shuttle Pilot

Suit yourself. SGU is more water-down soap opera, brought to you by Bonnie Lifetime Hammer. I refuse to watch or record this garbage, b/c it's only encouraging them to produce more of it. I'm not a Nielson family, but... still... SyFy isn't the only channel targeting science fiction fans... and those channels are doing it better. Until then, I'll just go to the box office.
spiderr987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #33
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Compared to Berman Drek, it flies.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM   #34
spiderr987
Shuttle Pilot

Any soap opera saturated show is worse than even Berman STAR TREK, on my opinion. In short, I'll watch bad science fiction over bad soap opera in a science fiction's clothing.
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #35
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderr987 View Post
Any soap opera saturated show is worse than even Berman STAR TREK, on my opinion. In short, I'll watch bad science fiction over bad soap opera in a science fiction's clothing.
Space soap is the term you're looking for. Its the evil twin to Space opera.

Cheers,
Lara
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #36
dah66
Warrior

I have mixed feeling about this show. I like the focus on characters, but wish that there was a better mixture of action with character development/conflict. My biggest complaint is the entire 'body swamping with folks back on Earth' thing. I wish somebody would smash those damn stones. I think the drama would be better served by having the ship stranded with no way of contacting Earth. Having them focus on their entangled personal relationships back on Earth when they should be exploring the ship is just silly. Also, when the crew has sex with their loved ones in 'swapped' bodies it comes across as creepy and cheapens the characters we are supposed to identifying with. It would be different if it was just one character doing this, but there have been at least two that I can recall and then there have been others abusing alcohol while clubbing in their swapped bodies. What if the person you swapped with was an alcoholic? Would this be fair to a person that was doing you such an extremely large favor? We never see the swappers being briefed about the bodies they are borrowing. This seems unrealistic. I mean, they should at least get a couple of safety tips or something -- 'Mike has several STD's, so don't have sex with anyone here on Earth while borrowing his body.'
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #37
spiderr987
Shuttle Pilot

It's just another way SyFy can save money and do the show on the cheap, by having a bunch of soap opera scenes in the show and hardly any f/x.... plus that way can gear the show toward the young femal demo who usually watch the new 90120 and MELROSE PLACE. Bonnie "Lifetime Channel" Hammer strikes, again!
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #38
Ramses
Bad Email Address

personally I dont like the show. Ill watch the second season. maybe like atlantis it will get better in the second season. but so far its to predictable. and avoiding everything that Made Stargate SG1 and SGA fun to watch.

Im actualy sick of Space drama.. its why I stopped watching ... the new B show. way to much over the top drama and not enough sci fi and no real enjoyment. personaly I can watch CSI or any other overly boring drama for that stuff. My prediction... Rush gets the alien ship up and running before dehydration or starvation sets in and chases down the destiny. way to easy to see that coming..
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:27 AM   #39
Aphrodite
Socialator

I might not watch the second half of the first season. I was finding myself falling asleep while watching it. Yep. I found it boring.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #40
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
I might not watch the second half of the first season. I was finding myself falling asleep while watching it. Yep. I found it boring.
Same here Aphrodite...it took a lot for me to watch the shows in the first season...I watched them off the rewind site. It took me 3 attempts just to watch the first two episodes. It was like touching my eye with the tip of my finger to watch the rest.

Not sure if I have the stanima for a second season...I will soon see...
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:34 PM   #41
KJ
Strike Leader

Kronus, is it really that bad now?

Damn, things are totally *pants* sci-fi wise huh. And i thought trying to watch repeats of Star Trek: TNG was bad (that show has dated so badly?).

The Sci-Fi "Genre" needs a major boost and pretty soon, but what would you all say SU needs to improve it so it can be watchable though, and not simply state whats wrong with it overall.

KJ
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #42
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Okay I'll start it off:

1. Bring back the humor of the show
2. Bring back the science fiction - techno-babble and aliens and such
3. Less humping and more of letting us find something in the characters we can relate too and or love or hate...not loath.
4. Did I mention more science fiction techno-babble and less humping?
5. Stop the shaking camera and focus on the scene and setting
6. Use the gate more
7. Find stuff worth investigating on other planets or run into some space faring race...good or bad I don't care at this point.
8. Stop using the stupid stones to hump others using someone else's body (does this qualify as less humping?)
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #43
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Compared to Berman Drek, it flies.
That can be said just about anything D....