which may tickle your fancy!

Old September 30th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default S: 1999 – Didn't Know Anything About This!

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...de/txmfma.html
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Space:1999 I see this as a very important piece for film for that franchise.

It's also a great example of what can be achieved with the great dedication of a few fans, and the co-operation of original cast....

As far as I can see it is their equivelent to The Second Coming....and as far as I have read on the site their Continuation efforts have also yet to progress....but we can all live in hope....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Oh yes. This in effect was the fan's way of doing closure to the series with Sandra (Ziena Merton) in costume and in a partial recreation of the Alpha set delivering her final message as the last crewman aboard Alpha with everyone else now having gone down to the surface of the planet chosen for Operation Exodus. It summarizes their experiences through stock footage from both seasons, and is her message to Earth that they never forget the Alphans. For the first time at last, Space 1999 fans get to hear Maya and Victor Bergman referred to in the same sentence (when Sandra mentions those who have been lost she also mentions in addition to Victor, Paul Morrow as well). And then the message fades out as Sandra prepares to leave and suddenly this final message from Moonbase Alpha becomes.....the signal from the mysterious Planet Meta in "Breakaway" meaning that in episode #1 they were seeing the last message from Alpha from two decades in the future!

As it fades out to Sandra's cry of "Remember us" we hear the strains of Barry Gray's superior Season 1 music and then classic Space 1999 end credits in the Season 1 tradition. I was applauding when I finished watching this.

The "Message From Moonbase Alpha" film was released on DVD but was only available as a bonus disc in the boxed sets of Space 1999 when purchased at Best Buy though you can order the disc individually from A+E Video now.

This kind of film gave the 1999 fans the kind of closure that we as Galactica fans are still waiting for. And that they could do it in just five minutes with one cast member is a tribute to their skill and ingenuity (1999 writer John Byrne wrote this as well).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

It's a shame that 1999 couldn't have been revived as well. It was truely a great show.

Old October 1st, 2005, 02:29 AM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm one of the proud owners of "Message From Moonbase Alpha" - It's a very nice capper to the series, even if it came so many years after the series ended.

I heard that it was a tearjerking moment for Space:1999 fans at the big cons in 1999 and 2000. I wish I had been "in the know" back then, or I would have gone.

A revival would've been nice at some point, but like so many other fan-supported shows, nobody can seem to agree if such a thing should happen, or if it did, would they like the results.

I just watched a couple of episodes earlier this week from the DVDs - I haven't seen them in almost a year. The show holds up very well - at least in my eyes....

Eric - I never knew that you were such a big Space:1999 fan!

Space:1999 rocks baby!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "big" fan in that I wouldn't be able to recall most of the episode titles/names like I can with Galactica, Trek TOS etc. (though I can remember when 1999 first aired on WPIX in New York in 1975 usually right after a Trek repeat) But I did get more fond of Season 1 over time and while I didn't care too much for John Kenneth Muir's book on Galactica, his Space 1999 book helped me get more up to speed on a lot of the extra details about the show.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #7
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Personally I liked Space:1999. It was excellent. I found the series on DVD as Bookmans for a few bucks each. After viewing them I thought it was WAY to cerebral for most people. They didnt just pull out the old zap gun and start shooting. That was a first for me. I was hooked. But, like Bryan said, it is a dead series. That goes to show the power and strength of BSG TOS. It could have suffered the same fate, but for the stalwart fan base it has. This is another testiment of the greatness of TOS!

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #8
gmd3d
Major

S1999 was a long time Fav of mine .. I would like to see it back on tv

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Me too, Taranis. Done by those who love and care, not parasitical hacks.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #10
Bijou88

"Messege from Moonbase Alpha" provides one thing that Battlestar Galactica fans have not had yet: closure.

Old January 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #11
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Yep, and not only closure but it gives us something we as TOS fans should recognize. Proper closure to TOS does not need we must have a new series, or even a full-length movie to achieve some level of satisfaction. If S1999 fans can basically get that done in five minutes with one cast member and a professional amount of polish in use of clips and music, the Galactica could easily do so as well, with maybe two or three cast members in costume summarzing things up prior to landing on Earth from a now empty battlestar that's no longer needed (that's just one way of doing it of course).

Old January 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Yep, and not only closure but it gives us something we as TOS fans should recognize. Proper closure to TOS does not need we must have a new series, or even a full-length movie to achieve some level of satisfaction. If S1999 fans can basically get that done in five minutes with one cast member and a professional amount of polish in use of clips and music, the Galactica could easily do so as well, with maybe two or three cast members in costume summarzing things up prior to landing on Earth from a now empty battlestar that's no longer needed (that's just one way of doing it of course).
That would be one way but, I'll tell you, I don't think that the last chapter has been written for TOS. Call it a hunch but, I do honestly think that we are going to see it done properly.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'd sure like to share your optimism Pete, but in light of all that's gone on in the last decade pertaining to would be continuation projects, I'm in that group of people that has to wait until I know the production is rolling before I find myself believing its going to happen. A mere announcement of something isn't going to do it.

Old January 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #14
Senmut
Strike Leader

BST, may your words come true!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #15
Galactifan
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble

You can still purchase the official "Space: 1999 Bonus Disc" on DVD from A&E here...
http://store.aetv.com/html/product/i...tid=&subcatid=
Galactifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #16
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactifan
You can still purchase the official "Space: 1999 Bonus Disc" on DVD from A&E here...
http://store.aetv.com/html/product/i...tid=&subcatid=
That's the ONLY way to get it too, unless you chase up a copy on Ebay. Trust me, it's worth the purchase price. MFMBA is a terrific capper to the series (or a new start depending on your point of view).

I only wish that I had seen the reaction to it at the 1999 & 2000 cons where it was first presented...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote