Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old August 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default New Cancer-fighting Treatment

Hey folks,

I saw this article over at ABC NEWS website and thought that I'd share it with you. This seems like a miracle treatment!

BST

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/L..._040817-1.html
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/L..._040817-2.html

Quote:
Zapping Cancer
Proton Beam Therapy Proves Effective in Targeting Tumors

Aug. 17, 2004 — A new kind of radiation is proving effective in the fight against cancer. Proton beam therapy, according to doctors, zeroes in on tumors with impressive results and without the devastating side effects of traditional radiation therapy.

"We can shape the beam more accurately, hitting targets with more precision," said Dr. Jerry Slater, clinical director of Loma Linda's Proton Therapy Center in Southern California.

"You don't feel any pain," said Ron Leuck, who is being treated for prostate cancer with the new therapy.

During the treatment, a rotating scaffold three stories high aims computerized ray guns directly at his tumor.

"The patient experiences less effects in any of the normal tissues that might cause side effects," said Dr. James Cox, head of the division of radiation oncology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Conventional radiation burns everything in its path, so side effects can include damage to healthy organs near the tumor.

By contrast, the new radiation therapy shoots proton particles that can be told precisely when and where to explode, releasing all their energy to destroy cancer cells.

"We can concentrate the energy, the explosion, if you will, entirely within the tumor and leave the tissues out," Cox said.

Treatment Matches Tumor’s Shape

The particles can be fired through an opening made to match exactly a tumor's irregular shape. The functionality allows doctors to precisely target tumors that are inoperable.

"We can radiate, for example, around the eye, and treat a tumor very close to the eye, and have no effect on the eye," said Cox.

Doctors can also hit a "U-shaped" tumor wrapped around the spinal nerves, leaving the nerves untouched.

For prostate cancer, where surgery can lead to incontinence or impotence, patients "can get results that are equivalent, if not better than surgery, and have better sexual function," Slater said.

"You get the most benefit for the least risk," said Leuck. "The treatment doesn't have any side effects."

Leuck has none of the fatigue associated with conventional radiation, so he can go straight from his treatment to the gym.

Proton therapy is also proving especially important for children with cancer. Since their bodies are still growing, they are at much greater risk from the extraneous radiation that protons avoid.

Proton radiation therapy is often no help, however, if the cancer has already spread. Its main use is with tumors that are still well-contained.

But that only makes early detection of tumors all the more effective — now that doctors have a precision scalpel that can remove tumors without surgery, a treatment they expect will become increasingly more available.

ABC News' Bill Blakemore filed this report for World News Tonight.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Rowan
On Vacation...

I met a lady who had taken her daughter to the that facility it is the most advanced Cancer treatment facility on this contenent. World class but costs a fortune I think 8 weeks of treatment cost her over 100 thousand dollars
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
...I think 8 weeks of treatment cost her over 100 thousand dollars

( ( ( THUD ) ) )
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #4
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

((THUD*THUD))
That wasn't an echo of BST's falling, that was me thudding too.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #5
bsg1fan1975
Major

glad that its not coming out of my pocket!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote