Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old November 21st, 2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Big Grin The Deadly Shortcut and BSG

They say time heals all wounds. It does so by distancing us from them. But this same mechanism robs us of cherished things as well, like the inexorable undertow of a mental ocean, dragging the memories we fear to lose out to sea.

I don’t know if you remember your first vacation, but I know I do. I remember because I only had one vacation during my entire youth. There was only one because my dad worked harder than any man I have ever met, and time off was something he never had. And because that one vacation went so terribly wrong my parents were too reluctant to ever try again.

Our destination was a place called Richardson’s Grove in northern California, some 12 hours away. And we pulled along one of those small funny looking round-ish trailers so popular forty-odd years ago. Things went wrong right away. My parents weren’t sure of the directions and my siblings and I complained and argued over the long journey. The car broke down and while my dad was looking under the car, I decided to look too. When I raised my head someone had opened the car door above me and I cracked my head open on its steel bottom edge. Climbing a mountain on a one lane but two way road, we met a car that would not back up, so we had to. Several of us children were in the trailer and one wheel went over the cliff as we backed up, nearly pulling us all to our death. And the worst thing, the horn got stuck in the on position for over an hour and drove us all to screaming and misery.

Finally we reached our goal and the next morning my parents took us to a small lake some walking distance away. It was a cold, beautiful, nearly brown body of water, with small rounded pebbles for a bottom that tickled your feet, and tiny water bugs that skittered here and there. On the way back, my brother decided to take a short cut, and me loving his little adventures, I had to tag along as well. My mom argued against me going strenuously, but somehow I prevailed. Children should listen to their mothers. The “shortcut” was scary and riddled with danger, just the way my brother loved it. We came to a portion of the trail which was nothing more than a tiny dirt ledge against a hillside, with a foreboding deep swamp some ten feet below. And at the worst point, the ledge had fallen away for about a foot. My brother crossed the break easily, being four years older and much taller than I. He dared me to try but I wanted to go back, it was much too scary. But you know how naivete can overwhelm common sense at that age, and I succumbed to his prodding. A moment later I was falling, stricken with terror, back first into the huge stagnantly warm pond, pin-cushioned all about with cattails. And I didn’t know how to swim. But by the wildest of chances, Lady Luck was kind, and when I struggled to my feet in the soft, deep mud, my head breached the surface – I had fallen in the shallowest part.

When we finally returned to our camp, my mom was so upset about me almost drowning she made me stay in my wet clothes in the chill fall air the entire day. And that shortcut spoiled my vacation for good.

Why do I share this with you my friends? I feel it is like the new BSG, taking a shortcut to success by using the name while changing nearly everything else by going down a different path. When the way home is clearly marked, we should follow it, and following what is familiar by taking the path taken 25 years ago is surely the surest and safest way home for millions of fans who remember that path.

Time has distanced me from that terrible day, just as time has turned my dearest days into shadows. Looking back, it’s not the fall that’s the scariest; it’s the fear of hearing I told you so all the way home.

Affectionately and respectfully,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:50 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thanks Muffit.
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Amberstar! Thanks for reading!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:04 AM   #4
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Wow Muffy! How wonderfully appropriate! Thanx for sharing a little about yourself with us!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:25 AM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Thumbs up

As always, delightful.

Thanks, Muffit!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Trevor and Dawg!
Old November 28th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #7
silverspar

Thumbs up

i agree with the end of muffits novel, they should have at least called it "BSG the alternative story" perhaps even used the new battlestar version as a "when humans retook caprica saga" (like star trek TNG and the enterprise D). but to just rewrite BSG from the beginning, and use the same characters names with different actors, and then bash the original series is just criminal
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Silverspar! Thanks for replying and welcome to Colonial Fleets!
Old November 28th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #9
silverspar

thank you Muffit,

i never knew BSG websites existed, i just happened to watch "the lowdown" on sci-fi, (i never knew a new BSG was coming) and, uh, was rather pissed at the actor/actresses attitudes toward BSG. and in particular the interviews with one of the writers who said "i didnt like that they never really explained how these human hating machines came about, so i felt i had to change it" what BSG was he watchin??? or did he ever watch the original BSG, there existence made sense to me, and i was 5 i think. so i felt i needed a BSG forum to bitch about it in, hehe. and then also the new baltar, he said "he didnt like the portrail of the original baltar, so he felt he needed to change that" like someone else said. bunch of lazy writers wanted to make a movie, so they took name recognition and cooked up there own story, so lazy they couldnt even come up with their own viper pilot names. they wanna replace the male characters with women, why not replace the back stabbin/lyin/scheming baltar character with hillary clinton.