Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

View Poll Results: Which title sounds better?
Journey's End 5 35.71%
End of the Exodus 1 7.14%
The Final Flight 3 21.43%
Journey's Fate 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 New Fan Film - Title Suggestions inside

Okay, I have four titles lined up for my upcoming fanfilm, and I need some advise on which is best. I'm ditching the other thread for 2 reasons. One is, the title is no longer relavent, and two, it was getting too long to scroll down to the newest pics. Speaking of newest pics, here's the update I promaced!

Comments? Questions? Random Jokes?
Digger_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Thumbs up

WOW...OMG...SWEEEET! Where you been? How am I just learning about this now?

With the little I know from the screen grab I went Journeys End. Where can I learn more about this project?
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Galactica Control, this is Digger One

Thank you for your kind comments sir. I've been regularly posting about my project in the thread "Size Comparison". You can find out more about my project there. Again, thanks for your comments.

Digger One, out

Old February 21st, 2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Moved to the Fan Projects forum (Shattered Worlds)

Images look pretty nice
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

BTW, I voted The Final Flight cuz, well... Journey's End was already used by me in an art piece for BG
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Capt Phlandor

Cannot wait to view your project, I would love to be able to have the time to do that kind of work. Its hard to have free time when you are an EMT.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Thanks for everyones comments. As always, I hope to have something new and fresh to show off by tomorrow night.

Seems like "Journey's End" and "The Final Flight" are tied...interresting, I thought "Journey's Fate" would be a popular title...
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:47 AM   #8
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I've voted Journey's Fate. And it seems to apply to both shows :

As well as the BSG meaning, it relates to the Enterprise which spent all its time on a Journey and the this one was nearly fateful. But it was both Journey's fates that put the Galactica and Enterprise together.

There is already a comic series from Realm Press called Journey's End....so using Fate doesn't clash. The Final Flight for some reason doesn't appeal...there have been quite a few fan works begining with Fight/Flight I think, maybe that's it.

Great pictures......
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Chk this
http://www.tecr.com/tigerclaw/
http://www.tecr.com/tigerclaw/fanfic...ces/teaser.pdf
http://www.tecr.com/tigerclaw/fanfic...ences/act1.pdf
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM   #10
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Personally, I think something with "Fate" or a like word in the title fits Galactica well. I also immediately thought of the Journey's End set of comics.

These pics are beautiful!
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:44 PM   #11
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestars Galactica, Calisto, and Pegasus, this is Digger One, broadband address.

So far, "The Final Flight" and "Journey's Fate" are tied. No one has voted for "End of the Exodus" yet, and "Journey's End" is only one vote behind the other two.

I'm putting out a call for anyone who would like to be in my film as a Viper pilot. If you have the colonial uniform, helmet (optional), and a good camrea...and maybe an accessable greenscreen...let me know. It would help me in the fact that I can add a viper squadren to the story without ripping too much footage from "Battlestar Galactica", and cutting them together. So, I'm just wondering if it's possible to do this with all the fan film makers out there.

Continuing, there should be an update by tonight, and hopefully, it will show what I plan to do with some of the interior scenes from Battlestar Galactica.

I liked that story you posted Stevew. When's the next part due out? I can't wait for it. Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

So, that about does it. Oh yeah, requesting permission to land on Battlestar Pegasus Alpha landing bay.

Digger One, over and out.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM   #12
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
I'm putting out a call for anyone who would like to be in my film as a Viper pilot. If you have the colonial uniform, helmet (optional), and a good camrea...and maybe an accessable greenscreen...let me know...So, I'm just wondering if it's possible to do this with all the fan film makers out there.
I offer help but it be probably late summer before anything happens.
Another Film Maker
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

And now, back to the first part of the film...the attack on U.S.S. Enterprise. Update time everyone!

The U.S.S. Enterprise takes massive hits from a raider.

KIRK: Sulu, divert all power to phaser banks!
SPOCK: Too late.
KIRK: HANG ON!!!!!

Captain Kirk's day just got worse

NOTE: The last picture is more of a prove of concept then an actual frame from the film. I have yet to render that scene yet, but it should look WAY better then this.

CREDITS: U.S.S. Enterprise by: Dennis Bailey
Cylon Raider by: H. Gibbens
Viewscreen from "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

Comments? Questions? Random Jokes?

Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:14 AM   #14
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

GREAT images !

You credit the viewscreen from STII - so I guess this is a screenshot you've edited ? If possible and it will look right, remake the viewscreen to minimise the amount of footage you use from an actual released production. The less that appears in a fan production, the more we can show the fanbase standing on its own two feet.

A lot of fanfilms use some footage, it's OK I guess, but I think the more shots we make ourselves as fans the better....in my view...

I really love the way this is turning out.....
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM   #15
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

And I agree with you, two hundred percent. In fact, this would be the first fan film I make with ripped footage. Usually, I stick to exterior shots and film actors on greenscreen. But, recently, I've got no one to act for me down here. So, that's why I'm ripping footage from "Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan" and "Battlestar Galactica". I needed something to drive the story forward in addition to CGI and dynamic music. Like you said, the less footage from an actual production, the better. Hence, my call to Viper pilots yesterday. I just hope this all works out. As usual, look for an update tonight!

P.S. - What are the odds of finding a "Ship of Lights" smily?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #16
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Glad to see you agreed...

One thought on use of ST:II footage is it dates your fanfilm to that specific era.

If you didn't include visual footage from ST:II then you could follow this up with a sequel based on any era of ST:II onwards. The Enterprise and crew could have been out on a nostalgia trip rather than in service, so a sequel could include TNG ships.

Don't get me wrong.....The movies are my favourite era of ST, and the Enterprise-A(and refit I guess as they are very similar) are my favourite design of Enterprise. The above is just a thought....

Perhaps prematurely....speaking of sequals....wouldn't it be fantastic to see Starfleet defend Earth against a fleet of attacking Baseships ? Is a sequel something you would consider ?

Either way on any of the above.....I think the pictures make your animating skills look fantastic, and I am eagerly awaiting every update and the day when my socks will be blown off my your finished piece.....
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM   #17
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Oops. I seem to have missed an update...right when I was doing so good too.

Well, there's not much to update on. Work on this project was kinda slow today. I guess the only update worth saying is that I redid the "finale" shot with a better earth. The other one looked too small. By the way, the shot I'm refering to is the one at the top of this thread.

Sorry there's not much of an update today everyone. I promise I'll have something to show tomorrow night (Friday)

Oh yeah, an update on the poll.

Looks like "Journey's Fate" is in the lead. Following closely is "Journey's End" and "The Final Flight". "End of the Exodus"...still not a single vote. Like I said, I'm leaning more towards "Journey's Fate" myself. Keep them votes comeing.

Old February 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Update time....well...not yet

Tonight, I'm doing something differant. Instead of merely posting a screenshot of a new scene, I've decided to release a "trailer" so to speak of my fan film. I have some scenes to finish rendering for it, but I'm hopingto have it done so. Stay tuned, Digger One is coming in hot!

Oh yeah, I'm taking the title currently highest rated in the rankings...you'll see when you see the trailer.
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #19
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Trailer Released!

Update time! No cheep screenshots, no boring text to read...just moving pictures! I present to you a trailer of my fan film, currently titled "Journey's Fate".

I must ask...scrach that, beg, that anyone who downloads this trailer review it here. Please, so I can have a good sence of direction of what to do on this fan film.

And now, with out further ado, here is the 2:12 minute trailer for my fan film.

"Battlestar Galactica : Journey's Fate" Trailer

I eagerly await reviews.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #20
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Thumbs up

First, I really-really liked it watching it a couple of times I had an easy smile on my face. It felt right. Kudos to you for getting something done too, like Two Brain is found of saying “anyone finishing a fan film should be sainted”. So now get some actors in costume delivering dialog…we want more!

I’m not a CGI guy or animator. I’m a guy who’ll lug around a Canon XL-2 shooting sacks of flesh and water speaking technobable. So I don’t always know the right terms nor do I know how much experience you have etc. I think you will want to work on the textures of the models because it’s not lighting they where lit well. The shot of the two Raiders could be shorter to tighten things up. Having some ripping damage along the Enterprise during the Raider blasts would be cool ala ST: II Wrath of Khan, unless you where going for shield deflection.

The rotating base star as it is firing was…FRAKING DELISHOUS, me likey-likey very much. Great choice of the Goldsmith music, the sound seems to bridge the two franchises.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Another Film Maker
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #21
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

It was great to wake up to find this update on CF....I've watched it several times already....

One thing I noticed is that, somewhat oddly, many of the attacks on the Enterprise are by just one or two raiders ? Considering the size of the target, and the number of raiders that a Basestar holds, why are just one or two sent ?

I agree with Sept17th about showing damage to the Enterprise. Especially when following it with damage inside the bridge.

The shot at the end of all the ships together heading towards Spacedock is epic !!! I love it !

GREAT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #22
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Aren't Cylon's usually overconfident? I figured that when the basestar commander just decides to blow up the foreign target, two things haven't happened.

1. The Basestar Commander doesn't know the streigth of the U.S.S. Enterprise mainly because...
2. Captain Kirk decided it would be better to go around the unusual hamburger looking vessel, and there fore hasn't opened fire with anything.

I agreed with showing damage on the Enterprise hull from the attack...infact, I'm trying to figure out just how to do that. Believe it or not, this fan film marks the first time I managed to get just Lasers right. So, I'm not the professional Lightwave animator my images make me out to be. None the less, I'm still working on it. I don't like to set release dates, so don't be surprised if I continue the screenshot updates, then suddenly release it without warning. Keeps everyone in suspence

I think this trailer should hold everyone over for a day or two, so I'll resume updates on Sunday night. Please, keep the feedback rolling in!
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #23
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Still very unsure about the 1 or 2 Raiders idea. Since a single Raider has less capbilities than a ST shuttlecraft !

Your Raider is seen opening fire of a ship 100 times bigger than it.....even to the unfamilar eye...the Enterprise is a ship covered in well designed armour. Likely to have weapons. A good size, with unknown technology, certainly enough to be conisdered threat to a Basestar.

I think it would be very interesting to see the Enterprise surrounded by a swarm of attacking raiders. We know her weapon design is for battle between other ships of similar size, not a swarm of small craft....as ST movie era never really had fighters like SW and BSG.....so the Enterprise could find itself overwelmed especially if kamikazes are included.
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #24
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Oh, a couple of little things :

I agree with Sept17th about the 2 raiders flying towards Enterprise shot being too long. I'm also surprised we don't see them attack...the just seem the fly right to the saucer section.

The shot of the viewscreen showing the Raider attacking the bridge head on is MAGNIFICENT....followed by an impressive exterior shot of the Raider ramming but the explosion is some way away from the bridge, on the saucer.
I would look at showing the Raider veer off and ram just to the side of the bridge, which will bring it in line with the footage of an interior explosion as seen in the STII footage you use elsewhere. The creativity of this is excellent, this is just a continuity point.

Oh yeah....at the end when the title comes up.....Journey's Fate is missing the apostrophe.

I've watched the trailer so many times.....so AMAZING !
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #25
rjandron
Warrior

I like this--a lot. SF Fusion--blending multiple SF properties into a single project has always been a favourite of mine.

The titling is well-written. It reveals the next part of the story at the right moment.

Quote:
I agreed with showing damage on the Enterprise hull from the attack...infact, I'm trying to figure out just how to do that.
The Enterprise Hull being blasted by the raiders does need some damage--burn marks, and a few particle emitters where the raider shots hit sensitive areas. If you're using Lightwave, you may want to create blast and burn marks to use as an alpha channel in your hull textures--just underneath that, use a layer that is half black and half white set to "PS Multiply" that is referenced to the light showing where the raider torpedos are hitting. This should (heavy emphasis on should) have the effect of revealing the burn marks as the torpedos hit.

Add in some particle emitters to represent atmo being expelled from the ruptured hull where the laser torpedos hit, and you have a very nice FX shot.

I also like the shot of the Base Ship opening fire. You may want to look at varying the timing of the laser shots--making it a bit more random.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

Now it's our turn.

www.battlestarfanfilm.org
rjandron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

Awesome feedback. Exactly what I was hoping for! Okay, I'll address concerns one by and, and adjustments I'm likely to make.

Considering how strong a raider is compared to a shuttlecraft...umm...looks like I'm changing that shot to a squadron of raiders instead of a patrol. Thanks for addressing that issue. I have some footage from Wrath of Khan when Khan opens fire on the Enterprise, and I was hoping to time the raider attack with that footage of seeing the interior blown to bits. So, like Khan, the raiders don't attack until they're at point blank range. I just didn't show it like that in the trailer.

Hmm...yeah, I can see the raider veering off at the last second when it rams the saucer. I'm going to use the scene of the bridge going up in flames seen in this trailer after the ramming. Then, I'll show the exterior. Quick cuts, it's all about quick cuts in a battle scene. "Journey's Fate" is missing the apostrophe because...well...the font I used doesn't inclued one .

Thanks for the tutorial in the burn marks. I'll try and apply it to the Enterprise. However, as I credited in the credits, it isn't my model. None the less, it doesn't stop me from trying.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Keep it comming!
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #27
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Great you've taken all the feedback onboard....I think this fanfilm is going to be one of the best ever !

Quote:
"Journey's Fate" is missing the apostrophe because...well...the font I used doesn't inclued one.
Abort the whole fanfilm !!! Just joking. It's not such a big thing....perhaps you could use an apostrophe from another font ? This was just a silly little thing I noticed on one of them many times I've played the trailer...

Like I said......I think this fanfilm is going to be one of the best ever.....
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #28
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default Wow!!!

This is fabulous! Goosebump city! I even started tearing up at the end. (Yup, I am a girl! )

I agree fully about needing more raiders and the burn marks. Was the basestar actually textured? If so, it needs to be stronger.

The shot of the galactica at the begining is gorgeous but I would like to suggest a slight lighting modification. Sadly, I can't tell you how as my lighting stinks, but the ship looks slightly cartoony/flat and just a small light tweek would really put it over the top. It is obviouls that there is a lot of detail on there that is just not properly enhased by the lighting. It is not a texture thing.

Also, in the scene where the raiders approach the enterprise, the speed of the ships and the sharp arc seem out of place. So for that scene I suggest more ships, a slightly different pace, and a broader arc. This would give the impression of the ships sweeping in on the Enterprise for the attack which is much more dramatic.

Does LW let you edit arcs the way that Maya does? If so, what I am talking about should be super easy as it will be a minor tweak. Nothing major needed.

YOU RULE!
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #29
Digger_One
Bad Email Address

I'm back, and I have a text update.

Because I just recently realized how weak the raiders are compared to a UFP starship, I've updated the attack from 2 single raiders, to 2 flights of 4 raiders, making for a grand total of...8 Cylon Raiders. That should be enough to handle a threat to the basestar. Speaking of the Hades Class Basestar, I'm really not sure that it is textured. I think it's just a bunch of gray colors.

Adressing that first shot with the Galactica. As Athena pointed it out, it does look quite cartoonish, and flat. There is a reason for this...a bad reason, but a reason(s). I turned off shadows for this particular scene. Why would I turn them off? Well...that scene was really a last minute addition to the trailer, so I wanted it rendered up quick to include. That shot probably won't end up in the final film, so not many worrys there.

I've redone the shot of the raiders approuching the U.S.S. Enterprise. There will be an image upcoming tomorrow night. Like I said, it includes the new squadron of raiders. Unfortunetly, Lightwave doesn't let me edit arcs as you could in Maya, I'm really just guessing at what looks right. I'm not all that good with arcs like the ships should be doing, so half the time it probably isn't going to look right. Oh well, I do what I can...

Tomorrow, with some luck, we should be seeing the first of the Colonial 's!

Again, thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. Keep it rolling it, please!
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #30
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default Major kudos

The addition of the Raiders sounds awesome. The shadows would totally make a difference on the Galactica. I can understand why you turned them off in the interest of time. I look forward to the re-render. I am sure it will be spectacular!

BTW - The arc does not look bad and it took me several views to really catch that it seemed off to me. I think it is more of a pacing thing and with the addition of more raiders will be fine.

This is really a fantastic project that you are taking on! Major kudos to you. Starting it took a lot of gusto and talking about it to a group like us who will stay on you about it takes even more. The work so far is really fabulous. The fact is that for a piece that long and involved with so many shots and ships, we all seem to have very little to comment on other than saying that it is fabulous really says something. I personally know how challenging this stuff is. It is not at all easy and takes a lot of talent and patience.

You are doing a fabulous job!

Between you with this and Sandy with his Exodus series, TOS really does live on!