Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #31
Rowan
On Vacation...

ok well that's good to hear about the kids!

But dancing....ah... I'm an adict I'm afraid I must dance!!!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM   #32
doc834
Bad Email Address

So Rowan, how's that dancing coming along?
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM   #33
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey Doc here's my update oops! been forgetting to post it!

Well every Saturday I go to the Legion and dance from 8 pm till 1 am, I'm always early enough to participate in the lesson that way you get to meet 20 -30 guys and see whose lead style you understand best and work well with. Somehow by befriending this one guy it has gotten be into the most difficult clique to get into they are the best dancers, and some of the guys dance with me now and a couple of the women have given me pointers and help as well which really helps me to get better.

Every other Wednesday I've been going to the Hot Jazz Club and having fun there last week after the club closed (11:30pm) My Friend and I decided we wanted to keep dancing so we went downtown and found a little place that plays jazz and blues and although I couldn’t swing to most of it (I don't know west coast yet) we did dance to all the slow blues tunes, which for me is both easier and harder than following the lead in something like swing. dancing to slow sexy music and following someone else’s lead at times is hard because it's not the way your body wants to move to the music it's the way theirs does, so it was hard at first for me to just relax and follow the lead, I'd say that is my biggest challenge! But we danced until 1am and it was so much fun we did it all over again the very next night! I was evil I skipped my Balboa class!

Thursdays I go to my Balboa class when I 'm not skipping it! lol! We are learning a specific dance routine and everyone is lost! the instructor just confuses us so badly It's the last lessons I think I want to take with her. I'm going to the second to last lesson tonight.

Last night since there was no Hot Jazz Club I went over to my friends place and we practiced Bal for a few hours learned 4 new moves then we ate and we went down town again to dance to some blues again, this time I got to dance some East Coast Swing for a change but mostly we danced to the slow blues tunes.

This Saturday I'm going on a 4 hour Boat Cruise with my friend where there will be swing dancing while we tour the harbor so I'm looking forward to that!

Next Saturday I will be attending a Special dance that is designed to raise funds for a Cancer foundation in honour of my friends wife who passed away from it. So there will be a big performance put on by the dancers who knew and loved her.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM   #34
doc834
Bad Email Address

Sounds like you have a pretty good routine, on the dancing. You must be having a lot of fun. Good on you.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:09 AM   #35
Rowan
On Vacation...

I LOVE IT!!! it's just what I've been needing in my life I'm having a blast and meeting lots of nice new people too!
Since braxiss has been scarce I've had no one to share this with, so it's nice that you showed up! I have to credit braxiss with getting me started on this, it's due to his encouragement that I presued it.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:13 AM   #36
doc834
Bad Email Address

Sounds great. I like to learn about other people and their interests. It makes me a well-rounded person. You just keep dancing and I'll keep waiting to hear about it.
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #37
Rowan
On Vacation...

After the cruise tomorrow I've been invited to attend a Blues party not sure what exactly that entails but I'm game to check it out. I've been really enjoying dancing with someone to this music. It's very sensual to be pressed up against a man and dancing to this slow sexy music especially when he knows how to move in a sensual way, mmmmmmmmmm very nice! The hardest part though is moving the way you are being told to move. My body wants to move the way it feels the music it's hard to do it the way the other person wants you to! but I'm learning to let go of my need for control! LOL!
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #38
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
After the cruise tomorrow I've been invited to attend a Blues party not sure what exactly that entails but I'm game to check it out. I've been really enjoying dancing with someone to this music. It's very sensual to be pressed up against a man and dancing to this slow sexy music especially when he knows how to move in a sensual way, mmmmmmmmmm very nice! The hardest part though is moving the way you are being told to move. My body wants to move the way it feels the music it's hard to do it the way the other person wants you to! but I'm learning to let go of my need for control! LOL!
I hope you have a fantastic time
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #39
Rowan
On Vacation...

On Saturday I went on that harbour cruise in the afternoon with the Lindy dancers we all danced for hours on the cruise as we toured the harbour had great food and music it was a lot of fun, then some of us went for a long walk along the water front downtown Vancouver, and then we stopped at a pub watched the hockey game (Tampa vs. Alberta) and had a great supper. Then we went over to someone’s apartment for a "bootie blues party" were wonderful slow blues was played all night while over 60 people were crammed into a hot 500 square foot apartment dancing cheek to cheek to some great music, eating strawberries and whipped cream, and drinking. After that some of us went and grabbed a coffee or tea and some cheese cake at a cafe, and that was just Saturday. It was a wonderful time!
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #40
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
On Saturday I went on that harbour cruise in the afternoon with the Lindy dancers we all danced for hours on the cruise as we toured the harbour had great food and music it was a lot of fun, then some of us went for a long walk along the water front downtown Vancouver, and then we stopped at a pub watched the hockey game (Tampa vs. Alberta) and had a great supper. Then we went over to someone’s apartment for a "bootie blues party" were wonderful slow blues was played all night while over 60 people were crammed into a hot 500 square foot apartment dancing cheek to cheek to some great music, eating strawberries and whipped cream, and drinking. After that some of us went and grabbed a coffee or tea and some cheese cake at a cafe, and that was just Saturday. It was a wonderful time!
Now that sounds like wonderful fun!
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #41
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Now that sounds like wonderful fun!
It's been a blast so far Shiningstar!
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #42
doc834
Bad Email Address

Wow, Rowan, this dancing has certainly turned you into a real socialite. Keep it up. You're living life.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #43
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey doc! I am getting a chance to meet a lot of nice people, and having a lot of fun at the same time that is for sure!

On Saturday I went to Cancer foundation fundraiser ball WOW! it was sold out the place was packed! there was a big band playing music with a big horn section, a double base, drums etc. it was amazing to have the live music like that plus there were 3 vocalists. They played the music of the big band era perfect to dance lindy to!

There were performances by Lindy hoppers, West coast, Salsa, Jitterbugs, and several other dance groups it was so much fun to watch, they wore costumes and did a great job with lots of aerials!

After the performances everyone got back on the dance floor and a spontaneous jam started very cool! a big circle opened up and people started to do their thing one couple did some amazing aerials made my heart nearly stop to see it! very scary/exciting to watch!

I stayed till 1 am and then had to rush to catch the last sky train home it was a great night! the live band gave it a whole new atmosphere I felt transported through time!

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #44
Rowan
On Vacation...

Tuesday night I went out to the Yale and we dance to jazz/blues again. This band played a lot of music that you could swing dance too as well so that made for a nice change!

One couple that we regularly bump into was there dancing and then we were joined by 2 more dancing couples, they were all west coast dancers though so I could not dance with any of the guys, although one did try and dance a dance with me.

I was approached by a man who asked me to dance he was wearing a swing dancers outfit (suspenders, spats, hat etc.) so I thought he new how to swing dance turns out he could dance just not with a partner plus he turned out to be rather drunk, so it was very awkward!

but other than that it was lots of fun to watch others dance to blues music and it was nice to see some really good West Coast dancing, I've really come to like and appreciate the sensuality of this dance.
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #45
Rowan
On Vacation...

This past Saturday went to the Legion again to dance got a little bolder this time, and asked one of the better male dancers for a lesson he spent about 20 minutes or so teaching me, very nice guy and very knowledgeable on dancing! Then he asked me to dance a couple of times and that was a first for us not danced with him before.

I also got some help from the three top female dancers there and also a dance instructor I really worked on perfecting the swing out, it's not easy when every guy you dance with does it a little differently! but I'm working on it!

I hope your practicing braxiss!
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #46
braxiss
Major

Quote:
I hope your practicing braxiss!

i believe you have become the teacher, and i the learner
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #47
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss
i believe you have become the teacher, and i the learner
no no no I don't want to be the teacher anymore, I want to be the student when it comes to men! LOL! So get off your duff Sir find a baby sitter and take your woman out dancing!
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #48
braxiss
Major

i told bride of braxiss that it was time to start dancing again, and i think the shock of that statement blow her mind.
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #49
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
i told bride of braxiss that it was time to start dancing again, and i think the shock of that statement blow her mind.
So Mrs. Braxiss is good shocked or bad? I'm very excited if she is game to go dancing with you then I can really share fun stuff with you about all your new dancing experiences
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #50
braxiss
Major

she's a bit nervus, because she's never been swing dancing, and also i had pretty much decided my dancing days were over. so i guess now we need to find a place to go
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #51
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
she's a bit nervus, because she's never been swing dancing, and also i had pretty much decided my dancing days were over. so i guess now we need to find a place to go
I can understand that feeling of nervousness, lessons helped me to gain some confidence and meet a lot of the people who you end up seeing at the dance halls so you don't feel like such a stranger. I never met a nicer group of people though very friendly, helpful, no drugs or alcohol present, everyone very polite. I've danced with over a hundred guys so far and every one of them a gentleman towards me! if she has you with her that should really help, I went alone! LOL! crazy me! Plus it's just so much fun! I want to learn the west coast style now after seeing it danced very sexy!

This is very exciting braxiss tell Mrs. braxiss what I've said about my experience if it will help
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #52
braxiss
Major

o.k here we go.

ther's really not much to tell, but there was a "u.s.o." swing dance friday night, so i dusted off the old shoes and off we went.

it was nice to get out and do it again condering it's been well over ten years since i went swing(or any other type)dancing. we had a ball spent about two hours just remembering the moves, but they were starting to come back by the end of the evening. my wife siad se had fun and wanted to go dancing more often, so now we're looking for some where we can take lessons together. so i guess time will tell. (wish my knees luck)
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #53
Rowan
On Vacation...

YAY! SHE LIKED IT! Oh Braxiss that is soooo cool! I'm impressed that you remembered the moves 10 years is a long time! Those knees better hold up, me and Mrs. Braxiss are counting on it! LOL!

I think it's funny that the guy (you) who encouraged me to try swing dancing was encouraged in turn by the girl (me) he encouraged Hmmmm what goes around comes around?

I want to take more lessons it's been 3 weeks since I got to go dancing and I feel rusty all ready!
Thank you for sharing your story Braxiss you made me grin from ear to ear!
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #54
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
o.k here we go.

ther's really not much to tell, but there was a "u.s.o." swing dance friday night, so i dusted off the old shoes and off we went.

it was nice to get out and do it again condering it's been well over ten years since i went swing(or any other type)dancing. we had a ball spent about two hours just remembering the moves, but they were starting to come back by the end of the evening. my wife siad se had fun and wanted to go dancing more often, so now we're looking for some where we can take lessons together. so i guess time will tell. (wish my knees luck)
It sounds like both you and your wife had alot of fun! Take those lessons.
You won't regret it
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #55
julix
Bad Email Address

Braxsis and Rowan....
I think it is great you guys getting out there....I love dancing as well and hope my hubby and I can take swing lessons soon. He is not a dancer but is willing to try cause he knows how much I love it. I don't know how to swing dance right now when I go out with my friends for girls night we go dancing(mostly 80's). We were out friday night and danced non-stop to a great band that played mostly 80's rock and metal....so fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #56
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hi julix! I highly recomend swing dancing sooooo much fun and if your man is willing to learn that is awsome! wish mine was! I only got 6 one hour lessons and after that I went to the local dance hall and started accepting and asking for dances from complete strangers! It's a lot of fun! and an excellent workout! a fun way to stay in shape!
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #57
braxiss
Major

Quote:
I think it's funny that the guy (you) who encouraged me to try swing dancing was encouraged in turn by the girl (me) he encouraged Hmmmm what goes around comes around?

it really is funny how things happen