Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default Big Hopper (Bopper?)

Here is a development of the small shuttle / spec ops / SAR craft I have been working on. This uses the same nose section, engine pods and outer wing panels as the other ship. This craft has a much bigger payload, up to twelve passengers at a pinch, and better access through a rear ramp. Four engines give a better lifting capacity.


Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default

Here are a few more views.

Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default

Here she is hovering, rear door open. All up she is aboutthe same size as a viper, a bit wider and taller, but actually a bit shorter.
Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Qeutzal
Shuttle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 49

Default

WOW very nice little ship you have here. Is it a small transport shuttle or what.
can't wait for it done.

keep up the good work
Qeutzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace
 
CBSG4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...
Posts: 846

Default

Hey! That's nice work Smallworld.
For me, it sorta resembles the shuttles on Space: Above and Beyond with the rotating engines at the edges of the wings. I like the rear ramp and the gun(?) in the nose very much.

If you don't mind a suggestion and I'm not trying to nitpick, I did notice a thing or two. Warriors would have to be extra careful egressing from the craft from the rear or they might run into the engine wash from the turbos. On a routine run, it would not be a problem. However, if they were landing in a "Hot LZ", it could be a really big problem. I'm not sure what the solution might be to avoid this one issue.

The other is the seating arrangement in the rear area. It kinda looks cumbersome to get in and out. You might consider rotating the seats 90 degrees left and right (respectively) so the backs of each of the seats are against the fuselage. This would facilitate an easier entry and exit from the craft. The seating arrangement would be a similar design used in the Colonial shuttles as well.

These are just some thoughts I had that you might find helpful or useful. Please don't take offense. Do keep up the excellent work. I like the concept a great deal. Keep on going.
__________________
With Respects,

Steve

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:07 AM   #6
Taranis
Major
 
Taranis's Avatar
 


Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 5,062

Default

Excellent work ..look like it works too.
__________________
Gerard
My Blog

"The world is my country, science my religion.
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:28 AM   #7
ernie90125
Also Present
 




SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 1,979

Default

Looks great !!!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:23 AM   #8
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader
 
TwoBrainedCylon's Avatar
 
COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,110

Default

Pretty neat look. It looks like something from the Aliens universe to me. That could be a lot of fun animating.

Sandy
__________________
I respect French maids for their minds.
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default

Thanks guys! This ship kind of came about by accident. I started out with a simpler transport, and this evolved as a bigger version with four engines. I now have a set of modules that cam make up about six different ships. They all have the same nose section, there are two rear sections which use the same engine pod, and three mid section "mission pods". I wish I had this as a toy when I was a kid! Here is the "weapons pod" which turnes the basic hopper into a close support ship. The four weapon bays rotate to expose the weapons before launch, and there are a couple of laser cannons underneath.



Quote:
For me, it sorta resembles the shuttles on Space: Above and Beyond with the rotating engines at the edges of the wings. I like the rear ramp and the gun(?) in the nose very much.

If you don't mind a suggestion and I'm not trying to nitpick, I did notice a thing or two. Warriors would have to be extra careful egressing from the craft from the rear or they might run into the engine wash from the turbos. On a routine run, it would not be a problem. However, if they were landing in a "Hot LZ", it could be a really big problem. I'm not sure what the solution might be to avoid this one issue.

The other is the seating arrangement in the rear area. It kinda looks cumbersome to get in and out. You might consider rotating the seats 90 degrees left and right (respectively) so the backs of each of the seats are against the fuselage. This would facilitate an easier entry and exit from the craft. The seating arrangement would be a similar design used in the Colonial shuttles as well.
Not a problem CBSG4ever, all comments welcome! I never watched Space above and beyond, so I dont know what that ship looks like.

I think the hot LZ wouldnt be too much of a problem as the engines would be pointing at the ground when the warriors are getting out, although care would be needed!

I will probably put bench seats down the side. The seating layout is a bit fluid at the moment.

Quote:
Pretty neat look. It looks like something from the Aliens universe to me. That could be a lot of fun animating.

Sandy
Cheers Sandy, with the weapon pods and all it will be fun to animate. I'm an animation novicem but I think this would look good, so I'll give it a try. I think the base design of hopper looks a bit mor "Galactic", but this is straying a bit from the original concept. I think I can see it flying with a Viper still though
Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default

Here are few shots of the Bopper with the weapon pod fitted


Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Titon
Retired or am I?
 
Titon's Avatar
 


Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,790

Default

Pretty cool concept.

I like the overall design of the ship but am a bit worried about the engines being fixed to those wings. I don't think they'd be able to withstand the thrusting stress.

You could have the ship as is but put the engines in the back. Possibly on the side in the rear?

Just a thought.

__________________
www.colonialfleets.com
THE ART OF GALACTICA!
Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM   #12
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace
 
CBSG4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...
Posts: 846

Default

Quote:
Not a problem CBSG4ever, all comments welcome! I never watched Space above and beyond, so I dont know what that ship looks like.
It was a really cool show that only lasted one season...sound familiar? It was on the Fox channel in the mid 90's if memory serves. Here's a view of the shuttle in question. http://web-worthy.com/saab/images-issapc.html I hope you enjoy the pics. BTW, I also like the weapons pod configuration.

Quote:
I think the hot LZ wouldnt be too much of a problem as the engines would be pointing at the ground when the warriors are getting out, although care would be needed!
Most definitely. I do like the idea of those engines though.

Quote:
I will probably put bench seats down the side. The seating layout is a bit fluid at the moment.
Good idea. That would make sense as well.

Best always and keep up the great work.
__________________
With Respects,

Steve

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM   #13
Smallworld
Bad Email Address
 
Smallworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 158

Default

Here is the family shot everything so far.



Thanks for the link Steve, I vaguely remember the show now that I see the pics. I like the Hammerhead, looks cool.


Quote:
I like the overall design of the ship but am a bit worried about the engines being fixed to those wings. I don't think they'd be able to withstand the thrusting stress.
I was a bit worried about this myself at first. I hade the wing quite deep, and put those circular setion pipes along their length to beef them up, plus some deep intakes underneath. I think the essence would be lost if I re-positioned them now. Just for interest, here is a pick of a mid sixties German concept for a supersonic vertical take off fighter. It had two afterburning engines in each wingtip pod, plus a couple of lift engines in the fuselage, similar to my configuration here. Although this kind of SF craft has nothing to do reality

Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




So sez our Muffit!!!

For fans of the Classic Battlestar Galactica series



COPYRIGHT
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM. Contact the Fleet - Colonial Fleets - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content and Graphics ©2000-Present Colonial Fleets
The Colonial Fleets Forums are run by Battlestar Galactica fans, paid for by Battlestar Galactica fans, for the enjoyment of fellow Battlestar Galactica fans.



©2000-2008 Colonial Fleets