Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Colonial Fleets Fan Project
Notices

Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1
gmd3d
Major

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Battlestar´s Landing Bays

this is some thing I have been meaning to bring up for discussion.

The Landing bay....

How should it look ??

most of you have seen my first attempt and its to narrow I know. but should it follow that line of thinking or expand on it more...

I took at the time a few liberties and I think we should do the same again..... there are a few elements that I can grab from the landing bay and add to the new one (the detail around the opening.

but what we see on screen and the realities of the model it will be different ...

I would like to add to the bay and expand on it.

Punisher is already working on ideas for that .....

I am playing catch up working one other detail which I will post later ....

I would like to see some ideas.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar´s Landing Bays

Maybe it'd ber best to see what Punisher comes up with first and go from there, you don't want to be working at crosspurposes.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #3
gmd3d
Major

Yes indeed.... The work I doing at the moment and should have said it (the Laser cannons) ....

but as this is a group project I would like to see or hear ideas.

I added the control room in my one because I felt it need something like that.

so do we add that into the design but a better location or more built in.
I have ideas ...

I would like to get the ideas out now as much as possible ... so we can work on samples ...

I don´t like changing as build when I am half way though it.... esp when the details go in...

its a headache.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I think you're going to need firefighting equipment (as witnessed in Saga), loading equipment (a colonial version of a forklift), storage areas, a repair area and don't forget the decontamination booths!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I have been working on-and-off for quite some time on the overall landing bay design and have some ideas I will present very soon. I have not been doing any sort of detailing at all in most of the compartments, just low-poly with the doorways in the appropriate positions.
I started with the launching bays because we have so much good reference material to work with, and that is the only area I have done that has any detailing in it.
What I'd like to do is submit a low-poly landing bay configuration and see what you guys think. If we work on getting the landing bay, launching bays, hangers, elevators and such positioned, then it will be a simple matter for people to work on the chambers without any compatibility issues.

I've had a lot on my plate the last couple of days and am a bit behind where I wanted to be, but I should get some modeling time tonight and tomorrow.

If we all start off with the same base model to work on then it should all fit back together seamlessly when its re-integrated back to one master model. Different versions of rooms like the landing bay or a hanger could then just be swapped out without any impact on the rest of the project.

As for the control room, I really liked it. It did need to be adjusted for scale of course, but the concept was great. The ceiling was great as well as the crane. I also think the main hanger in the forward part of the landing bay pod could start with the same basic model as the landing bay. thats how my current configuration is, but with a large elevator room in between right where the central corridor connects the alpha and beta landing bays.

The other thing is terminology. We know what a landing bay is, and what a hanger is, as well as launch bays, but what do we call the whole structure as a whole? GINO called them "Flight Pods" , while TOS just called them "Landing Bays" which can cause some confusion.
So in TOS speak "the landing bay is located in the rear of the landing bay, and the launch bays are in the landing bay, but not in the landing bay. The hangers are also in the landing bay,and they are connected by elevators and doors to the landing bay "
See the problem?

I generally cringe at adopting any GINO terminology, They had so many bad ideas, and so few good ones. But in this case the term "Flight Pod" wouldnt bother me too much, unless some body can come up with something better.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
I think you're going to need firefighting equipment (as witnessed in Saga), loading equipment (a colonial version of a forklift), storage areas, a repair area and don't forget the decontamination booths!
I kinda thought the firefighting and utility vehicles would have a nice home behind those doors Taranis had right under the control room. The decon chambers might go nicely around the corner from there or locate them near most or all exits from the landing bay.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

At the end of the day they're just bays. You can launch from them and land on them.

Isn't "Launch Bay Alpha" refered to at some point?

And of course "fire in the bay!".

Don't overthink it.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

I have an idea that might help out for the purpose of being on the "same page" regarding terminology amongst ourselves. How does this sound?

Flight Bays - This would refer to the Alpha and Beta Bays (Pods).
Landing Deck - The entrance to the Flight Bays where the Vipers/Shuttles land.
Launch Deck - Where the Launch Tubes & elevators for the Vipers are located
Hanger Deck - Where the Vipers/Shuttles are stored/repaired

Does this sound reasonable and agreeable? Feedback please.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever View Post
I have an idea that might help out for the purpose of being on the "same page" regarding terminology amongst ourselves. How does this sound?

Flight Bays - This would refer to the Alpha and Beta Bays (Pods).
Landing Deck - The entrance to the Flight Bays where the Vipers/Shuttles land.
Launch Deck - Where the Launch Tubes & elevators for the Vipers are located
Hanger Deck - Where the Vipers/Shuttles are stored/repaired

Does this sound reasonable and agreeable? Feedback please.
good to go .... I like it give us a place to start.

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #10
gmd3d
Major

Regarding the landing bay and control room.

I found by chance these drawing that I was working on with Westy some years ago.

I broke the bay into 3 sections at the time. divided by massive hanger doors.

The Brown section that you see is the section I built.

The Green section is where Shuttles are prepared and store above and is close to the arm that leads to the main body of the Galactica perhaps a transfer tunnel.

The orange area could be a massive works area of some sort.

this is an old idea ,, but improve on it if you can..

I also added the original image that is seen in the show which only show and idea.... we can expand on that now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floorplan1.jpg (159.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg floorplan2.jpg (158.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg BayMattePainting.jpg (14.3 KB, 18 views)

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #11
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

The configuration I will be submitting sometime very soon also has the landing deck level divided into 3 sections with large doors separating them. I have the center section a lot shorter, but with a very high ceiling. This section is intended to have an elevator big enough to lift multiple shuttles and cargo up to the transfer tube level as well as the upper hangers.
I am using doorways for the viper elevators that are shaped the same as the old painting. Whats different about my concept in regards to the viper elevators is that I have the enterances already cut at an angle, rather than entering perpendicular to the wall then having to immediately turn the ship to the same angle as the launchtubes.
Its coming along right now, I'll have something presentable soon.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #12
gmd3d
Major

Great I will wait and see what you have in mind ...

looking forward to it

Old March 13th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #13
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I did some work on the viper hanger design tonight. I'll try to have some concept images tomorrow or the next day.
I am going to try it with the viper hanger below the main landing deck. So far I have the hanger with a 23' total ceiling height, and 18' clearance under the support beams. There is a 10" space between the ceiling and the landing deck surface. The support columns I have in the hanger should be adequate to plausibly give the landing deck proper rigidity.
The elevator shaft is VERY close to the hull, perhaps 1' at the closest point. The elevator itself will have to be less than 18" deep below the floor, but I think thats also plausible.
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #14
gmd3d
Major

great .... I looking forward to getting to the sets myself ....

also I have set some shaped to 6ft scale to help me with this .... will I send that to you so we know were working in the same area ,,,,, I also have the character on OBJ format.... its about 6ft.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crew.zip (438.7 KB, 14 views)