Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 13th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #91
Rowan
On Vacation...

Oh I knew they were sexually attracted to each other or lovers from the 2nd or 3rd show it wasn't a surprise to me to me it was obvious
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #92
Archangel
Bad Email Address

And what does that say about the way your mind works?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #93
Rowan
On Vacation...

Hey!!
I'm just very observant and sensitive to subtle cues. Chris often teases me that I should write these things because I'm always guessing what comes next or I'll say a line before the character does anticipating what it will be. But that only sugests to me just how predictable these things are and I wouldn't want to create more of the formulaic stuff I'd want something more unpredictable. Which I think they were actually trying to go for with this but it wasn't unpredictable to me once I got the hang of there style of story telling all of a sudden I could see where they might be going with each character.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #94
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Hey!!
I'm just very observant and sensitive to subtle cues. Chris often teases me that I should write these things because I'm always guessing what comes next or I'll say a line before the character does anticipating what it will be. But that only sugests to me just how predictable these things are and I wouldn't want to create more of the formulaic stuff I'd want something more unpredictable. Which I think they were actually trying to go for with this but it wasn't unpredictable to me once I got the hang of there style of story telling all of a sudden I could see where they might be going with each character.
predictability is the curse of Hollywood.

on another note; You like unpredictable, do you?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #95
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
predictability is the curse of Hollywood.

on another note; You like unpredictable, do you?
in my entertainment I like a little unpredictability yes !

as for what you may be inferring now look whose mind mind is working in a naughty way!!
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #96
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default jan 12 episode

Julie, I didn't care for last night's episode either--it was a little too adult for the 8 p.m. time slot. The one part I did like was a brief scene that you probably didn't pay attention to because you hadn't seen the show before--when Boone was in the police station trying to make a report, you saw another guy (a guy with really messy blond hair struggling to get away from the police) in the background. That was Sawyer, who is also on the island. That little sequence made me laugh, because the writers haven't yet told what us what Sawyer has been arrested for in that scene. Sawyer is a real jerk, but he also has all the funniest, most insulting lines in the series.
I had assumed early on into the series that many of these characters had enountered each other prior to the plane crash. So I wonder how it will be written into the plot line?

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #97
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
The one part I did like was a brief scene that you probably didn't pay attention to because you hadn't seen the show before--when Boone was in the police station trying to make a report, you saw another guy (a guy with really messy blond hair struggling to get away from the police) in the background. That was Sawyer, who is also on the island. That little sequence made me laugh
Mary
Mary I had completely forgotten about that scene I remember at the time bursting out loud (at the tv...since I was alone lol) "hey that's Sawyer!" LOL
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #98
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Step-siblings, ah, that is a bit different. Just watching last night it was only phrased as "brother-sister", and knowing how weird Hollywood can get for shock value.....I was of course presuming the worst.

Locke. Interesting. Wasn't there an enlightment era philosopher named Locke?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #99
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Step-siblings, ah, that is a bit different. Just watching last night it was only phrased as "brother-sister", and knowing how weird Hollywood can get for shock value.....I was of course presuming the worst.
I would not have been so accepting otherwise myself LOL I'm bad but not quite that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Locke. Interesting. Wasn't there an enlightment era philosopher named
Locke?
Really? that might kind of apply to him that's interesting I'll have a peak on the net and see if I find anything thanks Jewels
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #100
Fragmentary

Snore....
So everything was just a hallucination? How spectacularly uninteresting. We haven't actually seen the monster since the second or third episode, and when it does show up again... its not really there. They also didn't progress with the hatch or even explain why Locke is making teams. The whole episode seemed like a waste of time. Nothing moved forward.

And the preview for next week? Oh look Sawyer has something they need and he won't give it to them again. I suspect we've found that awkward point in the season where the writers are giving us filler to pad out the schedule.

Sorry to be snippy, but there are few writer cliches I hate more than the, "it was all a dream" one.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #101
Rowan
On Vacation...

Fragmentary I'm not sure by what you said if you saw this episode or not ...

I am not a fan of the dream thing either but this was different to me because this time it allowed the "dreamer" to come to a profound understanding about himself" and the halucination was brought on deliberately by another character - Locke, who we discover from his actions has a profound understanding of the island, what plant will cause this effect, how the island works, has an understanding of the emotional needs of his fellow islanders and is prepared to take action to help them to grow emotionally - and we learn all of this from that one action of his. So for me it was different than your typical dream scene.
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #102
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I don't think the ointment Locke gave Boone caused that hallucination. I think its something that has to do with the island.

I also grossed out at the brother-sister thing. But then I watched it again and i have more appreciation for Boone. That was his half sister which is slightly better..not much.... And he had just been crushed, finding out that she had been scaming him using his love for her for money. I think she is the sick one. She is constantly using him. She is a horrible person to know. Boone was very vulnerable. He seems to have this inate desire to care and be helpful, but whenever he tries, it fails (not his fault) and you can tell he is the guy who wants to help, but is always getting hurt. He tries CPR on the black woman, tries to protect the water supply by hiding it, tries to save a drowning girl, tries to keep bad boyfriends from his sister..... and everytime he fails. He also tries to help when his sister couldn't breathe from asthma and he went out with Locke to find Claire.

This boy tries hard...but well...his accomplishments are consistent...

---

OH Julie, there was another John Locke. We learned a little about him in our american history books. He was a philosopher a hundred years before the USA was established. His writings of about Freedom and Human Liberties were considered subversive back then, but they became inspiration for Thomas Jefferson and many of our founding father in establishing a liberal soceity. Basically that goverment should serve the people, and there are basic human rights that a goverment should protect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #103
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

btw- I thought the sister getting killed hallucination was incredible piece of writing! I was at the edge of my seat!

This island is DANGEROUS!

Old January 14th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #104
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Now I lost track of which of you said this (what I get for not reading the thread linearly!) but Locke did intrique me in that "sage mentoring student" sort of way. The "hatch observing" was sort of a meditative discipline and the drugging to enlighten the student to their own emotions, struck me as similar to Morpheus and Neo's training sessions in the Matrix.

Now, any thoughts on what the brother's actual relief feeling was? Is it relief that he no longer has to worry about her safety? Relief that she doesn't have to endure this frightening island? or Relief that their confusing relationship has an absolute stop thrown into it if she dies?

Any other ideas?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #105
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think its several things. He had several heavy burdons. He was always bailing her out of trouble. He was always being used by her. He was always helping her. And he felt a load of guilt and pain over what happened with her.

I think he would love to never ever see her again.

Old January 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #106
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default on talk shows

Jorge Garcia will be on the Jimmy Kimmel Show at 12:05 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 18, on ABC. This is US Eastern time.
Evangeline Lilly will be on the Ellen Degeneres show on Tuesday, Jan. 18.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #107
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default clare's return

At the end of last night's episode, Clare returned. I just hope her baby IS JUST a baby and nothing else. I don't want to watch something where it's already 10 years old or is Satan or an alien. We've seen all those plots before.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #108
Rowan
On Vacation...

I agree Mary I hope it's nothing weird like that!! It didn't look like she was still pregnant to me I'm wondering if those "people" who took her kept the baby.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #109
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
I agree Mary I hope it's nothing weird like that!! It didn't look like she was still pregnant to me I'm wondering if those "people" who took her kept the baby.

I was thinking the same thing Rowan!
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:23 AM   #110
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Did you notice that the black kid seemed to have this dark evil thing going?

Poor Michael! Hit by a car! His child taken away. And after all he went through, he still didn't reveal what a slimeball the stepdad was.

btw- I;m glad to see Claire back. I love hearing her sexy aussie accent!

Old January 21st, 2005, 04:06 AM   #111
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Did you notice that the black kid seemed to have this dark evil thing going?
Yep I sure did, kinda creepy .......when he was traped by the bear I thought he might kill it like the bird.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM   #112
Rowan
On Vacation...

Well I don't know if I would say he's evil. But in both cases something he was looking at manifested itself with the end result that he got the attention of both men or both of his dads.

It seems that what ever you "wish" comes true on this island weather its a good wish or a bad wish. That includes Claire - remember she didn't really want this baby kept trying to give it up for addoption her due date was close she was probably freaked about it being born after what that medium told her and "wished" that she didn't have to deal with him.
Locke wished that he could walk and be able to do walk abouts now he can walk and he's become jungle jim...
Go through the list of them not all are positive wishes some seem to be secret wishes. Like I deserve...because....
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:33 AM   #113
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm wondering if there is something around this island that causes hallucinations. Some indigenous plant. An experiment gone wrong...mindwave device...evil spirits...something...

I also think the french woman and the people she came with were scientists. But something happen. I think whatever they were doing involved the polar bears,which they must have brought. I think Ethan, the guy who took claire, must have been a part of that. But since the french woman has been here 16 years, he must have been a kid at the time.

Old January 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM   #114
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh btw, I'm guessing that somehow that airplane might mean that Kate at one time had a son. Somehow, she had a child with a man, they seperated. And the boy dies, and she blames herself for that. And after the kid's death, Kate must have wanted the toy as it was an important kepsake of her son's memory. The father refused. Kate must have done something desperate to get it, like steal or break into his home. That caused him to put the airplane keepsake in the safe deposit box to keep it away from Kate. Kate's life must have fallen apart. Possible cause of whatever she did to get the toy. Jail possibly for breaking and entering? And then Kate was desperate for the keepsake of her son's toy because its all there is left of him that she staged the bank robbery.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:07 PM   #115
Artemis
Warrior

On the topic of Claire's baby...She was warned to not let anyone else raise it by the psychic. Now it seems his fear has come true, assuming she is no longer pregnant and she didn't look to be in the quick view of her.

It was also interesting that the animal that attacks Walt is a polar bear, the very thing he was reading about in the comic book. We know there was already one seen on the island but why the comic book connection? He was reading about birds when the one flew into the window.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:06 AM   #116
Fragmentary

It's interesting that Walt reads about a polar bear and one manifests itself (twice). And now we see that Kate has kept a little plane locked away in a deposit box, and in real life a plane has crashed on an isolated island, locked away as it were. Obviously there is something very special about these survivors. Not everyone in the part of the plane the main characters were on survived. Perhaps it isn't the island that gives them the ability to alter reality but just these particular people themselves.

Which makes me wonder if the unseen monster that terrorized them early on, wasn't just the manifestation of the survivors unfocused fears of being stranded on the island. They were scared, but they didn't know exactly what to be scared of, and so, that vague invisible dread became that in reality- a vague invisible monster.

The compass that doesn't point north, may be doing that because no one on the island knows where they are, so the island doesn't know where it is. If Jack and Sayid were to get everyone together and say, that's were the sun rises, that's were it sets, so that is north. Would the compass suddenly point North?

The only way to answer this stuff, is for all of us to get together and crash a plane on a mysterious island. Who's with me! I'll bring the sunblock.
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #117
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default potential season finale

I've come up with a potential season finale for Lost. This is my theory:
Last September, when the show debuted, the writers probably had something different in mind when they were plotting out the episodes. Then came the tsunami in December.
I suspect that the writers, like myself and many others, did not learn until after Dec. 26 that the earthquake that causes a tsunami may not even be felt by the people on land, and that the ocean looks like it is disappearing just before the wave hits the shore. That's what I think is going to happen in the season finale. The folks on the island will never know there's an earthquake offshore, and none of them, except possibly Locke, would know that the tide goes out drastically just before the tsunami. Locke will be in the forest somewhere, and the rest of them will be standing there wondering why the beach has suddenly gotten so much bigger. They'll see the wave, and that will be the end until next September.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:58 AM   #118
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default shannon

Another theory as to what will happen:
This week's TV Guide mentioned that one of the characters will die before the season's end. I suspect it could be Shannon (Maggie Grace). She's the least-liked person on the island, and more importantly, the least useful, except for her ability to speak French. I think she's the most expendable. I can't stand her character. (Although, on the other hand, a character who comes across that well as being so dimwitted is probably an indication that Maggie Grace is a good actress...)
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:54 PM   #119
Fragmentary

If someone dies, I have to think it will be Jin (the husband in the Korean couple). The fact that his character can't speak English really restricts what they can do with him and by extension, it holds the wife's character back as well. I suspect the writers realize that they've put themselves in a corner with him and would love to just get out of it.
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #120
Rowan
On Vacation...

interesting little article on J.J. Abrams, "who co-created ABC's hit SF series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that he's already coming up with ideas for a second season. "

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30307

Also..."ABC has posted a faux Web site for DriveSHAFT, the fictional rock band headed by Charlie Pace (Dominic Monaghan), a character in its hit SF series Lost, and featuring a video clip from the band's "You All Everybody."