Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Lessons from space shuttle crew & out for a couple of days

Hi all,
After last weekend's tragedy in the loss of 7 real space heroes, it is hard to justify keeping the cry up for our fictional ones in the midst of the very real grief. The things I have heard quoted about every single astronaut of this Columbia crew: their very real faith, their determination to pursue a space career from young ages, their courage, their understanding of the cost of the new frontier, their willingness to brave that price, their families' willingness to let them pursue their dreams. Their excellence whether it was their valor in battle or their skill as scientists. Their families desire that NASA and the ISS team continue to carry on.

Columbia's crew will live on as idealized heroes. But did you notice the character traits I mentioned? Those are things that are learned. And things that TV show characters can influence. I believe I have heard both Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah cite Uhura from ST:TOS as the role model giving them the impetous to pursue media careers.

It is worth fighting for the characters of the Colonial Warriors to have those role model characteristics that might inspire our own next generation of space heroes: faith, determination, self-sacrifice, valor. It is worth fighting for the show you love.

Carry on. The battle can be won, still. Stand your ground and make your case of support for the original series, turning the Moore/Eick thing into a prequel so it doesn't negate TOS, or just flat out stating why a continuation is where to go.

The neo-Galacticans (am not talking about the trolls) are listening. If you treat them decently, they can be reasoned with. A lot of the folks have already seen some ground won in that camp. Some would accept Moore's thing as a prequel already. (it's a step, one never knows which pebble bouncing will start the avalanche).

We might want to consider posting the scifi BSG marathon schedule on the Trek bboards so the Moore fans that are interested can be more informed about our show. And keep asking those you know to sign the petition.

Raymar's (Ken's) post was excellent. Please read it. It is much better than my feeble attempt, but thanks for reading.

I will be out for a couple of days, getting away without the nearly 2 yr. old (she acts 2 1/2, I swear!) Have a great weekend.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
dah66
Warrior

Jewels,

Enjoy your time away!

I agree, the battle to preserve the original format can still be won.

I urge everyone that has concerns about the remake to write a letter to the TPTB. State your concerns politely and keep it short.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Have a great time Jewels!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #4
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Thanks! we had a good time!
Old February 9th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #5
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Thanks! we had a good time! Getting away is a good thing when you have a little kid.