Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 28th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #1
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Question Superman & Bsg fans unite?

It seems Superman fans are fighting a similar fight with warner brothers over an upcoming "reimagination" of The Man of Steel.

Mebby there can be some back scratching goin on here.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Personally the WB is going about a new Superman movie all wrong. All i hear is how there want to cast a big Hollywood name in the role. Where as Richard Donner had the brains in his Superb Superman: The Movie to cast an then unknown Christopher Reeve. DC comics has tons of comic book heros to call upon but Noooooooooo!....they continuously push the only two marketable names to their bizarro judgement "Batman and Superman" leaving out possible marketable ones like Flash, Wonderwoman, Aquaman, Green Lantern.

At least Captain Marvel is being developed. does DC comics and Time Warner/AOL continuously want to get it's teeth kicked in by Marvel Entertainment at the box office? You raise an interesting topic Hito even if it is a little off topic! Kevin Smith and Tim Burton had their respective visions of a new Man of Steel. But they went nowhere, J.J. abbrams had his wacky matrix rip off, Krypton doesn't blow up, Lex Luthor an alien outline that was lamblasted months back? Along with the ongoing Batman Year one rumors we're back to square one again.

As a big fan of old "Blue" i'm curious but afraid in this P.C. crapola make a flash and pan movie era it could live up to Richard Donner's Superman or the Donnerish/Richard Lester Three Phantom Zone Kryptonians villains vs Superman sequel.

I'll lend support in hopes the WB wisen up and produces the goods but it's a long shot. Realistically Warners should be doing more to boost conifidence of it's supporters, but then we know full well about that don't we, no understanding or acknowledgement from the ones in charge of the property.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

here is a thread from over at the DC message board.
The script they are reviewing is actually as diffrent from sooperman as BSG Fans seem to think moores BSG is diffrent from the original.

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/files...ML/012097.html
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #4
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

Unlike Galactica the Superman movie is being rewritten and recast on what sometimes seems a daily basis. What they're passing around and getting upset about in that thread is already pretty outdated.

There's no way to know what an eventual Superman movie is going to turn out to be like. It's strange, but this is similiar to the way the first Christopher Reeves movie was made -- the Salkinds kept changing directors and scripts and screen-tested everybody in Hollywood it seemed until they brought Donner aboard late in the game and he straightened it all out by casting the little-known Reeves.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #5
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Yeah it seems like every time i look up there is a new creative team and a new actor ment to be behind the red shield.

I htink the key to a successful Superman movie lies in making it an extension of Smallville.
It will take longer but i think the payoff will be worth it.

In the inbetween time WB & DC ought to work on developing some of there other viable characters. Especially Green Lantern & Wonder Woman.
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

I'd love to see a Green Lantern movie but sadly the character has never achieved the popularity to make him marketable.

A GL tv series seems to me to be something that could be done now within a realistic budget. I much prefer Hal Jordan and especially the GL Corps, but the realities of tv demographics would dictate Kyle Rayner.

As a feature, though, the casting ought to go something like Tom Cruise, Sandra Bullock, Gary Oldman as Sinestro, Keanu Reaves, and Jack Nicholson as Kronos.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #7
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I prefer a hal story as well but if they ever wind up doing somthing with the character I think they would be more likly to combine the Hal & Kyles backstory.
But the guy behind the mask would definatly be Kyle.

My cast would be
Bruce Campbell as Hal Jordan or Alexis Denisof as Kyle
no real ideas for the rest of the players tho
Old March 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

You both have an interesting opinions on the subject. And true on the WB DC message boards, the article is old. But unlike are Galactica situation, more new news is bandied about thus the discussions are always heated and angry on the direction chosen by the people involved in doing another Superman movie.

As for marketable? what is, untill it is tried and tested! Far as i know Marvel Entertainment and all it's characters in comparsion to DC comics. Is on a huge roll because of the first Blade movie. Remember the days when Marvel couldn't get it right and DC always did. Well since "Blade" Marvel's has been on a Juggernaut of a roll (Heh sly nod to a Marvel character) And who would have seen Blade as a major superhero. Or to have a sequel with music video on MTV etc, no one did but taking a gamble and seeing what could happen is something DC comics should wake up to.

Originally it was to be Black Panther adapted first before Blade. surprising both Blade and Daredevil aren't considered in the bunch of the main top Marvel solo heroes or teams but Spider-man, The X-men, The Hulk, Thor, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and Captain America. And their movies weren't flops either. (Blade 3 and Daredevil 2 on the way?)

Right now i say the consenus is, the new Superman movie won't live up to Richard Donner's movie. I wish it could in some way? But i still say DC should open their eyes and give us more of their comic books to be adapted.

Good news is that, i've heard some of their "Vertigo Line" of comics are being warmed up for live action Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer some more possible Alan Moore adaptations along with DC Comics Shazam title (Captain Marvel) so prehaps their is hope.

As for any new Superman movies and possible Batman Year One talks of a movie down the line. Time, time will tell all, just like it told us about our hopes of a certain comeback of a beloved TV show?

KJ

Last edited by KJ; March 7th, 2003 at 04:48 PM..
Old March 7th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

P.S. best quote from the DC boards is :

"The lack of vision and creative discipline is appalling."

Which applies to something else you all know of: Begins with "B" Second word begins with "G"

Later KJ