Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 20th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Lightbulb What about this?

Here's an idea. I've read many threads debating the merits of the remake script as opposed to the old series. How about this- the merits of the remake script, which at this point is just a pilot, basically, versus the 'Second Coming' trailer?

In my opinion, I think Hatch and Company did an awesome job of exploring the potential of the property begun by Glen Larson. I think if the two projects were made, and compared, that the Second Coming would blow away the remake.

Anyone?

Last edited by Micheleh; February 20th, 2003 at 01:33 PM..
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I am still waiting for the downloadable version.

Loved the Red & Black costumes tho.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:40 PM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Anyone else? I know many here have seen the trailer *at least* once, if not more.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:59 PM   #4
Fingers
Bad Email Address

I've seen the trailer (once) but to compare like with like, I'd have to see the full script .. How the characters are developed in detail, how the dialogue is written.

I'm not being deliberately sceptical and yes i would much prefer anything over what appears to be being made but a five minute trailer is that, a five minute trailer... I'd love to see it being made into a well crafted and well written show but I'd need to see the script before I could make that decision.

Fingers
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 06:05 AM   #5
crash4587
Bad Email Address

Default How about?

If Mr Hatch release's the 2nd coming script?
crash4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:08 AM   #6
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Hmm. I thought there was a pretty good idea of the characterizations from the trailer. Of course, it *is* comparing a trailer with no available script to a script without a trailer. Of course, you could probaly guestimate some of it from reading the books.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Micheleh

I read Armageddon and I didn't care for it and that's why I supported the DeSanto version of continuation.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM   #8
Fingers
Bad Email Address

If it is based on / around the books ... from what i've seen of them then no.

The excerpts / reviews that I've seen don't get me rushing out to buy them, so a telemovie based on them wouldn't get me rushing to go and watch it.

I don't really care *who* produces/ writes or even stars in any eventual BSG production (ahhhh heresy!) - the important thing is that the eventual product delivers a quality production in terms of script, story, fx and performances and said production is located *somewhere* within the canon universe...

(mind you of course then that sparks a whole 'nother debate of what is canon...)

Don't get me wrong, I respect Richard for what he's done to keep BSG alive and on the map and I was really, really bowled over by him when I met him in Germany, just I don't automatically think then we should be follow unquestioningly...

Fingers
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM   #9
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I knew I should have clarifies that, lol.

I haven't seen the script. I'm saying that the books will give you an idea of the writing style- minus collaborators.

No, never follow anyone unquestioningly. I just was idly speculating based on what I'd seen and what I'd read... I would rather have seen the trailer go forward.

I do think that it's equally difficult to compare a 25 year old series with an untried script, though. Judging the script the way I would any written fiction or literature, I don't car for it.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 11:48 PM   #10
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Wasn't it mentioned that 45 minutes were shot in order to make the 4 1/2 minute trailer? Could some of that footage be salvaged and used to make the trailer a bit longer?

Even if it were only 2 extra minutes, that would add appreciably to what we all hope eventually to see.
Old February 24th, 2003, 03:27 AM   #11
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by ojai22
Wasn't it mentioned that 45 minutes were shot in order to make the 4 1/2 minute trailer? Could some of that footage be salvaged and used to make the trailer a bit longer?
Yes and yes. Call that one heck of a teaser, but Richard wants the details kept to a minimum for the time being. (GWoM is demanding Richard's attention for the moment. The extra BG:TSC footage hasn't been forgotten.) There's a good reason that nothing is being divulged yet.

Your petition hasn't been forgotten, Ojai22, although what I'm alluding to takes a different pathway -- for now, at least. No digging around or trying to pry others for details, please. All will likely be shared publicly in due time.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #12
dah66
Warrior

Hmmm. Kind of tough to compare the two. The trailer is a fully realized piece of work whereas Moore's script is a blueprint for the new production. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot!

I saw the trailer in a crowded auditorium. The lights went down and fans from across the nation got their first look at new Galactica footage after having waited for over 20 years. They were not disappointed. When the lights came back up, everyone was on their feet clapping and cheering.

The trailer presented a story line that was somewhat different from Richard's books. The Cylons have evolved due to a civil war within their empire. This prompts Apollo to prepare the next generation of Colonial warriors for the second coming of the now deadlier and more advanced Cylons. The special effects were truly stunning and the use of original cast members was nostalgic without feeling forced. Meaning, they were included to move the story forward and not just there for the "remember me?" factor.

Overall, what made Galactica special was reflected in the four and half minute film. There was the epic look, the themes of family and friendship, and the struggle of good Vs evil. Additionally, there was a feeling of advancement. The production values bridged the gap between 70's science fiction and modern science fiction. Seeing the characters as older added to the epic feeling of the story. It gave a sense of time and place. It made the story feel big, as if the story was too large to tell within the scope of a few years.

I'm a fast reader and it took me a long time to read Moore's script. It wasn't terrible and there were some excellent moments, it's just these moments were few and far between. Basically, I just didn't find it engaging on a personal level. I found the human characters consistently negative and therefore didn't really care if they lived or died. For example, at the end of the first night, one of the major characters is believed to be dead. Did I care? Not really. As a matter of fact, it was several days before I got around to reading the second part of the script to find out if the character was actually dead. When I finished reading the entire script, I felt empty. There was no emotion. None. I just didn't care.

So, two separate works and two emotional reactions, one had me on my feet clapping and the other had me reaching for a Paxil.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Strange last year on sci-fi i popped the question what if you had the option of either a adaptation of

(1)Hatch novels

(2) Maximum press comics direction of the Battlestar Galactica at Earth (Primative Earth) still fighting Cylons

(3) Larson Moyer Battlestar Pegasus direction

(4) Hatch's Second Coming direction of the BG Universe.

There were alot that went with 1, 2, 4, etc. Now alot of you won't go for 1? Hatch's novels ain't perfect but whoa thats alot changes in a year.

I wish like all i could see the BG:TSC Trailer, but like alot of the fans that have followed the revival. The pictures and info are more than enough to convey the old Galactica so i put it in as as an option! Like Michael says hope any extras regarding the tralier haven't been forgotten this is the 25th anniversary of BG this year so i hope all things Galactica get out to the masses of fans, people think this franchise doesn't have.

Doesn't Micheleh raise a very good point. What if more than one BG project were to be done? Hatch BG:TSC Vs RDM BG: Remake!" why not aren't there two "Alexander the Great" movies planned in old Hollywood to be made? Oliver stone Vs whathisname? Why not two Galactica planned projects.

Plot thickens :uhdrop:

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #14
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries

No digging around or trying to pry others for details, please. All will likely be shared publicly in due time.

Michael
:colwar:
That sounded like it was directed toward me but I haven't done any digging around nor have I ever tried to pry info from others. I know Richard has his own agenda for his work, we all have. You can't function very well without one.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #15
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

He was saying that for all our benefit, Ojai.
*puts her gardening trowel back into the garden tool cart* The ground is snow-covered, I needed something to dig for......cabin fever, y'know. :z: The gardeners curse: the plant catalogs come out when the snow is still falling. hehehehehe.

Michael, do you ever tire of the cryptic intrigue felgercarb?? *just teasing*

Last edited by jewels; February 24th, 2003 at 11:09 AM..
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #16
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ojai22

Even if it were only 2 extra minutes, that would add appreciably to what we all hope eventually to see.
Wow that would make it enough footage for an entire episode.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #17
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

*sigh* the trailer....*another sigh* I have seen it *starts to count* 6 times and I swear I can not get enough of it. The music gets th goosebumps started....then the sceen when the cylon's boot crashes out on the ground...the tingles run through my body and the goosebumps have goosebumps. I sit at the edge of my seat (and no I am NOT joking) each time I see it. I want to see that continue on - to see the story unfold on screen. I want to see that as what we get, not this crap that is being force fed to us. But that trailer and MORE of it!!!! All I know is that I feel like crying afterwards from seeing since I know that will never be our reality. But will that keep me from taking my stand for continuation or nothing? Nope!!! Not one bit! I will continue to fight for that show and the orginals and for what I believe in. So what if the trailer is made in mind of the books? No offense but sometimes movies/shows are better than the books. It happens sometimes. Is that a reason to write this show off? NOPE!

*sigh* I want that show!!!! And the way Richard was going to do it too. *sigh*

Kristi
the dark jedi
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #18
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Default Michael ---

Ok master of the cryptic words. You are just testing those of us that are extremely curious aren't you? You know some of us just can't help ourselves and that need to "dig" for information, especially after you give us something cryptic like that.
"Curiousity kills the cat... and satisfaction brings it back!" Oh how true that is!!!!
And this is eating me alive!!!!!!!! Shame on you! lol jk OH THE TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristi
the DarkJedi
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:01 AM   #19
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by dah66
I'm a fast reader and it took me a long time to read Moore's script. It wasn't terrible and there were some excellent moments, it's just these moments were few and far between. Basically, I just didn't find it engaging on a personal level. I found the human characters consistently negative and therefore didn't really care if they lived or died. For example, at the end of the first night, one of the major characters is believed to be dead. Did I care? Not really. As a matter of fact, it was several days before I got around to reading the second part of the script to find out if the character was actually dead. When I finished reading the entire script, I felt empty. There was no emotion. None. I just didn't care.
I had a similar reaction: it took me about 3hrs a piece to read Hatch's books: and I devoured them each in under 24hrs of getting them. Different story with Moore's script: was bored or annoyed by the dialog many places. the split screens make me nuts. A lot of Plot points make no sense to me. It took me forever to read the 2nd night of Moore's script: as in I didn't even want to pick it up: for weeks. Wouldn't have if there hadn't been the challenge to do our own rewrite. (still trying to work that out, I'd have to prequel: the characters just don't relate at all to the ones I know and the civilian ships are a little too large & swank for a culture that had been at war for so long and to have survived the holocaust (any big FTL ship should have been a target if your goal is exterminating all of man). And that's only the beginning of what I don't buy about night 1.)

I've not seen the trailer. But I'll trust the reactions I've heard, coupled with what I liked best about the books, now *those* had plot twists!
It would have rocked. (and I think that I heard one of the 1st times it was shown in public, 5,000 people gave it a 5min standing ovation. It's only 4.5 min. of trailer....Ovation longer than film: I think that is significant).

DeSanto's version: OK, Apollo missing categorically bugs me: residual damage from G-80, I'm sure. BUT: the scene that Scooter/KF2 leaked on the scifi bbd was wonderfully written, am more than interested. I want Singer & Desanto to put theirs out as a book / book series too. I can play it out in my mind: it's good mental exercise. And universal seems to fight the books less.

IMO: either Hatch's or Desanto's versions would have been awesome to see as full blown movies/minis. Moore's needs overhauled to even reside in the colonial universe. :uhdrop:
Old February 28th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #20
WCLPeter

Thumbs up The trailer, hands down...

I went to see Richard and Jack at Toronto Trek a few years ago. I couldn't exactly afford the trip as I wasn't working full time back then; but I'd heard about this mysterious "trailer" that Hatch was showing of his continuation idea for the show.

I had read the two books that were out back then, and was impressed. They were'nt the most insanley best books I'd ever read, but they were good. Better than I was expecting at any rate.

So, along with everyone else we waited for the trailer to start. It's hard to describe the feelings of seeing the first "new" Galactica I'd seen since I was a child sitting on my father's knee all those years ago back in the late 70's. It's like as if up on that screen was *everything* I'd wanted to see. I had *always* wondered as a child what happened after the show ended. I even went so far as to build construction paper models of Vipers and the Galactica herself and came up with my own continuation to the story. /* You'd be suprised at how useful spent paper towel rolls are for making landing bays. Or toilet paper rolls and construction paper for Vipers. */

The thing is, I didn't really get to see much of Richard's trailer the first time, because about half way through it got all fuzzy. Before I'd realized it, I was crying. Not just having a tear in my eye, happy at what I was seeing. It was full on blubbering crying, really crying. I wasn't the only one either, a few people sitting around me were crying too.

It was such an overwhealming thing to behold. Seeing exactly what I and everyone else in the room wanted to see. *EVERYONE* on their feet cheering, clapping, throwing fists into the air screaming out their joy. But also great sadness, because we knew that despite our best efforts to date, that great experience we all shared wasn't going to continue. They didn't want to do that kind of Galactica anymore.

They were obsessed with making a "Battlestar Dawson" or a raunchy "Battlestar: After Dark". They're *still* obsessed with making a show like that. Despite the fact that we keep telling them otherwise, over and over again.

As for the Ron Moore production, I've been reading. It's going to suck something fierce. It's not going to get anywhere near the numbers that the suits at Universal are expecting. Yet when it tanks, their going to be standing around scratching their heads wondering why. Or their going to use it as justification to just scrap the whole idea of doing anymore Galactica stories every again. The reasoning being if their "remake" which was designed for a wider audience failed to attract said audience, then a "continuation" for the few millions of worldwide fans won't do much better and will probably cost more.

Oh well.... now I want to cry for a different reason...

Pete...
Old February 28th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #21
LucianG
Warrior

Pete,

Welcome to CF! There are many similar stories of seeing the trailer for the first time, and many of us have been energized to get even more involved as a result. If you haven't already, be sure to put a letter in the mail to Barry Diller expressing most of what you've said here. At this point, every letter counts.

Lucian

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 11:40 AM   #22
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: The trailer, hands down...

Quote:
Originally posted by WCLPeter
Before I'd realized it, I was crying. Not just having a tear in my eye, happy at what I was seeing. It was full on blubbering crying, really crying.
Pete...
This is the description given by many fans who have seen this trailer. That's why those of us who haven't seen it envy you so. There is a petition you can sign asking Richard to release the trailer to the internet. He has his reasons for when he releases it and that's okay, the petition is just a reminder to let him know we're ready when he is. It's at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RH2002/petition.html

And welcome, Pete, I think you'll like it here.
Old March 1st, 2003, 04:21 PM   #23
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Welcome Pete! thanks for the great post and the description of what seeing the trailer was like.
Jewels (just another person who is living vicariously about that at the moment.)
Old March 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM   #24
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
*puts her gardening trowel back into the garden tool cart* The ground is snow-covered, I needed something to dig for......cabin fever, y'know. :z: The gardeners curse: the plant catalogs come out when the snow is still falling. hehehehehe.

Jewels, I just bought one of those little garden shovels/trowels last night. But not for gardening -- it's for these dadratted dadblasted pigeons we have in abundance -- I need a scoop to clean out the poop from the rain gutters -- it's alot easier when it rains but it hasn't been raining --

I too would love to see the TSC trailer. Hey, release it on DVD with a short Hatch/Benedict interview and I'll buy 10 of 'em in case they wear out

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote