Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > New Twists On Old Episodes
Notices
New Twists On Old Episodes Share views on what changes you would make
if YOU were remaking the Original Series episodes

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Matador
Viper Pilot

Lightbulb Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Think there's any chance of Talking Glen Larson into remastering the original series with updated effects and all.

Paramount came out with a version of STAR Trek "Remastered"

They basically took the original episodes and updated them with new special effects and enhanced the footage.

I would love to be able to talk MR. Larson into doing this. Although I love the original series and special effects...
Could you imaging seeing way more Vipers, Raders, and lasers?

I think this would really help bring back the original to a new generation of viewers.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

As long as things retain the same "look", by which I mean the deatils of ships, planets, et al, then sure. But the rest, leave it as it is!!!
And yes, it just might help give a revival/continuation a boost.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Matador
Viper Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
As long as things retain the same "look", by which I mean the deatils of ships, planets, et al, then sure. But the rest, leave it as it is!!!
And yes, it just might help give a revival/continuation a boost.
Yes I agree, I would only want to see more ships and maybe some fancy camera angles... But I would not want to change anything else.

I liked the original feel of the show. I would totally keep the looks of the ships the same... Just more vipers, raders, and Lasers.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Excellent thread Matador. Its indeed something that ought to happen with news of their being a BSG movie in the pre-development somewhat. And for any such remastering to be given the Blu-Ray DVD treatment, with all the deleted scenes from all the episodes restored to their original broacasted scene placement etc.

But unlike Star Trek Remastered (and also the forgotten remastered 'Red Dwarf' episodes), hope its a more hands on approach that doesn't miss out on remastering the elements that sorely needs them. Such remastering efforts would also greatly benefit from have a 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound DTS track added to the potential Remastered DVD's of the classic series in this manner. I've always said if the fanbase were truly organised properly. That David Kerin's fanedits should be sent to Larson or whomever in charge, of the vast potential way these edits could be given a huge spruce up.

Only thing this efforts got going for it, is the news of the Bryan Singer BG movie thats in talks at Universal right now. When the original series DVD's came out in 2003, they were originally something that might not have happened at all at one stage. Jack Stauffer told me at the Birmingham convention in 2005 of how it was Universal's video department that got the ball rolling on the BSG DVD release and not Universal themselves who's right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing as he 'metaphored' it somewhat!

Yes, i think with an invested fan effort, one thats not driven to getting Universal to get a BSG movie going this time. Is to convince the suits (or uni's video department) that a Remstered Blu-Ray DVD release of the original series keyed in with the big screen film release of BG, would be a totally smart investment in the long run. i.e. movie merchandise to sell during the film's global box office run etc.

Other than that, if the studios don't listen to the fanbase. Fan efforts also provide us with how things could look if they took the time to give the original some CGI SFX's. I've got plans to join a fanedit community and make a few fanedits myself, but nothings for certain, only that i've got a few ideas i'd love to act on if i were to do so.

A fanedit of the Pilot episode, Living Legend, War Of The Gods and a compliation made of some G80 scenes/SFX footage, but made out to be; a 'final' BG What if episode after 'Hand Of God'. Also a DVD akin to the Star Wars: Deleted Magic, Building Empire and Returning To Jedi documentary series, based on the pilot (so much behind the scene stuff has materialised now, cos of the internet?!) etc.

When the movie gets going for real, then we'll see.

I really want it to happen. But it really better be a "hands on" effort though either through Universal Studios or a company given the task (via extended licensing) of remastering the BSG episodes for Blu-Ray, moreso than the Star Trek remastered ones were. Cos they missed out on so much potential stuff to remaster properly, don't get me wrong, they were good but also kinda flat and lacking somewhat too.

I'd also hope such a undertaking to digitally remaster BSG would also include the latest technologies. Cos even in a few years time, something else will be coming round the corner like (3D/holographic digital projection) and like regular DVD's, Blu-Ray might be seen as average or inferior in comparison. That probably not really likely just yet, but in the meantime thinking ahead helps doesn't it! For those unseen *bumps* in the road, so to speak.

Any thoughts on what i've said?

Laters

KJ
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Matador
Viper Pilot

Love the idea... I would love to see this happen. But not sure were to start. A Blue-Ray remastered would be an anwesome idea.

I think putting together a concept would not be too difficult if we can get anough fan based members to partisipate. Especially those of us that are into CG animation and wouldn't mind pitching in a few seens to bring together a descent short. One that could be shown to any of the bigwigs at Universal.
Sort of a mini commercial to pitch the idea.

Also an Idea that I had would be to extend the episodes, including some deleted scenes and so on. To lengthen the episodes... Sort of like cliff-hangers... Were each story does not have to be solved in an hour, but to help extend the story for the next week, type thing.
Maybe even film a few extra seens to fill in gaps or help extend scenes.

I love your ideas and hopefully we can see something start to happen. Just need to get some folks involved.

I hope this is the begning of something cool.

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
KJ
Strike Leader

Yeah it ought to happen. But no planning ever seems to come of it. But with a theatrical BSG film possibly on the way in a few years time. Doing this or getting somebody to do it for real, is the first big step.

Figured CFF could do another poster ad or magazine page advert for it, as i've suggested in the past. But this time send it to Universal themselves along with some fanedit example etc and a letter to Glen Larson or whomever weilds some real influence at the boardroom/studios.

I'd like to keep alot of the model shots but also have some really high grade CGI in there. I mean stuff that'll make the Star Trek Remastered CGI look amatuer-ish by comparison. Removed the stock footage of SFX effects, and make minor subtle changes to certain things. Also colour-correct and enhance some of the film stock of the original footage, and give it a digital makeover, classic BSG also needs alot of the colour restored, even on the 2003 DVD's, the colour of somethings looks way washed out, it'll need a serious spruce up in a good 35% to 40% percent of the episodes.

The starfields could really be enhanced too, rather than have bland black space all the time. I'd also like to see some digital changes to existing things from the original that a remastered series, could greatly increase and update. I'd like to see the Galactica and Pegasus touched upon when it comes down to Living Legend episode for example. And have each Battlestar be similar yet different with several CGI touch-ups. Have the big 'G' be a 'darker grey' while Cain's ship is an older lighter tan-ish colour, and have a perfect CGI recreation of the Pegasus do flyby's and beauti-shots near and around the Galactica (original model and 'CGI mesh' etc?).

Same goes for the pilot and the 5 flying Battlestars, during the 'Battle Of Cimtar'!

There's just so much that could be done with this old series, and so much to benefit from it, if it were to be done tomorrow!

Yeah. But how to go about it is another challenge in itself.

KJ
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

For a remastered BSG series to be done right!

You'd need alot of Macs with tons of processing power. And not done on PC's, like fanedits have been. For a professional job like this you'd also need the latest tech out there too.

KJ
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Isn't this a fine example of what we're talking about!

http://www.space2099.tv/video/03_futurepast_f8.htm

Damn.

KJ
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #9
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason View Post
For a remastered BSG series to be done right!

You'd need alot of Macs with tons of processing power. And not done on PC's, like fanedits have been. For a professional job like this you'd also need the latest tech out there too.

KJ

Respectfully, MACs or PCs don't matter in this case. Its partly the software and mostly the talent of the people doing the job. Macs have a small advantage in industry work because of interoperability but they offer ZERO advantage of how good the final product will be.

Russell
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

I would love to see a remastering of the original series, with the effects redone, but still keeping the look and style of the 1978 production abilities. If we suddenly go to effects that look like something from today that will really stand out against the feel of the entire production. I think the remastered TOS Trek did a good job of keeping the effects looking like they fit with the time period of the series production. If it became too slick it would not fit with the rest of the look of the series. At least in my opinion.

The edits I put together were for fun and hopefully show some idea of what could be done, but they are far from the professional approach that could be taken. A skilled FX facility and the time to focus on the project could do wonders.

I have to state as well that the MAC does not matter over a PC (or vice-versa) in any way what so ever in these sort of things. The software and mainly the artist are what brings the quality.

Back on the subject... if a movie does come about, and makes tons of $$$$, then maybe Universal would look at a remastering of the original series. Time will tell.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #11
KJ
Strike Leader

Guess i should've pointed out my opinion better, but i mean that Macs are a favorite tool in the film industry by production/FX suits etc. Not that PC's are ignored mind you. But i did touch on the software part by stating/saying new tech, etc!

And of course it comes down to the talent behind it all.

But i figured, when the BSG film in current production for real (which is miles/years off). Universal could save a lot of necessary time by undertaking such a venture, like remastering the 78 series, and put it on Blu-Ray. Both the original series and have a remastered new version on there as well. Couple of documentaries going into the remastering process, intereviews with Larson and co etc.

If the new BSG movie made and still fails somehow (ala Superman Returns), at least the newly remastered BSG classic series would be available for old fans and a new generation to enjoy!

I just keep thinking back to how Singer doing Superman Returns allowed Warners to say yes to putting out the 'Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut'. Smart thinking allowed the lost cut to be put together (rather poorly in a way) but get out to the commercial market and "S" fans. Same thing could happen should the Galactica theatrical movie get underway in a year or two, with alot of steam!

Let one BSG project venture, support the other Blu-Ray DVD related one. Seeing as they have similar end goals.

Think many examples should be used to sell the idea to Universal right now! And tell'em all that, money needs to be spend, in order to make alot more of it back. Everything from your Fanedits DK to this fantastic 'Space 2099' fanedited re-invention, could be used as a selling point in retropect. CFF should seriously consider campaigning for it, when the Singer BSG movie gets going.

Far as CGI being too much distraction. I'd hope not, but i can't lie to you guys, i'd still want to see a high-end SE remastering of classic BSG though. Think Adywan's Star Wars re-edits are a prime example of the right balance being struck, of plenty digital effects and touchups, blended with the same model SFX's taking centre stage.

Excellent discussions. Laters gentlemen!

KJ

P.S. Make this thread a **sticky** please!
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Matador
Viper Pilot

I think the ticket would be to get something to Mr. Larson. I feel that if he saw something... Just a sample of what can be done... I think he may be able to get his people together and would see the marketing value of it all.

Personally I don't really care if it is done on PC or mac. My 3d animation programs are on PC and I think if we can get some artists together to work on different parts, etc... As long as we can import and export so that we can share the work, this would be a big help with the process. Someone to focus on battlestar and cylon baseships, one to focus on vipers, and one to work on enhancing the star field would be a great start.
This link discuss some of the programs used for series Firefly.
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/dc...nside_firefly/

Is there anyplace that I can get pictures of all four sides of Galactica. Front, side, top, bottom, etc.
I would like to start modeling something.

I think if we could just get a short, that shows enhanced footage of the cylon attack on Caprica, the fleet, and the chase scene with Apollo and his brother, then send it to Larson and have to show at conventions. I think that would be a great start
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

I can't believe the twisted plot bunny that just sprang into my head.

What if, instead of coming back empty handed from his journed through space, Superman were to meet up with and make friends with the Colonials?

In the Superman mythos, the planet Krypton was settled over thirty thousand years ago by two stranded humanoids, named Kryp and Ton, male and female respectively.

Is it at all possible that they were descendants of Kobol too? Or of Parnassus?

It took them thirty thousand or more years to adapt to living under the conditions of a red sun and monster gravity, to the point where they developed a truly dense molecular structure, optic mutations (heat and x-ray vision and all that neat stuff), flying (defying gravity), etc.

I'm too lazy to do more than come up with the idea, but if someone wants to borrow it and write a fic, you have my blessings.
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #14
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I think the ticket would be to get something to Mr. Larson. I feel that if he saw something... Just a sample of what can be done... I think he may be able to get his people together and would see the marketing value of it all.

Personally I don't really care if it is done on PC or mac. My 3d animation programs are on PC and I think if we can get some artists together to work on different parts, etc... As long as we can import and export so that we can share the work, this would be a big help with the process. Someone to focus on battlestar and cylon baseships, one to focus on vipers, and one to work on enhancing the star field would be a great start.
This link discuss some of the programs used for series Firefly.
http://digitalcontentproducer.com/dc...nside_firefly/

Is there anyplace that I can get pictures of all four sides of Galactica. Front, side, top, bottom, etc.
I would like to start modeling something.

I think if we could just get a short, that shows enhanced footage of the cylon attack on Caprica, the fleet, and the chase scene with Apollo and his brother, then send it to Larson and have to show at conventions. I think that would be a great start
While it couldn't hurt to get Mr. Larson on board this idea, he does not have decision-making authority on this. NBC/Universal does. I think the movie might give them the incentive to consider such a thing, though, particularly if this would fit in the marketing of it.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #15
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Does anyone have contact/address information for Glen Larson? The thought passed through my brain a couple times to send him copies of the fan edits, even as a thank you for the inspiration. Not sure if it would do anything toward a serious attempt at such a thing, but I don't think it would hurt anything. I of course would stress this was all for fan enjoyment and never in any way was money taken for this, or any claim to copyright... yada yada yada.

Let me know what you all think... would it be a good idea to send him copies?
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #16
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
While it couldn't hurt to get Mr. Larson on board this idea, he does not have decision-making authority on this. NBC/Universal does.
Well like i said, a CFF campaign or sent examples by BSG Fandom to NBC/Universal department head (suit) with enough influence and power, who'd seriously consider taking steps to making it a reality.

Like i said also, Jack Stauffer told me and several fans years ago, it took bare time for the 2003 BSG DVD's to get going. That they ever got made and put out there commerically, is a small miracle in itself! Especially all those extras it received too, in comparison to Larson's barebones Buck Rogers series released on DVD afterwards.

Looks like that path might be taken again, although......

Long as fandom's opportunity to make this happen is taken advantage of when the time's right as i've stated before. Or we'd be facing yet another uphill struggle after the movie and Universal gets fans badgering them for more BSG material to be made in the form of SE remastered Blu-Ray DVD's of the classic series. Kicking all those doors down to get the suits to listen, would be another mission once again. Can't see why once the Bryan Singer BSG film picks up, that several classic Galactica related projects (Remastered Series DVD's) wouldn't be the smartest move to make.

Only reason i keep making passonate suggestions like this, is to get everyone in agreement and onboard with a shared common interest we all want to see come true. Fandom can't operate on one "lone" individual by himself, can it?

KJ
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Does anyone have contact/address information for Glen Larson? The thought passed through my brain a couple times to send him copies of the fan edits, even as a thank you for the inspiration. Not sure if it would do anything toward a serious attempt at such a thing, but I don't think it would hurt anything. I of course would stress this was all for fan enjoyment and never in any way was money taken for this, or any claim to copyright... yada yada yada.

Let me know what you all think... would it be a good idea to send him copies?

Yep! Think so, it'll be a great idea. Adywan Star Wars edit, gotten out to several of the SW actors and crew i've heard as well as fans within the Hollywood circles etc.

Can't see why Larson shouldn't be given your BSG edits. They actually honor the classic series and its legacy, its a bonus that fans have beloved the original series after 30 plus years, not too many 1 season only television shows, can say the same thing, can they!

But you'd need to do some fancy BSG DVD covers for'em though! Presentation and everything would be killer, as to how great your package truly is!

Far as getting an official Remastered BSG series Blu-Ray HD-DVD's off the ground. If your serious, you need a thread/fourm of its own thus making it out to be something special and extraordinary. Allow it to be a forum where contacts are made and given to those who have industry, company hookups and whatnot, i.e. a place where fans can debate the DVD's content/extras with those who might be working on it (studio company) etc.

Larson being given the fanedited BSG DVD's might help if he take's an interest in his baby once again while doing the theatrical movie.

Far as the digital CGI being used in a professional level DVD SE project like this. It might not have to be, entirely all CGI added effects ala Star Trek Remastered?!

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=10898

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=15617

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=14879

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=15230

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=14832

Why not hire or get help from fans and modelers who have created replicas of the Galactica, Battlestars and Vipers of the original series. To use and put their models under the same or updated studio conditions/settings as the original was. And film all-new sequences for the SE remastered BSG DVD's, with actual models as well as CGI "mesh" replicas etc. With digital cameras and all their uses today with beauti-shots/passes etc. Creative new angles and model shots can be included in the SE of BSG with genuine models combined with the latest digital technology.

With a nameplate change, and you could easily have realistic model shots (no CGI) of all the Battlestars that were at Cimtar now! A newly-filmed formation shot of the 5 remaining Battlestars in the pilot etc, filmed with all-new angles and panning shots. And digital CGI shots would only compliment any newer filmed model shots in some respects, etc.

Just a thought.

Would be truly extraordinary. Costly too, but along those lines, a SE HD-DVD of BSG might turn heads and sell Blu-Ray DVD's of the classic series once again, by the bucket load. Universal should look at the sales of the previous DVD set and say its worth the gamble. And alot of the recent BSG footage (youtube) and whatnot, ought to be added in there as well.

Serious things to consider methinks!

So say we all?

KJ
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Matador
Viper Pilot

I'm really excited about all the interest in this.

I think using models is a great idea. Would save the time of modeling them in CG, unless someone has a fancy 3D scanner we can use to scan the models.

But we can totally greenscreen the models and then layer/composite them with the other ships and vipers. This will increase the dynamics.

Throw in a few more vipers and flybys.

It would be cool to have members from original cast. Can probably use them for voiceovers to help extend scenes or figure out a way to place them in background, such as the scenes from Kralon, or is it spelled Caralon.

We can include scene of the vipers taking off from the ground to attack the cyclons.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #19
KJ
Strike Leader

Figured as much, since many modelers have made near perfect replicas of the Galactica/Battlestar design in recent years, and put up tons of links to them online.

Can't see that, if properly organised. That a BSG remastered series couldn't be as big if not bigger than Star Trek Remastered.

Still i think the key to the whole thing, is when hopefully, the Bryan Singer Battlestar Galactica directed movie takes off. Thus, the fanbase would have the ammunition to make a big enough and quite logical case then!

Matador, seriously tell the mods to make your thread a sticky. When the times right, it could be done and taken far more seriously. Right now all we'd have going for us is getting everyone onboard such a plan, and seeing where the dots connect (theories etc?).

It'll come to pass soon. Fingers crossed!

KJ
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #20
KJ
Strike Leader

P.S.

Don't get me wrong. Think using the old filming techniques would be imployed to great effect still. Long as fans got organised and lent their models for filming scenes in the remastered BSG (a dream come true surely?). Combined however with current CGI digital effects, fixing editing goofs (of various episodes), removing the stock footage of old 1978 SFX (once seen, not repeated per se etc ), adding a 5.1 Surround Audio Track (A MUST), restoring the deleted scenes per episode (barring some, The Long Patrol? etc) cos their no need to consider commercial air time, cos these would be especially made for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray release!

Done like that, next to the theatrical film. Everyone would get a double bonus of BSG material finally done right!

KJ
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #21
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador
We can include scene of the vipers taking off from the ground to attack the cyclons.
Much like DK has done with his edits.

I can imagine retooling pre-existing scenes, where some SFX can be spruce up and made to be something different in a BSG SE.

For example; The Carillion scene where the Vipers take off to stop the cylons from attacking the Galactica. That scene on the planet with its matte paintings could be retooled, to be a scene during the Colonial Holocaust when the Cylons attack the 12 Colonies.

That scene from Carillion could be used. Touched up with today's effects to keep the Vipers, and modify the matte painting etc. To be a Colonial Military Base or Outpost, where one of the attacking Baseships takes out the installation. Models of Vipers could be used and seen taking off (as you've said) and newer effects could be blended to show them moving off trying/failing to counterattack the Cylon's onslaught, from there on in.

Depending on how big a remastered BG would be. Footage of reaction shots from stand-ins playing roles in the SE, might even be used for close-ups?

No lack of imagination from us is there!

KJ
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM   #22
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

For a remastering I would not want all CGI replacing the originals, because those models and the work done was just beautiful. I think mixing and laying in more elements (but not going overboard like Lucas) would be a nice touch. A blend of original with properly matched CGI.

As for new shots being done with physical models, that would be great to see, but the expense of lighting, shooting and compositing a model with a motion control camera setup would probably be too expensive for the studio to actually consider. For the Star Trek TOS enhanced versions it would have been amazing to have a full scale model of the original Enterprise used, but the cost to do those shots right would be too much compared to the CGI... which can be expensive anyway. Though still more cost effective.

If it would be done, in whichever medium, I do think it is important that any new shots look like they properly mix with the style of the show and the time it was produced. I think the enhanced TOS Trek did a nice job of this.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM   #23
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I loved the show as it was, and to me, it should always be the same. I hate it when they go back and start tinkering around with the originals.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM   #24
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I loved the show as it was, and to me, it should always be the same. I hate it when they go back and start tinkering around with the originals.
I can completely understand that, even though I've done my own amount of tinkering. I don't mind it when things are added with the idea of what would they have done with the time and money... such as instead of reusing effects over and over what would they have put there.

When things are added/enhanced with a production, I still want the original to be there and not put aside like it doesn't matter anymore, as Lucas tried to ignore the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy after he sprayed his new effects all over them.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM   #25
KJ
Strike Leader

True. Which is why i think it could be done in the manner i described! Using models and CGI. Models as in, getting the new replicas to be filmed, yet also have the highly detailed 'CGI meshes' also be used. But not the complete elimination of the original SFX though? Just sprucing them up quality grade wise i.e. 'brightness & contrast' would do, along with some advanced editing decisions with today's tools.

Filming and compositing any new Models with motion control camera setups, might be expensive, i don't know the 'black books' and management wise, how thats done in the studio and how much it'll cost and calulated. Long as everything was worked out should any SE remastering be undertaken by Universal Studios and licensed out by them to a FX-firm/company that could handle the remastering assignment, should this thing be given a greenlight by the studios etc. Like everyone else. Have a list of things could could be given a fairly decent facelift in a BSG SE, that wouldn't harm or hurt what came before, but only improve upon the storytelling and convey the action/drama moreso.

Reckon it'll be easy enough outlining a list of necessary things that could be done using models and elements that'll be conceivably added via CGI.

All this can be further discussed, should this be made into an official HD-DVD Blu-Ray project by Universal! right now we have little to go on, since its topic that fasinates us, but nothing we can professionally do at such a high standard without a studio's backing nor resources.

KJ
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #26
KJ
Strike Leader

Is there anyways to get somebody from Universal to read this thread?

If they aren't listening over there, perhaps some of them need to come here then. In the age of the internet, i find it hard to imagine, all these studio suits who drive about in fancy cars and have a fast connection online on their laptops and computers in their offices. Don't log online to internet forums, to check up on what people would really want if you gave it to them.

I don't believe that they have this rumored "belief", that you can't if your a suit/studio exec neither! Thinking it'll influence their decision making?!

THE BSG FANBASE WOULD LOVE TO SEE: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA REMASTERED. On Blu-Ray DVD in 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound. As a special edition set for the 21st Century. You gave us the original series back in 2003 when we thought it'll never get a regular DVD release. That time has passed and it sold well! (and we were very greatful too).

In light of Star Trek Remastered and other sci-fi classics, this is the next logical step!

Make it happen and we will buy/double dip for TOS BSG on Blu-Ray.

IT MUST BE A REMASTERED SE handled properly by the studio though! Spend the money (even if a little expensive?) and you'll make it back guaranteed!!!

KJ
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #27
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

I think if this Bryan Singer version starts going through, and we see real development on it (which we've heard zilch since the Singer announcement), then maybe Universal would consider such a thing to build interest. Would it be with enhanced effects or just cleaned up video and audio for Bluray? Before the Singer movie comes out I could picture a cleaned up version. If the Singer movie comes out and is a huge hit showing faith to the original series, then maybe something more would happen with enhanced visuals.

Before the Singer movie I would honestly be surprised, or amazed, that Universal would budget real money for enhanced TOS Galactica. I think it would be great, but Universal has never treated TOS Galactica with respect. The only decent thing to come out from them was the TOS series DVD set and the bounty of extras, which Universal stopped doing for any other series they put out because it costs a little bit of money. If BSG was not the first of the Universal TV series DVD sets produced it would never have had the extras, documentary or commentary. Look at Buck Rogers or Galactica 1980... there are no deleted scenes stored away somewhere?

Maybe I'm just in an oddly negative mood or something right now... and maybe Universal will surprise us and give the old girl some respect.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #28
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
I think if this Bryan Singer version starts going through, and we see real development on it (which we've heard zilch since the Singer announcement), then maybe Universal would consider such a thing to build interest.
Agreed! I see it exactly the same way.

And don't worry your not in a overly negative mood. Just overly realistic i think.

If this isn't going to be a *sticky* anytime soon, then it ought to be a CFF prioritised movement when the time is right i.e. when the new BSG film totally becomes official through announcements and media related news events etc. A whole list of things fans can decide on would be noted reminder far as content goes.

But yes, long as the ammunition there (the BSG film being greenlit) then we could realistically vouch for this to happen. Still, would be nice doing a CFF style ad or poster with photoshopped art with pictures from your fanedits, could be used as examples of how this would pan out. And like the Star Trek Remastered boxset DVD's, a comparison between the original episode and remastered (albeit CGI from the fanedits) would be used to show how an official release would look.

We need something to truly stirr our imaginations until this does become a reality! BSG SE Remastered Series in HD-DVD Blu-Ray loaded with extras (plus the original 78' series) and any previously unreleased footage, i'm for it and its already got my vote!

KJ
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #29
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

>Cough!<

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/coolest-cgi/
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #30
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

That is really nice. Oh the possibilities of what can be done.