Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #541
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTux View Post
can't afford a Mac on a pastor's salary
I know what you mean, that is why I have a full time job while pastoring in Chula Vista CA.
Linux, the next best thing...I use Linux servers on my sites I own and manage. I have way less trouble with them...in fact I have never had an issue in the 5 years using Linux...hmmm.

oops this is about the new movie...
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #542
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

LSF,

I don't know where you got the idea that I somehow singled you out....so stop playing the "self-persecuted martyr for TOS".

And for the record, you DO NOT dictate to a mod how or what to say. I mentioned the rules, and condemned the notion that the berating of TNS fans was going on unchecked.

You wanna leave all huffy puffy........there's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out. Frankly, I don't give a flying frak.

BTW, slamming of production staff of the new Battlestar Galactica constitutes the same extension as slamming the fans. Basically, when the new ground rules were laid a few years ago regarding conduct and discussion pertaining to the new Battlestar Galactica, the rules were no discussion of the show....that meant praising or slamming, of the show, its fans, its productions staff, their families, and anyone or anything connected to it. The only discussion permitted pertaining to TNS was fanart based upon the show, and then at that, discussion was to be limited to the techniques and technical aspects of said fanart.

To put it simply:

Celebrate the possible production of the new (original series based) movie. I'm all fired up about it if the rumors prove to be true. However, in the process of celebrating, there need be no berating of new series Galactica fans, production staff, or anyone connected to that show in any way shape or form.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #543
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
Oh man...Tux you beat me to it! LOL! The problem is near-perfection trying to work in a PC environment...hee hee ::Kronus now ducks::

LSF - Dude, most of us here knew a lot of what you said was tongue in cheek, Martok was just reminding us to keep the topic from flaming the GINO, ah I mean TNS BSG fans.

This way things stay cool between us all...we should be thankful that BSG is being kept alive regardless...although I really like KJ's version the best...I nearly fractured a rib!

Woo Hoo, movie movie movie!
I get that Kronus. I wasn't trying to offend, insult, spindle, fold or mutilate any Fans, tns or otherwise. I just didn't realize that poking at the higher ups at the Production was also illegal.

As such, I was out of line.

It's probably better I just keep my opinions to myself.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #544
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
LSF,

I don't know where you got the idea that I somehow singled you out....so stop playing the "self-persecuted martyr for TOS".

And for the record, you DO NOT dictate to a mod how or what to say. I mentioned the rules, and condemned the notion that the berating of TNS fans was going on unchecked.

You wanna leave all huffy puffy........there's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out. Frankly, I don't give a flying frak.

BTW, slamming of production staff of the new Battlestar Galactica constitutes the same extension as slamming the fans. Basically, when the new ground rules were laid a few years ago regarding conduct and discussion pertaining to the new Battlestar Galactica, the rules were no discussion of the show....that meant praising or slamming, of the show, its fans, its productions staff, their families, and anyone or anything connected to it. The only discussion permitted pertaining to TNS was fanart based upon the show, and then at that, discussion was to be limited to the techniques and technical aspects of said fanart.

To put it simply:

Celebrate the possible production of the new (original series based) movie. I'm all fired up about it if the rumors prove to be true. However, in the process of celebrating, there need be no berating of new series Galactica fans, production staff, or anyone connected to that show in any way shape or form.
Feel Free to Delete me then Martok
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #545
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStarFyre View Post
It's probably better I just keep my opinions to myself.
Well just keep your opinions within the CF standards that have been laid out...it is a good rule. Keeping good relations with everyone when it comes to BSG (regardless which version you swear by) it is the best solution and getting excited about the new movie...the one we have been hoping for...a hopeful Original style or story...man this is just sooo great!

We don't need to mention the "other" group...cause no matter how you word it someone will get all bent.

And don't let the Klingon/BSG moderator muscle you out of here...he is correct about what we should avoid saying, he's just doing his job even if his bedside manner needs adjusting...

Woo Hoo! We are getting our movie!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #546
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStarFyre View Post
Feel Free to Delete me then Martok
That power does not lie with me, LSF. I am not so blessed by the gods.

Kronos, keeping a very cool head, put it best, and I agree.

To clarify:

There are rules in place here....I know it cramps a lot of haters' styles, but we put those rules in place to keep the peace. I put my foot down to enforce the rule. That you took it solely directed toward yourself is something you have to deal with within yourself. I made a general message to put a stop to a conversation that could potentially spin out of control.

The thing is, there are still new Battlestar Galactica fans here, and the last thing we'd need is for one of them to get the wrong impression of the opinions you (or anyone else) had made before. The last thing I want to see is a furball start over a TV show.

And yes, I've had to stop favorable discussion of TNS as well as slammings....so it isn't easy being a fence-rider.
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #547
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
Well just keep your opinions within the CF standards that have been laid out...it is a good rule. Keeping good relations with everyone when it comes to BSG (regardless which version you swear by) it is the best solution and getting excited about the new movie...the one we have been hoping for...a hopeful Original style or story...man this is just sooo great!

We don't need to mention the "other" group...cause no matter how you word it someone will get all bent.

And don't let the Klingon/BSG moderator muscle you out of here...he is correct about what we should avoid saying, he's just doing his job even if his bedside manner needs adjusting...

Woo Hoo! We are getting our movie!
Well put, Kronos.

As for my bedside manner needing adjusting...have you seen my mallet?

I have no intention of muscling anyone out though...even LSF. I just didn't appreciate him taking a moderator to task for enforcing the rules. LSF, as any fan, original or new, is welcome to remain here, as long as they observe the rules.

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #548
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

My Mac's just grossly in need of updating. An old OS that I need to upgrade ASAP—just to make the internet run smoothly.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #549
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Kronus my friend, I think you habve a serious case of the Happies!!!! not that I don't either, I'm just a little more guarded in my hopes and thoughts for the new movie.

Until I hear an official announcement that The original stars have reported for wardrobe fittings and Have an idea of the Story, I'm going to be a little more careful as to when I pop the corks

Other then that, I'm still ready to attend these parties

As a technical note, Would it be ok to stop refering to the Moore Production as "New Battlestar"? With the announcment of this movie, I'd argue that this is the NEW Battlestar. I just don't think TNS is accurate anymore. I've been trying to consistantly refer to the last TV Series as the Moore Battlestar. Just tryint to keep everything sorted in case the movie does turn out to be a third, different incarnation.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #550
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Kronus my friend, I think you habve a serious case of the Happies!!!! not that I don't either, I'm just a little more guarded in my hopes and thoughts for the new movie.

Until I hear an official announcement that The original stars have reported for wardrobe fittings and Have an idea of the Story, I'm going to be a little more careful as to when I pop the corks

Other then that, I'm still ready to attend these parties

As a technical note, Would it be ok to stop refering to the Moore Production as "New Battlestar"? With the announcment of this movie, I'd argue that this is the NEW Battlestar. I just don't think TNS is accurate anymore. I've been trying to consistantly refer to the last TV Series as the Moore Battlestar. Just tryint to keep everything sorted in case the movie does turn out to be a third, different incarnation.
An interesting technicality you point out, Reaper. LOL!

However, any further discussion or mention of the Moore production should henceforth be vorbotten, as per the rules. Let's just focus on the (possibly) upcoming movie based on (possibly) the original series.
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #551
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

that works too I'll stop referencing it

Now, back to what we Want out of this new movie!!!!!!!

Can you say continuation? lol (I said want, not what's definate )

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #552
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Steve,

As a friend speaking among friends, ... I think you're being a wee bit hypersensitive here. I supported the no-GINO allowed rule when it came about but think its important to understand the context. GINO was flaunting a military rape and that, and similar repulsive material was being loudly praised by its fans. Some of those fans, including what we now know were a slew of sock puppets, were engaged in a militant assault against any and all original series fans on Fleets, a site set up by original series fans and seen as something of a safe harbor by its long-term members and founders.

Things were ugly and a lot of anger was churned up all around. For those who long supported Fleets, the place had become akin to a fascist dictatorship. Everyone agreed things had to change.

They did.

I'd suggest that the conversations here are appropriate. Fan reactions to the news of this thread is an on-topic discussion, whether those reactions are by GINO fans or others. Certainly, given the way the GINO fans have regarded us, any "told you so" reactions have been incredibly lame in my opinion.

I am admittedly skewed because as reasonable as I like to think I am, watching GINO get flushed down the sewer does bring a smile on my face. Its a personal enjoyment that I try not to shove in anyone else's face but I also don't think that places me on the same level as Ted Gorospe, ... and sincerely, your response to LSF seems to indicate that its not far off from that.

I'd also go as far as to suggest that the mods might want to reconsider the no-GINO rule at this point in history with the provision that being an obvnoxious moron or whining about others who don't like your flavor of the week is ruled out. I only offer that as a suggestion for behind the scenes discussion but in some ways, the rule seems to be more harmful than helpful at this point in history. My brief observation is that as soon as the money for sock puppets ran out, a majority of the GINO trolls (and subsequently the mass-anger) went away.

Since GINO is over and done with and part of history, like G1980, it may be time to discuss it as a piece of history, especially since, as noted, it may have a major influence on the upcoming film project.

If this seems to be too badly skewed for the original series fans, before you discount it, I ask you to consider that I'm the guy who put a bullet in the head of Cylon.org because one of the mods on this site was being abused for expressing support for GINO, so I arrogantly think I have some credibility to stand on for that reason alone if for no other.

Thank you for the consideration and all my best to all,

Russell
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #553
KJ
Strike Leader

Hi people, passing through again.

Hmmm, still no sign of BSG being seen anywhere's on 'E' Entertainment! For all the news out there, its mainly Internet and Satellite/Cable text pages and whatnot etc, but nothing's come in so far as someone reporting it outright on the entertainment channels or programmes yet!

I'lll have to get probably a few sci-fi magazines come September and see whats up then though.

Captain Tux

Yeah we know each other from a few years going back. You had the lovable Linux Penguin as an 'Avatar' right? (no not the upcoming movie, the computer thingy?)

Nice to see you kicking about on here! We'll talk soon in the future hopefully now that you're back.

TwoBrainedCylon how's things for you too.

KJ
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #554
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Russell,

As always, you speak wisely, and I certainly do feel a bit lesser for having reacted the way I did.

I know though that deep down inside, those folks who absolutely abhorred Moore's production will not regard it as a part of history, except to say that they think it is the worst part of history in the 30 years of Battlestar Galactica, and that all that will happen is more bashing of Moore's production, and thus continuing to make new series fans (such as myself) feel extremely unwelcome here. If they were to acknowledge it as a part of history as to say "this is how NOT to do Battlestar Galactica" (in their own humble opinions, of course), then that's one thing.....but I just know there will be a lot of "GINOid this", and "MooreRon that"...and I for one cannot and will not stomach it.

If the admins wish to re-think the noGINO rule here, well, that's within their prerogative. If it starts to turn into the debacle that I think it will, should the rule be rescinded, I'll be the first to leave. No huffy puffy. No special speeches. I'll just go.

Violating my own "foot down-putting" (LOL), I'll put all my cards on the table. I enjoyed Moore's show from start to finish....and outside of here I've made no secret of that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of TOS fans here who tend to lump all of us Moore production fans into this category of moral bankruptcy, so I have the feeling that should the rule be rescinded, those of us who simply enjoyed the show (regardless of whether or not we are also fans of the original series) will be the first ones with their heads on the virtual chopping blocks of those who've had nothing but a grudge since 2003.

Again, though, you do speak wisely as always, my friend. And it's always good to hear from you.

Respectfully,
Steve
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #555
monolith21
Squadron Leader

KJ...your sleeping Giant story is down right priceless! lol

Captain Tux...I like you man. Your post put a bit ol' smile on my face. The hope and community of this place keeps me coming back. I've made some great friends here and I'm looking forward to adding you to that list.

LSF, your opinions are always welcome with me my friend. A good discussion is a good discussion!

Steve, I can only imagine how you must be feeling. You're a fan of both worlds and I suppose that can get tough when both tolerate each other at the best of times (as it was so eloquently put earlier on in this thread).

Its tough taking the high ground. Right now we're getting called every name in the book. Its not just by the fans, but by these suppsed journalists. We don't exist...we don't matter...one of us was even called something in a forum I just read that would absolutely without a doubt reduce me to throwing punches if I had heard it used in the real world.

Not because it was about a television show...because it was downright unacceptable. Period. You just don't say things like that to people.

That said, I absolutely agree with you about taking that higher ground. We need to, especially out there in the public eye. Its important to have some kind of release valve though. I'm not sure what that can be if we cant vent here, but I think its worth exploring.

Here's the thing, I don't want to offend you. Its easy to get carried away when venting and forget that there are those here who are into both shows.

Asking us to hold ourselves to a higher standard is a good thing. The reality of that is rough though. When it comes to insulting "the other" fan base we're not even close to as bad as they are right now...they brought their "A" game and we're just suffering it in silence mostly.

That is a reality we're going to have to face whilst playing nicely. They've gotten my Irish up more than once and I am more than a little willing to play fair.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I feel that we need to be vocal right now, and that means suffering a hail storm of crap I can't believe in order to make ourselves heard.

If we want these writers who are making these announcements to change their tune a bit and indeed show we do want this to happen we gotta speak up.

I'm not gonna lie, I see those talk back sections where they are bashing us to bits and I get worried. If the powers that be get the feeling we don't exist they can derail this thing. That is a very real possibility.

If we make a show of force (forgive the expression, I mean that in the show our support kind of way) we just might be able to even the odds.

I don't blame THEM for being angry. In truth I think we all know how they feel. I think its good that they are feeling it. That is not being mean or vindictive. I think it will do this fandom some good to even things out a bit. Empathy is a good thing.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #556
KJ
Strike Leader

Same here, as Monolith said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith
KJ...your sleeping giant story is down right priceless! lol
Thanks

Got inspired by the artwork that had Dirk about to have his Balls cut off by you know who etc, that and DeSanto/Singer's 'Sleeping Giant' statement. Didn't mean any harm by it to anybody on here, its just that until this is in theaters, its probably going to be something that'll be revisited until then!

I'm free and allowing anyone to do their own version as well!

KJ
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #557
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I'd like to make a suggestion here...

If we really are folks that pride ourselves on taking the "high ground", then I think that everyone participating in this discussion should adopt that behavior and take things down a notch in terms of emotions. It is just a discussion and while generally speaking, talking about TNS is not permitted, but it seems such references to TNS that have been made are of the peripheral variety. That being said, I don't think that anyone meant anything injurious towards TNS fans, or anyone else.

Note to Steve: Just a personal observation, but your rather emotional moderation post felt like it came out of the blue. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, nor did you quote any of the perceived slights being made. I don't know why LSF took personal insult by anything other than the timing of your post in conjunction with his own. The rather terse exchange is probably something that should be taken off the board instead of forcing everyone else to witness it.

As for the rest of the discussion, why don't we stick to our own playground and not drag the disputes/discussions from other boards to this one. If I'm not mistaken, Fleets has a rule about not bringing troubles from other boards to this site.

Let's just focus on the topic of discussion and see what comes of it, eh?

Regards,

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #558
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTux View Post
I've spent a couple of hours reading this entire thread (not all in one sitting, mind you). I have to say that with everything that has transpired over almost 20 pages, I am more proud to be a BSG fan than ever. During these pages I have seen many things. Hope and optimism renewed at the exciting news of this movie with Larsan and Singer (still hoping for DeSanto). Yeah, I know we do not know what this movie will entail yet, but the hope that has sprung forth from this has accomplished a lot. Old faces have returned. Some fans are ready to tell the studios what they want again. Even if it does not accomplish anything, making your voice heard as a consumer and as a fan is always important. A call to build a bridge between the two fan bases as this movie comes. Honest frustration expressed by those who have done fan projects and felt alone, though not fuzzy feel good, provides us with the awareness that we need to support each other and our artistic expressions of Galactica. I think that awareness will strengthen the bonds that are built here. The call to commit to more focused projects as fans expressing our enthusiasm for BSG TOS. This again, gives energy, optimism, and hope.

Reading this thread was wonderful. It brought forth vision, dreams, frustrations, concerns, and hope. The most important thing that I saw happen in this thread was something else. Community and friendship.

We have a shared experience and there is passion behind that sharing once again. I hope we hang onto that no matter what becomes of the movie. There are stories to be told, art to be drawn, and more adventures for the characters of BSG, but they get to be told by us and shared with each other regardless of the movie.

Sorry for the rant, just good to see energy here again. Now, back to my armchair as I listen to the dreams and possibilities.
Captain Tux, lovely to see you my friend, once again docking with the Fleets!
I love what you say here, and I couldn't agree more. Indeed the heart of BSG continues within every one of us here that have formed a wonderful community and circle of friends of like-mindedness on a common ground and passion!
Ahhh the possibilities are infinite in the potential of new adventures and worlds, characters and thier lives of Battlestar!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #559
monolith21
Squadron Leader

The Siress Sarika has joined the thread! More good news. I tell ya I love this breaking news stuff just as much for who it brings back to the table aside from the news itself!

So when this movie does premier how many of you can I expect to see at the Chinese theater in Hollywood?

Wait...IMAX...I WANT TO SEE THIS IN IMAX!!! lol

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #560
KJ
Strike Leader

Don't we all!

Think with the latest technologies, the new film will do things the 1978 series could only dream of.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if John Dykstra was contacted by Singer and asked if he could do the new movie's effects. Now there's passionate thinking for you, along with some minor continuity!

Dykstra did the original, why can't he do the new version too! Think of the experience factor coming in the door, if it were possible to lure and sign him up for this production! Hey, BST & Gemini, is it possible you could hunt down and make that old thread of mine about the possible movie effects for a new BSG movie a *Sticky*. What does everyone else say?! Yes, no, too early?!

Discuss....

KJ
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #561
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Has classic Battlestar Galactica returned though?

It seems like a lot of fans are not really reading the reports and adding 2 and 2 and making 5.

The facts seems to be that Universal has approached Bryan Singer to direct and produce a Galactica feature film and that Glen A. Larson is also a producer.

That's it.

All the rest seems to be speculation. The reports do mention Singer's involvement in the defunct movie of the week for FOX, but there is no indication that he's going to return to that material, in fact the term "reimagination" shows up in reports and that could mean anything.

Stop putting the cart before the horse. This project is in development, a script hasn't been written yet. The development could take years and the project could be cancelled.

It's early days.
If it's a "reimagination" that's true to the original's heart and soul--and has solid writing to boot--I'll be more than happy. And from the moment I read this latest report, it was definitely on my mind that it may never see the light of day; I just prefer to be more optimistic about life and hope for the best.

Guess I'll just put both my cart and my horse back in my stable and keep my enthusiam to myself.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #562
Aphrodite
Socialator

I don't know if I want to go to Hollywood to see it, but IMAX would ROCK!! I'd see it anywhere they have a THX sound system, too. Going to Universal Studios to see it would be great as well.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #563
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Hey, welcome back, LSF! Saw you over at Sly-ly-fy recently, too.

Good to see Michael's still kicking, too - and all the rest of our old friends.

Man, this is good news, isn't it? The most positive thing that's come up in what, 6 years?

I, too, wonder what the next year or two will bring. Will it actually get made? Is Universal yanking our chain again? We know Singer is a fan - just check out the DeSanto interview over at Tombs - and wouldn't it be great if Tom winds up involved in this, too?

My own hope is a Next-Gen kind of treatment, with older characters mentoring the younger cast that is the main focus of the story line. But I'd probably be OK with a reboot ala Star Trek, too - as long as the universe remains BSG.

And KJ - didn't you see the sign? Don't feed the trolls.

I am
Dawg
Ah! NO! I hated Jean Luc "I surrender" Pickacard (Pat Stewart) and that camera hog weak chinned Jim Kirk want to be Wanker-er Ryker (Frakes). After the GBotG passed, the writing went to where Rick Berman should head soon. Bozo characters, forehead aliens and recycled time travel stories took the franchise into the

I don't want a repeat of what happened to Lost in Space and Star Trek.

Why do you think JJ Adams had to take a hammer to the reset button?
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #564
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica De-Imagined

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3019
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #565
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Somewhere I do recall making a post regarding the subject of --

Tolerance.

Did anyone read it??

That concept goes for more than just choice of lifestyle.

Think about it.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #566
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
I don't know if I want to go to Hollywood to see it, but IMAX would ROCK!! I'd see it anywhere they have a THX sound system, too. Going to Universal Studios to see it would be great as well.
Careful, Aphrodite. I think you might be experiencing Cart Before Horse Syndrome. According to Dr. Noble, we shouldn't get excited over anything but the facts, and there are no facts to support BG in IMAX.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #567
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Battlestar Galactica De-Imagined

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3019
From reading this article one is told the original was never a ratings success, while Moore's version was a huge success. It drives me insane to read articles where the information is barely researched. Or it is stated in the angle they prefer with knowledge that the majority of the people will not take the time to find out the truth, or even question the article's validity. And that goes not just for this article, but the 24/7 news, web, blogs, radio... everything. So much today is how you slant the story to sell your point of view, rather than presenting the solid facts.

Stepping off soap-box...
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #568
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Steve (and all but mostly Steve),

I'll confess I'm at a disadvantage to really understand some of your concerns. I've always thought those worried about the phrase GINO were childish and a bit emotionally flawed. Similarly, I've never grasped why some here take such offense to someone calling the original series "Cheesy". My likes and dislikes are based on ME and nobody else. I have a hard time relating to anyone who is worried about whether what they like is popular or not. This is skewed somewhat when it comes to ratings and films because the likes and dislikes of others impact whether or not I get to see more of what I like, but beyond that, who really cares?

That aspect of the fan wars has always been a mystery to me.

The articles that people reference claiming that GINO was a great success, was a failure, and all the rest are interesting but again, they're just someone's opinion, and like the sock puppets, an overwhelming number of them are generated media hype. However, I recognize that this touches the underlying difference between many of the fans here. A number have expressed their desire to "fight for" or "defend" their version/interpretation against … well, I'm still not sure what the real threat or goal is. You cite a valid example, in that you might personally be slandered because of what you like or dislike. I can respect that concern, both for having been such a target myself and also for having watched you getting bashed around in the manner you describe. That's unfortunate and it should never have happened.

Conversely, I think your implied expectations are probably unrealistic. Many (if not most) on this site will never accept GINO as a valid Galactica show and you can count me among that group. I also find much of the material the producers and many fans were so proud of to be personally repugnant. Its one thing to gain attention by putting a lampshade on your head but quite another to want to be considered as anything other than a joke when the party is over. For good, ill, or indifference, GINO has run its course and everyone's interpretation will be what it will, with folks like you seeing primarily positives and folks like me seeing primarily negatives. I doubt much of that will ever change. However, only the most intolerant moron would claim that GINO isn't part of Galactica's history. History is an accounting of what has happened not the standard of what something represents and in that is an important difference in my view. The history of the United States includes governmental orders to exterminate entire races of Indians but genocide doesn't represent what America is all about (outside of Hollywood's view anyway). For some, the same comparison applies here. To expect people who haven't warmed up to GINO over the past six years to decide it should be a respected addition is foolish, just as its foolish to expect that the bashers of the original series will suddenly decide it has a remarkably higher quality because of a new film. If the new film is a smash, we'll read endless accounts of how Singer took the silly show from the 70s and turned it into gold. That's just how things are.

… which is why I caveated my suggestion with the clause that anyone acting like a moron should be slapped. Its not the preferences that's the issue but the way they're handled, … or perhaps its better to say the desire some have to change how another person thinks and feels. Its appropriate to say "I like this" and "I don't like this" and give the reasons why. It’s a completely different thing to then decide that the person you're conversing with needs to adopt your way of thinking. There's a political phrase attached to the Obama administration that says "First try the power of pursuasion and if that doesn't work, use the pursuasion of power". We've seen how well that works. I can't think of a single fan that was swayed into liking GINO because the studio said the old show was trash so you'd better embrace the new one.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but you should know that I won't be attacking you because you like a series I dislike. It should be obvious whose side I'll be on if someone else engages in such conduct. My observation is that I'm not certain its still in everyone's best interest to keep all voices silent because the town idiot might be among them, especially when the current membership is pretty well swept clean of known idiots.

If there's any words of wisdom in my senseless rant than please embrace them. If not, ignore them as you please.

As always, know that you have and retain my deepest respect.

All my best,

Russell
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #569
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

OPINION:
......I am not going to address Battlestar Galactica in what I discuss here. What I am going to discuss is an individual's right to a valid opinion, and why that opinion should not be the basis for personal attacks.
......Some of you know that I dislike the work of the method-less actor-Patrick Stewart. I made no bones about that. I thought he was a prancing over-actor ever since I saw him chew scenery on I Claudius. I told you that he never read a character right or that whatever one note interpretation he brought to a role was so one dimensional, that he positively could have been replaced by a cardboard cutout.
......Have I offended any Patrick Stewart fans? Good. Why are you offended? Is it because you feel that you have been personally insulted in some way? Why? You did nothing; or will say nothing except that you disagree. You may even call my opinion, the opinion of a pinhead. That's okay. Its my opinion, which I can defend to the utmost; because it happens to have a lot of truth, that some of you secretly must admit, behind it. My feelings are not hurt, because I understand that some people like things that are different from what I like. Some of what they like, that I dislike, may even have some merit: example; "Gray 17 is Missing". Some people like that episode of Babylon Five. I want to burn the original print. Some people don't understand why I like Lost in Space. You'd have to be a connoisseur of Forbidden Planet, Irwin Allen, and Johann David Weiss to understand why I am nuts about the Robot.
......Do you begin to understand, how I approach analysis, both from others' viewpoints, and from mine? I don't let it get personal, as regards the other critic (unless the other stoops to personal attacks he makes; that has nothing to do with why Patrick Stewart is; or is not, a piece of costumed furniture that mis-dresses a set and makes occasional acting noises. Have you ever see him hit a mark on time......ever?)
.......Humor is at the core of what I write, as some of you who've read my reviews elsewhere, are aware. If I see an actor in an episode, literally flushed down a CGI toilet (Skin Of Evil), as a warning to the cast to shut their yaps about the poor quality of writing, and the garbage lines they were given to spew, I say so. I will even tell you how the hack writer, who botched the script (Stefano), missed an opportunity to really write a good story, about the stupid waste that some routine decisions that an incompetent leader makes, can engender. TOS was good at showing that in story. (Bread and Circuses). ST/TND preached at you and didn't do a very good job of it. But what it did do, through incompetent outings like that one cited, was draw a world picture of a society and a certain starship Captain that needed removing with extreme prejudice from TV.
.......Its opinion. There is nothing personal about it. As such, I read this thread and want to tell all parties, that its only opinion. Shake hands and let's get down to discussing what Singer can, and should not try to do, as he creates HIS version of the Alligator. It will be his version, if he pulls it off, just as JJ Adams has resurrected Trek with HIS version. We just have to work within those parameters, and watch carefully, to see if and when the Singer vision unfolds what it reveals. Note that the Trekkers, both old and new series fans, were satisfied that Berman Drek was flushed as it needed to be flushed, and that we have new life in the Enterprise(TM) (Hope they redesign that bird; man is it ugly!). If the Trekkers can put their intramural fights aside; then let's do the same here. We are not that far apart, in that we want to see the Alligator head out in a new story. Let's unite on that and see what the future holds.

D.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #570
KJ
Strike Leader

DK how are ya, long time no see or chat!

Yeah that link you've put up i 100% agree.

One wonders why they're allowed to post up claptrap, if we were going that we'd have a whole set of injunctions and legal 'mumbo jumbo' against us all the time.

My question is, who did that art piece over there?

You know which one, is it new or some piece thats recently been found from previous revivals etc.

I've never seen it before.

KJ