Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old September 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Star Trek Anyone have any Star Fleet Battles memories?

I remember playing for many summers this wonderfull little game. It was in the days before computer games when we moved out tiny starships along hex grid boards and rolled the dice.

The bookeeping on every turn was horrendous. Especially if you have a fleet of ships. Allocating energy here and there. But you were in command of a starship!! And it was your strategy and manuevering against your friends!

I was just wondering if anyone remembered having any cool battles?

I remembered going up against my friend's starbase with my fleet of ships. A Federation dreadnought, four enterprise cruisers and 3 robot cargo ships. Normally a battle like this takes a few hours, but not this time. The starbase ignored my fleet and trained all its fire on my dreadnought. The shields collapsed. Heavy interior damage. The next turn the ship was going to be toast. So at the end of the turn I parked it next to the starbase andn detonated it at the start of the next turn. I followed it with a kamikaze attack from the cargo ships. There was so much damage that the cruisers didn't have to fire!!! BAAABOOOOM!

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default I played Star Fleet and Star Trek...

I played a couple of games of Task Force's Star Fleet Battles. Pretty complicated stuff...but good fun.

My fondest memories actually came from FASA's Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator, which played very much like Star Fleet Battles in most respects as far as ship movement and some weapons fire. But FASA'a Star Trek was much simpler.

I used to have TONS upon TONS of supplementary material for Star Trek SCS, including the much vaunted Starship Construction Manual, in which you could create new starships. A few friends and I had tweaked some of the numbers (using our best estimates) for Next Generation Starships.

We had invented advanced rules for some starship combat situations like "The Picard Maneuver" and the like. We even tried to adapt some stuff like drones, and other weaponry from SFB. To a small degree, it worked.

I remember having invented some true space terrors with my starship construction manual, including stats for an uprated Vor'Cha class Attack Cruiser...nasty starship, especially in formation combat.

Two of my fondest memories of Star Trek were using my developed "Kirk Class Battlecruiser." A Federation ship that made the Excelsior class look like a pleasure cruiser. We had an 18 ship (three sided) battle going on between the Feds, Klingons, and Romulans. My Kirk Class battlecruiser, the USS Lethality, destroyed a Romulan Battleship, and a Klingon Great Bird in one final shot. The Rom battleship was already structurally screwed, and I had managed to blast it to bits with a serious phaser barrage. The Klingon Great Bird was in two hexes of the exploding battleship...and the resultant explosion was enough to destroy the Great Bird. Meanwhile, the Lethality is just backpedaling away towards the extreme Federation side of the map...(we had put together about six maps to make up the board.)

My other fondest memory was when a friend and I were both running cloaked ships against each other. (He had a Romulan Warbird, I was using one of my uprated Vor'Cha's.) The game master broke out in a fit of laughter at one point, and neither of us could figure out why. When the game was finished (and both our ships actually ended up destroyed), the GM showed us what was so funny. At one point in the game, our two ships had passed each other in adjacent hexes while cloaked.

Now, the Star Trek gaming franchise seems to change hands faster than a hot 100 dollar bill. For a short time, Last Unicorn had the rights to do the game...and they had a killer system. Now, I think ST is done by Decipher.

And now, there is a Star Trek Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game due to come out in a year or so.

Thomas, did you ever play Star Trek Bridge Commander for the PC, now there was a fun game...if only it had a few more ships in the roster.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Star Trek

ah.no never did. I remember playing a game that I think was called Federation Wars, but that was another hex board game. I don't think I ever played any real Sar Trek video games since the ones that was in the arcades. There was also this oooold coin-op game with vector graphics that had an enterprise shaped ship against a triangular one. It wasnt officially trek but I enjoyed it alot. And of course I fed it lots of lunch money!

Oh that reminds me, your cloaked battle reminded me of this one I lost to a frriend. We were playing 4 Federation Heavy Cruisers vs my 4 cloaked Romulan Bird of Preys. he named one of his ships Enterprise. And I figured fine, he can play under the "legendary Commanders" rules. It didn't make much of a difference unless you were really lucky.

Well he came in in a tight formation. First thing I did was fly a cloaked ship in the center of his ships and self destructed. I WAS a romulan after all! BOOM! Severly damaged all four ships. The other three Birds tore up two more ships leaving just the "Enterprise". He turned tail and ran for the border. I caught up to him. His crippled ship wasn't going to make it out. So he turned and took out one of my Birds. And I destroyed the Enterprise.

BUT then that legendary commanders rule kicked in. It was something like a 1 out of 20 chance, but he got it. There might have been a secondary roll for effect. We looked up in the manual for what the outcome was.

Turned out Kirk did a last minute transporter beam over and took over one of my ships!

He did a fast turn, and rushed the border. My weapons depleted for the turn I could only follow helplessly as Kirk flew off the board to safety.

Yes. Kirk did it again! WE both had a good laugh at that!

Old September 15th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
ah.no never did. I remember playing a game that I think was called Federation Wars, but that was another hex board game. I don't think I ever played any real Sar Trek video games since the ones that was in the arcades. There was also this oooold coin-op game with vector graphics that had an enterprise shaped ship against a triangular one. It wasnt officially trek but I enjoyed it alot. And of course I fed it lots of lunch money!
Ah..I remember that game well. that was Space War. Came out in 1968 believe it or not...but I loved that game. It was close to a simulation vecause of all the buttons it had for controls.

Quote:
Oh that reminds me, your cloaked battle reminded me of this one I lost to a frriend. We were playing 4 Federation Heavy Cruisers vs my 4 cloaked Romulan Bird of Preys. he named one of his ships Enterprise. And I figured fine, he can play under the "legendary Commanders" rules. It didn't make much of a difference unless you were really lucky.

Well he came in in a tight formation. First thing I did was fly a cloaked ship in the center of his ships and self destructed. I WAS a romulan after all! BOOM! Severly damaged all four ships. The other three Birds tore up two more ships leaving just the "Enterprise". He turned tail and ran for the border. I caught up to him. His crippled ship wasn't going to make it out. So he turned and took out one of my Birds. And I destroyed the Enterprise.

BUT then that legendary commanders rule kicked in. It was something like a 1 out of 20 chance, but he got it. There might have been a secondary roll for effect. We looked up in the manual for what the outcome was.

Turned out Kirk did a last minute transporter beam over and took over one of my ships!

He did a fast turn, and rushed the border. My weapons depleted for the turn I could only follow helplessly as Kirk flew off the board to safety.

Yes. Kirk did it again! WE both had a good laugh at that!

Ugh....the Legendary Commanders rule. I feel ya though.

That sounded like a laugh riot battle. Would love to have sat in on that one.

Yes, I actually have a Coleco emulation of the Star Trek Arcade game on my PC. It's decent...but still nothing compared to the arcade version.

My friends and I actually had a Klingon invasion campaign happening in our FASA Star Trek battles. The Klingons actually penetrated to the heart of the Federation, and took it over. Q'apla!

Ah..the good ol' days of board sims.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

P.S. Tom, we gots ta chat it up some on YIM sometime. My YIM is genchang2112
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I would love to but I can't remember my stuuuupid password. Corection. Stupid ME cant remember his password.

I got ICQ and MSN though. Though I try to avoid MSN. I hate microsofts little "tricks".

Old September 15th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

but I'll be on the cylon chat tomorrow.

Old September 15th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

LOL! Thom,
I generally avoid ICQ. You can, of course, create a new Yahoo account...and use that for your YIM. I understand about Microsoft too. I've never used their messenger.

As for the Cylon chat. I cannot be there because I have to host Karaoke at that time.....aghhhhHHHH!!!!!

Well...wesa tink of somting!

Martok2112
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #8
Omega
Shuttle Pilot

I was never very good. I used to play with two friends, one of whom was a much better tactician. That, and my dad always thought it was completely unnecessary to be over at their house for more than 4 hours, so he was always making me come home before we were done.

But Star Fleet Command and SFC2 are pretty good. They're based on SFB, and you need the same skills at power management, just without the bookkeeping. I have both, but haven't played in a while. (SFC3 is much simpler and more action oriented; I haven't played it.)

Quote:
The bookeeping on every turn was horrendous.
Do these ring any bells?

"Impulse 8... Nobody moves. Any fire? [pause]
Impulse 9... Speed 8 moves. Any fire? [and on and on]
Impulse 32... Everybody moves! Any fire?"

"7... Cargo... Forward hull... Phaser (has to be one that can bear)..."
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

All too well do I remember the book keeping of SFB.

In FASA ST it was much simpler. You allocated power to speed, which the turn/fire phases were broken up into three phases.

If you had your Impulse set at 15, it would mean you could use 5 move points in phase one, five in phase two, and five in phase three.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh man... that stupid impulse chart!!!!

I think we were so annoyed at it we wrote a basic program that would input our ship speeds and tell us when to move. It was either an Apple II or a commodore Vic20.

Old September 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I remember playing for many summers this wonderfull little game. It was in the days before computer games when we moved out tiny starships along hex grid boards and rolled the dice.

The bookeeping on every turn was horrendous. Especially if you have a fleet of ships. Allocating energy here and there. But you were in command of a starship!! And it was your strategy and manuevering against your friends!

I was just wondering if anyone remembered having any cool battles?

I remembered going up against my friend's starbase with my fleet of ships. A Federation dreadnought, four enterprise cruisers and 3 robot cargo ships. Normally a battle like this takes a few hours, but not this time. The starbase ignored my fleet and trained all its fire on my dreadnought. The shields collapsed. Heavy interior damage. The next turn the ship was going to be toast. So at the end of the turn I parked it next to the starbase andn detonated it at the start of the next turn. I followed it with a kamikaze attack from the cargo ships. There was so much damage that the cruisers didn't have to fire!!! BAAABOOOOM!

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!
I loved that game My brother was angry that I bought it for myself; he tore it apart and refused to PAY for it or REPLACE IT. I got him back though
he never tore apart anything of mine again
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

That was bloody cruel! How were you two? And what did you do to him?

Old September 20th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #13
Omega
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
But Star Fleet Command and SFC2 are pretty good. They're based on SFB, and you need the same skills at power management, just without the bookkeeping. I have both, but haven't played in a while. (SFC3 is much simpler and more action oriented; I haven't played it.)
I should point out for anyone who doesn't know that SFC, SFC2, SFC3, and also Orion Pirates are PC games- I wasn't very clear on that point.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
That was bloody cruel! How were you two? And what did you do to him?

I was furious as I saved for weeks to come up with the money
to get the game .........HE LIED through his teeth and got away
scott free {or so he 'thought'} with what he had done and was
smiling all through out the day like the CAT that ate the canary.

When I made dinner that night all the steaks had Tenderizer in them .............................................except ONE .........and the brownies.......
ONE of them that was duelly marked with a tooth pick had a little
surprise ........ ........
in other words .......... a wonderful "GARLIC" flavor.................
JUST A HINT of Garlic Flavor actually

and HE could NEVER ............EVER Prove a THING
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #15
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Good for you!

Though I think he should still have bought you a new set.

Old September 21st, 2004, 12:41 AM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Shiningstar ,

Thy sense of vengeance is one I would never dare to want to invoke.

And I agree...the little bugger shoulda bought you a new SFB game. With interest!!!

Respectfully,
Martok2112