Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:01 PM   #151
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Those are so neat! Final fantasy was always my favorite!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM   #152
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I'd floated the idea of an anime style Galactica here a couple of times.
I think it is a great idea but i'd still remake it from the beginning tho to take advantage of the medium and some traditional anime spaceopera conventions.
Especially like a songbird character and involved story arc.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:09 PM   #153
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
...Especially like a songbird character and involved story arc.
"...stagefright...go way...this is my big day......"

Good to see you still alive!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:46 AM   #154
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Several thoughts that might or might not appeal :

If this were made, and Universal decided to put it out as bonus on a DVD, but wouldn't pay us anything - would we (both the fanbase and contributors) accept ?
"I would accept as long as we got the Credit (Speaking for myself that is)

Why not ask Tom DeSanto what his Animation storyline is, and ask to make him a concept trailer ? Prove DeSanto and the fanbase are united...
"There is a lot about this I don't know could you please post a link for me."

Why not, as a sign of democracy, come up with several ideas, and have a poll to allow members to decide the storyline and direction etc ?
"This is the idea i like the best and was trying to think of the best ways to do it.
A poll is the best way, anyone who wants to write a script or plot sends it to either repcisg or Martok who are acting as the Coordinators"
I have started my own story idea and will be sending it first few pages in a few days set after the HAND OF GOD.

Not wanting to cuase disputes - only intended as discussion points.....

Ernie these are the very ideas that are in my mind important when the time come we can open a new Thread for the stories to be read by all.
then we vote in a poll and the stories with the most fan votes or the top 3 (depending on how many stories we have) go through for deeper Consideration and discussion.

Ernie90125

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:56 AM   #155
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Thomas those images are sooo cool,

I went out yesterday and for the first time in years bought a drawing pad, pencils
pens etc, I got the WACOM tablet sometime ago and have started training with it.

Like most of us I have only so much time to commit a day, I have 2 hours , so i spend 1 hour working on my artistic skills and the rest in a story other area of training.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:05 AM   #156
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Sorry, Potemkin I don't have a link to anything about Tom DeSantos effort as all I know is what I have seen mentioned here at Fleets. But I doubt that any movie maker would turn down a free concept trailer which also shows the fanbase's support........

Tom, having looked at the images you provided and linked to, I have to say that the Final Fantasy stuff looks so much better than he ones that are or look like traditional animation.
It has a certain 21st Century newness about it. I'll go and download some movie samples of it when I am on broadband shortly...
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:07 AM   #157
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I have always wanted to contribute as a writer to a scifi project. As a child I used to write loads and wanted to be a writer. I would even stay in on my lunchbreak at school to finish a story I had begun in class.

Teachers got so sick of my fascination with space, they forced me against my will to read other books and do other things. But at the end of the year I was back to sci-fi and have ever since, and the teacher in question had a breakdown.... Guess I won that one !

When I 'grew up' I moved on and also becamse disillusioned by seeing so many similar storylines in sci-fi. Even now I'll watch a new episode of Stargate and be thinking to myself....yep seen it before in Star Trek : The Next Generation...........

I would like to contribute to this project, and will try my best to come up with something....
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:28 AM   #158
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would like to contribute to this project, and will try my best to come up with something....
great stuff ernie the more idea the better. I have a page and a half done

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:02 AM   #159
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

sounds like the writting staff is growing

Martok2112
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:27 AM   #160
repcisg
Bad Email Address

The writing staff is growing, the potential story lines are endless. As soon as they start to arrive I'll set them up on a web site so we can all see them. Be sure to include you real name so that you can receive credit for the idea.

If two post the same idea, the one who gets it to me first wins! That’s how the copyright system works.

Try to keep the initial idea short, under a thousand words. This will keep the collection short enough to read. We can discuses the potential of each and then look at fleshing them out.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:46 AM   #161
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Tom,

The screen shots of the Final Fantasy VII are along one of the lines I was thinking of for a CGI movie. I realize something like that may be a real stretch for us but, if we can find a way……

I’m looking at not just a fan film but at the potential for original works as well. There are a number of marketing venues we can look at. The one thing the Studios fear most is some upstart showing them how to do it better and making money at it.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM   #162
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Has a format been decided on yet?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:33 PM   #163
repcisg
Bad Email Address

No, not yet. this is the very early stage of the project. We need as much input as we can get at this point.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM   #164
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
No, not yet. this is the very early stage of the project. We need as much input as we can get at this point.
AWWWWWWWWWWW
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:55 PM   #165
gmd3d
Major

repcisg wrote:
Quote:
Try to keep the initial idea short, under a thousand words. This will keep the collection short enough to read. We can discuses the potential of each and then look at fleshing them out.
A thousand words ok I can do that since I have just completed my first chapter of a fanfic and that 2400 words so far.

A well I have wanted to do a fanfic for sometime might as well keep going and see what you all think

I also think I have had to many drink tonight soo good night all

Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM   #166
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Speakin of drinkin...looks like that is the order of the day for me tonight.

Rep, I am still tryin to think of some good ideas too, but it would probably help if at some point I were able to buy the boxed set. Hang in there.

Folks, cook up them ideas

Martok2112
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #167
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Jalopy racing any one?
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #168
bsg1fan1975
Major

sorry no racing for this turkey of any kind!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #169
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Final Fantasy looks great however I can't see NBC doing this for the life of me in primetime. In fact one doesn't even need to look to FF for BG anime when you can see it in the game. There are short movies inbetween gameplay. The movies looked great. Many of the concepts are the remnants of Desanto's Galactica series but with changes. Megas is the Cylon villain/spy that Apollo was to be in the mini and series to follow.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #170
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Final Fantasy looks great however I can't see NBC doing this for the life of me in primetime. In fact one doesn't even need to look to FF for BG anime when you can see it in the game. There are short movies inbetween gameplay. The movies looked great. Many of the concepts are the remnants of Desanto's Galactica series but with changes. Megas is the Cylon villain/spy that Apollo was to be in the mini and series to follow.
The character animations in the CG cutscenes of that game were pretty good...but the space scenes with the Galactica were just jaw dropping. I could literally see those kind of effects for either an animated series, or even somewhat on the big screen.

Respectfully,
martok2112
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #171
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
The character animations in the CG cutscenes of that game were pretty good...but the space scenes with the Galactica were just jaw dropping. I could literally see those kind of effects for either an animated series, or even somewhat on the big screen.

Respectfully,
martok2112

Yeah a Glen A Larson movie using cgi shots of the Big G, Vipers, Raiders, ect.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #172
bsg1fan1975
Major

sounds like something I would watch for sure.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #173
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Well, I guess I'll throw my two squadrons into the fray.

I think one problem with animation that persists in an American audience is the perception that 'cartoons' are for kids. This, to me is misconception. When movies were in their prime, even Citizen Kane was preceeded by a cartoon. And these cartoons, think Looney Tunes here, were meant to be seen by both children AND adults. When I was kid at laughed at Bugs Bunny telling the aborigine 'Nature Boy' Hasty Bananas. When I went to college and to took Spanish, I learned 'haste manana' meant 'see you tomorrow.' Took me 20 years to get that joke...

I think one reason anime is so successful is that the Japanese have a view that animation is just another way to tell a story. So a good and intricate story can be told in animation because adults can be the target audience. But enough about the genre, let's talk about the possiblities.

Some have mentioned the Animated Batman, Superman and Justice League series as examples of adult animation. One key ingredient in all of those were people who 1) knew and liked the subject matter and 2) were very enthused about the project. To have a BSG: The Animated Sereis (hereafter, BSG: TAS) I think that ingrediant is needed as well. Paul Dini and Bruce Tim know the history of DC comics very well. They consistently use elements from DC's past works. Luckily, there seems to be no shortage of volunteers for such duty...

There have been better episodes of any of the Dini/Tim series than any of the big-budget movies that have been made. I'd cite the animated Batman movies "Mask fo the Phantasm" and "Sub Zero" as example. Better than any of the Batman films, even the first one with Keaton. Mask of the Phantasm was about lost love, how people change and how you can't go back again. In a 'CARTOON'!?!?!? Where were those 'adult' issues in George Clooney ripping off Adam West? Or take the animated Superman episode "The Late Mr. Kent." Clark Kent is doing a story on a death row inmate who claims he's innocent. A crooked cop in involved, and in the process, he plants a bomb in Clark's car. The car goes over a cliff, and naturally, Superman emerges from the water. How does Superman keep an innocent man alive without revealing that he's Clark Kent to the world? If you get a chance, watch this episode. You won't even think it was a 22 minute cartoon. Jaw dropping ending, too...

BSG: TAS would need to pull in such elements as minor characters we've seen in the past. I'd pick Peter David to write the pilot, as he's very good at this kind of creativity. I'm a real critic of Star Trek: TNG, but in David's novels, he actually makes me care about those characters. (On a side note, when it was in production, I used to criticize TNG with "just because it's the best sci-fi on TV doesn't mean it's GOOD sci-fi...) I want the same attention to detail in an animated battelstar. Dini and Tim frequently throw out a bone to the fans, letting them know, 'Yes, we know you're out there and we know you're watching too.' In the Batman Beyond series, a good example was the use of the gun of Mr. Freeze to stop the liquid character Inque. I'd like to see an animated series that let's me know Agro ships, Gemenese freighters and Colonial Movers ships are all still around. Dini and Tim had enough faith in their work and their characters to do entire episode that only peripherally involved their main characters. Slam out a few episodes, and give one focusing on some minor characters. Salik or Omega for example. There are stories there too.

Well I've rambled enough. Great concept, Thomas. I hope it catches on...

Regards,

Gunstar Aries
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #174
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi all...

I'd like to publically post my idea for a animated Continuation. Hopefully this will stir debate and encourage others to post as well....making an animated feature is a strong idea if we all stick with it.

My idea is for a episode following on from the end of 'The Return of Starbuck'

Starbuck manages to rebuild Cy, using parts from the other Cylons. Cy remembers everything and his loyalty remains with Starbuck. They collect together their personal belongings, and use the Cylon Raider to fly away from the planet.

However, it is not long* before they are detected by the Cylon Basestar and their Raider is placed on autopilot to land. Realising that they have no choice, when they land in a hanger bay full of Cylons, Cy claiming that Starbuck is his prisioner.

The Basestar turns out to be the one commanded by Balter (Or Imperious Leader) and after a fruitless intergation, Starbuck is imprisoned. Time passes. Cy visits Starbuck from time to time to secretly keep him up to date, and over time Starbuck works on a plan to escape. Meanwhile the Basestar tracks and attacks the Galactica as part of the war.

A chance to escape arrives and Starbuck and Cy take it.... I leave this ending open-ended as it could lead into another animated episode...

Notes :

I placed a * in the story as it may be possible for Starbuck and Cy to have an adventure before being captured by the Cylons.

The reasons why I feel this should be a good candidate for a fan created animated adventure :

- Most people accept the episode 'The Return of Starbuck' as canon, so chronologically it is the last original BSG episode. In the CFF chat I asked Dirk if he felt that Starbuck's experiences in R.O.S. should affect his character when we see him in a Continuation - he agreed - so we have to get Starbuck back to the fleet sometime.

- One of the MAJOR factors in this storyline is that Starbuck is the only human character to be seen at length. Thomas has commented in this thread, and David Moss mentioned in a phone call, that creating CGI characters is the hardest part. This would reduce the amount of work needed to take our first tentative step forwards...

- Dirk has done voiceovers, and seems co-operative with fans, he may consider being a part of this ? The Cylon voice can easily be created with a software Vocoder (freely available)

- This story does nothing to contradict the storylines of other Continuations (as far as I am aware) and may tie quite nicely into the Second Coming. It is also unlikely that any future Continuation would contradict this storyline. They don't contradict us, and we don't contradict them - rubbing along quite nicely !!!!

- Starbuck is one of the most popular characters of the show and indeed sci-fi.

I will post any more thoughts as they occur to me. A lot of this storyline was thought about whilst also taking into account the practicalities of making this, remember we can always do more, but we need to get one to work first....

I welcome people to post their thoughts as well, including critical ones.....
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #175
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default A suitable animation style...

Hey everyonje -

I was watching Anime Unleashed on TechTV last night and they are showing the first episodes of Last Exile each night this week. The one thing that always strikes me about this particular show is that they use traditional anime for the characters, but also use 2D & 3D VFX for the rest of the anime. The effect is really breathtaking when you watch it. It's most impressive in the very early episodes!

If you get a chance, take a look at TechTV and take a look - don't pay so much attention to the story, but how the show is designed and presented. If you don't have TechTV on your cable, but happen to be e Netflix.com member, try renting the first disk, if nothing else, out of curiosity.

Personally, I loved the series so much when I first saw it on TV, I wound up going to Best Buy and buying each of the disks as they come out. The last disk is coming out in December - I can't wait!

Just a suggestion....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM   #176
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

I found this site that might be of intrest to the writer out there, have a look
http://www.scifiscripts.com/default.html

This site also has a number of intresting links.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM   #177
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

We could get the cast of Tiny Toons for the roles of the new generation. For the older roles the cast from Looney Toons would suffice.

Imperious Leader: Porky Pig.

Count Iblis: Daffy Duck.

Starbuck: Bugs Bunny.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM   #178
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Thumbs down

Kingfish, I'm SHOCKED at such a ridiculous post!!!!!!

Elmer should be Count Iblis!!!!!!! Yosemite Sam should be Baltar, and the 'Crusher' (who wrestled and boxed against Bugs) should be the Imperious Leader!!!

Seriously, (OK, not seriously) I like the idea, Cylons seem done, so here are my picks:

Adama - a tough one. Normally I'd say Bugs; he always wins, he's smart, he make his opponents look silly... Might have to think about this one, reconsider my pick for Apollo....

Bugs - Apollo (Bugs has the grace-under-pressure thing going)

Daffy-Starbuck (A foil for Bugs...)

Col. Tigh - Foghorn Leghorn ("Pay attention when I'm talkin' to you, boy!)+

Dr. Wilker - Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius...)

Jolly - Porky Pig

Greenbean - "Charlie" the dog

Boomer - "Dog" from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons

Giles - Chicken Hawk

Muffit - Mac & Tosh, the gophers....

My Looney Galactica pics.

Regards,

G A
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #179
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Wha t - no beavers?

Ops, sorry wrong thread.
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #180
gmd3d
Major

LOL

this is to much
I can just about see Yosemite Sam as Baltar.