Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Athena's (Maren Jensen) acting...

The scuttlebut since the beginning is that Maren Jensen was basically written out of the show since she could not act. OK, maybe she wasn't up to the caliber of the other stars, but to me, she seemed to handle her duties pretty decently. Certainly nothing to get her booted off the show. She was too important a part to do that to her character.

I want to know what you all think about her acting abilities?? Did she totally suck and the producers were right to get rid of her?? Or, did you think she did OK and got the shaft for some reason???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

You're looking to open a real can of worms, aren't you, Charybdis?

She was gorgeous, and I, for one, cannot imagine anyone else in the role of Athena. She was a major crush for a guy barely out of adolescence.

I stand in awe of those among us who met her then (there are one or two). I've always maintained that if she'd met me first, she never would have hooked up with a hack like Don Henley.

Yeah, right.

She was a neophyte to acting when she was cast in BSG. She had been a piece of scenery on a Hardy Boys episode (I recall the TV Guide interview where she related that she'd been stung on the behind when a jellyfish had gotten into her bikini - oh, the pictures it painted....), and had been spotted by one of the producers, who was working on BSG. If I recall correctly, she was cast as Athena without an audition.

I also recall comments made in years since by members of the cast, who said they worked with her on her acting skills, how receptive she was to thier help, etc., what a sweetheart she was.

And she had her moments. Who can forget the scene when she steam-cleans Starbuck?

There were moments, though, that made me think that the guy who cast her in the part had done so using his infamous Male Secondary Thinking Glands. And, in the few parts she took after BSG it was not her acting skills that were put on display.

Frankly, it's no wonder to me that she opted to disappear.

And that's a pity.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Maren's acting wasn't that bad. An actress/actor is only as good as the script they are given. Maren shined in the episode titled Fire In Space.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

I'll agree with that sentiment, Kingfish. That was one of the big problems with the entire series, the fact that ABC rushed it and didn't give them a chance to refine the writing and story development. It would have been much better had the original format been adhered to.

Regretfully, I did not feel Fire in Space was one of Maren's best moments. She did fine, but "Why, Boomer! What are you doing in the Rejuvination Center?" was delivered about as woodenly as you could get and still be breathing.

Do I fault her for that? Only in that she did not have the acting background the other actors did. I place at least as much blame on the writing and directing, and the pressure they had to get the thing filmed and to the network. Richard and Dirk (and, of course, Lorne Green) could pull it off - she didn't have the chops.

After BSG, she couldn't get cast in a really meaningful role because of that.

I'll need to re-watch when I get the DVDs, but the best, most memorable scene I remember is when she steam-cleans Starbuck - there was malice in her eye, and just the right amount of vengeance as she pushed that button - and exactly the right amount of satisfied amusement.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Well, compared to Laurette Spang, I would say Spang had the stronger abilities to manipulate her voice to express emotion. Though facially they did about the same. I think Anne Lockhart was probably marginally better than both in that she could deliver all her lines but at the same time add in a touch of vulnerability. But then the best one was Jane Seymour who's powerful performance in just 5 episodes made such an impression that you could feel her trace on Apollo and Boxy for te rest of the series. And it made the them more touching cause they had lost her.

But As for Maren Jensen, I agree that a few times she came off a little stiff. There was one or two wooden lines. But that was just a small part of her performance. The rest of her acting was very enjoyable.

I would also remind folks that there were only about 22 or so episodes. If you look at Star Trek Next Generation 1st season the acting was wooden and the writing often kinda emotionally detached. Patrick Stewart was very stiff. Also if you Look at Kirstie Alley, her performance on Star Trek was stiff. But she was incredibly good on Cheers.

I'm certain the lovely Maren Jensen would have fit into the role perfectly had the show progressed more than one season.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think she did a great job in that episode too King fish.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I think she handled her role rather well although, as it has been stated previously, there were a few situations where her delivery did seem a little stiff or forced. The scene that I'm thinking of is where Starbuck's Viper has no braking thrusters and is "coming in hot". Her appearance at the console and her lines "seemed" forced. They just didn't appear natural. Now, that's just a nitpick otherwise, I think she did a decent job.

I tend to liken Maren Jensen to Grace Lee Whitney, Yeoman Janice Rand of Star Trek fame. Both actresses had supporting roles and when called upon, handled themselves well. Time and storylines would have aided both in the development of their characters. Not much you can do in 10-15 eps.

BSt
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

I have often thought that MJ's acting was better than usually rated. To most of the critics who panned her I ask...when was the last time THEY acted in a Prime-Time network show? She needed more material, and the NitWerk suits just would not give her a chance. It wasn't fair to someone trying so hard.
As to her "coming in hot" scene, remember, she's just seen the Atlantia blown to bits, her brother killed, the Colonies destroyed, and is probably worried sick about her mother, all in one day. Starbuck as yet knows nothing about the Colonies. It's a wonder she wasn't a babbling basket case by then. Wooden? She was entitled.
Anybody know whatever happened to her?
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #9
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Senmut,

Remember there is a difference between a critique and being critical. I just critiqued her scene, that's all. No, I haven't acted in a production like BSG or anything else for that matter and I could do no better. Also, I do understand that she had no control over the lines that we given to her but, she just needed to relax the delivery a bit.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 14th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #10
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

The thing with acting is, you can get branded as a bad actor if you deliver 99 out of 100 lines perfectly. It's that one percent that can get you in trouble, though. Even Shatner usually only had two or three badly spoken lines an episode (occasionally more). Maren Jensen's average was probably more around 80 or 90%. There were a lot of lines where you snap back from the show and say to yourself, "She's reading lines."

Then again, bringing up Trek again, Sulu and Uhura couldn't act well either, which is why as soon as Chekov came aboard, he got all the good lines and got to go to down to all the planets while Sulu stood on the ship and counted numbers, which was what he was best at.

Back to Maren Jensen, do you realize she and Starbuck never even talked again after The Long Patrol, which was one of the very first episodes? She and Apollo barely spoke a dozen words to each other throughout the entire series. They had two brief exchanges, one in Lost Planet of the Gods when Apollo announced his engagement, and another one in The Long Patrol when Apollo mentioned that Starbuck would go to the head of the list for the Rising Star. They barely had any contact at all.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Hey, BST - see you made Warrior Ace. Congrats.

Senmut, my criticism of Maren's acting is the same as I would make for most of the supporting actors - not enough creative support, too much pressure from the network.

Having said that, remember what else I said - she was a newcomer to the craft. Lord knows I could not do it any better; I'm a writer, not an actor. But I am a viewer, and I know good acting when I see it. So do you. Our criteria may be slightly different (beauty in the eye of the beholder, and all that), but we all know it.

Unfortunately, Maren's performances did not often stick in my mind - and RGrant is right as to why. Don't get me wrong - she certainly stuck in my mind, and I can't really see anyone else in the role. It's sad that she never had the opportunity to really show if she had any talent, if she'd learned the acting craft, and I genuinely blame ABC for that. If only it had continued into a second season.

Her acting career was poisoned by that lack of opportunity. The perception became that she could not act, so the only roles she was offered were for parts that exploited her physicality, not her acting ability.

She has disappeared. Apparently, even Richard Hatch can't find her.

I certainly hope she's well and happy.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #12
Senmut
Strike Leader

I wasn't speaking of you guys. Not at all. I was referring to the TV "critics" at the time, who panned her along with the show. That's who I meant.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old August 15th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #13
LucianG
Warrior

Quote:
Also if you Look at Kirstie Alley, her performance on Star Trek was stiff. But she was incredibly good on Cheers.
Thomas, I think Kirstie's performance was supposed to be stiff. She was playing a Vulcan who was having trouble adjusting to working with humans. Robin Curtis, who took over the role of Saavik in ST III & briefly in IV, seemed to continue the same style.

As for Maren, continued acting lessons and the experience gained in additional episodes would probably have helped smoothe over any perceived rough acting spots.

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 05:44 AM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I agree with BST that at time Her performance came
off as being stiff but that's too be expected when
she had so LITTLE to work with. I also agree that
it would have helped her alot if the NETWORKS
would have given her a chance ........which they
refused too. Of course Laurette Sprang's performance
was better ........her SCRIPT was better.

There's an old saying that I know some actor type
people live by ........"even the BEST actor can't save
a bad SCRIPT" ........and while BSG in itself was a great
story ........Athena's part was never given it's due.
WIth only a couple of lines per episode she never
had a chance to prove herself.
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #15
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Interaction

Interesting about Athena not interacting with Starbuck or Apollo for the rest of the series. They are shown having dinner seated at Adama's table in a few episodes (the end of War of the Gods, for example) but you're right, Athena does not have any lines there.

However, in Greetings from Earth, there is a missing scene from the classroom where she is angry at Apollo for telling Boxey that the Terrans could be dangerous because of the germs they might carry. It is not seen in the syndicated version. I am amazed at all the great deleted scenes in these episodes and I can't wait to get the DVD's so I can see them all!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:11 AM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Chekov

They hired Walter Koenig for a number of reasons. The Monkees had just made their debut and were popular at the time. Look at Chekov's hairstyle. Also George Takei had taken a role in The Green Berets. The weather where they were shooting Berets was terrible and caused the filming to go on for a longer period of time. Takei missed most of the second season as a result.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #17
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

BOy I can't wait to see the deleted scenes I can't wait till
I can get the dvd! I didn't know about that scene!
Old August 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #18
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Thanks, Dawg, and congrats back at ya!

Senmut,

I'm glad we cleared that up, I was hoping not to be misunderstood about MJ. Actually, I did like her character and as the years passed, I thought her character could have been one that could blossom, on a continuation. Not just a movie or mini-series but, a full-fledged series which would have a better commitment than the one that the original got from ABC.

BST
Sleep now
They are calling

Old August 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #19
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I thought that Athena was ONE character that was never
given it's full potential.
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #20
Senmut
Strike Leader

Haud molestum est, BST. My sentences were a bit too clipped.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old August 15th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #21
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Some of her acting was horrendous, some of it barely acceptable and some of it okay. One of the worse acting displays was her head bobbing up and down trying to convey alarm as the raiders streamed closer to the Galactica and she explaimed unconvincingly, "There's nothing to stop them!" But even Lawrence Olivier flubbed lines at times. An actor needs a good director to spot the mistakes and direct them to do it better. Harrison Ford is my favorite actor, one of the most popular ans successful in the business today, and Annette Benning is an outstanding actress. Regarding Henry was a very good movie, but there were certain scenes in which both of their acting was less than their usual caliber. Who's fault is that? The director. It's his/her job to spot that and correct that. Maren Jensen may have had little talent as an actress and I don't believe she did, and the script may have been less than Oscar quality, but a good director would have gotten better reactions and delivery out of her. IMHO, of course.

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I hated when she did that too. But as you said it
was the job of the director to spot mistakes like that
then work with the actor or actress to correct it.

I think that since she was hired to do the part instead
of being pigeon holed she should have A) been given
the chance to do the job she was paid to do.
B) she should have been replaced with another
actress ......it's not as though other actresses
didn't exist then or now.

The point is she was never given the chance to
act in the first place. With the part she had there
was no room to act.
Old August 16th, 2003, 10:55 PM   #23
amberstar
Strike Leader

I think she was just a young actress thrown into a roll that did not give her the time to develop her character. Her acting wasn't all that bad, I just wish that she had been given more lines and a chance to grow.
I can't wait to get my DVD! I'ts like being a child again waiting for Santa to come!
Amberstar
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #24
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

actually, just Maren being Maren added something to the role. She has a sweet gentle charisma about her. And that gave alot to her character Athena.

One of the great things about the old series is the charisma of the original characters.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #25
amberstar
Strike Leader

Well said Conundrum! I think so too.
Amberstar
Old August 18th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Well said Conundrum. I agree with what you said
100%
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:31 PM   #27
Senmut
Strike Leader

Absolutely. Even baltar had a sick charisma about him, and John Colicos projected it well. MJ projected Athena's naive charisma too.
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #28
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Athena's (Maren Jensen) acting...

Any newer insights?
Old August 30th, 2018, 06:33 AM   #29
Jayworld
Warrior

Here's an article from 2014 stating that Maren Jensen suffered from Epstein-Barr syndrome which began to show itself during the filming of the BG series, which may help to explain a lot about her performances. If you google "Maren Jensen" with "Epstein-Barr" you'll find other sources as well....

http://www.chicagonow.com/mysteries-...-maren-jensen/
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

If true, I think GL owed her an apology.