Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #301
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
I'd also like to say how happy I am that there was even this particular thread that did as much to spark just a bit more interest in the original series and bring a few familiar faces back to CF to even ponder the possibility of a TOS-based project. Even if it doesn't come about, the spark of discussion is welcome and so are plenty of the ideas being talked about as well. Sometimes, we get so focused on the idea that if we start a petition, or writing campaign, or whatever kind of effort there is, we forget that it's not the end result that counts, but the effort itself. If someone spends hours of their lives creating a 1:1 replica of the filming model of the Galactica, are they expecting a film or TV deal to come of it? Frankly, I love seeing folks create art, fanfic, CGI, models, costumes or what have you. If nothing else, it tells me that they truly honor the original series and the memories it holds for them. It's easy to sit around and wait for someone else to do something big, but until then, do what you can to honor the original and be willing to show it off on a website, or a convention. It will remind people that there are folks out there like us that remember the original fondly and even thought it's been gone for 30 years, we still find new ways to show our devotion to it.

I would like to remind everyone of one thing though - remember how we used to complain about articles that trashed the orignal series when comparing it to the new series? Conversely, it doesn't really do us any favors if we sit around and trash the new series in comparison to our favorite version. We gave up that part of the discussion on this site many years ago, mostly because of the discourse that came of that type of discussion. I'd like to think of TOS BSG fans to be better than that and keep the focus of the discussion in our own backyard so to speak. If folks want to talk about Moore's series, then there's always Skiffy or a host of other sites to do that. Colonial Fleets has always been first and foremost a TOS-themed site and is likely not to change in the future.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the discussion and thanks for being the great folks you are for showing your devotion to a 30-year old show. Some might call it a "one season wonder", but it always holds a permanent place in my heart.

Bryan
Very Well said!
It's also holds a permanent place in my heart.
I would like to raise a toast to one of the finest sci-fi shows ever aired on TV.
Long Live TOS BSG!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #302
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I'm writing a script on what I would l like to see in a TOS BSG movie.
How about a fan made TOS BSG movie?
I've seen some fan made movies on YouTube that are really, really good.
Good idea?

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #303
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I love all the writing that is going on! Bring on the fan films! I might just go finish revising mine up!

I do hope we get some news soon, but I'm all for moving forward with the fun stuff. Bring on the costumes, the fan films, the fan fiction, fan edits, and fan conversations!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #304
newt
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Newt!

Welcome back!!

Dang it, it's been a long time.... regardless, it's good to see you again!

Thanks BST. I didn't even know if CF existed anymore...I'm glad to see it does and is in good hands

I don't know if it has been said before, but even the mere mention in the greater press that a possible movie based on the old series has elicited attention bodes well for the legacy that Galactica established so many years ago.

I also just recently saw TSC for he first time...last I had heard it couldn't be posted on line. I guess that has changed. Since I'm probably the last one here who had never seen it, let me just say I was floored.

Anyway, here's to imagining what could have been...and what still may be.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #305
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'll drink to that!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #306
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

http://knightrideronline.com/forum/v...f=1042&t=14120

Quote:
I'm going to state this one more time. The BSG motion picture WILL NOT be based on the Moore/Eick television version of Battlestar Galactica. It will be a re-imagining of the original classic series Glen created. This is what Glen has chosen to do with his motion picture rights
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #307
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I was waiting for that! First round is on me!

Okay I'll behave.
I'll behave only if you do Mark...()

BTW I LURVVVVVVVVVVVVVE what I'm reading here in the latest posts!

Sounds incredible! But will some of our original cast members have parts in such a re-imagined movie of the original series? Lords I hope they do!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #308
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm not sure where the whole "reimagining of the original" thing is coming from, but you're not the first one I've heard it from Sarika. That seems to be what everyone is assuming it is going to be but I'm not sure why. If we go on what we know of who is trying to get this thing made, they are all trying to do some form of continuation. I'll have to recheck, but I don't think the IGN article said anything about a re imagining. That is all fan generated as far as I can tell.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #309
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
I'm not sure where the whole "reimagining of the original" thing is coming from, but you're not the first one I've heard it from Sarika. That seems to be what everyone is assuming it is going to be but I'm not sure why. If we go on what we know of who is trying to get this thing made, they are all trying to do some form of continuation. I'll have to recheck, but I don't think the IGN article said anything about a re imagining. That is all fan generated as far as I can tell.
I also thought it was a "reimagining of the original".
It would be great it if was indeed a continuation.
I'd love to see the actors back from the original series in their original roles.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #310
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
I'll behave only if you do Mark...()

BTW I LURVVVVVVVVVVVVVE what I'm reading here in the latest posts!

Sounds incredible! But will some of our original cast members have parts in such a re-imagined movie of the original series? Lords I hope they do!
I hope the original cast members do have a part in it. They well deserve it.
May the Lords of Kobol will it!

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #311
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Thanks! for that link.

I also read this as well.
Quote:
Yes the article is true,

Both Knight Rider: The Motion Picture and Battlestar Galactica: The Motion Picture are in development by Glen. Knight Rider is further along at the moment. It is believed scripts for both projects will also be written by him and will involve multi-picture deals.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #312
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Better news, but no money yet.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #313
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Ohhhh...now where did I screw up this news?
Anyhoo, I would actually PREFER most DEFINATELY, that the movie be a true continuence not a re-imagining on TOS...(otherwise that would be rather daft, since a re-imagining version was already done, whether or not upon TOS)

The only continuence worth doing to satisfy fans world over, is the one we all hold in our hopeful vision of one, based on picking up from where TOS left off, not doing it all over again, when it was already done the first time and in a way that can never be done over again.

So I'm going to my onboard temple right now to light a million candles and pray to all the Lords of Kobol that our deep seated hopes of a continuence with original cast and tone and style, will be SO!
(is my uniform turning white????)

The Last Piscon Siress

Old March 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #314
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
To paraphrase what I just posted in the IMDB BSG forum I think the direction this project goes depends on an number of factors, the main one being whether or not Larson is (as some irate fans have insinuated) an bitter old man pissing in the wind for attention. BSG fandom isn't getting any younger and the announced yet never materialized movie/continuation projects seems to have bitterly soured a segment of BSG fandom.

Too if, as it would seem, Larson holds only the rights/option to do movies then the real question here is what sort of BSG project is Larson planning to bring to the big screen?

As I posted at IMDB:

Quote:
The only way to really make this work, IMO, is to go back to the source. Either adapt the novelization or update the original screenplays. Make it smart, find someone that knows the jargon of the space opera genre, and don't worry about ratings. Movies made by filmmakers that worry about ratings are a waste of celluoid. FILM it, then worry.

And I'm serious about the jargon. The first time I watched BSG as a young adult I was surprised at how bad the dialogue was. It sounded like it was written by someone familiar with naval combat, which can be a good thing, until you realize that 2D naval strategies DO NOT apply in a 3D volume of space. So, at the very least, consult with someone that's played a game like Wing Commander or X-Wing.
Sad to say but the opportunity for a true continuation has long since flown the coup. The entire point of that was to utlize the surviving cast and now, quite frankly, the story would have to pick up at least a generation or two AFTER the events in the original series. And that's just not going to work, even if GINO never had been made, this will just confuse contemporary audiences not familiar with the series; or rather who are only familiar with Moore's GINO version.

Best to go back and revitalize the story in Saga of a Starworld, get a new cast, and just start fresh; IMO.

But is that what Larson is going to do? Looking at the 1999 movie project art probably not. Which worries me because Stargate Atlantis has been there, done that. Worse, Moore and company pretty much raped the DeSanto material so it's probably best to just ignore it. If you don't what you'll get is sciffy DUNE, which tried too hard to emulate Lynch's DUNE and gave us such wonderful visuals as that ridiculous off-the-rack dress with butterfly's from an arts and craft store pinned on it. If that wasn't a sad attempt to make bland look chic by someone without taste then I don't know what was.

Of course that's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

#end of line
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #315
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I also thought it was a "reimaging of the original".
It would be great it if was indeed a continuation.
I'd love to see the actors back from the original series in their original roles.
It would be nice. No denying that. And, yes, it would be sweet to see Dirk Benedict return as Starbuck. And Athene, too, if the actress is still around. IMO Athene was a character that they dropped the ball with. I'd love to see the actress return, not as Starbuck's wife or some background character, but, say, as the Commander of Galactica!

But the big obstacle is Moore's GINO series. To most people that is BSG. I fear a continuation would only confuse people. To make it work you'd need a recap of oBSG series events, and that might be costly, even assuming NBC Uniersal is on board and gives Larson access to film stock from the original series. Granted they could probably do something like they did with the CROW. Utilizing modern CGI techniques new footage could be wed with the old to create a intro that explains events "up to now".

That would probably be a must for a continuation movie project. But will NBC Universal shell out the money for it?

If they don't I may just. .

Old March 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #316
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
Sad to say but the opportunity for a true continuation has long since flown the coup. The entire point of that was to utlize the surviving cast and now, quite frankly, the story would have to pick up at least a generation or two AFTER the events in the original series. And that's just not going to work, even if GINO never had been made, this will just confuse contemporary audiences not familiar with the series; or rather who are only familiar with Moore's GINO version.

Best to go back and revitalize the story in Saga of a Starworld, get a new cast, and just start fresh; IMO.
I hate to say this, but a "reimagined" story even when done faithfully to the source material would not interest me one iota. I would much prefer the "next generation" approach that IMO if well-written could do the necessary exposition in a minimal way so that knowledgable fans would understand what was being done and not feel short-changed, but newcomers would have no difficulty picking up on things (particularly if one did a well-made prologue). If we've reached a point where the only thing left is to start all over again, then that won't be something I can ever get enthused about. After the nightmare hell ordeal of the last five years with that thing we can't talk about, the only thing that can please me is something that wraps up the interrupted storyline of the original series and nothing less.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #317
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I can appreciate and to some degree, agree with what Eric is saying. The idea of having the original story reimagined, rewritten, or retold doesn't really light my fire very much. I know that the original cast is getting on in years, but that didn't seem to stop cast members of Trek TOS to appear in films well past their prime, so I don't see why it should be any different for BSG TOS. The actors in BSG were in a show 10 years after Trek TOS was on TV and some were a bit younger than some Trek TOS cast members in the 1960's

I really would finally like to see a multi-generation version of BSG blending both the remaining original cast members and some new unknowns as well.

Looking forward, not all the way back seems like the best solution for fans of the original and potential fans of something new.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #318
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'll give you an example of how you lend closure to items from the original series in an unobtrusive way for newcomers in a continuation movie. Say you have Starbuck working as a veteran instructor to new pilots and at one point he says, "You know my father, who had a reputation for being a con man in his day, once told me....." and right then and there without a lot of unnecessary detail that could confuse newcomers, the hardcore Galactica fan knows right away that yes, Starbuck did find out that Chameleon was his father.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #319
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
I hate to say this, but a "reimagined" story even when done faithfully to the source material would not interest me one iota.
Agreed. I most certainly am NOT interested in seeing another "reimagined" Hollweird remake.

Quote:
I would much prefer the "next generation" approach that IMO if well-written could do the necessary exposition in a minimal way so that knowledgable fans would understand what was being done and not feel short-changed, but newcomers would have no difficulty picking up on things (particularly if one did a well-made prologue).
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that either. But to do justice to BSG Larson would have to actually be in production right NOW. Not starting tomorrow or next month, but already working on this. BSG fandom ain't getting any younger, nor are the remaining actors.

Quote:
If we've reached a point where the only thing left is to start all over again, then that won't be something I can ever get enthused about. <...> the only thing that can please me is something that wraps up the interrupted storyline of the original series and nothing less.
You could do that with a movie reboot. Heck there's no reason you couldn't do both a reboot and a continuation with the original cast.

Quote:
I can appreciate and to some degree, agree with what Eric is saying. The idea of having the original story reimagined, rewritten, or retold doesn't really light my fire very much. I know that the original cast is getting on in years, but that didn't seem to stop cast members of Trek TOS to appear in films well past their prime, so I don't see why it should be any different for BSG TOS.
Seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica are about as similar as an apple is to an orange.

Aren't the narrative formats entirely different?

Granted both series were episodic but BSG is more of an arcing narrative reliant on continuity whereas ST is open ended narrative in which self-contained stories can be dropped in wily-nily at any point without care or concern for continuity, logic, or any semblance of a link to what came before.

Quote:
The actors in BSG were in a show 10 years after Trek TOS was on TV and some were a bit younger than some Trek TOS cast members in the 1960's
And Nimoy was in TNG and is suppsedly appearing in the prequel movie. So what? The narrative structure allowed for continued story lines. Battlestar Galactica is like Babylon 5, it's narrative is structured. Go outside that structure and you get nonsense like G80.

Quote:
I really would finally like to see a multi-generation version of BSG blending both the remaining original cast members and some new unknowns as well.
Continuation stories are possible. There's some great speculative BSG continuation fanfic out there. Assuming Larson can get the cast on board with a project, put together a decent story that doesn't involve Borg-Cylons or Atlantis, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Looking forward, not all the way back seems like the best solution for fans of the original and potential fans of something new.
If "looking forward" and having a continuation utlizing the original cast is really what you want don't tell that to Hollywood. Because, to them, "looking forward" will mean a reboot with fresh faces and :shudders: a dumbed down re-imagined story line ala [insert any recent Hollwood movie remake abortion here].

Remember Hollywood doesn't look at narrative structure or plot or story all they care about is the bottom line; meaning money. To them BSG is just a "property" to exploit and a movie with, what to them, will appear to be a bunch of old washed up codgers as co-stars isn't what Hollywood's money machine bankrolls. They like movies with twenty-somethings passing themselves off as teens full of mindless amoral violence that they can sell to a tween demographic.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #320
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I'll give you an example of how you lend closure to items from the original series in an unobtrusive way for newcomers in a continuation movie. Say you have Starbuck working as a veteran instructor to new pilots and at one point he says, "You know my father, who had a reputation for being a con man in his day, once told me....." and right then and there without a lot of unnecessary detail that could confuse newcomers, the hardcore Galactica fan knows right away that yes, Starbuck did find out that Chameleon was his father.
Okay everyone here knows what you're talking about. Heck we all know the actor playing Chameleon was Fred Astaire. (Some of us even know what he was famous for.) Everyone chuckled at that example. But I can't help but remember that GINO dropped the jargon, heck by the end of the series it looked like a straight up soap opera that had about as much to do with science fiction as mold growing on a pickle. Granted I only tuned in the last season because nothing else was on but WTF? Anyway my point being the writers didn't drop the jargon because Moore was a lazy hack or producer of lame cliche riddled mediocrity, they did this because the producers probably figured people today are less intellectually inclined than they were 20+ years ago and would get braid pain trying to decipher what a centon vs secton is.

So when you suggest that references just be put in as throw away dialogue it worries me. A reference without context has no meaning. The movie PEARL HARBOR had a LOT of throwaway dialogue like that. Put in, I would imagine, for much the same reason you suggest. The producers probably assumed it would appease audience members with some knowledge. But you know what it really did for me?

It pointed out the vacuousness of the movie. While everyone around me was enthralled by the mile-a-minute action and distracted by romance I was left to wonder what possessed me to pay good money to watch a bad Harlequin Action/Romance movie that lacked depth, substance, or intelligent dialogue. Was it just me?

Go that route and you may end up with someone writing forced dialogue like:

Starbuck: Remember how the colonies were destroyed by slimy gall-monging Cylons?

Apollo: Remember, I can never forget. I flew my father, Commander Adama, down to Caprica so he could survey the destruction for himself.

Starbuck (grimacing): Actually I was still at Cimtar watching the Galactica pull out while dodging Cylons at the time.

Apollo: It was terrible. The fires belching columns of gray-black smoke into the night sky. And the smell. .

Starbuck: This sort of talk is no way to start a leisuron, what say we head over to the Rising Star and. .

Apollo (laughing): I'm surprised you prefer that old rust bucket to the new chancery. . et al

P.S. Actually a true "hardcore Galactica fan" would know that Starbuck's father wasn't ever named in the novel (pg 154) and that he gave him his first set of cards, which set him on his life path of gamboling.

P.S.S. I actually only know that bit of trivia because I just read it recently.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #321
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

And now I would like to contradict everything (or most of it) I posted above by saying. .

Fun borderline fanboi speculation aside: I really don't care if the movies are a reboot using an entirely new cast, continuation utilizing a mix of new and familiar faces, or 3D CGI Anime ala Final Fantasy or Beowulf so long as we get a decent movie (or series of movies) that capture the sense of wonder that attracted my younger self to the original Battlestar Galactica.

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #322
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well we're going to have to differ because I don't see what's vaucous about just dropping in for a few seconds something that can please a hardcore Galactica fan without wasting so much time going off in too much detail on a tangent that would be confusing to a new audience trying to get hooked into the main story. I'm not saying you have to do this in every scene I just think its an example of how a continuation movie can end up serving the needs of *both* target audiences because if you give us a plotline that isn't willing to just answer a few questions fans will wonder about, then the hardcore Galactica fan comes away dissatisfied and thinks more about the "wasted effort" (much in the same way that every one of Richard Hatch's novels was a wasted effort) because no thought was given to just taking a second or two to acknowledge some of these things. In short there *is* a meaning that comes from a reference like that, because it's the sort of thing that has driven many a Galactica fanfic author's imagination and there's no harm in doing something like that to show that the history of what *went on in the show* is not forgotten (this indeed is the one thing that *every* official novel and comic book of recent vintage has managed to disregard completely which is what's made all of them lousy IMO).

Old March 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #323
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

There's never going to be a continuation of the original Galactica. Period.

Sorry, Hollywood just doesn't work that way.

It's not like Sex And The City where the show had only been off air a couple of years or Star Trek which had been off the air for 10 but in the meantime had grown into a phenomenon after being a dog in the ratings on initial broadcast.

Even if this rumour has any legs, all indications are that it would be like the new Star Trek film, the original universe but with different actors playing the familiar roles.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #324
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I understand that opinion, but none of the facts that we have to go on say that it will be a reimagining. A reboot sure. In no way does a reboot have to be a complete retelling.

I'm sorry man but I have to very respectfully disagree. There may never be a continuation, but there could be. Easily. If the powers that be can be convinced that a dollar or two can be made then it will get made. Hollywood does work that way.

Ten years ago I would have told you that Hollywood wouldn't mess with a classic like "Halloween". Too much baggage. Now days I would tell you something different...NOTHING is impossible when it comes to such things in Hollywood. Jaws, Blade Runner, Casablanca...they can all be remade. They can all have sequels made. They can all be rebooted, reimagined, continued, parodied...every last one of them.

If they can conceive of an audience for the story they'll make it...bottom line.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:07 AM   #325
Sarika
Strike Leader

Bravo, bravo.

The Last Piscon Siress

Old March 31st, 2009, 12:15 AM   #326
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
none of the facts that we have to go on say that it will be a reimagining.
I agree. It seems like they're talking a reboot and not reimagining.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:01 AM   #327
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I seem to have erred in using the term "reimagining" because I used the term in the context of expressing my dissatisfaction with the concept of what is properly a "reboot". Regardless of what is the proper term I have no interest in the concept and would find it unsatisfactory after all the years of waiting to see a true continuation.

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:58 AM   #328
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I agree totally. I'll see a reboot but I'll be settling. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't judge it pretty harshly right off the line. It just seems like we've all come to far as long time fans to appreciate anything but a continuation. Anything else will more than likely be another Gino.

I know where the lack of faith is coming from, and it is well earned. Hollywood lets a lot of us down rather consistently. All I'm saying is that it can happen. I'm not sure how many of you are Tron fans, but I've been following that "they're gonna make a sequel!" "It'll never happen ever" cycle since the early 90's. I had pretty much jumped on board with the whole "never" band wagon in the last few years after Tron 2.0 came out. Seemed like they had settled on a game. After all it has been nearly 30 years and Hollywood never does that. I thought it would have to be a remake.

Then low and behold I'm in a packed auditorium at Comic Con last year and they screen the test footage from their new project...TRON 2! They're making it and it'll have the original cast.

Now Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast plus some new younger Ghostbusters is coming out and its got tons of buzz behind it.

Oh and they are making a sequel to "The Last Starfighter" simply called "Starfighter". Written by the same people, directed by the same director, possibly being scored by the same composer, staring Lance Guest...

Those are all real projects in various stages of production right now.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM   #329
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

RE: Tron

http://cosmic-cinema.blogspot.com/20...-clash-of.html

RE: a continuation of the original Galactica

Sadly Peter's hit the mole on the head. Hollyweirdland is all about money. The idea of a continuation movie would probably strike suits as being a end story without much exploitability. That's why, IMO, it's probably better to do a reboot.

RE: "reboot"

Monolith has the right of it. A reboot doesn't have to totally ignore all that came before, as some seem to assume. A reboot need not necessarily be a re-imagining or re-envisioning; in the Hollywood sense of those terms. It would, however, be an updating.

Updating is unavoidable as any production is going to have to rely on modern VFX. It's doesn't have to but it would probably be best since any BSG movie would probably be in a lose-lose situation with VFX. Use models and green-screen you're going to get critics slamming the movie before it ever gets into a theatre for being clunky and old school. There'll always be those who complain about CGI, but if it's handled properly even the complainers will fall away. Of course this is all academic as Mr. Larson will likely do whatever is most cost effective.

If you look at stills of the cast from the STAR TREK reboot only the actor playing Spock may look the part but their costumes preserve that classic TOS look. So long as the new BSG movie preserves that TOS aesthetic does it really matter whether it's a reboot or set 20+ yahren later?
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM   #330
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
[FONT="Arial"]RE: Tron

[url]RE: "reboot"
Monolith has the right of it. A reboot doesn't have to totally ignore all that came before, as some seem to assume. A reboot need not necessarily be a re-imagining or re-envisioning; in the Hollywood sense of those terms. It would, however, be an updating.
You do not have to "reboot" in order to "update." "Update" simply means using the standards of FX technology while still keeping things grounded in the established universe of characters/storyline etc. But a "reboot" which means starting over from the beginning with new actors and telling the SAME story we've seen told before is another animal altogether, and it does not interest me. I do not want to see a story about the Colonies being betrayed and destroyed all over again with new actors, because that's "been there, done that" with the original Galactica pilot. If the storyline isn't continued to bring closure to the saga and plight of the characters we came to love and care about, then forget it, I won't see it nor will I support it.