Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Little oops...

Hey! Lets start a thread of minor film mistakes that were made!

Not the kind of mistake like "I don't like making starbuck being female" but rather the regular small things that the film editors missed.

I have one. Right before the first spacial jump the galactica's lauch bays retract inwards. But when the ship is seen at the start of the jump, the bays are out again!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #2
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Little oops...

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
... Right before the first spacial jump the galactica's lauch bays retract inwards. But when the ship is seen at the start of the jump, the bays are out again!

Speaking of which, I don't understand the logic of why the launch bays need to be retracted for a FTL jump. Based on what few ships we saw doing FTL jumps, none of them had to make any special preps for jump other than do the "calcuations" and/or have appropriate co-ordinates.

You would think for a military vessel like the Galactica, having to retract your launch bays before an FTL jump is a major tactical weakness. So while not a filming error, this to me is an "logical" error.

Here's another logical error. Six talked about how she can't die. That when her body is no longer functional, her memories and consciousness is transferred to another copy of "herself." Well, as we saw in the closing sequence, there were about 4-5 "sixes". So would she "transfer" to an already activated body or an unused one? And if unused, isn't that kind of a waste? And being able to transfer, implies a communications link of some sort back to the her "next" body or, for a lack of a better word, the collective. And if a collective, we have the Borg re-imaged!
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #3
sdwebguy

Default Re: Re: Little oops...

Quote:
[i]

Here's another logical error. Six talked about how she can't die. That when her body is no longer functional, her memories and consciousness is transferred to another copy of "herself." Well, as we saw in the closing sequence, there were about 4-5 "sixes". So would she "transfer" to an already activated body or an unused one? And if unused, isn't that kind of a waste? And being able to transfer, implies a communications link of some sort back to the her "next" body or, for a lack of a better word, the collective. And if a collective, we have the Borg re-imaged! [/B]
I don't see why it makes a difference whether or not she goes into a current or new body. I certainly hope this is not a Borg re-imaged situation, though.
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #4
Yminale
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Re: Little oops...

Quote:
Originally posted by baafan
Here's another logical error. Six talked about how she can't die. That when her body is no longer functional, her memories and consciousness is transferred to another copy of "herself." Well, as we saw in the closing sequence, there were about 4-5 "sixes". So would she "transfer" to an already activated body or an unused one? And if unused, isn't that kind of a waste? And being able to transfer, implies a communications link of some sort back to the her "next" body or, for a lack of a better word, the collective. And if a collective, we have the Borg re-imaged!
I haven't heard about any religion that made rational or logical sense. Her belief that she will live on may be part of her religious ideology even if it isn't actually true.
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #5
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

sdwebguy said:
Quote:
I don't see why it makes a difference whether or not she goes into a current or new body.
I agree, it probably doesn't make any real difference. My only point I was trying to make is that why would the Cylons keep a perfectly good "body" laying around waiting for a "transfer." Conversely, would they jump into an already active body? To me, either one of these alternatives doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe a third alternative is that her consciousness transfers back to some "main frame" computer. The Cylons then create a new body and then transfer the mind/consciousness into it.

Heck, since they can transfer, why not just continually "backup/transfer" the memories/knowledge to the "main frame", making the current body and mind completely expendable? Or have the Cylons evolved so far that they "care" about retaining their "core/inner selves?"
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:46 AM   #6
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
When Sex ...errr I mean Six was bouncing up and down on Gayius and her spine glowing, I thought I saw her black panties still on.
Sorry, but.........LMAO!

Old December 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #7
Ara
Shuttle Pilot

I think the actor who plays Baltar flubbed a word during the incarceration scene when the second Cylon operative was in the jail cell. Baltar was talking about the Cylon device on the bridge and he flubbed a word. It fit perfectly with the scene, but I don't think it was scripted that way.
Ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #8
Domiano
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon
Quote:
When Sex ...errr I mean Six was bouncing up and down on Gayius and her spine glowing, I thought I saw her black panties still on.
Sorry, but.........LMAO!

Maybe when it comes out on DVD the black panties will dissapear?

No one mentioned the chip in Baltar's head....Could that chip be sending signals back to the Cylons?
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #9
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

I think that the retracting of the landing bays was more of a safety issue. When they jump, the disappear and reappear in a different spot. What if they accidentily jumped into an asteroid field, and asteroids started flying into the landing bays? It would have made more sense to have "blast doors" close on either ends of the bays, rather than have them retract.

As to the "soul" transfer, I think it would be more logical do handle it like the sixth day where they recorded your "soul" onto a disc, and if your body died, they made a new one and dumped the data back into it. The way they set it up, the cylon body would require a sub-space transmitter and a strong power source to use it. Yet in the autopsy they said the cylon was biological with no electronic components. It is possible to have a biological sub-space transmitter, but highly unlikely. It would require a tech level that not even the cylons could achive in 40 years. And if they are merely biological, how did sixes spine glow like that if there were not some mechanical component? All these questions arise because of bad writing.
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #10
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

Once again I refer to the sixth day, where they had a "body farm" of "blanks" that would take final form when the data was tranfered into them. I don't think that the cylons have a collective like the borg. I think they all have their own "soul" and have free will. This is hinted at with the model six that baltar knew. She fell in love with him, saved his life and implanted a chip in his brain so she could be with him. Perhaps it transmits data back to the cylons, but I think six was just a bit delusional because she didn't know how to handle the whole love emotion thing. She helped the cylons destroy the humans, yet helped baltar find the one cylon and the cylon device on the galactica. She's at odds with herself at what to do.