Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default feldercarb/felgercarb ???

Does anyone have an authoritative spelling?

When did the alternate spelling appear? Is it a difference between the writer's guide referenced at Sheba's Galaxy, and some of the novels?

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I believe the proper term is "felgercarb". I'm not sure how it evolved to "feldercarb" but, knowing our penchant for "corrupting" the English language, anything is possible.

:laugh:

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I know that Dirk always said felgercarb (I think he was the term's heaviest user). Terry said it in one episode for sure as feldercarb (only time I remember him resorting to it). Since both actors have good diction, I'm guessing Terry was handed a hastily retyped script with a typo. Only other character I can remember using the term clearly (and I forget which pronunciation they used) was Lucifer (I do remember Jonathan Harris relished wickedly in the line it was in. )

I took it as a potential thing where a dialect difference could have developed between the various colonies/tribes.

there's a couple of theories for you.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Is there any evidence to dispute the authenticity of the "writer's guide" posted at Sheba's?

I have seen some interesting speculation about alleged 2nd season script briefs. Curious if someone has reason to disbelieve the source of the document at Sheba's.
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #5
larocque6689
Warrior

Both spellings are acceptable, although the scripts spelled it as felgercarb. Susan Paxton's Concordance (which heavily relied on the script spellings) uses felgercarb.

My guess is that the actor's sometimes found the alternate spelling easier to to pronounce. Fans sometimes used this spelling as well. Example: Feldercarb was the name of a fan magazine by Laura Michaels.

I don't consider feldercarb "wrong" - simply an alternate variant.

The Second Season bible is authentic as well as the Writer's Guide. The source of the second season bible is Chris Larson. When I finally found out it was the real deal, I made this comment at Cylon Alliance: "Thank God Battlestar Galactica was cancelled."

Sheba's Galaxy is a great source.

Here's two other favorite links of mine:
http://www.kobol.com/archives/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/concord.html
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #6
Aeneas
Warrior

(taken from glossary of terms)

f-e-l-g-e-r-c-a-r-b
felgercarb- bulls**t
( Hatch, Richard : "Battlestar Galactica: Armaggeddon"
c.1997 MCA Books, Inc.)

from Apollo's pen to thine screen--but the varying dialect explanation
makes sense .
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Dogface

Quote:
Originally posted by larocque6689

The Second Season bible is authentic as well as the Writer's Guide. The source of the second season bible is Chris Larson. When I finally found out it was the real deal, I made this comment at Cylon Alliance: "Thank God Battlestar Galactica was cancelled."
Aaaaand THAT is why Larson should always be taken off the helm once he gets a project started. That precis presented a Galactica that was even worse than the Buck Rogers revamp. Larson suffers from having too many ideas, so when he gets one rolling, he has this compulsion to diddle with it. In essence, he did not want to continue Galactica but merely slap the Galactica name on an entirely new series that happened to have a few of the same names and actors. (For those who didn't suffer through reading the excerpts, he wanted to kill off Sheba and turn Apollo into a thoroughly irresponsible fratboy in the name of attracting more female viewers--but a cute little "cabin-boy" was going to be added.)

In the visual arts, that's called "over-working", and it can ruin many a promising piece irretrievably.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #8
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I had thought the writer's guide spelled it "feldergarb." Guess I'll have to revisit the site.

The second season ideas gave me many worries. I am also glad such a push never came to pass. I wondered after reading it why so many would prefer a Larson involvment in any modern effort at BSG. Seems the Larson second season would have irritated many fans.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Frankly, since there never was a second season of TOS, it doesn't matter how legitimate the "bible", as reported, was. It didn't happen. There is nothing to say that it would have been produced faithfully to the "bible's" final word, there is nothing to say that this "bible" wouldn't have been scrapped in preproduction for something completely different.

It's useless to speculate. Season Two didn't happen, except in fanfic.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Dawg, just to clarify, I am thinking of 2 separate documents.
One was the guide for the first season, and I recall the "feldercarb" spelling from it. It was either the real deal, or it wasn't.
The second season speculation comes from a different document. Larocque vouches for its authenticity, and that adds some weight as far as I am concerned.
True, since it was never produced (2nd season) this is all purely speculative. If it did in fact come from Larson, it raises questions and doubts in my mind regarding the direction he would have taken the show.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #11
Dogface

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
[B]Frankly, since there never was a second season of TOS, it doesn't matter how legitimate the "bible", as reported, was. It didn't happen. There is nothing to say that it would have been produced faithfully to the "bible's" final word, there is nothing to say that this "bible" wouldn't have been scrapped in preproduction for something completely different.

It's useless to speculate. Season Two didn't happen, except in fanfic.
Therefore, it is also, according to you "useless to speculate" on what a Hatch- or Larson-connected revival would have been, since "It didn't happen" applies equally to them, too...
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by Dogface
Therefore, it is also, according to you "useless to speculate" on what a Hatch- or Larson-connected revival would have been, since "It didn't happen" applies equally to them, too...
Hatch created the proof of concept trailer that shows what a revival under his leadership would have looked like. There's no speculation there. Same with DeSanto; we have enough information now to know what his revival would have been like. We would have liked either, but they did not happen. We bemoan that fact, but that is not speculation.

Glen Larson has only stated his desire to bring back the BSG universe on the big screen; he owns the movie rights. There haven't been details about what he definitely would or definitely wouldn't do. Our comments regarding that come under the heading of "wouldn't it be nice if," rather than speculation on what would, could or did happen.

Speculation requires some factual basis to spring from. In talking about whether or not the mini will go to series, both the pro and con in the debate are taking established facts and speculating on whether they mean go or no. In talking about the second season of TOS, since there was no production, preproduction, or anything, speculation on whether the "bible" would have been used in whole, part, or not at all is meaningless speculation because there are no facts to extrapolate from.

OK?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #13
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Factoid about the 2nd season documents:
they were prepared for outlining a proposed 2nd season for BSG to pitch to the network. (they wanted a smaller cast, lower costs, etc.)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #14
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Yes, and if they are to be accepted as legitamate, then I think they can be discussed as a "factual basis" of what Larson would have done in a year 2 BSG.
Much like, if the RDM series does not happen, leaked scripts for ep 1 might give us "factual basis" of what it would have looked like.
In my view, it is a good thing that these Larson ideas were not implemented.
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #15
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Marley
Yes, and if they are to be accepted as legitamate, then I think they can be discussed as a "factual basis" of what Larson would have done in a year 2 BSG.
Much like, if the RDM series does not happen, leaked scripts for ep 1 might give us "factual basis" of what it would have looked like.
In my view, it is a good thing that these Larson ideas were not implemented.
True, and I agree with that last sentiment. However, an episode 1 script based on the mini is much harder evidence of what something looks like than what is admittedly a proposal "bible" that never had one word written for an actual production. My whole point is that we cannot know, for certain, what Season 2 of TOS would have "looked like" (i.e. where the stories would go). It is useless to speculate because there is no factual basis on which to stand, except for a proposal document which may or may not have been used at all had a second season ultimately been green-lighted.

With the mini-to-series debate, we have the production of the mini, finished and aired. Factual basis for conjecture. Valid speculation.

See the difference?

Now, I'm going back to work before I get fired. 'Later, all.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #16
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Oops. Double post.

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #17
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I get you. I think I am not making the point about the 2 documents though.
One is the alleged series bible for BSG season one. It is from that document I get the spelling of "feldercarb." If what is presented as this writer's guide for season one is authentic, then I think it should be looked to as the first word on things like spelling and such.

Sure, I'll grant the season 2 Larson document might have been tossed aside by some semi-sane exec.
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #18
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Ah. OK, I gotcha. Yes, we agree.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

And I still dread the thought of the Larson doc actually coming to pass as proposed.
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #20
Terra
Warrior

As anyone ever tried to activate subtitles????
Maybe the answer is there!??!!
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #21
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Ha, great idea!
I use that to get what Kenny says in Southpark, and what Boomhauer says in King of the Hill.