Bad Email Address

LOL 'Star Wars': The unsolved mysteries

From The State.Com:

'Star Wars': The unsolved mysteries

Could Yoda beat the Hulk? And other questions George Lucas never dared answer

BY BOBBY BRYANT
The State
May. 17, 2005

COLUMBIA, S.C. - "The circle is now complete," Darth Vader told Obi-Wan Kenobi on the Death Star.

That was a long time ago (May 1977) in a galaxy far, far away (single-screen theaters with $2 matinees). And we didn't have the slightest idea what Vader was talking about: What circle? Complete how?

Now, we finally get it. That circle. Oh yeah.

With the arrival of the sixth and last episode of George Lucas' epic space series this week, the circle is now complete. It will be the last chance for Lucas to resolve some mysteries that have been building up since the first "Star Wars" was released 28 years ago.

Here are some of the unanswered questions of the "Star Wars" saga. Perhaps they also should be the unasked questions of the "Star Wars" saga. But if we don't ask, can the circle ever be truly complete?

ON WOOKIES

If an 8-foot-tall Wookie shaved himself, could he play professional basketball?

Could a Wookie marry an Ewok? If so, would their children be tall, like a Wookie, or short, like an Ewok? Would you call them Ewookies? Wookewoks?

ON STORMTROOPERS

Why do all the stormtroopers wear full-head helmets that block their vision so badly that they can't hit what they shoot at? (Trooper captain: "Uh, Lord Vader, excuse me, but we could work much better without the helmets and all." Vader: "Talk to the hand. If I must wear a helmet I cannot see out of, then so must you. It is . . . your destiny.")

How could the puny, rock-throwing Ewoks possibly defeat an army of armored Imperial stormtroopers? (Oh yeah, they were all wearing those Helmets You Can't See Out Of.)

ON FAMILY TIES

What if Ben Kenobi had never told Luke that Leia was his sister? (Next on Jerry Springer: "I Didn't Know That My Enemy Was Really My Father and That My Girlfriend Was Really My Sister, But I Found Out Just in Time.")

ON YODA

Why did the very learned Jedi Knights never teach Yoda that it's subject-verb-object? ("Angry be not with me, Master Yoda, but ignorant you sound, yes.")

They're both green; they both have great power; they both have problems speaking proper English. If Yoda fought the Incredible Hulk, who would win?

ON THE FORCE

What is this about the Force being some sort of infection in your bloodstream, like magic mononucleosis?

ON DROIDS

When R2-D2 lets loose with a storm of bleeping and blipping, is he cursing like Tony Soprano? (Imagine the subtitles.)

ON DARTH VADER

In the first film, when Vader is roaring in behind Luke, about to blow him out of the sky, can't Vader "sense" the enemy pilot is his son? And can't Vader "sense" that Leia is his daughter when he is torturing her?

Is it really legal for Vader to use the Force to strangle any Imperial officer who displeases him? (Strange but true fact: There was a plotline in Marvel's "Star Wars" comics in which a cabal of Imperial officers got fed up with seeing their pals strangled by the Force and started plotting against Vader.)

ON THE EMPIRE

Does the Empire have cable?

Wouldn't it have taken the Empire forever to build the Death Star, a battle station the size of a "small moon"? Wouldn't it have been outrageously expensive? Wouldn't the Emperor have gone around complaining that it was actually his "Debt Star"? (And then he built another one ... and it also got blown up ... along with thousands of innocent "independent contractors" still working on the thing, as Kevin Smith noted in "Clerks.")

ON THE JEDI

Why do the Jedi Knights insist on going into combat with nothing but lightsabers, even when their foes are using war machines the size of houses? Isn't this taking chivalry a little too far?

ON PRINCESSES

Why would a space princess like Leia want her hair done up into giant buns? So space pirates would tell her, "Hey, you've got great buns"?

ON AMPUTATIONS

Why are so many characters in the saga either having their hands cut off (Anakin, then Luke, then Anakin-as-Vader) or their arms cut off (the creep in the bar fight, the Wampa ice monster)? Is it a Freudian thing?

ON MACHO

Quien es mas macho: "Star Wars" Capt. Han Solo (Harrison Ford), "Star Trek" Adm. James Kirk (William Shatner) or "Battlestar Galactica" Cmdr. William Adama (Edward James Olmos)?

ON HONESTY

How much longer will George Lucas keep taking credit for writing the paperback adaptation of the first "Star Wars" film when everyone knows it was written by fantasy novelist Alan Dean Foster?

When will Lucas admit that his scarred, armored and cloaked Darth Vader is basically a Xerox of Marvel Comics' scarred, armored and cloaked Dr. Doom?

ON COMMON SENSE

Why doesn't someone just beat up Jar Jar Binks with a tire iron?

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
ON DROIDS

When R2-D2 lets loose with a storm of bleeping and blipping, is he cursing like Tony Soprano? (Imagine the subtitles.)
For some reason, the idea that R2 isn't an adorable little droid compatriot but really a foul-mouthed sailor is cracking me up! I really really want to see sub-titles for him now.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Tanky
True Blue

Quote:
ON AMPUTATIONS

Why are so many characters in the saga either having their hands cut off (Anakin, then Luke, then Anakin-as-Vader) or their arms cut off (the creep in the bar fight, the Wampa ice monster)? Is it a Freudian thing?
Ep III spoiler, abet only a minor one

Spoiler
This list only grows as the movie progresses
They look and sound rational.
Some are programmed to think they are right.
There are many versions.
And they have a plan.

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause" - Padme Amidala, Revenge of the Sith

"Lord, please save me from your followers"
Tanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
TopGun
Strike Leader

That's quite funny
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #5
bsg1fan1975
Major

I'd really like to know what R2 is saying myself! I think it would be pretty good to see what was actually said and not interpreted!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #6
TopGun
Strike Leader

Yeah that would be cool
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM   #7
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Around the time of Attack of the Clones, there was a short-vid DVD that was put out called "R2-D2: Beneath the Dome", which was a mockumentary of sorts showing how R2 turned to alcohol after Return of the Jedi when he realized there wasn't any work in Hollywood for used droids. Made him out to look like the fifth Beatle

Amzon has it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Synopsis follows:

Quote:
"For the first time on DVD, the complete R2-D2: Beneath the Dome Mockumentary lifts the lid of silence and explores the never-before-told history of the real star of the Star Wars saga... Artoo Detoo. Learn about his humble roots in rural England, his unyielding hunger for fame, and how his determination overcame a Hollywood that had long discriminated against Droids. Told in three parts, the documentary unearths never-before-seen footage and interviews to tell the story. Featuring George Lucas, Samual L. Jackson, Francis Ford Coppola, and more, R2-D2: Beneath the Dome will bring smiles and laughter to your galaxy."
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
ON YODA

Why did the very learned Jedi Knights never teach Yoda that it's subject-verb-object? ("Angry be not with me, Master Yoda, but ignorant you sound, yes.")

Laughed my ass off, I did....! Rolling on the floor, I am!

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9
TopGun
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg
Around the time of Attack of the Clones, there was a short-vid DVD that was put out called "R2-D2: Beneath the Dome", which was a mockumentary of sorts showing how R2 turned to alcohol after Return of the Jedi when he realized there wasn't any work in Hollywood for used droids. Made him out to look like the fifth Beatle

Amzon has it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Synopsis follows:
The Region 2 Release of AOTC has it as a Special Feature
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM   #10
GollaRolla
Shuttle Pilot

I've got the DVD of that R2-D2- Beneath the Dome. Funny as hell!
And actually, the AOTC DVD only has a short promo for it, not the full-length version.
GollaRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11
TopGun
Strike Leader

So it was, my bad
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Laughed my ass off, I did....! Rolling on the floor, I am!

Like you! Amusing, I find this!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote