Acting: 5/5
Sound: 4/5
Visuals: 4/5
Endorphin Factor: 3/5
Big Screen Experience: 2/5
Scoring system:
Average: 3.6/5

MOVIES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Star Wars, Tombstone, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

DETAILS: Well, I bought the DVD release of Serenity. Did it hold up better on DVD than it did as a "big screen" film? Yes.....and no.

The story and the acting are two of the things I absolutely loved about this film, and the dialogue is excellent. (Watching it in subtitles helps to catch all the subtleties one may have missed.)

Visually, the effects are still ranging from pretty darn good, to pretty darn good for a console videogame (the latter particularly screams itself out on the small screen).

The action on the screen fills up better in full frame, (much the way Star Trek First Contact did) but sadly whether watching it in full or widescreen, it still looks like nothing more than a missing episode of Firefly.

Also, in watching the film, I can see why it did not do so well in the theatres. Anyone who may have watched it without having seen the television show would most likely be lost with certain events in the film....and that is not something that calls for favorable word of mouth. "I couldn't understand the story because I never saw the television show. What the frack was going on?"

BOTTOM LINE: I am happy that I did get Serenity on DVD. It is a good story, and one I will obviously watch repeatedly. It's just sad that a movie with so much potential fell so short in so many other areas. Jewel Staite is just too hot.
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:42 PM   #2
rjandron
Warrior

So Steve, have you seen the Fruity Oaty Bar?

Heh.

Now it's our turn.

www.battlestarfanfilm.org
rjandron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjandron
So Steve, have you seen the Fruity Oaty Bar?

Heh.
Yeah....and suddenly, I felt like kicking some astrums for some inexplicable reason....that is until someone said some strange stuff to me and the next thing you know I woke up in shackles!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:49 AM   #4
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Mine came with a sticker on the cover saying I could save $10 if I purchase Serenity and either one of the 2 seasons of the RDM BSG. I'll save even more by just buying Serenity

What a bunch of crazies in this movie which I saw in theaters before I saw any episodes. I bought Firefly and liked it. Reminds me of the original BSG, fun to watch.

I'll watch this movie on DVD later.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I got the DVD, and was VERY impressed.

Those not familiar with the series will certainly have a few WTF moments, but I think that was intentional.

Joss gave some backstory, mostly on River, which was needed as there wasn't much from the series on what exactly happened to her, and the story was centered around her.

For the rest of the backstory, aka those movie WTF moments, I think the average DVD collector that isn't familiar with the show will turn around and buy the DVD set. This is where I think it was intentional to have those WTF moments- It'll boost curiosity in the uninitiated, they'll go buy the DVD set to get the rest of the story, and thus MORE money will be made.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM   #6
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Firefly always sold well on DVD. Maybe the sales on Serenity will get a sequel made.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Done by Martok2112
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

One thing I can say about the Serenity DVD....

Just try and find a copy in Widescreen!

I bought a copy for a friend as a Christmas present - I didn't give a thought to if it was widescreen or not...so she wound up with a full screen version.

I went out the day after Christmas to find a widescreen version... I went to 4 different retail outlets (which were flooded with shoppers) and all I could find was full screen. I'm gonna give it another go this weekend - I need a copy for myself and one for a friend's birthday next week!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I found a wide screen version right away...

Someone accidently handed it to me in the store, and it was the last one

I walked in, said "Cool. Serenity is out on DVD."

The person in front of me turned around, looked at me and handed me a copy from the shelf and said "Enjoy."

I found out later on my way out of the store the person handed me the last widescreen. Luckily they had a copy too.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Widescreen is the only way to go with a good theatrical sci-fi/action/fantasy flick.

Whenever I get any movie on DVD, unless it warrants otherwise, I set out to get the widescreen version.

You know..it's incredible. Years ago, on VHS, widescreen was the exception and not the norm because many people, for one reason or another just flat out did not like the idea of black bars at the top and bottom of their screens. (Some thought that it cut the picture out of the top and bottom of the screen. Others, despite the notices stating otherwise on the boxes, thought that something was wrong with their TV sets.) Eventually, widescreen versions started becoming more available on VHS. And now, with DVD, 90 percent of the time, you have more of an option. Some DVD's feature both versions in the same pack....others obviously come in seperate formats. Regardless, I am glad the option is there to suit everyone.

Respectfully,
Martok2112