Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

View Poll Results: Who's Continuation Storyline would you be interested in seeing made ?
Larson 1 3.13%
DeSanto 10 31.25%
Hatch 14 43.75%
Animated 4 12.50%
Spin-off 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #1
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Default Poll : Which Continuation storyline would you like to see ?

Hi all,

There have been many storylines proposed for a Continuation. Which one would you like to see happen ?

Larson - Destruction of Galactica and transfer to Pegasus.

DeSanto - Reverse direction back to the Colonies, fighting humans without wills.

Hatch - Return of an old foe as the fleet returns into Space.

Animated - Pick up the story just after 'The Hand of God'.

Spin-off - Terminator style series showing the battle on the Colonies.

If people disagree with these one-liner story summaries I'll edit them, but I'm really interested as to which would be fan's favourites.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I've voted Hatch........

When I saw the Second Coming trailer, it hit the nail on the head of what I would like to see as a Continuation. The gritty intense update, with the original cast and new characters returning with the Big G to battle 'an old foe'

That's my view anyway........
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #3
mocha2112
Warrior

I'm probably the only one, but there's no option for "Books" or "None". I've lost faith in TV and the movies, not just for BSG but in general. I really can't trust anyone to "get it right" anymore so I'd rather not have to watch these trainwrecks any more. At this stage, I'd just like more books/ novels. If I can't get more books then I'd rather just let it go.

I'll go hide under my rock now...
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #4
WarMachine
Warrior

I went with the DeSanto version, but I could go in for either that or a classic animation/anime/"Roughnecks"-style CGI
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Im up for a spin off series, like Battlestar Avalon. Or even another. Let the GINO fans have their brief time in the sun, then when people look at the name BSG and shake their heads, the new name, maybe just Battlestar, can shine like a diamond. It may take time, but in the end, I believe we shall have a great series on TV and it will be our lasting legacy.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Thanks for replying to those who have so far....

mocha2112.....this poll is about on screen Contiuations - big or small screen. Richard Hatch has authored some continuation books, and there are comics...but they can be made anytime, any decade of century. If we are to have a Continuation of the original series it is nessesary in my view to act within the lifetimes if the original cast. Books etc can be done anytime....

Tabbi....thanks for replying. I'm guess Battlestar Avalon is a fanfic ? Glen Larson's Battlestar Pegasus is probably the nearest to what you suggest. However, I think you will find fans less than receptive in abandon the name we love so much all because others have spoilt it. That should be corrected...another reason to do a Continuation....!!!

Thinking about the storylines....I don't know there isn't any major majo storyline obsticles to Hatch's version....then DeSanto's version....then Larson's version storyline wise ? And the other two can be done regardless....

Although I don't know that we'll get all of them ! At this rate we may get none of them ! But I really hope we'll get something !!!!!!!
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I voted Richard Hatch. Just seems right and Ernie, you are right. Ever since I saw The Second Coming trailer, I literally had tears in my eyes! That was the real BSG as far as I was concerned...

DeSanto's vision seems pretty cool, but I am worried about humanoid cylons. I wish that they would not do that at all...just a cheap gimmick to save money.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8
BRG
Warrior

I've voted for an animated series.

I honestly believe that an animated show is the only way the original Galactica could ever return to our screens. You could pick up where the original show left us, you could use most of the original cast with suitable replacements for Green & Colicos, and it would be relatively cheap and would not interfere with TNS.

I think an animated show, 30mins each episode, and done like the excellent Batman cartoon from the 90's, would have a broad appeal to a wide audience. as far as I'm concerned, it's the only viable option.
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #9
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

You know, I loved the Second Coming.

I've seen the trailer like twelve times now, I've seen Richard's passion about it.

But I went with DeSanto's version. For some reason he 'gets it' in my head. He's just as passionate as Richard about it and it hits on all kinds of interesting levels.

I would, however, be totally happy with either version!
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #10
bsg1fan1975
Major

I had to go with Richard's! I just love the way the books make the cylons and their allies more of a menace now. Plus I like the addition of the younger warriors such as Starbuck and Cassi's daughter, Dalton and Apollo's son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #11
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
I went with the DeSanto version, but I could go in for either that or a classic animation/anime/"Roughnecks"-style CGI
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to Richard Hatch: the "humans-taken-over-by-Cylons" angle would have been interesting, even if it was a fairly obvious rip of the Borg, but I think GINO has pretty well poisoned the whole line of thought

Is there anyway to change my vote to TSC?
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Westy
Warrior

DeSanto's hands down.
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #13
gmd3d
Major

Hatch is the one I went for..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I think it's pretty much a tossup between DeSanto's plan and Hatch's original vision. Those are the closest to the heart and soul of the original - but any of those suggestions could be acceptable if handled correctly.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #15
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
but any of those suggestions could be acceptable if handled correctly.
Thinking about it....ALL of the above could be done........taking the character of Apollo as an example....

Animated : After the Hand of God the Fleet continues...adventure ensues and tragically Cmdr Adama is killed. Tigh admits he doesn't have the leadership of Adama or Apollo, and Apollo admits he couldn't stomach the council. Civilians are calling for a seperate military and civilian council, so Tigh resigns and Apollo accepts command of the Galactica.

The Fleet settles on a planet and set up home...time passes...then....

Hatch's Second Coming : The Cylons return and the Galactica is forced into space again with the Fleet. They survive the attack, but in the final battle, Apollo is presumed lost.

DeSanto : The Fleet continues through space, now heading back to the Colonies....when they discover the evolution of the Cylons has lead to prisoners without wills. They discover that Apollo is one of them, and manage to rescue him and return him to being willful.

Larson : The Fleet continues and discovers the Pegasus. Battles with the Cylons continue, and the Galactica is lost. Surviving cast transfer to the Pegasus.

Meanwhile.......a spin-off series examines those left behind on the Colonies, in a Terminator style battle. The Galactica eventually returns with a way of defeating the Cylons and retaking the colonies....

Not too sure what happens to the quest for Earth......but the rest of this could work....?
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #16
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

However, I should note that I am still in favour of the Second Coming being completed first. It is the most nearest to finished, thus giving us a head start....and some original cast are essential to any Continuation efforts in my view. The death of John Colicos, a key character, is an example of the need to act sooner rather than later on any project featuring original cast members....

An animated show can be done anytime, especially with voice synthesisation(sp?) although it may be a good first step to establish various story plots....
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #17
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I'm inclined to go along with Hatch's version, not because I dislike the others but, because once they're 'back in space', that leaves the door open, to continue the quest toward Earth OR to head back to the Colonies.

Although, I'm leaning toward continuing the journey to Earth. THEN, .....

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #18
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Animated would be cheapest to make, and easiest to get on TV. More money to throw at prodction means more film in the can, means more to sell to producers.
This is war kiddies, its a game of numbers, they have more! (Starship Troopers)
If we wanna get our BSG on, we gotta play smart, fast and hard. Get the most film in cans we can, get it as cheap as we can, throw money at writing, good voice actors, and getting some awesome production. But after we get the animated series on, and get control over what BSG's image will be, then we can go after movies and tv. Priorities! First get it on the air, then worry about what form it is.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #19
_No_Name_
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
Animated would be cheapest to make, and easiest to get on TV. More money to throw at prodction means more film in the can, means more to sell to producers.
tabbi
I believe Tabitha is 100% correct on this point. Animated would probably save money and time. Plus it lends itself to a distributed form of production. Besides, having seen a few fan fics, I score most of them (on a scale of 1 to 10)

Acting: 2
Story: 5
Effects: 10

I think it is easier to find voice talent that you can work with over the net then it is to get N talented actors/actresses together in one spot and shoot them on film.

As for the different versions

Good storyline

DeSanto - Reverse direction back to the Colonies, fighting humans without wills.

As previously mentioned it gets closer to the new nuBSG storyline and you need product differentiation. I would lose the "humans without wills" and go towards active resistance ala "Young Lords" . I think that makes for a stronger storyline. Plus the colonies have "lost colonies" that had been missed by the Cylons--"The Long Patrol" and "The Lost Warrior". One could write in a planet that had war reserve material (like Diego Garcia has for the US militrary).

Hard to judge without seeing the trailer. I don't recollect the story that well either--is that one where the fleet had settled an asteroid and were in the process of decommissioning the Galactica?

Probably the easiest route.

Completely different story--not my favorite idea.
_No_Name_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #20
CMDR. APOLLO

Hatch's version would be most faithful to the original series and the best direction in my opinion. I've read all his BG books and most are pretty good - the original cast plus a 'next generation' - Starbuck's daughter, and older Boxey/Troy, etc, plus interesting spins on Baltar, the Nomen, etc.

DeSanto's version would be 2nd in my opinion, but it sounds way too Borg-like for my taste and even somewhat similar to the new series with human - cylons. Don't like it.

Animated series sounds like a VERY bad idea in my opinion. Who'd pick it up - the Cartoon network? I don't see it working. BG fans loved the special effects, the human drama, etc and that isn't conveyed in animation as it can with real actors (plus we'd all love to see Hatch, Benedict etc in their real uniforms again!)
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #21
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Cool Go Richard!

I had to vote for Richard Hatch's version. I love his books and the Second Coming trailer. His heart, mind, and passion are right there with that of the fans. I can't wait for the new book in December!

As a second choice, I would chose Tom DeSantos. He is a total "fanboy" in the best of ways. When he works on a project of something he loves, he really comes through for the fans as well as reels in the newbies.

Sigh! I miss the real BSG!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE! Then again, isn't that what Galactica is all about?

KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM   #22
Krystal
Bad Email Address

I vote for De Santo but I really like both De Santo and Hatch version. I personally think this two are just great and maintain the original version in a very respectful light.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #23
Harvester
Bad Email Address

I voted for Hatch. The reason for this is because the Apollo character is the single most important character in Battlestar Galactica. All the important relationships in the series were centred around him. Apollo was the focus. He was the best and most consistently written and portrayed character in the series. With Larson and Desanto he would have been removed or very reduced.To focus a continuation on another character would not work as well, and to me wouldn't be the way to go.
Animation is the most likely continuation path, but I honestly think that sucks. You lose so much in terms of what facial expressions say when you go to animation over live action. Take 'Hand of God' for instance. Can you picture the scenes between Apollo and Sheba in the raider before the mission, or between Sheba and Cassie a little later having the same effect if not for the real human expressions of the actors? I can't. A look can say so much more than dialogue. You lose that with animation. Would something along the lines of 'Clone Wars' really satisfy you in terms of what you want in a continuation? While it might satisfy some more than the current name bearer, I really think most of us would not truly warm up to an animated series even though we really wanted to. I know I'm more likely to put in my Phantom Menace DVD than my Clone Wars DVD even though Jar Jar pisses me off and TPM really sucks, simply because I still get more out of the live action product. If it were between Clone Wars and Empire, it's an even easier decision.I think I would feel similarly about an animated Galactica.
Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM   #24
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
DeSanto : The Fleet continues through space, now heading back to the Colonies....when they discover the evolution of the Cylons has lead to prisoners without wills. They discover that Apollo is one of them, and manage to rescue him and return him to being willful.

THIS is what all the screaming and yelling is about over the "lost" or "postponed" continuation????????????

Sorry, but there is only ONE way for ANY Galactica of ANY stripe to go. Earth or bust.

Sorry people, the Colonies are lost.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM   #25
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I'd go for a Hatch/DeSanto merger. Both are kinda similar- In Second Coming, it's Apollo saying "Starbuck's alive. I know it." then the "We're coming for you, Starbuck" thing that is emphasized.

In DeSanto's version, it's Apollo that's lost and presumed dead yet is rescued.

But both end up having to go through the heart of the Colonies/Cylon Empire again.

Whereas Richard gets a bit whacky in his book storylines, DeSanto's added ideas in addition to keeping the feldergarb out of it (ala Kobolian bloodlines, etc) would make a great starting point for a continuing series (TV or movies)
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM   #26
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Larson/deSanto/Hatch. With all of that brainpower we can't lose.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM   #27
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

With all that ego it can't happen.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #28
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

I've just re-read the Tom DeSanto interview, and I have to say the 'Apollo without will' idea didn't grab me. When an idea doesn't grab fans, its hard to bring them onboard. I felt that's what went wrong with Enterprise...when I first heard the premise it didn't do anything for me....then nor did the series.....

"Without Wills" is possible...just don't involve the character Apollo.

I also thought the 'Ship of Lights' betrayal story was flimsy and be avoided...

What about - would they have kept heading towards Earth if they found out it had been destroyed by the Cylons already ? Then the Cylons came to the Galacticans new home and destroyed that...and once again the Galactica headed out into space....That to me had a lot more potential...

Even though these are to major points of DeSanto's pitch.....I rather see his than nothing.....but my vote is still with Hatch's Second Coming...
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #29
Lara
Squadron Leader

Of Ernie's choices, I voted animated.
But I'm not thinking cheap kiddie fodder stuff with skip frame economy and minimal movement, but a big effect film experience that just happens to be animated and not live action.
I believe the time is getting near that a kick ass animate flick could break thru the kiddie mold. Get it a MA, not a PG fro a start. Use the medium to make some believable aliens, marry it with good effects and I think the TOS core audience would cpme for the experience, others would come to check out the new use of the medium.. Take inspriation from the original and break new technical ground, just like it did!!!

hey , I wasn't asked what I thought was most commerical (I'm, qualified to risk manage hi hazard food manufacturing, not film production..), but I was aksed what I would like to see..

Cheers,
Lara

Quote:

Old November 19th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

Is there a
"None of the above" choice?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote