Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 10th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BG-13: Greetings From Earth

An alien spacecraft is discovered by Starbuck and Apollo on patrol. It contains six human fugitives in suspended animation--possibly from the planet Earth. Tension amongst the fleet at the prospects of brethren from Earth rises. In time, the humans are revealed to be from Terra, a Colonial-like world. They are journeying to Paradeen (a nearby colony world) to escape the threat of the Eastern Alliance, a Terran faction with a ruthlessness akin to the Cylons. Starbuck, Cassiopeia and Apollo finish the journey with the Terrans, hoping to find clues to the location of Earth. But the Eastern Alliance pursues the ship to Paradeen, where more troubles ensue.

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, Anne Lockhart as Sheba, Jack Stauffer as Bojay, Larry Manetti as Giles, Ed Begley, Jr. as Greenbean, and John Colicos as Baltar.

Ray Bolger as Vector, Randolph Mantooth as Michael, Kelly Harmon as Sarah, Murray Matheson as Geller, Lesley Woods as Aggie Moreland, Frank Marth as Josh Moreland, Curt Lowens as Krebbs, Lloyd Bochner as Commandant Leiter, Bobby Van as Hector, Gary Vinson as Doyle, Alex Rodine as Lanceman, Lester Fletcher as Donner, Michelle Larson as Charity, Gillian Greene as Melanie, Eric Larson as Todd, Kimberly Woodward as Loma, David Larson as Walker, Donald Mantooth as the medtech, and Ron Kelly as Reese.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH

Last edited by Flamingo Girl; May 10th, 2003 at 06:22 PM..
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

This one is perhaps the worst one ever made. The Eastern Alliance couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. The ship the Earthlings/Terrans were on was from Buck Rogers In The 25TH Century. This episode was the beginning of the end of a great concept. Hector and Vector at least knew the difference between the genders however. I also noticed that this 2 hour episode had the opening narration by Patrick Macnee included in it. Larson was hoping for a spin-off series.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default whose voice is it?

There is an unidentified voice in this episode that perhaps one of you can identify. When the Terrans' ship begins to enter Paradeen's atmosphere, its computer and the computer on the ground begin to communicate with each other. The one computer voice (I think it's the ship's) states a phrase that includes the term "lunar par avion.")
Whose voice does this belong to? I know where I've heard it before--it's the voice of the narrator and various aliens in Lost in Space. However, I know the voice does not belong to either Jonathan Harris or Bob May. Do any of you know who recorded this brief line?

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Strange symbols...

When checking over the systems on the Terran ship, Dr. Salik says that the instruments have strange symbols and language that they have never seen before...yet, when they open the cases, Michael comes out and immediately starts talking English to them!!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I really didn't like this episode as much as I liked the others.
And I GROANED .........when the girl said ........OH AMnesia......
and apollo said ......something like "Amnesia what a pretty name."
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by shiningstar
I really didn't like this episode as much as I liked the others.
And I GROANED .........when the girl said ........OH AMnesia......
and apollo said ......something like "Amnesia what a pretty name."

That was not in this episode but the one titled Experiment In Terra.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I didn't like that one either ........those two episodes were
so bad ........that I still even to this day get them mixed up.

Thanks for clearing up my mixup Kingfish.
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #8
Oscar
Bad Email Address

I really liked the elements of the story that take place on the Galactica, although it that part is obviously padded out with a lot of fluff. The second part where they go to Paradine is an absulte disaster, an appallingly bad, confused mess.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #9
Domiano
Bad Email Address

Default Can you say "Shooting Schedule" ?

We can lay blame everywhere on both of those episodes. I believe it was crunch time and some scripts were good in concept and when filming began due to the shooting schedule things got botched. After Murder on The Rising Star things became really chaotic and unperdictable. I agree that the ship and some of the settings were later used in Buck Rogers.
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 06:34 AM   #10
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Hector and Vector fan club.

I saw this episode over the summer.
Brings back memories.Not all of them good.

This episode,IMO, really set the stage for G80.
The silliness factor of H & V has me in hysterical convulsions.
Not even Crow T Robot and Tom Servo include these droids in their prayers.A break that at least Twiki got.
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Me too Domiano.
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #12
spot778

It had two great things for me.

1) Ralph Mantooth : coming home from school and watching Emergency right after Star Trek was the norm.

2)The city sequences were shot in MONTREAL, CANADA !!!!!
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #13
WARDAGGIT73

Default * to 4****

The VAcant city scenes with Hector and Starbuck is amazing, the Eastern Alliance are silly Villains, and it seems a bit lightweight in the end, but it has enjoyable moments, Part ! is slightly better on story, but part 2 have those amazing city scapes....
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM   #14
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot778
MONTREAL, CANADA
Pity we gave that city back to the Brits after the War of 1812.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
There is an unidentified voice in this episode that perhaps one of you can identify. When the Terrans' ship begins to enter Paradeen's atmosphere, its computer and the computer on the ground begin to communicate with each other. The one computer voice (I think it's the ship's) states a phrase that includes the term "lunar par avion.")
Whose voice does this belong to? I know where I've heard it before--it's the voice of the narrator and various aliens in Lost in Space. However, I know the voice does not belong to either Jonathan Harris or Bob May. Do any of you know who recorded this brief line?

Mary
The narrater as stated above was Patrick MCnee. The same one
who played Count Iblis.

At least I think it was. I'm not sure.
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #16
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Question worst of the bunch part 2

hector ?vector dance 50 people on planet star destoryers but nothing on fleet long range scaners the worst two parter of the bunch sould have been a single more about the western side navy interceptors or larger ships no defensive ring around there star by are they in for a supise when 5 baseships show up even if they have mthe over 1000 destoryers they claim other bad shows had acting or great geust stars like warriors deer skin skirt or patols eyes of starbuckin last one id show a freind about battlestar launchcruiserhawkeye ready for deployment
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:55 PM   #17
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default Athena's students

You learn the name of another one of Boxey's classmates in one of the deleted scenes on the DVD. In one scene, Athena looks down to her left and addresses a boy as "Cyril." If you go back and watch the actual episode, there are several shots of the entire classroom, and you will see in the front row, to Athena's left, is a little boy with very blond hair. This is Cyril, but he is uncredited in the listings.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM   #18
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default who is donner?

In the closing credits, there is an actor named Lester Fletcher listed as playing a character named "Donner." Which one was he in the episode? No one is called by that name in any of the scenes of the episode.

Mary
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:22 AM   #19
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default noah hathaway's last appearance

Much has been discussed about this episode being Maren Jensen's last appearance in the series--that she'd been fired, that she wanted to return to modeling, the other actors weren't aware that she wasn't part of the series anymore, etc. But what I've never seen discussion of is that this was also Noah Hathaway's last appearance. When I've been to conventions, the other actors haven't brought up the subject, and I didn't hear much of Noah's talk at Galacticon so I don't know what he himself had to say.
Any comments?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:04 PM   #20
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default unidentified familiar voice

In the scene where Lunar Shuttle Avion (Michael's ship) is about to land on Paradeen, a computer on the ground communicates with the ship's computer. This voice is very familiar, yet I don't know the name of the man who provides it. Do any of you know?
The voice says, "Paradeen Control Center to Lunar Shuttle Avion." It's the same voice that announces the arrival of aliens on numerous episodes of "Lost in Space." I am sure that some of you out there who are "Lost in Space" fans will be able to identify whose voice this is, but I don't think it is either Jonathan Harris or Bob May.

Mary
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #21
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Larson's Poor Writing

I just sat through more than one viewing of this episode to do one of my usual fanfic adaptations, and time and again I keep marveling at how this episode, along with the others in the Terra Trilogy, suffer from an appalling case of poor writing structure. It wasn't until I watched the scenes slowly and had to back up again and again to do the adapting that I finally realized the big problem. Larson is credited as sole writer of this episode, along with EIT, and I think it is very obvious that he never had his script looked over by McDonnell and Carlson or someone else to polish it up. As Executive Producer, I think Larson likely had leeway to let his scripts be done without major fine-tuning and it really shows in both GFE and EIT.

Case in point is the whole pointless sidebar matter of the Morelands. They're introduced late in the game to be a red herring for two minutes about how destroyed the vipers, then they conveniently serve as a way for everyone to get out of the city fast. Then, there's the peculiar jump of going from this distant city to Apollo and Starbuck sliding down off the rooftops to take out these Alliance guards without so much as a single scene or line of them explaining what their plan is going to be! A little less time of Starbuck and Hector yakking as they wandered through Expo 67s ruins and a little more development of this point would have been welcome.

And another gripe of mine writing wise in the first half when it seems like everyone on the Galactica and the Fleet keeps referring to the Terrans as "children" as though it's an entire gorup of them. Hello? Didn't they see Michael the fully-grown male? Count the number of times the word "children" and "babies" are uttered in part one some time and how often they're used in a wrong context when referring to the entire group and you'll see what I mean.

But if the writing is poor what really sabotages the episode is the abysmal acting of Kelly Harmon, especially regarding her attempts to get Apollo to stay and her flat delivery when she confesses to sabotaging the vipers. If you want to know why she had to earn her living in Tic Tac commercials, those scenes are it!

Larson I think was so desperate to do something different from what had become the Galactica norm that he just didn't stop to think about whether this was a quality way of doing it. That alone is why I think most people tend not to think highly of the Terra Trilogy. Not only is it such a radical departure, but it isn't executed well at all.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #22
Senmut
Strike Leader

Actually, I liked the EIT eps. They showed that BSg could do more than slug it out with the Cylons this week. Could it have been better? Hell yeah, but then so could alot of things. These eps are actually quite good, and far outshine TMW.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:10 AM   #23
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It isn't the fact that Galactica departed from the norm with the Terra trilogy, it's the poor writing. And the reason IMO why "Magnificent Warriors" is ultimately a better episode is because it's a single episode by itself and not part of a would-be attempt at a grandiose story arc the way the Terra trilogy is. Because the Terra trilogy was Galactica's boldest attempt at doing something like that over four hours worth of episodes, then IMO they have to be held to a higher standard of writing, certainly at least on the level of other big episodes like LPOTG, LL, WOTG etc.
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:31 AM   #24
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
It isn't the fact that Galactica departed from the norm with the Terra trilogy, it's the poor writing. And the reason IMO why "Magnificent Warriors" is ultimately a better episode is because it's a single episode by itself and not part of a would-be attempt at a grandiose story arc the way the Terra trilogy is. Because the Terra trilogy was Galactica's boldest attempt at doing something like that over four hours worth of episodes, then IMO they have to be held to a higher standard of writing, certainly at least on the level of other big episodes like LPOTG, LL, WOTG etc.
Each and every ep has to be held to the same standard of writing, regardless of its length. I did not see the Terra Trilogy as an attempt at anything, grandiose or otherwise, beyond the next step in the Fleet's journey, and maybe an indication they were on the right course for finding the 13th Tribe. The story took longer to tell because it was a longer story. Thankfully, some NitWerk suit didn't try and have it squished into an hour, and say it was good. ABC interfered enough as it was, and all those responsible should be exiled to the empty planet with Baltar!
Yes, the writing could have been different, and a bit better done, but so could nearly all of them. I still see this as superior to TMW, in almost every respect.
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:21 AM   #25
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
Each and every ep has to be held to the same standard of writing, regardless of its length.
Not so. A one hour story is a completely different kind of episode from a storyline spread out over 4 hours, and in this case when the stakes get raised for something higher and not a more light-hearted fare like TMW or TLP, you have to bring some higher expectations and standards in, just like one would for a LPOTG versus TMW.

Quote:
I did not see the Terra Trilogy as an attempt at anything, grandiose or otherwise, beyond the next step in the Fleet's journey, and maybe an indication they were on the right course for finding the 13th Tribe.
"Hand Of God" did that a lot better in just one hour than the Terra trilogy did in four, especially since we got this padded out build-up in GFE that was then utterly dismissed in one line at the end of EIT. That is simply bad pacing when writing a story.

Quote:
Yes, the writing could have been different, and a bit better done, but so could nearly all of them. I still see this as superior to TMW, in almost every respect.
"A bit" better would be an understatement. GFE was in need of a *major* re-write in terms of pacing and plotting, not to mention a serious need of recasting in most of its guest performers. At the very least, Larson should have allowed McDonnell and Carlson, his paid story editors, a crack at fixing it, or co-writing the whole story arc with Bellisario.
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #26

Default great ideas lc tell me whats a launchcruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
hector ?vector dance 50 people on planet star destoryers but nothing on fleet long range scaners the worst two parter of the bunch sould have been a single more about the western side navy interceptors or larger ships no defensive ring around there star by are they in for a supise when 5 baseships show up even if they have mthe over 1000 destoryers they claim other bad shows had acting or great geust stars like warriors deer skin skirt or patols eyes of starbuckin last one id show a freind about battlestar launchcruiserhawkeye ready for deployment
how many fighters on a launchcruiser just want to know
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM   #27
Bombadil

There may have been serious flaws with the Terra episodes, but there were some good moments, too. I loved when they were piloting the captured Eastern Alliance Destroyer to the Galactica, and it slowly dawned on their defiant prisoner just how big the Galactica was. That was priceless!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #28
Crewmember

Were there plans to keep Terra in the series if it had continued?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM   #29
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I don't believe so. Not unless Larson was using the Terra episodes as a pilot for another kind of show altogether.
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #30
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmember
Were there plans to keep Terra in the series if it had continued?
Eric's right. It doesn't seem likely, since John tells Apollo that "this is not the end of your journey." They keep going, eventually finding the BaseShip which must be well beyond Terra. I think it was just a morsel of info as to where the 13th Tribe had passed, and that they were on the right track.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.