Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 30th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default The LAST CHANCE

I am sitting here, on Saturday, August 30, 2003, trying very hard to arrange my thoughts in some coherent form. I say, “trying” because all of the thoughts haven’t yet coalesced and this is mainly due to the intermingling of various emotions that I can’t seem to set aside. Those emotions range from disappointment to sadness to absolute RAGE. There is also 1 other and I will speak to that one later because it is the most dangerous one, IMHO.

The initial feeling that hit me yesterday afternoon, when trying to access CF, was one of disappointment. I didn’t want to believe that I was going to lose the opportunity to “connect”, even if only electronically, with my newly found friends. I have become accustomed to, and quite comfortable in, this environment. It allowed me the chance to engage in conversations, learn from the wisdom of others and hopefully contribute what little I had to offer. Mainly, though, it was the camaraderie that kept me coming back. When that was jeopardized, my feelings began to sink towards those of sorrow.

I was genuinely saddened at the prospect of losing the opportunity to partake, in the reading of and, at times, replies to Muffit’s many wonderful stories. They are a true gem and so meaningful because she truly speaks from the heart and she has a wonderful way of intertwining her life experiences with her love for the show. In addition, I would be losing the opportunity to “hear” more of RP’s musical remakes. They’re classic! I would also miss the opportunity of “stealing the thread from Amberstar” and trying to avoid the hangman’s noose of Sheriff Dawg. But, most of all, I would miss, terribly, the opportunity to connect to ALL of you wonderful folks! I’ve had many lousy Days saved by the wonderful Evenings spent here. To lose that would definitely leave a hole in my heart. I would survive and move on but the loss would still be noticeable. As my sadness sank to its lowly depths, another emotion began to make its presence known.

I don’t, usually, succumb to feelings of rage because I am one that normally “doesn’t sweat the small stuff”. However, I DO HAVE A LIMIT and when I reach that limit, I will lash out. Sometimes, though, it is misdirected at the last person – the one who added that very last morsel that caused me to hit the limit. Other times, my fury will be directed at the person responsible for planting the original seed. In the aftermath, what I try to do is to reconstruct what caused my feelings of outrage, make apologies if necessary, and then, embark on the mission of settling the issue, once and for all.

I spent all of last evening reading through the various posts at Colonial Fleets, Cylon Alliance, and several other forums. It was somewhat illuminating but not at all surprising. Anytime you have people of various backgrounds, collected at 1 place, there WILL be a time when folks will butt heads. It’s unavoidable. What makes the difference is the outcome of the argument. Can the adversaries walk away, either respecting, or at the very least, tolerating the other’s position? Ask yourself this question. The answer is very important because if you CAN’T respect or tolerate the other’s position, you shouldn’t be engaging in this type of environment. If you cannot OR will not step away from being rude, spiteful, and/or threatening to another then, leave. There are other outlets available for you to get YOUR message across.

Some may be of the impression that Longevity = Wisdom. It doesn’t. I don’t care if you have been here since Day One or if you have been here One Day. It is the content of your articles/posts that indicate wisdom. The only thing that longevity indicates is the depth of your passion, nothing more.

The last feeling, which I am battling right now and to which I alluded above, is that of Indifference. I don’t NEED to be on these forums; I don’t NEED to express my feelings for the Original Series; I don’t NEED to engage in the effort to revive/continue the Original Battlestar Galactica story. I could walk away at any time and discover what other things, in the world, interest me and channel my energies in that direction. But, I don’t want to do that, not yet. I feel that contributing to the effort to bring back a high-quality TV show with a strong message for young and older audiences alike, is an important use of my time. I want to stay involved. I want to contribute. I want to take advantage of this Last Chance that we are being given, by Don. Do you? I want to push these feelings of indifference aside. Will you help me?

Before closing, I want to extend my appreciation for the very existence of this forum to Don, our benefactor. Thank you for the kindness of allowing me to express myself in a very nice environment. Also, speaking of environment, my thanks also goes out to Tom for his incredible efforts to make this one of the most beautiful forums in terms of appearance, navigation, and content. You and Don are the backbone the supports us. My deepest appreciation goes to both of you.

I won’t apologize for the length of this article because I had a lot to get off my chest. I will, however, thank you, in advance, for your patience in reading it.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #2
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

(((((((((((((((((BST)))))))))))))))))))))))))
I don't know what's going on here. However I will say
that you belong here and that we are here for you.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

BST -

That was a very well written post - If I had tried to do it, I'm afraid that it wouldn't come off as well as yours. You managed to sum up the way that a lot of us feel and expressed it thoughtfully and intelligently. You are a credit to this forum (and others) and are an inspiration to us all.

Many thanks,
Bryan
________
Hemp marijuana
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #4
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default BST I Am With You!!!

I also have felt the same emotions that you echoed. I was shocked to hear that I could not log on to a site that I have grown to love. Deep saddness washed over me, I would truly miss CF. Being here in the evenings gave me the opportunity to interact with others, to learn from their view points, joke with them and I loved the security it gave me. To know that I wasn't alone in the universe that there are others who believe in BSG just as much as I do. It has become my refuge in this chaos that has sweept through the fan base.
"Muffits bever jokes that have become endaering", "sharing Reviews on TOS", "Thread stealing" Just being able to express our feelings in a friendly environment, like the cafe. I felt like I just lost alot of friends, though I have never seen your faces. Then I became angry that it only takes a few to spoil it for everyone!
Don and Tom have spent their time and energy in giving us a place to call home. I hope they will continue to keep CF open. CF is beautiful and the forums all are great. I believe we can move beyond what transpired here yesterday. Everyone stumbles and falls at some point in time, but it is the strength of the group that can pick us up and set us back on the right path. Diversity among us is not a bad aspect, we can learn from oneanother and grow. If we don't see eye to eye then we can agree to move on without becoming beligerent, or vindictive.
We all share a common love for a show that is worthy of a continuation. It has brought us together and only by standing together will we succede in our endevor to bring BSG back.
I will stay at CF, and I do hope all of you will continue to come here and stay involved in our cause. This is our last chance to keep the home we have grown to love.
Many thanks go to Don and Tom you have made it possible for us to come back here, and if you choose to keep CF open
thoes of us who remain will not make you regret your decision.
Amberstar
Old August 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

That's so true .........If you choose to keep this site open
we will never betray your trust.
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:20 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Possibilities

I like to believe in them as another of my favorites stated. That person was Captain James Tiberius Kirk. There is no such thing as endings or no win senarios. Beginnings are always better.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wonderful words BST . And thank you all for saying such kind things about me. Being shy (but crazy) I do not always say what is in my heart. All of you are near and dear to my heart. I live so far from friends and relatives! When I was in the hospital, no one came to see me. But I knew when I got home I could come here and be uplifted in ways I cannot express.

To Don and Tom, you have no idea what an impact on our lives you have made by making Colonial Fleets available to us. This world is crazy and painful. Coming here is like an oasis in the Sahara. If we can fight TPTB for 25 years and still believe in our cause, surely we have the strength to weather this (what should be little) setback. Please believe in us. Because we have come to believe in you.

To all my friends,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:47 PM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Nice...

Very well said, BST. I lived without BSG for around 19 years after it went off the air until I found it again in 1998 online and in reruns on skiffy.

I must say, after 19 years of doing without it, I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT NOW!!!!! That is why I was so sad to see this forum disappear, even if it was only for one day or so.

Any BSG forum's loss is a loss for all of us and for this great show. I have always said it, BSG is my alltime favorite show and will always be. That's why I spend hours online each day talking to others and playing role playing games in the BSG universe.

Long live BSG and long live all of these forums to continue it's spirit on! After all, WE are the show's spirit now, are we not???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:06 PM   #9
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I loved that quote too Kingfish. Thanks for the reminder.