Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds
Notices
Shattered Worlds Project forum for new FAN-based endeavours.
Share what you're doing here!

Old December 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
JSC1
Warrior

Default Back and thinking about project

I'm going to be looking to spend a lot more time here as I want to get my mind going creatively about a BSG project.

I'm looking to do a fanfiction novel, yes there apparently are companies that do that. Even if no profit can be made, but money is not all that important to me. Well it is, but not to the point where it's the be all and end all of life. But apparently if one does not seek a monetary profit a fanfiction novel can be done.

One of my firends has done a fanfiction novel set in the Star Trek Universe called 'Beyond the Final Frontier'. Claudia Christian herself has done a B-5 fanfiction novel with the proceded going to troops in Iraq. So it looks like it can be done.

So far I've got a premise in mind. I hope to be able to make use of one of the ship designs posted in the art section. Which one I don't know yet. I'm not sure about all the characters either. Right now I've got an unnamed Colonial commander and an IL named Janus as adversaries and main characters.

The premise is that a Colonial cruiser, not a Battlestar, but a Deep Star exploration probe (reference to Capt. Apollo's comment to Zac on patrol) returns to the colonies after a 20 yahren exploration to a distant system in hopes of establishing a war refuge colony where the Colonial civilization can flourish away from the thousand yahren war. When the ship returns the crew find that the colonies are under Cylon occupation, and most of the humans are dead.

The action of the story involves the crew, those that survive after their ship is destroyed, trying to stay ahead of Janus, and try to organize any survivors they can to try to escape the colonies and escape to the explored planet they had scanned. A mission that I hope to make easier said than done.

There are other projects I need to do first. But I want to make sure this is not far from my mind. Hense I want to be around people in a creative atmosphere, with creative resources-and advice-on hand.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Back and thinking about project

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC1 View Post
I'm going to be looking to spend a lot more time here as I want to get my mind going creatively about a BSG project.

I'm looking to do a fanfiction novel, yes there apparently are companies that do that. Even if no profit can be made, but money is not all that important to me. Well it is, but not to the point where it's the be all and end all of life. But apparently if one does not seek a monetary profit a fanfiction novel can be done.

One of my firends has done a fanfiction novel set in the Star Trek Universe called 'Beyond the Final Frontier'. Claudia Christian herself has done a B-5 fanfiction novel with the proceded going to troops in Iraq. So it looks like it can be done.

So far I've got a premise in mind. I hope to be able to make use of one of the ship designs posted in the art section. Which one I don't know yet. I'm not sure about all the characters either. Right now I've got an unnamed Colonial commander and an IL named Janus as adversaries and main characters.

The premise is that a Colonial cruiser, not a Battlestar, but a Deep Star exploration probe (reference to Capt. Apollo's comment to Zac on patrol) returns to the colonies after a 20 yahren exploration to a distant system in hopes of establishing a war refuge colony where the Colonial civilization can flourish away from the thousand yahren war. When the ship returns the crew find that the colonies are under Cylon occupation, and most of the humans are dead.

The action of the story involves the crew, those that survive after their ship is destroyed, trying to stay ahead of Janus, and try to organize any survivors they can to try to escape the colonies and escape to the explored planet they had scanned. A mission that I hope to make easier said than done.

There are other projects I need to do first. But I want to make sure this is not far from my mind. Hense I want to be around people in a creative atmosphere, with creative resources-and advice-on hand.

John,

That premise sounds like it could develop into a very good story... one that could find itself on my bookshelf.

Keep us posted.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #3
JSC1
Warrior

As I lay groundwork down for this story I hope to use this thread as a charting of the creative process.

Bear in mind this process is not complete. I think I need more characters in the character section. They should hopefully come to me as time, schedule and energy permit.

First the breakdown:Story, Character, Setting, Action (watching the Wordshop on PBS as a kid realy paid off I guess.)

Story:20 Yahrens ago a Colonial Carrier left for a deep star exploration mission to explore a remote system in the Sirenos galaxy in hopes of establishing a remote home away from the thousand yahren war. A new colony world.

The mission then returns home only to find the colonies under Cylon occupation. The Commander's ship is destroyed and most of the escape pods are are picked off by the IL commander Janus, who seeks to find out just what it was the mission found.

After an escape, or rescue, the commander tries to organize another exodus to the planet he explored. Getting any and all ships together, hoping to save what he can of the civilization, he leads his charges to a new planet where they can build their new civilization.

Characters(for the record-in coming up with names wikipedia has become my new best friend):

Janus-An IL cylon who has two faces, figurative, not literally. He comes off as charming and smooth talking as his program and duty permits. But he also seems to enjoy the duty his program allows. In his culling of the remaining humans on the planets he employs tactics he seems to take great pleasure in bordering on sadism if not sadistic all together. He finds logic in his choices of action as well as pleasure. Sees an opportunity in the Commander's mission.

Lt. Selena(got the name from a character on a turkish TV show played by a hot actress named Sinem Kobal)-The daughter of the mission commander. Her mother was a woman named Starla who was supposedly killed in a survey of the colony planet. Selena looked forward to a return to the colonies but was horrified to see them as ruins and statements to machine efficiency, as well as examples of Janus's sadism. She has vivid dreams, possibly premonitions, and limited mind over matter ability (referenced in War of the Gods). Starla explained it was institute training, but it's possible Selena's mother may have had a connection to the beings of light-like Angela in Return of Starbuck.

Don't worry, I'm not looking to turn her into another Dr. Zee. She'll be as confused as everyone else about herself. At least that's the plan.

Commander Seth-Warrior appointed to lead the Deep Star probe. Has a code of honor about him, yet considers himself an explorer at heart. Loving father, but stern as well. Longs to lead people to new orld to be away from war. He returns to a ruined world and his ship destroyed. Confronts Janus, who is Seth's adversary. Seth tries to preserve what he can while Janus tries to destroy all the remnants of humanity he can find. The colony mission is of interest to Janus as he seeks to destroy all humans there, as well as their sense of hope as Janus believes destroying hope will make the humans more succeptible to their extermination. Seth seeks to do all he can to preserve that hope.

Seth will try to rally the last ships he can. If I remember from Sandy's Pythagorus story from Exodus, he said there were five fleets that got off with the Galactica's fleet being the fleet of prime importance. I plan for Seth's to be a sixth fleet.

Abaris-Selena's best friend. They trained as warriors on the expeditionary mission. A man of faith and belief as he keeps the book of the word close.

Zari-yah-Fellow warrior. Wild and reckless. Speaks before thinking. May follow different faith other than Book of the Word.

Akira-A warrior of duty and honor. Follows separate faith. May base it off Japanese or Oriental religions. Will be looking at wiki in depth, as well as hopefully other sources.

More characters to come. As well as fleshing out what's here.

Setting:War torn colonies. Possibly Caprica, unless a better world comes to mind.

Action:Escape colonies, get back to explored world with survivors, and escape/defeat Janus.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Capt. Lunaryn
Bad Email Address

Sounds good.
Some of what you were describing reminded me of the New Series.
Is your book based on TOS or TNS?

I, too, have some ideas for a TOS-based animation or books (my avatar is one of my characters).

I have wanted to have my stories published also (mainly so that it would reach more people, as doing a self-publishing can usually not get the same kind of distribution. I have experience with that, too), but I didn't think that I could.
Okay, I admit, I was paranoid for a long time about people not liking my ideas. And of them being taken.
Thanks for stating that it's possible.

I will not say what my stories are about, as this is your thread (I will start my own.).
Suffice to say that mine deals with humanity also trying to find Earth, but differently than the original TV show.

Keep up the good work.

Namaste
Capt. Lunaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
JSC1
Warrior

I'll be using TOS all the way.

In a way the theme to the story will kind of reflect what I hope to do with TOS...preserve it as best I can.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I like what you have here. Very good start and I like the idea, I'll be watching this closely, I do love me some TOs fan fic. I've been tempted to write some myself, Most of what I've read is all in the Star Wars genre.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
JSC1
Warrior

I want to look at additional mythologies for character names as I don't want to narrow my focus on the biblical names, nor do I want to limit myself to Greek and Roman mythologies.

The original didn't limit the mythologies and religions used and neither do I. Any got some good ideas where some good names, and mythologies, can be found?
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #8
Capt. Lunaryn
Bad Email Address

You could try looking at Chinese, Japanese, and Polynesian myths. As well as Central and South American.

I've got some stuff written and dated (I mailed the writings to myself for the Postmark). I really should show some of it and finish what I've started.

Namaste
Capt. Lunaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #9
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
I want to look at additional mythologies for character names as I don't want to narrow my focus on the biblical names, nor do I want to limit myself to Greek and Roman mythologies.

The original didn't limit the mythologies and religions used and neither do I. Any got some good ideas where some good names, and mythologies, can be found?
By a remarkable coincidence, I've been reading about Roman and Greek mythology online, and found the best sources of names, descriptions and basic synopsis details is..........Wikipedia.

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

And don't leave out the Celts some good names there as well.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Amon Ra
Shuttle Pilot

You might even try Welsh, Scottish or Viking history.
Amon Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I like the story idea and that you're sticking with TOS.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon Ra View Post
You might even try Welsh, Scottish or Viking history.
How about Roman or the Germanic Tribes?

Battlestar Earth admin
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Amon Ra
Shuttle Pilot

How about the builders of Stonehenge, the hitites? Or the Sumarians? Then there's the Aztecs and the Mayans. Or even the Mesapotamians.
Amon Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #15
JSC1
Warrior

I already knew about Wikipedia for the Greek, Roman and history of Christ information. Could the other faiths be listed there as well? And if not does anyone know of any other sites I might be able to check out?

Also I'm going to jot some notes here from time to time. Ideas that pop into my head that I'll want to explore as the story develops.

Number one:A scene where Commander Seth is trying to comprehend what to do. His world is destroyed and Janus basically tortured him as to why humanity deserved its fate. Essentially Janus would be the voice of the worst of humanity as he tortures Seth. Once freed Seth wonders if he should embrace the dark distorted mirror that Janus presents or does he choose to believe the idealistic, hopeful view of humanity that he was brought up to believe in. And why does he make that choice?

Number two:An incident where a human traitor is begging for mercy. Seth pulls out his gun and makes ready to execute him. The question he asks is does he betray his values and ideals by killing the traitor or does he restrain himself and allow his better angels to take over.

One thing I believe I will be looking to explore in this story is human worth and the value of life. And maybe have this develop out as a morality play.

I want this story to be about people. Not politics.

And any websites on other mythologies that anyone can recommend please let me know.
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Athene
Galactica's Princess

There are plenty of sites about faith/mythology on the net.
Another very good mythology is the Norse mythology. Not sure if someone mentioned that already.
Good Luck to you in your endeavours.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #17
JSC1
Warrior

I'll look for such sites when time permits. Today however I was able to develop a little on the plotline in my mind. And with the plotlines I have here I will need more characters. Hense the research for more names and different mythologies.

Intro:The launch of the mission.

Opening chapter:Return of the mission and the attack by the Cylons.

A plot-Prisoner captor duel between Seth and Janus. May carry over once Seth is freed. No, when Seth is freed it should DEFINITELY carry over. Especially in battle. Seth vs. Janus would be one of the best vs. the worst.

I want this story to have heroes in it. However I also expect those heroic notions to be challenged by Janus.

B plot-Selena and her crew trying to make contact and work with Colonial Resistance to get Seth back. Also to get survivors off colonies.

One thing that people have criticized Battlestar for is its use of children. Boxey and the Super Scouts(I know. Don't hate me.). There were one or two instances where Boxey was useful however. Okay one. In 'Fire in Space' he did try to help keep people alive distributing the gas mask as Boomer took the lead.

If I decide to use a kid in my story it will not be as a cute little moppet or something like that. Basically it will be the 'kid who never got to be a kid' angle. It would be like the kid was a soldier right out of the gate. Examples are like drummer boys in the Civil War who see front line action although the kid wouldn't have a drum. Another example like when the allies had attacked Berlin in World War II and the Nazis were ordered to 'defend Berlin to the last man'. In the colonies it would come to that.

In this sort of environment where kids are 'the last men' a new world where a kid can finally be a kid would seem like a dream come true. And that kid could have a reason to fight. Currently this is a consideration. I'll know more as I do more research into characters and setting.

C plot-Traitor in resistance. Reports to Janus in exchange for letting him live a little bit longer. Once resistance is all dead Janus plans on honoring his word to the traitor. The traitor would live two microns longer than his compatriots. An example of Janus's sadistic sense of humor.

This may seem like an old plot device, even to me. But really the only currency that would apply here is 'how long do you get to live?'. You live long, consider yourself lucky.

D plot (resolution)-The exodus and escape from the colonies. With this there would be a kick ass battle as Seth, Selena and company lead survivors away and to their colony world.

Am thinking perhaps Seth may take a small fleet back to the colonies and order one ship back behind the colonial border as he takes the rest in to be attacked. When the exodus happens Seth orders the last ship in to provide cover and protection. Whether that ship will be destroyed to cover an escape I'll have to determine.

Hopefully this will provide me with a little more incentive, and to find a little more time, to research more mythologies. Let me see the list now:

Celtic
Norse/Viking(could be helpful if I want to do an establishment of last names. I always assumed if the original did use last names it would be along Norse lines)
Aztecs
Mayans
Mesopotamians/Sumerians(I heard these two cultures are pretty much the same.)
Stonehenge
Hitites
Welsh
Scottish
Germanic
Japanese
Chinese
Polynisian
Central America
South America

Quite the list huh?
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #18
JSC1
Warrior

Thought of this as I was doing my morning bus run. Strangely enough I was thinking about traitors in history (in hopes of perhaps finding a name for the traitor character I came up with) and my mind turned to Benedict Arnold, who was considered a traitor during the Revolutionary War. Or Colonial Rebellion if you're from the other side of the pond.

As I thought of ways to 'Colonialize' the Benedict Arnold name nothing really grabbed me. I thought of Ben, or Benedict, but it didn't sound right. Then I heard the name 'Arno' used at one point. In an Iron Man comic there was an 'Iron Man of 2020' named Arno Stark.

Arnold-Arno. Sounds like something from across the stars and the spelling could allow some readers to make a comparison. I'll probably go with this name unless something better comes up.

Also, I was thinking about the use of kids again as I thought of a possible angle as to determining who gets on an escape ship. I thought a lot of adults would be looking to fight among themselves for a right to escape, as the ship can't accomodate everyone. Same problem Adama had to face.

But instead of some 'gritty realistic' approach I figure some kids could ask the warriors to save their parents, which would shame the parents and some adults as they were thinking of only their own well being and escape. In their shame some adults would also stay behind and cover the escape. Give the kids a 'final moment' to be proud of.

Even if the setting is dark and dire I still want the best of people to shine through on this.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #19
JSC1
Warrior

LOL Re: Back and thinking about project

Well already went through one mythology on the list. Celtic. And a lot of it was found on Wikipedia.

Here are a few names I came across and their meanings. Others may want to take a look at this list as well as they may find a name or two themselves they want.

Lugh(Lugu, Lleu)-Hero or high king of the distant past.

Cian-Distance. Could turn into a dog or a pig at will. (Name sounded good so I picked it. No animal transformations I think.)

Ethnia-Locked in a tower of crystal to keep her from getting pregnant.

Tuireann-Father who cried over his sons graves

Brigid-Woman of poetry and healing. Goddess of all things perceived to be of relatively high dimensions, such as rising flames. Drank a special drink made of rum and 21 peppers (could make a good colonial drink). Her roman counterpart was Minerva and was considered as part of the Celtic Triple Goddess.

Triple Goddess:
Mother-Enchantment, promise of new beginnings
Maiden-Fertility, sexuality, power andlife
Crone-Wisdom, repose, death and endings

Etain, Aideen-Goddess of the sun. She was also turned into water, a worm and then a butterfly until she was reborn.

Brian-Pompous man. Could make a good Sire if one is needed.

Dagda-Good god. Father figure. Immense power and is associated with a cauldron.

Nuada-First king before Dagda. Fell in battle.

Boann-Goddess of the river. Associated with the WHite Cow. Interpreted as Brigid's mother.

Aine'-Goddess of love, growth and cattle. Associated with the sun.

Aillen-The burner. Burned the city of Tara to the ground every year when the festival of Samhain came.

Elatha(Elathan)-Prince of Darkness with GOlden hair. Associated with the moon. (Could make a good Iblis follower. Or a good IL name).

Ethnia(Ethlia, Ethlian)-Maybe a double of Boann

Epona-Protector of horses, donkeys and mules. Goddess of fertility. 'Great mare'.

Other nature goddesses:Tailtiu, Macha, Eria

Angus-God of love (Don't know about this one. I have a feeling if I use this name I'd have to make the character gay. Don't ask me why.)

Goibnia-Smith god and immortal brewer of beer.

Next:Norse/Viking And Hagar the Horrible doesn't count.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #20
Lara
Squadron Leader

Sometimes I think the best part of dabbling with fanfic is the research, but then I know thats not as good as getting your plotlines all woven in !

I've always kept a file with stuff I come across that I then dip into later.
At one point I made a decision to take an assumption and work out from it: the assumption being we see ancient egyptian culture in TOS as being the mother culture of Kobol. From there we hear and see things related to ancient greek (Apollo, Athena, Casseopiae, etc) along with Biblical-old testament overtones (obvious things like Adama, but also that Baltar is a diminutive of Balthazar, who was one of the three wise men!)
Anyway, from there I asked which are the earth cultures contemporary with the ancient eqyptians?? and then started pulling stuff from them.

A copy of timeline of the world history is useful to get the global picture, but Crete, the Greek states & the Punic wars, Parthians, celts, the chinese warring state period/ the Qin dynasty (teracotta warriors), the Indian Mauryan dydnasty, scythians (esp the steppe nomad culture) Before this is the Babylonians, Assyrians, Etruscans (proto Romans) and the Shang dynasty More obscure references can be found in the Olmecs, Mayans, Samoyeds, Zhou empire.

In some ways the Stargate writers did a lot of the leg work with the expansion of the Gou'ald from just the Egyptians!!

I haven't got URL s for a lot of this stuff, its things I've collected over years of reading, but a few key words always gets you off in a new direction.

Have fun,
Cheers,
Lara
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #21
JSC1
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
(obvious things like Adama, but also that Baltar is a diminutive of Balthazar, who was one of the three wise men!)
Now that is interesting. I had no idea the Baltar name came from that.

Although I wonder if Balthazar would have cared that his name was used as a template for 'the great traitor'. I guess adapting Judas would have been obvious.

Been busy, so I haven't gotten to the Norse Mythology yet. It's kind of interesting though in my school days Norse, Greek and Roman were the big myths covered. And maybe the Middle Ages as well. All the others...not so much.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #22
JSC1
Warrior

Still looking at Norse mythology. Haven't gone as in depth as I had hoped. Doesn't mean I haven't had this story on my mind though.

I've been thinking a bit about names, and one thing I know about Norse is that they often used last names based on who the father was before. Like Leif Ericson's father was Eric the Red because he was the son of Eric.

I felt this approach was too easy, and wanted to try something different. I think Martok took a similar approach, I'm not sure.

I think Oriental cultures use the terms 'san' and 'sa' to describe sons and daughters. I know Russians usa an 'a' at the end of a last name to indicate a son or daughter. So I figure I might try something like this.

Selena sa Seth

Or

Apollo san Adama.

Don't know if I'll do something that designates royal house or anything like that. I'll have to see how the research progresses.

As for format I'm thinking right now along these lines.

Prologue 1:Expedition launch

Prologue 2:The Occupation according to Janus.

Part 1:Coming home

Part 2:Surviving home

Part 3:Escaping home

Epilogue:Voyage to a new home

Obviously parts 1-3 will be the core of the story, and should have multiple chapters while the prologues and epilogue will be stand alone chapters serving as beginnings and ending.
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #23
JSC1
Warrior

Inspiration can come in the most unlikliest of places at times.

Yesterday I was exchanging two DVD's for a Gundam DVD. Volume 1 of 'War in the Pocket' and after the exchange I was watching an old tape of Gundam F-81 that I had not finished watching. After watching these for a bit I found myself on wikipedia looking up 'Gundam'.

A little nugget reached out to me. Gundam had come out in the 1980's as a three volume set of novels. I remember seeing two of them, but not the third. But that's not the nugget that grabbed me.

It showed that in translating the novel series the character of 'Char' had been translated as 'Sha' in the book. Interesting as I get two different feels of the name.

'Char' seems like it should be associated with burning, or war. And I guess for Gundam it is. But 'Sha' seems more spiritual. Like it should be the name of a priest or something.

And I found myself thinking that perhaps a character could represent the spiritual and moral compass here. perhaps provide guidance to Seth before the attack. He might be killed off around the beginning, but the rest of the story could show if his words hold, or if the sadism of Janus wins out. So I think I'll tentatively add the character of 'Sha'. A member of the 'Order of the word' which would provide a link to the teachings of the Book of the word and other possible faiths.

Going back to another addition Sha would have no last name or house name. Essentially when he joined the order all ties to the previous life are severed and his existance from then on out is in dedication to the teachings of the lords. Spiritual orders will be provided a one name basis if they want. Another would be war orphans.

Since war orphans have no house or family of their own that they may know of, kind of like Starbuck in 'The Man with Nine Lives' until he found Shameleon, they would only have one name as they build a family or house of their own. If Starbuck knew of Shameleons identity his name would come out like this.

Starbuck san Shameleon den (House unknown)

But since he doesn't Starbuck remains 'Starbuck'. And he could be determined as founder of his own house.

I've also decided that the term 'house' signifying family house, would be referred to as 'den'. In some ways 'den' can be referred to as 'home'. So using Dalton from Richard Hatch's novels her name would probably come out like this...

Dalton sa Starbuck den Shameleon.

With this it would be obvious as to why one name would be preferred. But I think it works. We'll see when the ideas are applied.
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #24
JSC1
Warrior

Hey, sorry this took a while, but sometimes it's hard to find time to do a lot of stuff.

Here's the next list of names and tidbits I came across. This one from Viking mythology.

Vanir
Aesir
Yam-sea
Nahar-river
Adon-short for Adonis

Three sisters:
Ashera-semetic-Queen of Heaven
Qudshu-Egyptian(bonus note here)-holiness
Ashima-the measurer, fate, portion

Shimti-fate
Sigyn-wife of Loki(I think people know who Loki is)

Nari and Vali-Sons of Loki. Vali associated with the wolf. Nari was killed
Heimdall-Guardian of the gods
Ragnarok-Final Destiny of the gods. Destruction and rebirth. (Two survivors)
Odin-Wanderer-Kind-Death
Ask and Embla-First humans
Loourr-Fruit, land, people, to attract
Freyr-Agriculture, weather, phallic fertility god
Baldr-light and beauty
Valkyrs-Valkyrja-chooer of the slain (Perhaps a name like Valja could be formed here)
Skuld-debt-future
Skogul-Shaker-who was with her
Gunnr-war
Hildr-battle
Gondul-wandwielder
Sigurd-(Sirard)-hero
Regin-wisdom and deftness of hand
Vor-careful one 'wisdom'
Var-pledge (oaths and agreements)
Syn-defensive refusal (guards door to the hall and shuts them to those that have refusal to enter)
Sol-old norse for sun (sunna) {so that's where we get solar system from}
Snotra-wisdom (Was able to get the name 'Sora' from this-may be able to use it in book. Beats using the word 'snot'.)
Sif-(golden hair)-farming and fertility
Saga-treasure
Ran-theft, robbery
Njorun-the Earth
Nerio-Roman war goddess and personification of valor (another bonus name)
Enyo(Bellona)-War (Counterpart to Ares)

Associations with the moon
Hjuki-health
Bil-moment

Nine worlds:
Alfheimr
Asgard
Jolunheimr
Midgard
Muspelheim
Nisavellir
Nifheim
Svartalfaheimr
Vanaheimr

All nine connected by Yggrasil

Sun terms:Sol, Arvakr & Alsviol
Moon terms:Mani, Hjuki & Bil
Earth terms: Joro, Fjorgyn

Tyr-Single combat, victory and heroic glory

Well that's what I've got for Nores/Viking. I'd get more, but I think I have a lot more miles to go.

I guess the Aztecs are next on the list.

I'll get to them when time permits.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Looks like your doing a lot of excellent research for the project..

Battlestar Earth admin
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM   #26
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
I think Oriental cultures use the terms 'san' and 'sa' to describe sons and daughters. I know Russians usa an 'a' at the end of a last name to indicate a son or daughter. So I figure I might try something like this.

Selena sa Seth

Or

Apollo san Adama.

Don't know if I'll do something that designates royal house or anything like that. I'll have to see how the research progresses.
FYI, sa is son and sat is daughter in ancient egyptian
per aa means great (royal) house, whos usage dates from the Ramesses as the derivative of pharaoh

Hebrew usage is ben/bat ??

Icelandic names still have the suffix -dottir or -sson meaning daughter or son, I seem to recall this means Magda Hildadottir is daughter of Hilda, but her brother might be Sven Ericsson, being son of Eric

Cheers,
Lara
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #27
JSC1
Warrior

Thanks Lara. This helps.

I'm working on Aztec right now. There are a lot of names there. That civilization had 100 gods in its pantheon.

When I'm finished going through the different mythologies I'm hoping that maybe a section of the boards could be used as a mythlological knowledge bank where posters can add stories, names, etc for their own inspirations. I'll ask about it when I'm done. However that will take some time.

In the meantime I had an idea of how a Galactica continuation project could go, and I wanted to post it here as a matter of record.

I was thinking about the first limited series of Transformers posted by Dreamwave Comics years back. Essentially a terrorist put a bomb on the Ark II as the Transformers were going back to Cybertron so he could sell tehm as weapons to the highest bidder. Megatron woke up and decided to pass judgement on the human race for all the 'evil' it had done. Prime, who had also been dormant, rises to the defense seeing the good of humanity. Which nowadays is hard to see. The bad takes center stage it seems.

What I was thinking was that a continuation would happen yahrens later when most of the old guard is gone. New guard. They had fought the Cylons and won. A faction that rises to power decides that the Cylons would be servants as pennance for their atrocities. Warnings ensue, but they are shouted down.

Yahrens later the Cylons receive a signal from their leader and they revolt. The Cylons remember their directive to exterminate the humans, but now they have reason. Even if not all of them enslaved them they conclude it is best for the empire that ALL humans must die.

Somewhere else a restoration project in the Colonial museum is taking place. The Galactica is restored using original blueprints. But when the Cylons revolt the Galactica is called into service to save humanity. Or what's left of it. There is more to the restoration project as well if anyone's asking.

Cylons exterminate humans. The only reason why they would spare any is to see why they survived their first attack so they can kill more effectively next time.

Just a posting of an idea here. Although the 'killing of humans and seeing how they survive' angle may go into my fan project. This post was just a record posting I want to keep if I am able to do this idea professionally someday.

I'll let you know when I'm done with the Aztecs.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:01 AM   #28
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
When I'm finished going through the different mythologies I'm hoping that maybe a section of the boards could be used as a mythlological knowledge bank where posters can add stories, names, etc for their own inspirations. I'll ask about it when I'm done. However that will take some time.
It will be cool. I'm convinced a lot of people have collected a lot of stuff that would be useful to other fanfic writers. Having it handy would be a great blessing.

Working out story scenarios is like a puzzle, a great mental challenge that requires access to imagination, historical facts, fictional 'facts' (ie cannon lore) as well as skills in language and story. (the passion is a given..)

Having all that stuff bubbling away in your head can be more of a mental workout than the Times crossword!

Cheers,
Lara
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #29
JSC1
Warrior

Still juggling a few balls. Got a lot going on, but this is not far from my thoughts.

Still I had another idea for a continuation project I wanted to get down before I lost it. Essentially it would involve a counterpart to the Book of the Word. It would be called 'The Book of Iblis'.

'The Book of Iblis' would be released to the public citing how the Kobollian faith (or Caprican faith) had kept it sealed away for Thousands of Yahrens. And due to the outcry of censorship people had been turning away from the faith embracing the darkness of evil the Book of Iblis spoke. Some would even say 'Iblis Rocks' out of jest. Probably not sure what the consequences are. Or whatever name is spoken of.

It would be reminiscent of the teen in high school that often said 'Satan Rules' as if wanting to thumb his nose at religion because it's cool. Compared to others who might actually believe in the word of Iblis, this could be considered a stepping stone.

Anyway this is just an idea I wanted to file away. Maybe serve as a rallier for a new bad guy. Have to get back to a whole bunch of other stiff. One of them being research.
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #30
JSC1
Warrior

You know what? If I try to get all the names I can on Aztec mythology I'd go nuts. So I'm going to write down what looks good and post a link to the wiki page for the rest.

Call it lazy if you want but I have other mythologies to look through. Not to mention an upgrade for my CDL to look into. So here's what I have below.

On second thought I'll put down the wiki link and put the names I got down later. Then I'll go to the next mythology on the list. But consider Aztec one of those mythologies I'll need help researching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_Mythology