Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old December 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier The Enhanced Re-Edit

Was checking up some things on youtube can came across these clips of a good edit remastering of Star Trek 5 in terms of its SFX effects being redone over, via a fan CGI attempt.

He calls himself 'TREK5SE'!

I know this usually brings up the modern effects verses digital CGI creations and how one shouldn't be too involved nor taken away by its appeal so much. But this fan effort does look to be the work of a labor of love for Trek in general. And if ever a movie needed a true SFX do over its Star Trek 5. The clips of the fan effort are done by a Dutch fan from Holland apparently, and his first trailer clip was put on months ago, he has recently updated his page a week ago with 2 more.

Must say its a neat addition and i like what i see. I'll probably get my own youtube channel next year or so, with plans of my own, of what i'd like to do and maybe i'll share an opinion with this guy. The clips he's put up are sweet, although i'd comment about the shuttle sequence being out of perspective somewhat as the shot looks a little off and small-ish to be matched up, with 'POV' and progressive camera pan of the landing of the shuttle in the Enterprise bay, from so early on in beginning of the movie.

Other than that. Its quite great overall, and nice to watch. Music from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly suit this montage sequence trailer of his re-edit, surprisingly well enough.

I haven't got a youtube account yet, for anyone who does. Pass on my thanks and ask him what else he is planning with this edit of his?

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - The Enhanced Re-edit - Test CGI Montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbJ9pG6Sv0

Star Trek 5 new CG sample: Klingons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPRsN5pQpk

Star Trek 5 new CG sample: Enterprise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4419uUhaUw

Enjoy!

KJ
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier The Enhanced Re-Edit

This editor's added another video showing his work.

Enjoy!

nimbus arrival test.avi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxvZ3JRNAew

KJ
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Hmmm, this fella added another neat clip on his youtube account page!

See for yourselves...

Star Trek 5 new CG sample: nimbus departure test.avi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1T2A-r1v8s

Unfinished but good looking methinks.

Gotta get an account of my own next year and comment on vids like these over there?

KJ
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

That this guy needs his own webpage and hasn't done so, instead of his stuff being on youtube is a mystery? Why this isn't garnering any comment on here i don't know.

Sweet fanmade SE additional cut footage. This version of the great barrier crossing is different than what was seen in his teaser ST:V trailer though! beautiful CGI animations to be seen i must say, a little rough in terms of movement around the 1:18 mark but fantastic stuff none the less.

Star Trek 5 the barrier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0xO_L1joI

Enjoy!
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #5
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

I've been following that on and off, and I love what he is doing with it. While its not the best film of the series, one of my biggest disappointments with it was the poor visuals they went with instead of ILM. This is at least making it visually what it should be. Will be curious to see if he tries to fix any of the hokier parts of the story.

Although I still can watch ST5 more than I can watch any of the Next Gen movies. Loved ST:TNG when it ran on-air, and saw all but the last TNG movie in the theaters. But for some reason they do not have the rewatchability of the original series movies for me. Maybe the fact that you can have the chance to end the legendary career of Captain Kirk, and they get some hack writer who comes up with him falling off a bridge? Who the f*ck wrote that crap?!
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

He who shall not be named because of something else he did.

No further comment.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Great hearing from you David, long time since we've chinwagged a little. Yeah While ST:V isn't the greatest Star Trek movie, it doesn't quite deserve the harsh lable its been labled with over the years. This guy's TREK5SE only proves it can be fixed, nd goes to show us what Paramount should've done years back when doing the original Trek movie DVD's in the early 2000's 9 or 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Loved ST:TNG when it ran on-air, and saw all but the last TNG movie in the theaters. But for some reason they do not have the rewatchability of the original series movies for me.
Agreed! TNG has suffered in how it came around during the rather PC cheesyness of the 80's TV era. While 60's trek broke ground and smartly written 80's Trek came when TV gave out too many morals and messages instead of smartly made stories and thus i think it was always one of TNG's weaknesses and achillies heels! And thus its movies followed suit although "First Contact" is its only good flick, that doesn't make up for the rest of the 3 movies and 7 seasons of TNG worse elements. Harsh but true.

Will be curious to see if he tries to fix any of the hokier parts of the story

Reckon if he trims some fat and "colour corrects" some of the film's shots that need fixing, he'll repair what should've been from Paramount, since they didn't give Shatner a SE of ST:V 6 or 7 years ago to do.

This along with Space 2099, Adywan's Star Wars Re-edits and unofficial but seemingly professional fan edits across the web of TV shows and movies alike. I swear a Battlestar Galactica Remastered re-edit gonna be done by somebody one day?, so perhaps BG fandom on here could push for it before that happens though?

KJ
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
He who shall not be named because of something else he did.

No further comment.
Shall we wrap him up, put him in a coffin, scrape his name off, and bury it in a crypt on Kobol???
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote